nick johns
Years ago

U18 VC Champs Grand Final???

who are the two favorites for the Grand Final??

Topic #35229 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Pen and Melboure....would be favourites!

Reply #489868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question, what do we think of finals going down to 8th place?

8 out of 10 is really too many I think, why not just have every team play finals and not leave two teams out?

VC and VC Reserve go to 8 for the finals, not sure of other divisions, but I think rewarding a team third or fourth from the bottom is a bit much!

Reply #490181 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well Melbourne took a hit last night going down to Bulleen, I am guessing that Melbourne did not have a full line up?

Diamond Valley/Southern Pen game was a cracker, if Melbourne have injuries that will carry through the series I can see it being a DV Vs SP final.

Reply #490366 | Report this post

VIC PARENT  
Years ago

Anyone know the result of the Blackburn Melb 18B game. Initially the VJBL had the result as Melb 83 Blackburn 41, which is an almighty thumping. Now it says 41-0 Blackburn way.

Reply #490979 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Melbourne thumped Blackburn 84-41, not sure why score was changed but assume it is a typo.

Reply #490985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC Reserve 18 Men is also interesting with second week of finals coming up. Most games going on form so far, can an upset occur in week two of finals?

Hawthorn(5th) 62 too strong for Camberwell (8th) 42
(Camberwell now out so Hawthorn play Eltham, tough game this one)

Nunawading (2nd) 51 lost to Warrandyte (3rd) 88
(Big result for Venom, now the Spectres take on Supercats and Venon get a rest)

Sandringham (1st) 57 got over Eltham (4th) 45
(Sabres look the goods and will benefit from a bye)

Geelong (6th) 73 disposed of Dandenong2 (7th) 58
(Rangers gone, Supercats may be a dark horse)

Reply #490991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC 18 Men looks like this after round one of finals:

Knox (6th) 56 going down to McKinnon (7th) 66
(Ending the agony for a disppointed Raiders outfit)

Melbourne (2nd) 84 smacked Blackburn (3rd) 41
(Tigers flexed their muscle, a surprising margin)

Dandenong (1st) 50 beat Diamond Valley (4th) 40
(Hard to go past the Rangers, danger game coming for Eagles)

Waverley (5th) 73 too good for Keilor (8th) 53
(Thunder gone and maybe the sleeper here is the Falcons)

Reply #490993 | Report this post

VIC PARENT  
Years ago

So DV play Waverley? and McKinnon play Blackburn?
Anyone have an educated guess on which way these too games will go.
Did Blackburn have both the VM Bigs playing? Owies must be worth a lot of points with his IQ if he was the only inclusion, he can play.

Reply #491002 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Blackburn certainly had both their VM bigs playing. Tigers just never let the Vikings into the game, outplayed them in every aspect.

Reply #491004 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Worth mentioning - Tigers did not have two VM players... shear defensive pressure took space and time from Blackburn, the game was practically over after Q1

Reply #491013 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

18 Boys Reserve

Sandringham await the winner of Geelong or Nunawading

Warrandyte await the winner of Hawthorn or Eltham

The winners will meet in the Grand Final

In regular season games Sandringhams record against Geelong was 2-0 and Nunawading 1-0

Warrandytes against Hawthorn 2-0 and against Eltham 2-0

It's setup for a Sandringham v Warrandyte GF and they are probably the 2 in form teams of the comp(take away Sandringhams draw to Coburg??), and in their one and only meeting it was a 3 point game

Don't count out any others though. Hawthorn have improved over the season, nunawading were on a 5 game win streak before getting thumped by Warrandyte by 37. Geelong are tough with their bigs and Eltham although not in great form currently, have shown they can compete with the big boys.

I would give advice on the champ section aswell but haven't seen enough of it.
Cheers

Reply #491019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ET your predictions are not bad, I have also seen heaps of VC Res' 18's mens games this season and what stands out is that teams have been decimated at times with injuries and illness etc.

Some games have a team rocking up with only 6 players, no wonder results have been up and down. The grand finals may come down to which team can play their full list of 10, otherwise it can be hard to cover the loss of one or two key players, espeically in the higher division finals games like these.

Reply #491139 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

Good point Anon, although from what I've noticed Coburg, Dandenong(2), and Kilsyth were the only noticeable teams to me that arrived with maybe 6/7 players tops, and they finished 7th,9th and 10th. The teams left in have seemed to have pretty full lineupsfrom what I've noticed. But I obviously haven't seen them every week.

