sharod
Years ago

Surprise profile of Canada national squad

Just checking on this Canada squad lineup on wiki and feel surprise that it contains a full team NBA players. It is the best profile in terms of NBA players exposure outside the US team. No doubt they should appear to be a very strong team upcoming despite they are not in this world cup. And seems they have more young talents to come, I am wondering how can there be many young talents emerging suddenly in two or three years time, is that the product of their NBL success? I know they have NBL for few years now and there seems to be expansion initiation each year, but the league standard may not be as strong as ANBL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_basketball_team

Topic #35252 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are now seeing the first generation of players to come through that have grown up with an NBA team in their backyard. Can expect to see from here on in Canada rising.
Not unrealistic to expect from 2020 onwards the Canadians challenging the US at major tournaments.

Reply #490207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a behind the scenes doco coming soon about the number 1 Canada AAU team - CIA Bounce.

The trailer is here. I think Canada and Australia are the 2 country on the rise to compete with the likes of USA, Spain, Serbia and France in the next 5-10 years.

https://sports.vice.com/video/coming-of-age-andrew-wiggins-and-canadas-best-aau-team-trailer

Reply #490215 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I understand that you are all excited by young guys like Exum & Simmons but other countries also have talent coming through their ranks.

Reply #490232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+ Adel, Maker, Humphries

Reply #490239 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Has Maker represented Australia at any level? Sounds like Kyrie Irving 2.0

Reply #490247 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not multiple top 5 lottery picks in consecutive years though, Mystro.

Maker, Simmons, and Exum should all be top 5 picks, with Simmons and Maker a chance to both go no. 1 if they continue to hit their projected potential.

What other country, outside of the US and Canada can say that?

Reply #490249 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Should is the key word there Mick, Simmons & Maker haven't been drafted yet and anything can happen on draft night and in the weeks leading up.

Has Exum being picked in the top 5 of of this years draft helped the Boomers in their lead up to Spain? He hasn't shown much so far to justify how high he was picked apart from potential.

Has Maker represented Australia yet because as I said above, he sounds a whole heap like Kyrie Irving all over again?

Simmons looks to be the goods so far but is still pretty young & raw but will make an exciting tandem with Exum in the Green & Gold.

Reply #490257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What other country, outside of the US and Canada can say that?"

The good countries won't care, they'll be too busy trying to win games of international basketball!

Our potential is there for a number of years down the track, no doubt, but I'll start calling Australia a country on the rise when we start rising!

Reply #490259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Has Maker represented Australia yet because as I said above, he sounds a whole heap like Kyrie Irving all over again?"

Has Steven Adams represented NZ at any level?

Besides, Thon has expressed his desire to play for the Boomers, and lived in Australia a whole lot longer than Kyrie did (including playing in the Australian junior championships for NSW).

Reply #490264 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

well said Paul.

Reply #490268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mystro is obviously not an aussie and is enjoying his sour grapes.
Despite mystro casting is envious eyes
towards the bright future of Aussie basketball, there will be
even more fantastic talents coming through, like Humphries and
vasilijevic.

Reply #490292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia coach Andrej Lemanis is confident teenage sensation Thon Maker will commit to the Boomers after meeting with him in the United States.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/04/10/thon-maker-impresses-boomers-coach

Reply #490303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014 - Australia silver medal at U17 Worlds (no Thon Maker, Jock Perry or WiIl McDowell-White)
2013 - Australia finished top 4 at U19 worlds (no Ben Simmons)
2012 - Australia silver medal at U17 Worlds

The top talent is well covered, but the role players and depth is also coming through. If the juniors continue to develop they will be able to play against the world's best at the senior level, although development is key.

Sure they will talk about Ben Simmons, Thon Maker, Isaac Humprhies, but other players like Jonah Bolden, Nick Duncan, Jack Purchase, Dejan Vasiljevic, Mirko Djeric, etc are just going to be as important to round out the team.

Reply #490424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754