Isaac
Years ago

ABC's World Cup coverage - wow

Amazing support from the ABC:

The Airbnb Australian Boomers begin their 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup against Slovenia on Saturday night LIVE on ABC2 - the home of the Australian Boomers 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup campaign.

In a coup for Australian sports fans, ABC and ABC2 will be televising ALL Airbnb Boomers games, ALL Team USA games and ALL games from the Quarter Finals through to the Gold Medal Game LIVE around the country.

The ABC commentary team will be headlined by Airbnb Boomers legend Shane Heal and basketball guru John Casey, providing all the insight and analysis from Spain.

An icon of Australian basketball, Heal represented the Airbnb Boomers on 197 occasions across three Olympic Games and two FIBA Basketball World Cups, while Casey has long-been regarded as the voice of Australian basketball on the international stage – most recently commentating at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Heal believes the Airbnb Boomers are capable of building on the momentum around basketball by pushing for a medal in Spain.

"This is such an exciting time for Australian basketball and the Boomers program," Heal said.

“We've got a young and exciting core that has NBA and top European pedigree that will play without fear and take the game to their opponents.

“Andrej (Lemanis – Head Coach) has put together a great team that has a great mix of emerging talent and seasoned veterans capable of going deep into the tournament.”

This unprecedented coverage of the biggest tournament in international basketball will be taken to another level, with fans getting all the latest news and insight from Spain on the nightly program – Double Dribble.

Hosted by Dave Thornton and Ronny Chieng, the special premiere episode of Double Dribble airs on Saturday 30 August at 8:50pm AEST and continues every night of the tournament at 8:20pm AEST on ABC2.

The coverage of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup tips-off with a bang this weekend, with the premiere of Double Dribble leading into the Airbnb Boomers opening game against Slovenia on Sunday at 1:26am (AEST) on ABC2 before Team USA face Finland at 5:18am (AEST) on ABC.

For the latest 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup broadcast information please check your local ABC and ABC2 guides.

Airbnb Australian Boomers TV schedule

Airbnb Boomers v Slovenia
Sunday 31 August @ Gran Canaria Arena 1:30am (All times AEST)
TV: LIVE on ABC2 at 1:26am (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 12:56am (SA, NT); 11:26pm (WA)
Live Stats

Airbnb Boomers v Korea
Sunday 31 August @ Gran Canaria Arena 9:30pm
TV: LIVE on ABC2 at 9:26pm (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 8:56pm (SA, NT); 7:26pm (WA)
Live Stats

Airbnb Boomers v Lithuania
Wednesday 3 September @ Gran Canaria Arena 1:30am
Live Stats

Airbnb Boomers v Mexico
Wednesday 3 September @ Gran Canaria Arena 9:30pm
Live Stats

Airbnb Boomers v Angola
Thursday 4 September @ Gran Canaria Arena 9:30pm
Live Stats

Team USA TV schedule

Team USA v Finland
Sunday 31 August @ Bizkaia Arena 5:30am (All times AEST)
TV: LIVE on ABC at 5:18am (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 4:48am (SA, NT); 3:18am (WA)

Team USA v Turkey
Monday 1 September @ Bizkaia Arena 5:30am
TV: LIVE on ABC at 5:26am (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 4:56am (SA, NT); 3:26am (WA)

Team USA v New Zealand
Wednesday 3 September @ Bizkaia Arena 1:30am
TV: ABC2 at 3:30am (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 3:00am (SA, NT); 1:30am (WA)

Team USA v Dominican Republic
Thursday 4 September @ Bizkaia Arena 5:30am
TV: LIVE on ABC at 5:26am (Vic, NSW, Tas, ACT); 4:56am (SA, NT); 3:26am (WA)

Team USA v Ukraine
Friday 5 September @ Bizkaia Arena 5:30am

*(All times subject to change)

Topic #35243 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

U got a link to the article?

Reply #490020 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

have noticed quite a few ads on abc for it as well..

i think the media has to be careful about overhyping this team though. They are making it sound as if we are going to definitely be playing off for a medal.