Reply #491239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats had 6 against Dandenong2 three weeks ago and have had all 10 available only twice the whole season. Also played with 7 a few times due to injuries, if they hit their straps could do some damage.

Reply #491249 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

Ok I thought Geelong probably should have been doing a bit better than their results have shown. If they've been down to 6 players that doesn't help, especially if they were missing that height they have. I notice they turned the result around against Dandenong2 for a 15 point win last Friday, after losing to them by 10 a couple weeks earlier

Reply #491257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had 9 on Friday mate, hope they can have all available against Nuna' because they also have size but it is the guards that have been injured for Geel which has hurt them all season.

Turnovers and possession, bigs have been dominant everything else being equal.

Reply #491260 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

491260 .Watched first half Friday Night , There guards were looking good to me. Bonus they could get the ball to the bigs to finish off.

Reply #491426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah @Vic Parent the main point guard played his first game for a while and the second PG was still out and has been for 6 weeks, hope he is back this week. Geel's losses have come from missing their main PG's in other games, not being able to do what they did last Fri night. Should be a good game v Nuna

Reply #491441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne v Dandenong in Boys 18 VC Champ

Warrandyte v Sandringham in Boys 18 VC Reserve

Reply #491623 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Interesting results in the U18 Girls with Diamond Valley knocked out in straight sets after going down to Werribee, and Melbourne regaining traction easily taking care of Eltham.

Prelims: Melbourne V Southern Pen & Bulleen V Werribee

Reply #492496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18 Boys Champ Prelims

Melbourne v Diamond Valley
Dandenong v Blackburn
(Blackburn got through with a shot on the buzzer against McKinnon , I watched this game and it was a great contest, McKinnon hit the go ahead basket with 6 seconds to go, Blackburn with no timeouts left took it the length if the court and hit a mid range pull-up as time was expiring to take it by 1 point. Great game!)

18 Boys Reserve Prelims

Warrandyte v Hawthorn
Sandringham v Geelong

Reply #492507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn and Geelong earned their chance to play another round in VC Reserve, the games don't get any easier though. Warrandyte are a very even team, hard to beat and Sandringham seem to have the wood over Geelong.

I saw the Supercats v Specters game at Werribee, it was tight and neither team got into a double digit lead at any time. Supercats held their nerve to hit key foul shots and take a 4 point lead with seconds only left. A three by the Specters at the end left them one point short, great game with many highlights.

Reply #492533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could that be the 16s VC game you saw that was a 1 point margin? Website says the 18s was 59-49

Reply #492573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got it mixed up anon^, VJBL will correct that error soon I expect.

Reply #492626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh ok!

Reply #492636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Ashke Im not sure if you were at the games but I would say Melbourne didn't easily take care of Eltham at all. If Melbourne don't get their act together, Southern Peninsula are going to knock them out of finals. Credit to Eltham although their coach is awful.
The Werribee v Diamond Valley game was certainly a shock. It looked like DV couldn't handle the zone and Werribee shot pretty well. My guess is Werribee will beat Bulleen and progress to the final.

Reply #492731 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah fair call anon (492731), though i don't think anyone on Melbourne's team felt like Eltham was ever going to win.

Reply #493514 | Report this post

Radical  
Years ago

Werribee 18Gs have been playing extremely well. Their zone is tough to beat and they all shoot well. Bulleen has lost to them once and beat them on the buzzer the other time. So Anon (4927310 is right they could and should beat them.

Melbourne have definitely gone backwards and Sth Pen should be favourites - remember they won the classic beating Melb in semis I think.

So I can see a Werribee vs Sth Pen final....

Reply #493530 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

18 VC res boys
Warrandyte def Hawthorn by 5
Sandringham def Geelong by 26

Warrandyte v Sandringham Grand final

18 VC champ boys
Dandenong def Blackburn by 13
Melbourne def Diamond Valley by 16

Dandenong v Melbourne Grand Final

I Think both grades went to script in the end.

Good luck to all teams!

Reply #493875 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

VC U18 Girls

Southern Pen def Melbourne in double O/T.
Bulleen def Werribee, great finals run by the devils!

Southern Pen Vs Bulleen GF.

Southern Pen got up by 16 odd points last time they met.

Reply #493934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC Reserve men 18's final will be a cracker, I predict the Sabres to come out on top in that one.

