paul
Years ago

Lithuania vs Australia: 2014 World Cup

Huge game today. I think it's too early in the tournament to play funny buggers, especially with both Mexico and Angola capable of upsets on their day.

This isn't the same Lithuanian team with Kalnietis and Kleiza, they don't have the same tempo so I think that suits the Aussies.

If we can put them on the back foot and not allow them to force the pace with their aggressive D we are definitely a chance.

People's thoughts?

Topic #35301 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the spoiler?

Reply #491261 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

We are certainly capable of winning if our offence clicks and we don't allow easy 3s. Unfortunately our defence has struggled against weaker perimeter systems and shooters than Lithuania possess so the odds are against us.

Reply #491263 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Literally anything could happen, we can win.. but we would be a bit of an underdog. A win would really make my day. And if we have to drop our last game in the pool play to get third and play all of our bench a lot.. so be it. But right now, the fight is still on for first.

Reply #491268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, their shooters are deadly, we need Baynes and Bairstow to lock down defensively so we don't have to get into rotations on post feeds.

Reply #491271 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We need to defend the PnR better, and generally play better team D.

Thinking we may even need to mix it up more frequently at the defensive end to disrupt Lithuania as much as possible.

Reply #491273 | Report this post

john7  
Years ago

I reckon Montiejunas could be a back breaker for us. Our bigs with enough size to play him in the paint don't leave the key and his ability to drift out to the 3pt line could hurt us

Reply #491278 | Report this post

Small Steps  
Years ago

Lithuania by 17. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm yet to see signs that this team can effectively defend and execute offensively against the higher end Euro teams at key times in games. Perhaps a bit harsh ? Anyhow, am hoping for an improved performance than seen against Dragic and Co, as part of a build towards a more poised performance in QF's.

Reply #491282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoiler

Reply #491289 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

LC, can you please change the order of teams around if you want the 2014 World Cup at the start, otherwise all WC threads look the same on the sideboard.

Reply #491291 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Done

Recap of Group D proceeding so far plus a preview of tonight's big game.

2014 FIBA World Cup: Group D is still anyone's ball game

Reply #491296 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You're a good man!

Reply #491300 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

**** yeah!

Reply #491307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles and Baynes in beast mode.

Reply #491309 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

They just have to go for it ....it's a thing of beauty at the moment.

30+ point 1st qtr!

Reply #491310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson continuing to prove how terrible a basketballer he is.

Reply #491311 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He is a role player ....Baynes need to keep it rolling

Reply #491312 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yep, Ingles and Baynes doing it for the Boomers. Aussies actually pulling off a decent press.

Reply #491313 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Just need Della & Dr Brock to start dropping the treys

Reply #491314 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

We are getting value for our fouls too.

Reply #491315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn we're playing like a medal team.

Reply #491316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes looking like the nba star, not valanciunas.

Reply #491317 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

C'mon Gibbo - tee off

Reply #491318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Anderson turnover ffs.

Reply #491319 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Yep ...time for Outback Hack

Reply #491320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outback hack is a much better choice than Anderson.
If Anderson could realise that he's terrible and stop shooting, that'd be great.

Reply #491321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jingles with the massive buzzer beater!

Reply #491322 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Call the fire dept .....We are officially on fire

Reply #491323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love John Casey but he just said shooting the 3 isn't Andersen's strong suit ...

Reply #491324 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Yeah Boys!

Great first half. Giving up some easy buckets, but I'll take it when we force turnovers at that rate. Settled for some pretty ordinary shots in the half-court as the half wore on. Like to see us keep getting the ball inside earlier in the shot-clock.

Reply #491325 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

OMG

Reply #491326 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WOW . What a first half. Wasn't expecting a 19 pt lead in our favour at the half .

Reply #491327 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

INGLES YOU ARE C-L-U-T-C-H!!!

I'm just loving Lemanis's vision of Australian basketball coming to fruition. Possibly the best game I've ever watched.

Reply #491328 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

At least we know now what we are capable of! Could have even punished them further there.