Reply #490025 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loads of games we want to see plus nightly panel show. Sounds pretty good to me.

Reply #490027 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is awesome coverage - ground breaking really! We have never seen international coverage of basketball covered this extensively in Australia!

Reply #490036 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Nothing but good news for the sport. Not to the same extent but hopefully a good showing at the cup will increase the profile of basketball in Australia much like the 2010 soccer world cup did for soccer in Australia.... With 6, possibly 7 Aussies in the league and potential back to back #1 picks in the next few years, its a good time to be an Australian basketball fan.

Reply #490039 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Well don ABC, great for basketball.

Reply #490045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next anyone who knows anyone with a ratings device on their TV has to invite themselves over and make them watch so ABC get some decent numbers and the networks take a look at the sport.

Without ratings this could very well be a once off.

Reply #490047 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Very jealous. No love for it in SE Asia. Aus basketball looking good post KK - hopefully Anthony Moore continues the improvement!

Reply #490048 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

SKY Sport here in NZ will be showing ALL Tall Blacks games Live

Reply #490051 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It probably helps that basketball has gone from the wilderness to prime media time with Mills & Baynes winning the NBA title with the Spurs, bringing the trophy to Australia and then Dante Exum and Cameron Bairstow drafted into the big show. And with the future of Simmons, Thon Maker, Humphries etc. we're looking pretty strong in the future, world class.

Problem is though, we're still very young at the moment, Exum won't be dominant yet by the looks of things and we have Mills & Bogut out injured. I don't think we'll come close to winning a medal this time around. However, in 2018, touch wood in regards to injuries, we should be looking damn fine.

Reply #490052 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I presume Qld is AEST also??

Reply #490059 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Call me crazy but I find USA games boring. Just too many dunks and alley oopswhich I don't find that exciting tbh. Love watching traditional basketball ala Spain.

Great coverage by ABC nevertheless.

Reply #490071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic coverage by the ABC and a real boost for basketball in Australia with the NBL going into a contract year given the TV deal with Ten expires at the end of this season.

Reply #490073 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, this is what we are talking about isn't it?? My Foxtel-IQ will be going into overdrive, go Boomers!

Reply #490075 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Do they play 2 games a day? One in morning & night?

Reply #490080 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - 2 games within 24 hours for the Boomers to open their campaign.

Reply #490088 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

2 games in 24 hours that will really test some players!

Reply #490095 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

man I love the ABC.

Stuff like this makes up for the 15 years of The Bill and Keeping Up Appearances repeats....

Reply #490103 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The ABC is pretty damn good for TV content in general. This is great for basketball. Pity about the sucky timezones though. Still basketball seems to finally be dragging itself back into the mainstream.

Now if only Channel 7, 9, 10 and SBS will join the party...

Reply #490120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Time zone is ok for prelims, three games close to prime time.

Reply #490136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be replays at a decent hour?

Reply #490154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a DVR/PVR.

Reply #490168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I reading it right that we play Slovenia and then double up 16 or so hours later to play Korea?

Reply #490253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's standard, five games in six days.

Reply #490255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are some of the USA games not being shown in Perth? Only two of them are on my Foxtel TV guide.

Reply #490256 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Replays are apparently going to be available on ABC's iView

Reply #490300 | Report this post

mat b  
Years ago

Haha King Podge, my thoughts exactly

Reply #490379 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

So... unless I just have terrible detective skills, they only showed the US 1/4 final last night and won't be showing any the others tonight?

Reply #493536 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ABC has "Dropped the Ball" after failing to have broadcast any game at the QF stage other than the USA despite their earlier promise to do so.

Reply #493554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hated the coverage by the abc, the panel, the commentators, everything.

Live basketball.tv is way better and only cost $1 to watch all Men's World Cup and women's world champ games.

Reply #493555 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Livebasketball.tv has proven to be unreliable at best.

Reply #493560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite promising the world, the ABC fails again.

Reply #493573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754