They pressured the Supercats guards into many turnovers and made their passing very difficult, taking away any post play Geelong tried to establish which was aided by the loss of their second big to illness before the game.

The Sabre's bigs tallied up 13 fouls between the 3 of them, not allowing any clean ball inside to the only big Geelong had, the game plan worked a treat resulting in poor outside shooting % and a lack of help D inside all night ending the game early.

Then a strange call on the Geelong swing man resulted in a tech on him for complaining, then a tech on the G coach and half a second later a second tech on the coach who was ejected.

I think the official was too quick on the draw and decided he was going to eject him regardless, what a knob of decision from a ref! He was on the other side of the court, probably didn't even hear anything said, just threw him out without a warning. Total knob!

Warrandyte have a better team to combat the outside shooting and can defend better in more positions, so it will be a very different game in the final, however a close win to the Sabres may be the final result.

Reply #493980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Rick Baldwin and his merry men. Rick has been a breathe of fresh air to Dandenong and brought in his values of respect and integrity and made that group of players play as a tight team. Rick has worked tirelessly to show the boys professionalism and not to show arrogance or disrespect to other teams.
One thing the game Friday night vs Melbourne will be a cracker and good luck to both teams

Reply #493991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky certainly has done a marvellous job with his team

Reply #494004 | Report this post

Boomers  
Years ago

Bulleen have three VC grand finalists 14,16 and 18 girls. Great for the program and Director of Coaching Darren Perry

Reply #494054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18 VC boys
Melbourne by 6 points

18 VCR boys
Warrandyte by 10 points

18 VC girls
Bulleen by 2 points

18 VCR girls
Dandenong by 15

Reply #494435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes big mistake by dandenong getting rid of perry, an asset to any program

Reply #494439 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

All pretty close really, anyone at a game wish to share how it went?

How did Warrandyte defeat Sandringham in VC Res boys?

Reply #494456 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

@Bear

This is a prediction, the games are this Friday

Reply #494463 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, gottcha...

My predictions then:

18 VC boys
Melbourne by 13 points

18 VCR boys
Sandringham by 8 points

18 VC girls
Bulleen by 12 points

18 VCR girls
Dandenong by 5

Reply #494467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Saw Sandringham v Warrandyte in boys 18VC res tonight.

Was a cracker with scores tied up 55-55 with about a min to play. A couple of shots didn't drop for Warrandyte which were really good looks and Sandringham converted a few free throws to take it by 4 points 59-55.

Good game to watch and it can be found here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMv0gDtuAiM

Reply #494845 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

@Bear

right on the dot re Melbourne, 58:45 over Dandenong. Peatling by far the best Dandenong player, Owies from Melbourne won the MVP

Reply #494860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls VC Southern Pen over Bulleen 54-49, no real surprise there I would have thought. Always going to be a close game between these two.

Girls VC Reserve saw Dandenong defeat Kilsyth 72-61, probably the favourite won this one.

Reply #494867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Pen Girls this year have won:
Div 1 Country Champs
National Junior Classic
VC Championship

Don't expect to see any sort of acknowledgement from Basketball Vic for this COUNTRY team....

Reply #494881 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

No real surprise that Southern Pen won, huh, i shall just scroll through these comments and count how many people tipped them. Great good either way Sharks!

Reply #494894 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

probably wont get any acknowledgement from Basketball Country Vic either LOL

fantastic effort from these STH PEN ladies and their support crew

Reply #494904 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well done to the winning teams this year in VC and VC Reserve, the strength of programs from Dandenong, Sandringham and the South East of Melbourne remains evident.

Bulleen, Dandenong and Southern Peninsula appear to be leading the charge for the girls, it will be interesting to see if this continues next season.

Similarly it will be interesting to see if Melbourne and Dandenong are challenged in the boys under 18 divisions of VC next season...

I believe quite a few bottom age kids, especially in the boys, played this season. I also look forward to seeing some of the top kids playing in Youth League next season.

Reply #494906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tipping Bulleen will again have 2 teams in the top 8 next year

Reply #494927 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah agree, Bulleen will have 2 in the top 8. Dandenong will be extremely strong and can't really see anyone challenging them, as will Sandy. Southern Pen will be top 8 team again with half of this years team being bottom age. Eltham will be the interesting one as they will not have their superstar, and I can't see their coach meeting the challenge ahead, so I can see them slipping a bit next season.