Reply #491329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes powning Jonas

Reply #491330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Love John Casey but he just said shooting the 3 isn't Andersen's strong suit ..."

Playing basketball isn't Anderson's strong suit.

"At least we know now what we are capable of! Could have even punished them further there."

With the talent we have, we should play like this more often.

Reply #491331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we beat Lithuania, Lithuania beat Slovenia and Slovenia, Lithuania and Australia beat every other team could we still finish first?

Wouldn't Slovenia/Lithuania/Australia all have the same amount of wins?

Reply #491332 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

So Lithuania is losing on purpose so they don't finish 2nd, there I said it.

Reply #491333 | Report this post

Balla  
Years ago

Take Andresen off PLLEEEASE !!

Reply #491334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So Lithuania is losing on purpose so they don't finish 2nd, there I said it."

No, they are owning us with their bench. Pathetic really.

Reply #491335 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Anderson didn't get the memo that he wasn't to take a shot this half!

Reply #491336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like we're two different teams. The team in the first half and the team in this half.

Reply #491337 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Only positive is we're still ahead. Horrible, horrible, horrible quarter.

Reply #491338 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Well settled

Reply #491339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Baynes get so upset over that one foul?

Reply #491340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, it was a pretty blatant charge. Probably just infuriated that they'd lost the massive lead.

Reply #491341 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Baynes definitley lost it. Someone just needs to tell him that it was a fair call and get him to forget it.

Reply #491342 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Baynes is being a big sook. Clear charge and he's costing the team with his tantrum. Also we're weak all over in the 4 spot

Reply #491343 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The pendulum has swung to the Lithuanians way... including the refereeing!

Reply #491344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very impressed with Newley so far in this tournament. David Andersen not so much :/

Reply #491345 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I'd rather be 6 up than 6 down.

Baynes needs to put the team first here

Reply #491347 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

Lithuanian chicks in crowd are serious 10/10s

Reply #491348 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

Down to the wire

Reply #491349 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Be smart and we win

Reply #491350 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Stupid by Baynes...selfish foul

Reply #491351 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

Most shocking block call I have ever seen

Reply #491352 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

Went straight through a stationary boomer

Reply #491353 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Great win

Reply #491354 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

One of our finest

Reply #491355 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Great job by the Boomers to hold on there. The momentum had really swung, affecting the refereeing too, but they held on with a solid finish to the game.

Reply #491356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Valanciunas only played 17 minutes and Montiejunas only 8. Seems a little suss.

Reply #491357 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

If Lithuania want to tank to finish 3rd so be it. Feels great to beat Lithuania in a game with meaning.

Reply #491358 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Fantastic Victory. Loved Jawai, Ingles, Newley and Baynes but saw too much of Anderson (Did hit a couple of clutch shots but stagnates the offence) and too many Delly floaters.

Reply #491359 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Anybody know the tiebreaker rules if it is a three way tie at the top of the group?

Reply #491360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good win. Our play in the first half is the best i've ever seen from The Boomers. Lithuania had no answer.

Ingles, Newley and Baynes were the standouts. Ingles and Baynes in the first half then Newley in the second half.

Jawai also was great in his limited minutes. He's a better option than Anderson for sure.

Other than some nice shots late in the fourth. Anderson was horrible. I don't see how this guy got to be a big time European player. He's slow, turns the ball over, misses all his shots, doesn't rebound, shit defender...the list goes on. It's good that this is his last tournament and he'll never put on the green and gold again.

Hopefully Lithuania don't do the dog act and tank against Slovenia. That would be a such a lousy thing for such a respected basketball nation to do.

If someone without any NBA knowledge watched this game i think they'd end up thinking that Baynes and Ingles were the NBA players, not Valanciunas and Motiejunas.

Reply #491361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lithuanian chicks in crowd are serious 10/10s"

Eastern European chicks in general are serious 10/10s.

Reply #491362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Eastern European chicks in general are serious 10/10s.'

Oh hells yes.

Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Russia, Estonia etc. is like the holy grail for 10s.

Best part is that they love Aussies aswell.

Reply #491364 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Great game from the Boomers! Good coaching from Lemanis also inserting Newley and Jawai at the right times. Also a solid strategy playing the full court press against their weakened backcourt. Our ability to force turnovers was phenomenal.

Reply #491365 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Three quick points:

- Motum was horrible. Seriously.
- Unless Ingles was gassed, I can't for the life of me understand why we were so reliant on Delly in the third. He just doesn't have the handle or quicks to really make plays when the D is up in his face. Joe needed to touch the ball more than twice in that five minute stretch coming out of half time.
- Our half court D is just horrible. We stink defending the PnR, our rotations are bad and only Jawai seems capable of being a defensive presence in the middle.

Reply #491367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Oh hells yes.

Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Russia, Estonia etc. is like the holy grail for 10s.

Best part is that they love Aussies aswell."

Most Croatian/Serbian girls are hot as hell aswell.

Reply #491368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum is way too trigger happy. In terms of taking shots and also committing stupid fouls. He also seems to start small fights with the opposition a fair bit.

Reply #491369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Most Croatian/Serbian girls are hot as hell aswell.'

I'm just gonna dream myself away to Eastern Europe for a bit.

BRB

Reply #491370 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If anyone is within arms reach of the moron anonymous who claimed Lithuania tanked todays game.. please give him a hearty slap across the back of the head.

Lithuania was undefeated leading to this, surely you realise they could have finished first? First is of more benefit then third you F0----- MORON!

Always has to be some clown trying to take away an achievement. Australia won that game fair and square, and don't doubt for a moment that Lithuania threw everything at it!

Reply #491371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Good win. Our play in the first half is the best i've ever seen from The Boomers. Lithuania had no answer."

Absolutely. That is pretty much my favourite Boomers game of all time.

The first half was Aussie-style basketball at its finest, and the effort to hang on through a fierce storm in front of a deafening opposition crowd was awesome.

It feels so nice, after years of losing to European powers playing their style, to beat one playing our way (which we also did to an extent v Russia in 08 but its been a rare feeling).

This might now mean we get second in the group, but I'll take that in return for enjoying this win!

Reply #491372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Lithuania would of been trying to take out the number 1 spot in the group. They were always favourites for that spot. Now with this loss for them it gets tricky. They'll most likely intentionally lose against Slovenia to avoid finishing third. Apparently if they beat Slovenia by a certain amount of points they can still finish first.

Reply #491373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant *avoid finishing second.

Reply #491374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barstow is a worry at the moment.

If we play the USA in the 1/4 or semi
Who would you play against each other?

Delly, exum, Gibson, Goulding on Irving, curry, rose
Broekhoff on Thompson
Newley on harden
Ingles on derozan/gay
Motum/Bairstow on faried
Anderson on plumlee/Drummond
Baynes on Davis
Jawai on cousins

.?

Reply #491375 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Don't go planning for USA just yet. I don't know why everyone is so quick to call out positions, number one is still up for grabs for anyone out of AUS, LITH and Slovenia so keep your pants on!

Does anyone know the tie breaker rules for this?

Reply #491376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great game. Looked very shaken to open the second half but steadied soon enough. Thought Delly was uncharacteristically shaken when he's normally so measured.

Reply #491377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Korea beating Slovenia at the moment for what it's worth. Not that it would really help us avoid second, but might open the door slightly if they could pull of a miracle.

Reply #491378 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't undertand this talk. we can definitely avoid second?

Reply #491379 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

If Australia beat Mexico and Angola, which they should, and Slovenia and Lithuania both finish at 4-1 with us, we will finish 2nd regardless of how much Lithuania wins by. Which is a shame, because I would have liked to watch their game with my fingers crossed that Lithuania win by x number of points.

Our differential against both of them is -3, Slovenia is currently +10 and Lithuania is currently -7. If we belted Lithuania a bit more or got closer to Slovenia, we could have been in the running for 1st. Our fadeout against Slovenia is coming back to haunt us.

