Anonymous
Years ago

why was exum used so sparingly?

Exum only played 10 minutes in this first world cup game. He is the most talented player in the team. How can a NBA #5 pick played only 10 minutes. while NBA bench warmers get 30 minutes per game? give Exum at least 25 minutes per game.

Does lemanis know what the hell he is doing? He is ruining australiaˊs chance of winning matches by not using Australiaˊ s best talent. Instead of picking jawai and gibson, Simmon and bolden should have been picked. Australia have lost the plot.

Topic #35272 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

he was picked at #5 for his potential not how good he currently is.

Reply #490628 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did you watch this game or any of the lead-up games anon? Exum clearly isn't ready for this level yet.

Hopefully tomorrow against a comparatively weak Korean team he can get some burn, although their speed may test his handles a little.

Realistically, Dante should play spurts at back-up SG for the remainder of the tournament with Delly and Gibbo taking care of PG.

Reply #490630 | Report this post

Cecil  
Years ago

Stupid anon. Exum has been given plenty of chances in the warm up games to show the coach he is worthy of more minutes. He hasn't taken them.

Reply #490633 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ridiculous OP.

Exum is not ready yet at 19 years of age. He was ineffective when he was on court vs Slovenia so Lemanis went with others.

He will be a very good player, but he has a fair way to go just yet. Watch the replay.

Reply #490634 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He is raw and needs time to develop. Imo 10mins was about right he might get better as tournament progresses. I don't think he will start for the Jazz either. Drafted purely on potential

Reply #490637 | Report this post

iknow  
Years ago

exum was no threat to score. you cannot have a player like him on the court when he is no threat to score!!

Reply #490638 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Same age as Tai Webster who played 22:00 mins for the Tall Blacks for 7points 5 rebounds 2 assists & a steal and only 3 turnovers and 2 fouls but one of the turnovers was crucial especially as he followed it with an unsportsmanlike foul on a clear path to the basket when the game was on the line.

Reply #490641 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Q: Why was Exum used so sparingly?

A: Australia has Delly, Ingles, Newley, Broekhoff and even Gibson (who played his role surprisingly well vs Slovenia) ahead of Exum in the rotation. Pretty simple really, even excluding the fact Exum wasn't even looking at the basket on offense.

Reply #490647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't shoot

Reply #490651 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Until Exum works on his shot I don't think he should be seeing too many minutes at SG. Delly is way ahead of Exum in the PG role at the moment so he is always going to take a back seat . Exum has a role to play in this team .... But it's not a 30 min per game role. Not yet anyway.

Does anyone else think we could of done with Damien Martin in this game?
Felt we really needed someone to lock down Dragic and that is Martins bread and butter.

Reply #490652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the man who fooled the world

OP send your exum jersey back you will look like an even bigger chump wearing it now

Reply #490655 | Report this post

If you watched the game anon then you should be able to answer your own question. I have no doubt that his time will come but its not quite now. Don't doubt his potential but you appear to be underestimating just how difficult it is to play at this level. He still looks a little hesitant (at this level.)

Reply #490656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights

Reply #490660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was lucky to get 10 minutes. Not that good simple

Reply #490662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How anyone can watch that game and think Exum is the most talented on the team or underplayed is beyond me. Where he was drafted is irrelevant. It's like reading comprehension for basketball fans.

Reply #490668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just lacking in confidence. He's young and it's showing. The guy can get to the rim at will but just chooses not too. He's most often the fastest guy on the court but chooses not to use that advantage. When he drives we normally get open looks. He just needs that confidence and aggression.

Tbh, the tall poppy syndrome thing this board has with Exum has become pretty laughable. It must of hurt to see the 'young/not ready/overrated' Exum on the court while their hero Chris Goulding warmed the bench.

Reply #490674 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

yep exum has plenty of talent but is still a kid. his best is far away and he is here to provide spurts of his ability. he doesnt have the conditioning , or strength yet. i expect they always had in mind that he will be used sparingly.

Reply #490690 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Exum isn't going to be good in this tournament. That's not surprising, he's damn young. He's there for experience

Reply #490692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum has shown in the warm up games that he CAN be effective so i don't agree that he'll be completely useless this tournament. I can't remember who it was against but he had around 12 points and a few assists when he actually chose to drive and be aggressive.

Reply #490697 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Why wasn't Goulding used at all?

Reply #490701 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Expect a better performance in Rio by then he will have 2yrs of NBA under his belt.

Reply #490703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 minutes for Dante. That is riduculous from Lemanis.
crappy players who are no where near as good get all
the minutes.

Reply #490730 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

10 minutes was enough given his contribution. I am more surprised by Goulding becoming a DNP-CD. Goulding can offer more right now for the Boomers than Exum can.

Reply #490731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that Goulding did in the warm up games was make a few three pointers every now and again. He didn't really do anything. I'd say Exum was a lot more valuable to the team than Goulding was/is.

Reply #490735 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

#730 are you suggesting that Broekhoff, Delly, Newley and even Gibson deserve less minutes to make way for Exum?
Exum will/should be a star down the track but not yet.
Give minutes on ability NOW not potential later.