At an extremely long distance guess:

1. Dandenong
2. Bulleen
3. Sandringham
4. Eltham
5. Southern Pen
6. Bulleen 2
7. Melbourne
8. Nunawading
9. Werribee
10. Knox/Diamond Valley/Geelong/who cares

Reply #494934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And an extremely long look at the men?

Reply #494948 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I reckon Bear would be best for this one, Bear?

Reply #494951 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Very hard to look at now, but in no particular order I think the men's VC will possibly include:

Melbourne
Waverley
Sandringham
Dandenong
Knox
Kilsyth
Geelong
Diamond Valley
Nunawading
And any one of about 6 others...

The spanner in the works will be if Ballarat or Bendigo or Maffra decide to enter, so hard to judge until the early rounds of grading, happy for anyone else to have a go!

Reply #494958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sthn Pen will struggle.......

Reply #494963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth won't be up there for 18 men

Reply #494968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn for 18 Men made the Grand final in 16 boys as top age so you'd expect them to be up there top age 18s

Reply #494970 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

True if you try to judge bottom age kids this year who are staying in their 18's program it should make that team stronger.

Not sure how many bottom agers Hawthorn had, also Warrandyte and Werribee to name a few, but 16's coming up are interesting...

Talent is definitely coming from Dandenong, Melbourne, Knox and Geelong, also Sandringham and Nunawading I think!

For the boys programs anyway...

Reply #494999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree re Sth pen, think that whole team was top age 18, not as strong coming through, but still should be competitive it's a great program they are developing down there for the girls at least

Reply #495000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Dand/Melb game. great game. sad for Dand as they are great team and well coached. good game but. shooting not great from either. state guard combo of owies/corneilsen are too good at both ends. they are best in league.

Owies got mvp and deserved it would have scored most points and prob took 70% of total team shots. not great % (prob low teens) but this looked like game plan. corneilsen stood outside arc and owies drove. defence would not sag and help given corneilsens shot. prob cost dandy game.

Dandy hit a few big 3s and took steals in fourth to get back into game but wasnt enough. McCarthy did not get many minutes but was good as was Alison who is underrated. but tigers guards were too good both ends - stealing and trapping all night forcing too many turnovers. hardly left the court and controlled everything.

overall good game

Reply #495003 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Thought it was pretty clear in my previous statement, HALF, is in 4/8, as in 50% of that Southern Pen team was BOTTOM AGE.

They will be top 8 at the very least.

Reply #495006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke you're kidding yourself.

Reply #495013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke with a few uneducated comments and Bear just naming big clubs some of whom have never even been in the ball park in that age group.
C'mon fellas you're better than that

Reply #495014 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Guys by all means list your predicted rankings, don't just can others. I am confident in the list I posted, lets see what educated list you have then hero.

Reply #495015 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks ^^anon, yes most all of the clubs I think may make VC 18 men next season are big clubs, agree. Happy to debate it too if you are able to give your own opinion of course...

Not sure which clubs you think have never been in the ball park for that age group though, confusing post??

Reply #495028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw 18 boys too. good game have seen these boys play for a few years now I agree that Melb guards are v good Saw them play the 16 VC finals 2 years ago and Cornelison was the best on court If he didn't get injured with a few minutes to go he would have won MVP That went to the loosing team Diamond Valley. Cant believe he did not make the Melb team last year He should have left Tigers like Karabatsis who went to Diamond Valley He would have been noticed in a team which relied on him more. The kid has the best shot I have seen when he is on and he has good size and defence as well. Prob a bit too much of a team player at Tigers which means he does not see the ball enough

Reply #495067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke, Sth Pen have 4 bottom ages from the championship team who can play next season, don't know if they are all returning. The rest are from the u/16's who won div 2 this year, new coach as well. Will definitely struggle. May just scrape into VC or will play VC Reserve.

Reply #495083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Bear

I know Hawthorn and Warrandyte had atleast 4 bottom age kids each in the 18 boys. Werribee had atleast 1, and that 1 was state under 16s as top age. These clubs may be up there again.

Reply #495089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Geelong had 6 bottom age players this year in VC Reserve and some state players in the 16's top age coming up will add to their talent next season.

Any other team in VC or Reserve with 6 or more bottom age this year in the 18's?

Melbourne had 5 or 6 a year ago I think, before they lost most to the AIS?

Reply #495097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754