Jamar
Years ago

NBL and the 3 Import Rule

Did the NBL used to allow 3 imports per team?

Topic #35284 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Yes, changed to 2 about 20 years ago.

Reply #490888 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

There was a season in the last 15-10 years where the bottom two teams were allowed 3 imports the next season... I'm pretty sure that was a thing?

Reply #490906 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I don't think there was any equalisation rules around imports and am pretty sure it was 3 imports across the board. Then a decision was made that there was enough local talent and concerns over teams exceeding their budgets came into play, it was decided to reduce the import allowance to 2 per team. I think that all happened in the late 80s from memory, but happy to be corrected!

Reply #490921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty well everything you said Spinner is wrong.
Canberra had that rule under Cal and it didnt work. It wasn't across the board an I thought it was in the 90's, but happy to be corrected!

Reply #490927 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was early 2000s.

Reply #490935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know exactly but I'd estimate it changed in the late 90's - early 2000's.

I think the three import rule should return for expansion teams, to give them a chance to be competitive for their first season.

Reply #490954 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Melbourne United is practically an expansion team. Would you consider giving them an extra import to make them competitive?

Because basketball teams are relatively small and the existing league is small, I don't think it will be that difficult for an expansion team to be competitive.

Reply #490958 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

2002 was the last season for the 3 import rule.
The brief use of the rule allowed a team that finished bottom 2 to run 3 imports the next season.

The rule wasn't actually deleted for some time after and the 36ers investigated legal options to use it after 2002

Reply #490960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what would happen if there was no imports allowed for a season or 2 and the import money went to getting our better local talent back into the league..
Its not like the std of imports in recent years is better than the locals playing in Europe.

Reply #490961 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Anon, I think the NBL should allow only 1 import if the team has spent their marquee money on a returning Aussie. Happy to be corrected!

Reply #490995 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like that idea Curtley.

Reply #490999 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

The imports often add extra excitement for fans, given the NBL is trying to make it more attractive, exciting for casual fans i dont think they should reduce the number of imports or force teams to use marquee money only on Aussies.

If anything id increase it to all teams can have 3 imports, to add extra quality and depth to each team. Even if its cheaper imports, lets face it a cheaper import like Dorsey is way better and more entertaining than most 9th/10th men.

Reply #491001 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Its not like the std of imports in recent years is better than the locals playing in Europe.
An expensive import in recent years is going to be on far less than what an Australian is generally getting in Europe.

Three imports for expansion teams is something they will need to consider otherwise it is going to be a bloodbath for new teams, right when they need to be building a stable club and winning their share of games.

Reply #491049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754