Reply #490736 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whoever said it's like reading comprehension for basketball fans wins!

Reply #490758 | Report this post

iknow  
Years ago

did exum ever look like scoring!?????

his time will come, but it will be in a few yrs.

Reply #490765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's only just 18, can't believe people seriously think he's going to be a major player right now, get realistic will you, he's an in experienced kid at this level. His time will come but not now

Reply #490785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Educate yourself by watching the game, if you still think he deserved more minutes....

Then I really wish you were my coach as a junior! I played shit and didn't do anything on the regular but I did have a crazy ass double crossover, Tim Hardaway had nothing on it...

Trollin Trolls

Reply #490798 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

He wasn't aggressive enough when on the court. Had a few opportunities to take his man to the basket but either wasn't confident enough or capable of doing so. If he's not creating his own shot, or for others, we can't afford to have him playing extended minutes yet. Hopefully it clicks soon.

Reply #490802 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Another "know it all" who knows nothing!

Fact of the matter is Dante is NOT the most talented player on the team. To even say so only proves blinding ignorance. He has not played a moment of pro basketball, he has proven absolutely zero, he may or may not be a very good NBA player in the future.. but right now, he is just a kid with a contract that he is yet to justify.

Right now, I would take any of Australia's guards over Exum. He is no threat to score, the only thing he is a threat to do right now is hop around anxiously outside the arch and make the safest pass possible. The day he grows a pair and DRIVES to the basket (which is his greatest gift) then MAYBE just MAYBE he will deserve comparison to his team mates.. until then, he is a kid with a dream.

Reply #490804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes 19. There are loads of effective American NBA players who are 19. Unlike Exum, these guys played college ball against good talent and entered the NBA ready to compete with the best players in the world. Exum decided to be cheeky and hide out, leaving scouts with his "potential" and very little knowledge of his game. He is the man who fooled the world. If he had played college ball, he would have been a second round pick at best. Fair play to him for turning that into millions at #6, but he is going to feel the heat if he doesn't improve a lot in a short period of time. You guys are naive if you think an nba franchise is going to babysit him because of his age.

Reply #490940 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect Utah knew what they were getting.

Reply #490941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was fairly good at Athens as a 19 year old.
Just sayin.

Reply #490966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills, the 55th pick in 2009, was 10x better than Exum for the Boomers at age 19 in Beijing in 2008. While Delly and Mills are on the squad, I honestly don't see Exum ever cracking the starting rotation unless we go with 3 guards.

Reply #490976 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

I do laugh.
So many posts that the caoching staff defiled the bed by not picking Simmons as we need to blood the youth.
Exum starts out slowly and is understandably deffering to guys he has grown up watching, and the witch hunt is on in earnest.

With the limited ball he has played in recent months, its hardly suprising. He is showing glimpes, and thats enough to keep me excited. His open floor game is going to be phenomenal. I can already picture him teaming with patty in the backcourt, where his shooting limitations will be somewhat masked.
Both of those guys in the open court will be awesome to watch.

Seriously, posters here just need to take a breath and not base opinions on a game by game basis.

I'm really looking forward to how he goes under Snyder, as he has a reputation for player development, which works for what must be one of the youngest backcourt rotations in the nba with Burk, Burkes and Hood all 23 and under.

Reply #490981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 Exum
2 Patty
3 Simmons or Jingles
4 Simmons or Jingles (small ball line up)
5 Baynes

Exum at the 1 with patty running off screens and spotting up with the small ball line up sounds like good times to me going forward.

Delly running the 2nd unit with all his pick n roll tricks....

Reply #490987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#940 I challenge you to name the effective 19 year olds playing in the NBA..

I assume loads would be at least 10-20 of them?

Reply #490997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 Exum
2 Patty
3 Simmons or Jingles
4 Simmons or Jingles (small ball line up)
5 Baynes

Exum at the 1 with patty running off screens and spotting up with the small ball line up sounds like good times to me going forward.

Delly running the 2nd unit with all his pick n roll tricks....

Hahaha year pick myself up before replying. In what world is exum going to replace delay as a stater, and in what world will exum run point over either mills or delay, get real, he's a good few years off getting to that stage if he ever does

Reply #491005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 904
At 19 nobody in the US has been playing years of college ball. A few 1 and done exceptions but rare. How about we watch him play a few games before we start laying the boots in. If you have been watching him you would have to have noticed he is looking a little bit better every time he gets on the court.

Reply #491008 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

People are not saying "He'll never make it", they're saying that he's still young and not ready to run this team at this point. He had some great plays late in the Korea game, but nothing outside of that would be demanding more minutes from Lemanis at this stage.

I don't understand how "tall poppy" and all that comes into it right now?

Reply #491035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what world is exum going to replace delay (sic) as a stater?

In a world where Delly is out of the nba and Exum is a major contributer (2016-2018 and beyond).

Reply #491059 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Unless Exum shows he is ready in two years time which right now is a big IF then I see Dellavedova and Mills starting in Rio.

Reply #491064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum will never be star as a point guard to soft and you won't change that but could be a future shooting guard at international level but still a couple of years at least away from that.

Reply #491103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754