Maybe we can hope that there is an upset somewhere along the line (Slovenia or Lithuania lose their next match). That way 1st is still in reach.

Reply #491381 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Arrrgh! Slept through my alarm and missed the game! What a time to do that?!!!

Wow - what a win! Go Boomers!

Reply #491382 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

Oops, I mean Slovenia losing their next match. Lithuania's next match doesn't mean anything to us.

Reply #491384 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the game now up on PnR thanks to Craig Rayner:

2014 FIBA World Cup: Boomers take down Lithuanian giants

Australia has secured a major victory in their 2014 FIBA World Cup campaign defeating the much fancied Lithuania 82-75 in Group D. The Boomers were able to put together easily their best performance on both ends of the floor for the entire match and managed to withstand various runs by the Lithuanians prevailing on the back of 18 points from Joe Ingles.

Reply #491386 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Cobra; So in a tie at the end of the group stage, point differential is only measured between the tied teams?
2 teams tied, you go to the head to head result, I understand but I thought overall plus/minus from all group games would be the decider.
'Coz if that's the case, yeah that sucks all the fun out of the Lithuania/Slovenia game.

Reply #491388 | Report this post

OzD  
Years ago

If Lithuania win by 9-12 the Lithuania 1st, Slovenia 2nd, Australia 3rd.
13 pt victory would send it into a % tiebreak between Aust and Slovenia for 2nd.
14+ pt win by Lithuania would put aust 2nd, Slovenia 3rd.

If Lithuania win by 4 points it would be a % tie with aust and lith to determine 2nd and 3rd.

If Lithuania win by 5,6,7,8 points then Slovenia finish 1st, Lithuania 2nd, Australia 3rd.

If Lithuania win by 1,2,3 points then Australia finishes 2nd and Lithuania 3rd.

If Lithuania lose to Slovenia, Australia likely to finish 2nd.

The only variable is Australia losing to mexico by 2 to 10 points, and the forcing Lithuania to have to beat Slovenia in the final game to take 1st place rather then 2nd, Australia 3rd, mexico 4th. The downside would be if Slovenia beat lithuania then Aust would drop to 4th.

Lithuania were definitely holding back their best players until the final quarter when they coach went for the win. They have a firm grip on controlling where they finish now.

Reply #491389 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

If all other games go as expected and Australia, Lithuania and Slovenia tie here are your scenarios:
Lithuania defeat Slovenia by more than 13 points.
1. Lithuania
2. Australia
3. Slovenia
Lithuania defeat Slovenia by between 9 and 13
1. Lithuania
2. Slovenia
3. Australia
Lithuania defeat Slovenia by between 4 and 8
1. Slovenia
2. Lithuania
3. Australia
Lithuania defeat Slovenia by less than 4 or lose
1. Slovenia
2. Australia
3. Lithuania

So by my reckoning we want Lithuania to win by between 4 and 13 points to get us to 3rd

Reply #491390 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

I'm watching the game on iView. Pretty impressive full court D in the 1st quarter.

Reply #491395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or we intentionally drop the game against Angola to finish third?

Reply #491397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do want to finish third? Is it to avoid the US?

Reply #491403 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Intentionally dropping games is a bad idea unless you already know what all of the other results are going to be.

Reply #491404 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

There were suggestions that we tank the Lithuania game but it is way too early in the tournament with a myriad of possibilities available yet. This includes Mexico defeating one of the top 3. If we get to the last game and we have to play our bench the full game and give Anderson the ball in the post every play then so be it.

Reply #491405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As a 36ers fan who thinks Gibbo often coasts, it was interesting to see him play with intensity when he was coming off the bench in patches rather than playing the majority of a game.

Reply #491406 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Lithuania were definitely holding back their best players until the final quarter when they coach went for the win. They have a firm grip on controlling where they finish now."

I think they had bigs off because they were trying to find an answer to Australia's pressure, which they did in the third quarter (not the fourth).

