Anonymous
Years ago

Exum to come off the bench at WC

Earlier this year, Dante Exum was playing Australian high school basketball.

Though he's competed internationally and made a mark in summer league (not completely positive), Exum is still a mystery by top-five-pick standards.

So, I was particularly looking forward to watching him in the World Cup. I figured he’d have a huge role playing for Australia, not exactly a powerhouse.

But the Jazz guard won’t take over Team Australia.

Lemanis said Exum would likely come off the bench but every game would present a different challenge for the team and the player.

"Having Dante come off the bench and make an impact is something which is good for us," Lemanis said.

“He can change the pace of the game and with the initial energy out of the game, he can find his feet a bit easier and be more effective for this team.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/dante-exum-to-come-off-the-bench-for-australia-in-world-cup/

Topic #35254 | Report this topic

GWb  
Years ago

I don't like the "not exactly a powerhouse" line.. We are known as one of the 'up and coming' nations in world basketball.. have 7 NBA players, 5 of which are in the team, plus 2 former NBA players and a few guys knocking on the door.. We arem't yet a power house but we are surely in the mix.

Reply #490228 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you are currently ranked 9th which isn't bad but I consider teams that consistently medal like USA, Argentina & Spain powerhouses.

Reply #490230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't like the "not exactly a powerhouse" line.."

"We arem't yet a power house"

Uhhhh......

Reply #490233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a fair description as we've never even won a medal at the Olympics or WC before and nothing will change on that front this year either.

Reply #490237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The surprise isn't the Exum is coming off the bench but that Broekhoff may be the starting SG. Hopefully he can keep making shots because the Boomers have missed a reliable outside shooter for about as long as I've been watching them play. Always felt like Heal was a bit streaky, and then Maher went unused.

Reply #490244 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

My only concern would be Broekhoff's ability to defend SGs. By all accounts he struggles to defend SFs as it is but maybe someone who has seen more of him lately can elaborate on that.

Reply #490245 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I still prefer Goulding starting as I really think they need someone dynamic, and whilst Broekhoff has been shooting well from the 3pt and hopefully continues to get plenty of mins and shoot well, if scouted and defended well he doesn't offer much offence outside his 3pt shot whereas I think Goulding provide better balance to the offence alongside Delly (pass first guard)and Ingles (Pass first forward). But I agree with Isaac that Broekhoff's performance demands big mins.

As for starting PF- whilst it will probably be Andersen, his Defence has been frustrating as usual and I would prefer to see Motum (or Bairstow) in that starting PF role.Slovenia were beaten by the USA bigs not by size but by speed and I think Motum and Baynes provides the boomers with a front capable of disrupting and playing fast.

Reply #490250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not ready to start anyway, he certainly didn't prove his worth in the lead up games. I hope he turns it around though, you can clearly see his potential. It would be great if he had some kind of break out game at the tournament where he's consistent and aggressive throughout and fills the stat sheet. Could be a little glimpse of the future.. when he gets together.

Anyway, early days yet for his career..

Reply #490251 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Broekhoff and Ingles will be interchangeable in the wing positions. Looks likely Baynes and Andersen are starting in the frontcourt.

Reply #490254 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Broekhoff played as a 4 in college. Pick and pop guy. Needs others to get him the ball. Cant play as a two (ballhandling and D) Poor rebounder, best to use as a pinch hitter (shooter) at this level. Wont play unless making shots.

Reply #490273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor rebounder? He averaged 8.5RPG in 32.6MPG in his junior year of college. That's very good for a natural wing player.

Reply #490275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And so he should be coming off the bench he has zero experience at his age .

Reply #490285 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Broekhoff has gone from last man cut for London to starting 2 years later! He can shoot and rebound - as was mentioned earlier he had to play the 4-spot at Valparaiso and more than held his own.

Reply #490299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As did Delly, cut for the 2010 WC team starter two years later in London.

Reply #490342 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754