Anonymous
Years ago

Best import crop ever? Get behind the NBL !

WOW!!

I have been following the NBL since 1992.

The 1994 had an awesome import crop but this season may be the best ever!!

Spread the word everyone. Get behind the NBL.

It is going to be an awesome season.

Buy a Season ticket, you won't be disappointed.

Go to: nbl.com.au

Topic #35257 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

I agree MACDUB. When you look at the crop fro top to bottom it's hard to find stronger group on paper. Remains to be seen though if (any, some) of the first year guys, particularly the 2nd round draft picks can have similar impacts to Ennis and if Childress can regain something like his form of a few years ago.

Seeing as it's hoops can I also add some local flavour to the thread by complaining about why the 36ers only signed a SEABL import rather than an NBA star (even though I have never seen the guy play or have no idea of the financial situation at the club)

Reply #490290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey did reach out to Ron Artest with out any luck

Reply #490294 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Yes OP, I agree, it is going to be an awesome season - just not for Sixers with the great signings of a bench point guard, a bench old 3 point shooter losing his eye, and a SEABL player although not confirmed anywhere. Awesome compared to NBA drafts and ex European players and Boomers!

Reply #490304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best line up of imports ever on paper.

Reply #490306 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Spinner...Joey will make this team over-achieve you watch.

Reply #490312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So these are my grades for this year's imports:

Adelaide:
Daequon Montreal - Played well in the SEABL, but the NBL is on a whole other level. He's also pretty undersized for a guy who may have to play centre at some point.
Jamar Wilson - Proven at NBL level but play style disliked by some (with good reason).
Grade: D

Cairns:
Torrey Craig - Haven't seen or heard much about him, but he appears to bring athleticism and skill to the league, hopefully at a reasonable price.
Scottie Wilbekin - Starred at one of the best colleges in the NCAA, he transforms an otherwise subpar Cairns team into a team that could sneak into the playoffs.
Grade: B+

Melbourne:
Stephen Dennis - Was an early MVP candidate last season, his season rides on how well he recovers from his injury.
Jordan McRae - The guy is a versatile player who has NBA talent, just when NBL fans thought the big signings were done and dusted United reel in another big fish.
Grade: A-

New Zealand:
Ekene Ibekwe - A solid inside presence who was a solid contributor in Spain, a safe and solid signing by all accounts.
Cedric Jackson - The former league superstar needs no other introduction.
Grade: B+

Perth:
Jermaine Beal - Retaining the services of the Finals MVP was a smart move.
DeAndre Daniels - While hoping he'll be Ennis' successor may be too optimistic, I expect to star in his own way for Perth.
Grade: A

Sydney:
Josh Childress - Arguably the greatest signing in NBL history, I expect a guy of his reported character to give his all to live up to that billing
Kendrick Perry - More unknown, but he could get an NBA summer league spot he's probably worth a shot.
Grade: A-

Townsville:
Brian Conklin - Great last season, but with the import crop taking a step up, he may become lost in the crowd.
Mickell Gladness - The record setting centre will be an early DPOY favourite.
Grade: B

Wollongong:
Jahii Carson - Super-athletic for his size, should be a crowd favourite for his production as well as his flair.
Gary Ervin - Two point guards may be a risky move, but Ervin has the talent to be on par with Carson. Brings some fight to the table as well.
Grade: B-

Perth and Townsville are the only teams without import PG's. Melbourne may also start Tomlinson, so that makes three teams potenially starting local PG's. When's the last time that happen; NBL teams of course have a reputation of signing imports at the position.

Reply #490313 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think you are being kind giving Sixers a D

Reply #490319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where did Mac Dub ever post?

Reply #490320 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

One only has to look back through the posts on this site to see signings proudly announced by every club except the Sixers. In another post, I had tried to put a positive spin on the lack of news coming out of the club, but this is crap.......all these signings from other clubs, including marquee signings and we can't even confirm what we have or haven't got! We just have to keep blindly throwing our money at season tickets so we can at least okay a part in helping our club.

It is a shame that the club doesn't appear to want to help it self!!!!

Reply #490325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that the Sixers will still be okay because Joey is a good coach, but it's disappointing. Great for the League though!

Reply #490326 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Ekene Ibekwe, will last 3 months max

Reply #490330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOS 6 ers

Reply #490334 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"that makes three teams potenially starting local PG's. When's the last time that happen; NBL teams of course have a reputation of signing imports at the position."