Reply #491408 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I hate all this talk of "intentionally dropping" a game. I don't care how "smart" it is. When you pull on the singlet and represent your country you should be playing to win.

They should print out a bracket and let the teams with the best results choose first for which position in that bracket they play. Top team (points and differential) takes the top slot. 2nd best team will presumably choose the top slot that means they won't play the top team until the final. If teams are all scared of one particular team then they should play hard every game so have they have the best chance of avoiding that team for longer. Gives every team incentive to play hard in every pool game.

Reply #491409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except in our scenario where not playing harder for longer could see see us advance further by avoiding the USA in the Quarter finals.
This is tournament play, positioning is everything. It's all about winning the RIGHT games, not total of games. European teams have been doing this for ages.

Reply #491410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best game ive seen from the Boomers ever,that defensive intensisty/strategy was perfectly designed by the coaching staff.note*Big Nate has a role in this world cup,his presence had notable impact.
Cam B may have to sit down a bit more in this tournament.loved Delly's control in the last 2 mins.
Ingles had patches where he was unstoppable and only needs to better understand 'those moments' himself.
anderson stepped up when it mattered and baynes needs to take his emotion out of the game, he had a chance to milk his domination but started rushing his moves and then became frustrated.broekoff is the real deal and x factor for the boomers,looks like he loves the international stage. i was really impressed with the boomers resolve under scoreboard pressure,great win !!

Reply #491411 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^that was me

Reply #491412 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Anon #491410: Which is why I followed up my objection to throwing games with an alternative tournament seeding method that would not reward throwing games.

Reply #491413 | Report this post

mat b  
Years ago

Jawai was setting picks, sucking in rebounds on O&D disrupting there offense with his paint presence, scored some put backs........then gets subbed out while he's on s roll.
When he's hooping like that keep him on, he had fresh legs and needs more game time for the next round and frankly was playing better than Anderson in that game.
Motum & Bairstow seemed to foul too much.
Very impressed again with broekhoff.
Great attack by Newlley.
Jingles was great.

Good win & great confidence boost.
Lets keep our offensive composure next time teams pick up there defensive intensity.

Reply #491415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree about jawai completely he had impact in such small minutes.

Anderson is terrible and I'm glad to see im not the only one that thinks so. Seriously why is he in the team? Due to past selection? The fact he plays in Europe? Surely there's a better 4 out there.

Reply #491416 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I bet that Lithuanian guy that ran into a Jawai pick late in the 3rd quarter is still hurting!!

Reply #491417 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Great win. Up there with the Russian upset for recent great Boomers wins that I've seen.

The positives were all pretty obvious: great disruptive defense and pressure on passing lanes, Baynes dominating early which freed up looks for our perimeter guys, and great execution on the fast break to capitalise off turnovers.

The halfcourt offense and defense is still a big concern for me though, so we either need to figure out how to keep that pace up all game or have a contingency.

Pressing like that works against teams whose starting Point Guard went down to injury days out from the Cup, but will it work against teams with better depth & talent at the position?

Our one-on-one ball containment remains woeful as well. James Harden-esque. I'm looking at you: Delly, Exum, Anderson, Ingles.

Good to see that the team defense has drastically improved though.

If I were an opposing coach I'd be going base level against the Boomers: isolation high every time and making our slow footed guards pay. Gibson, Exum and Delly cannot stay in front of anyone in the halfcourt in isolation.

And let's put the idea of Dave Anderson as a power forward to bed please. Dribble blow bys all night long by the younger, quicker, more athletic guys he has to guard.

Also: what is wrong with Delly? He looks like a shell out there.

Reply #491420 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"he had fresh legs"

Nate didn't have fresh legs, he was blowing hard. He did an awesome job though, 5r in 6mins.

So far this tournament we have forced 60 turnovers in three games (while only giving up 33 assists), outstanding effort from the pressure defence.

Delly and Gibson are doing a super job harassing the ball-handler and the likes of Newley, Ingles and Broekhoff are very dangerous in the passing lanes.

