Isaac
Years ago

Lauren Jackson to miss World Cup

This was Jackson speaking just a few weeks ago:

"I feel really confident [about playing in the World Cup],'' Jackson said.

"Basically I can get on the treadmill as much as I like, which means as soon as I get back on court it won't feel like I'm learning how to run again.

"I'm not running on court until early September but it's a huge step for me, I'm very excited.
But the latest news is that she has been ruled out.

@stevesmithffx:
BREAKING: @laurenej15 ruled out of the @FIBA World Cup. More to come.

Topic #35297 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's was wishful thinking on Joyce's behalf to think she would ever be ready,

Reply #491170 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Well, shit.

Reply #491172 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From BA:

Basketball Australia today confirmed Australian Jayco Opals star Lauren Jackson has been forced to withdraw from the 2014 FIBA World Championships campaign in order to undertake further rehabilitation for her knee injury.

While Jackson's treatment has progressed well so far, medical advice has indicated her knee is not yet fit for travel to the World Championships and will require a further 8-12 weeks of rehabilitation.

While she is undertaking ongoing rehabilitation for her knee, Jackson has also elected to address a persistent hip problem, undergoing surgery in Melbourne today.

Jackson is expected to make a full recovery, and it is anticipated she will suit up for the University of Canberra Capitals in the Women’s National Basketball League this coming November.

Reply #491179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Canberra Capital's contract is starting to look at little like the Grant Hill contract with the Magic.

Hope she is ok though, a lot of surgeries in a short space of time. I'm thinking long term, quality of life stuff here.

Reply #491186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to retire she's sounding like a rebuild of the bionic woman at the moment, imagine what her body will be going through by the time she's 40!!!!

Reply #491189 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Both Lauren and Andrew have been icons of the sport and while she may be headed towards retirement a little earlier than the big fella they have both been absolutely fantastic.

A shame we can't see our best players at this year's World Cup, but father time stops for no one...

Reply #491192 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would hope she still has enough left for Rio in 2016. Wish her well for her recovery.
Clearly the best female player we have ever had.

Reply #491207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Cayla Francis gets the nod. Burton also needs to be swapped .... Bishop or batgirl would be a good replacement even though they have said they wouldn't be there.

Reply #491252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope BA knows what Caylas commitments are right now.

Reply #491258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was she at Seattle this season, I didn't see her at all? WTF is going on with LJ maybe retire rather than fall from grace like this.

Reply #491498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754