Kel
Years ago

Line up distractions during free throws

I recently observed a junior VC game where the shooter at the foul line was taking her 2 shots. She paused for a moment to ask the referee if the fact that the nearest defender was waving her hands and attempting to distract her during her shot, was not a tech foul. The referee dismissed the question with an impatient "just take the shot!!!" Meanwhile the accused defender continued to attempt the distraction. The shooter missed that shot and the game went on with no adjudication by the ref.

I looked up the 2014 FIBA rules and it states categorically that "ANY ATTEMPT TO DISTRACT THE SHOOTER (during awarded foul shots) IS A VIOLATION". If the shooter misses that shot then they are awarded another.

This is the second time I have witnessed this activity this year from the same team. The first time involved clapping, waving and talking to the shooter. FIBA calls it a violation, I call it unsportsmanlike and would like to see it stamped out.

The difficulty with that is raising the awareness of the referee hierarchy without their "holier than thou" attitude. You think I'm over the top? I may be that if the referee in question went back to the rest room, looked up the rule and immediately came out to apologise to the player for his failure to administer the game as he is expected to do. No?! I rest my case.

C'mon refs, I know you cop heaps and mostly unjustified but at least know the rules,remove one area of criticism and eradicate this blight on the game before it takes a hold.

Topic #35292 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Send a short and polite email to whichever association is responsible, ask to clarify if need be and then leave it with them and get back to the game.

No need to talk "holier than thou" IMO - take the high road and you probably stand a better chance of getting a good response.

Reply #491063 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

bit late with the complaint Kel..

been in the game since inception..

how about growing a pair and worrying about bigger issues that the game is facing

this definitely aint one of em..

Reply #491067 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

This is a public forum were Kel and others can post their thoughts. So cat Kel is expressing her opinion which might differ to yours. Cheers.

Reply #491079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any attempt makes no sense at all. That rule you quoted makes no mention any specific person at all. Crowd or participants.

Reply #491080 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

You would think at Junior Level the players would at least be taught the correct protocol Kel so I agree.
I was at a final at Dandenong where the coach of the opposition made an obvious attempt at talking to his players loudly whilst the opposition was doing her two free throws. You would think that the coach would lead by example but obviously not. These are 11 year old girls, go and play super rules mate.

Reply #491088 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forestville coaches have shouted to their own players while opposition players take foul shots for years. It's a part of the game. Simply train your players with shouting and distractions while taking free throws then it wont be a problem in the future.

Reply #491131 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

"the referee in question went back to the rest room, looked up the rule and immediately came out to apologise to the player for his failure to administer the game as he is expected to do"

MRT..at least I'm based in a world of reality...the above is just fantasy land

"eradicate this blight on the game before it takes hold"

blight? really? I wonder just how many games Kel has attended before making such grandiose statements. For those people who've been associated with the game all their lives its rather laughable. Just get on with the game. People will always try and distract you.

What next, no defensive hands in your face when you're attempting a pass?

Reply #491133 | Report this post

SA blahblahball  
Years ago

It's one of the only times there's a break in game play to interact aside from a time out where you can.

People yelling from sideline or coach shouting directives is a lot different to players on the key waiving their arms and hopping around like they are standing the mark in football :)

Reply #491134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat I've been associated with the game my whole life and I don't think this is laughable. I agree, I don't like it when this happens, mostly because I think it's bad sportsmanship. It's not an earth-shattering issue but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed. Yes, teach players to ignore it, but that doesn't mean the refs shouldn't also try to stop it. I haven't coached for a few years, but if I ever saw one of my players doing this I'd tell them to stop.

Reply #491160 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

you've answered your own argument

it's purely bad sportsmanship and reflects poorly on the players character

it's the Coach who needs to address it otherwise it reflects poorly on the team

referrees are not there to correct individual and team character/sportsmanship

Reply #491182 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I haven't observed this type of behaviour since under 12 VJBL, where the opposition players were waiving their hands and fingers in the air during the foul shot attempt.

Must admit that it did surprise me at the time and I cetrtainly wouldn't allow any players I coached to do it, but I have seen officials stop or reward the shooter with a second attempt many times.

I wonder if some of those times it was for something unsportsmanlike said or an act only observed from close quarters, not so obvious to the crowd or coach?

Plenty of distractions from the crowd, no need for players to act like this, just silly really...

Reply #491196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not forget the referees are there to enforce the rules.

Reply #491201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I first started playing you could put your hands up, wiggle your fingers, and then put your hands down as the player was taking the shot. Can't remember when they changed the rule but they stopped this some time ago and if you do it now they give the shooter another shot.

Reply #491213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame the Wiggles

Reply #491215 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

that yellow one in particular alol

Reply #491224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754