Reply #491423 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Disclaimer: yes I am a massive Delly fan. I'm not saying he's looking awesome, but its also understandable.

I imagine Delly hit the rookie wall a while ago. He's played 72 NBA games, 5 summer league games, the 9 warm up games, and now 3 world champs games since last November. Its his first year as a pro, and its worn him down.

He's also being given a massive workload for the Boomers. He gets the toughest defensive assignment on the perimeter. Even when we are leading big he gets subbed back in because the rest of our guards have been so shaky advancing the ball up the court and initiating the offense (its one of the other reasons we're missing Patty). let's face it, if its not Delly or Ingles starting the offense we look significantly worse. I'm not surprised his legs look gone when it comes to looking for his own offense.

Reply #491424 | Report this post

Bo  
Years ago

Great to see Ingles play with confidence. Not too sure if this link had been posted via ESPN http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=marc-stein&id=2964

Reply #491427 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

Yeah Harry Balls, we can only finish 1st if Slovenia lose to Angola and then Lithuania beat them. If we end up in a tie with Slovenia (2 way or 3 way tie), we can't get past them.

It is goal percentage against the teams you are tied with that will split the 3 teams, as it would be 1-1 for all 3 of us.

Lithuania aren't going to throw the Slovenia game, they can still get 1st. The higher the score is, the more they need to win by because it is goal percentage, not For and Against.

Best example would be the 2010 World Championships when China finished on 1-4 but qualified 4th due to the tiebreaker with Puerto Rico and Ivory Coast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIBA_World_Championship_Group_C

Reply #491428 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

sorry, we can get past Slovenia in a 3 way tie, but Lithuania will pass us as a result.

In other words, let's cheer on Angola!

Reply #491429 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/FIBA/ruleRegu/p/openNodeIDs/897/selNodeID/897/baskOffiRule.html

Cobra: Section D of FIBA's official rules 2014 disagrees with you. It's goal difference, not goal percentage.

"D.1.3
If 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of all games in the group, the game(s) between these 2 or more teams shall decide on the classification. If the 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of the games between them, further criteria will be applied in the following order:
* Higher goal difference in the games between them
* Higher number of goals scored in the games between them
* Higher goal difference of all games in the group
* Higher number of goals scored in all games in the group
If these criteria still cannot decide, a draw shall decide on the classification."

Reply #491431 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Beating the USA in the quarter finals will give us a very favourable standing for the semis! (We won't have to play Spain to the GF!)

Reply #491433 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Yes Naph, I don't like the way they use the term goal. They obviously want to differentiate it from points because that is the term they use for ranking in the table. I think it actually makes it more confusing. And I am still assuming goal means points in this document.

Reply #491434 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Call me cray cray but if the Boomers did happen to have to front up to the USA in the Quarters, I think it would be a lot closer than people expect. I would pick an 8-12 point margin in all honestly, maybe 15

Reply #491438 | Report this post

Ariel 98  
Years ago

Naph,

The way teams are classified has changed to goal difference from goal percentage from October 2014. The current method (goal percentage) is in use for the Men's World Cup and Women's World Champs. Even so, we can't get past Slovenia in a 3 way tie.

Reply #491444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB you crazy.

Reply #491445 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Of course the defensive strategy was a winner but from an offensive point of view it seems like we are on to some reasonable combinations so good coaching by Lemanis. There was a bit of a worry that we'd be able to find much offense in this tournament but with of course Ingles and now Newley coming off the bench and the emergence of Broekhoff it's been reassuring. I'd imagine in the next couple of games Motum and Bairstow will have some scoring moments. They were both gifted scorers in college so have ability. Really hope Nate keeps it going and improves condition by the game because he really was an impressive spark in those minutes. He is a smart player on court.

Reply #491448 | Report this post

Daltonfor3  
Years ago

Great win by Australia, the first half was the best half I have seen by them in a long time.

Just a couple of questions which I would like opinions on.