Last season with four - D Martin, R Martin, Tomlinson and Markovic. Some would argue Gibson was the 36ers true PG last season.

Interesting fact, Cedric Jackson is the only import PG to start on an NBL championship team since Charles Thomas in 2001.

Reply #490335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon was pretty much Taipans starting PG last season too.

Reply #490337 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yep... That list paints the picture, but not the whole story either.
In a year where every single team appears to have taken a step forward, we've taken 4 steps back. It's not just the import signings, it's every facet.
No communication. Can't even announce who we have signed.
We've downgraded every single player we have lost.
Lose Ervin (which apparently was our decision?), sign Jamar Wilson. Wilson is an ok import. Ervin is a former MVP who proved to be a match winner multiple times last season. Wilson came off the bench for an also-ran team.
Lose DJ, don't even sign a replacement big. Leaving us with Luke Schenscher as our only true centre. Sign an import from the SEABL, where past history shows they almost invariably don't work. He sounds ok on paper, but compared to every other import, he doesn't stack up.
Lose Cadee. Young Boomer, bright future, still on the rise, still young, showed enough when not buried behind 2 or 3 other point guards. Sign the corpse of a very good basketballer in Crawford. He hasn't had a good or barely serviceable season for a few years.
Lose Carter, very good defender, can hit the open shot, completely shut out Goulding to give us a Grand Final spot. Sign Tom Daly. Been with us for years, maybe he's finally ready to actually play, but at this stage he's effectively an unproven development player.

Reply #490347 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Wilson is an ok import. Ervin is a former MVP"

Wilson is a former runner-up MVP, NCAA mid-major team of the decade, leading scorer in one of the world's best leagues etc and he outplayed Ervin in their match-ups last season.

"Sign an import from the SEABL, where past history shows they almost invariably don't work."

Perhaps read the below linked list, there's some good (Davis, Bolden, La Fleur, Redhage) and some bad just like all avenues of recruitment.

Remember how Townsville were bagged for picking Conklin out of the NZ NBL last season? He turned out alright.

http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?NBL%20SEABL%20imports%20crossover

Reply #490349 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

How many highly credentialed imports have come to the NBL without raising much of an eyebrow Jo Jo English, Flynn and many others. And didnt that hack Mike Kelly from SEABL prove to be a bum at NBL level.

David Barlow is being pumped up while PC is being called a corpse. Barlow's last efforts were 6.5 points per game at 34%, hardly amazing. Oh and PC made the 2012 Olympics and Barlow didnt.

Last year "Daly is better than Teys" so isnt it good that we have got someone better than Teys as well on the team.

Reply #490350 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, Redhage is really the only quality import from the last 20 years on that list.
But you're right. Guys like Mark Davis, Bruce Bolden, Andre laFleur and Dean Uthoff are totally relevant. Basketball hasn't changed at all since they played NBL.

Reply #490351 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Troy Devries also played SEABL and is now a well paid euro import.

It is what ever you chose it to be.

Reply #490352 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Both Barlow and PC made 2012 olympics.

Reply #490356 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Barlow was starting 5 for most of the lead up games to that Olympics...
And the last time Barlow played in the NBL was the failed Melbourne 'no one under 6 foot 6' team where he started at point guard and they had 3 centres.
Can't really judge him on that season.

Daly is better than Teys? People may have said that, but I strongly disagree. And has anyone said that after Teys broke out last season? Or just when he was playing 5 minutes every other game? And Daly being 'better than Teys' doesn't change the fact that he's still a downgrade on what we had, as is every change we've made.

Ervin was a difference maker, Wilson isn't. That's my stance, you might disagree.

Reply #490359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right in that Ervin was a difference maker last season with the 36ers, bottom to GF where as in his 3 seasons in Cairns Wilson never lead them to playoffs once.

For people throwing out Mark Davis etc you're forgetting there are also plenty of CJ Massingale's, Thalo Green's, Jason Sedlock's and Dave Gruber's. They're usually playing in a semi-pro league for a reason.

Reply #490364 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Definitely looks on paper the best crop of imports I have seen in a while but it doesn't guarentee success who could forget Joe Shipp from Perth.

Reply #490373 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think giving the Hawks a B- is a bit harsh. I think they have done very well, more like a B+

Reply #490374 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754