I love Delly but it seems he has trouble creating anything when he goes left. Is this a genuine issue or just a minor blip?

When Jawai came on he made a positive difference but seemed to reluctant to look for his own shot. A couple of times he seemed to have a mismatch but instead of trying a move he simply kicked it back out. Again is this a genuine issue or just something from lack of confidence/playing time?

Looking forward to seeing Motum, Bairstow etc put up some points in next game or two.

Reply #491453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was one of the best wins I can remember in more than 20 years of watching the Boomers religiously however really strange the very limited minutes given to their 2 NBA players.

Reply #491454 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

Ariel 98, yes you are correct.

Regardless of which tie breaker is used, we can't pass both of them unless Slovenia loses to Angola.

Reply #491455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would we want to finish third and face playing a tougher team in the round of 16 and possibly lose then? Pretty sure we'd rather finish 2nd and at least make it to the quarters!

Reply #491456 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

sick of hearing this, they clearly wanted to win! but lithuania had to adapt to our game style.. so they didnt use their bigs as much as it was hard enough getting the ball across the court!

Reply #491458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a mindset thing. Just using these arbitrary figures, which would you rather:

Come 2nd & have a 60% chance of winning thru to the QF & a 0% chance of making the semis

Or

Come 3rd & have a 50% chance of winning thru to the QFs & a 40% chance then of winning to make the semis (ie 1 in 5 times total you come 3rd you make the semis).

Just think it depends on the teams ultimate goal. If it's to win medals, perhaps option 2 is the better path.

Reply #491459 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Depending on other results, I would happily drop the Angola game if it meant coming 3rd. Just play our bench and practice for our most likely crossover opponent.

Reply #491461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"however really strange the very limited minutes given to their 2 NBA players."

It's almost as if.... there are good players outside of the NBA! :O

Reply #491462 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure that we would be too worried about who we will meet up with in the round of 16. We would start favourite against all of them, except perhaps Turkey (who are having a poor tournament).

Of course any of those teams could beat us on any given night. We dropped a game to Finland in the lead up, but we erased that with two other convincing wins.

That quarter final matchup will be key, but even if we tank to come third, we will probably end up facing Slovenia or Lithuania again, which we are no guarantee to win.

Reply #491464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ingles had patches where he was unstoppable and only needs to better understand 'those moments' himself.
Skull, I agree. Hopefully he can switch it on permanently for a couple of games and make some big statements.

Reply #491467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was 4th in pool meets 1st in Pool C?

So I was under the impression we didn't want to finish 4th. Does 2nd play US?

Reply #491469 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

D1 and D3 will stave off playing USA til the Semi Final

D2 and D4 cross over at 1/4 final stage.

Group finishing is the difference between finishing potentially top 4 or top 8

Reply #491470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't a Lithuania win of between 5 and 12 points lead to Aus finishing 3rd in the pool?

Reply #491471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be interesting to see what Lithuania do in the Slovenia game. Surely such a respected basketball nation won't intentionally tank?

And if you watched the game you could tell that Lithuania were trying to win. The whole 'they intentionally lost to get third' is laughable. They could of gotten first with a win against us.

Reply #491473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania win by anywhere from 5 to 13 against Slovenia and Boomers should finish 3rd in the pool.

Reply #491478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Respected basketball nations do tank, it's a fact.

Lithuania will be playing to win against Slovenia, because if they win by nine or more (I think) they get top spot.

However, if they aren't going to win by a big margin I would expect them to manage the game so they lose or win by three or less to make sure they don't get second.

If they win by between 9-12 (I think) we would drop to third, so that would be a nice result for us.

Reply #491479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again Australia is being naive just like the last Olympics with Goorjian when we got US straight out of the group stage.

Lithuania and Slovenia are setting it up so we finish in 2nd. We fall for this each and every time. FIBA also helped with the last group game being against these two. gg Europeans.

Reply #491483 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We didn't have an opportunity to manage our position in the last two Olympics because we lost our opening two games.

Reply #491488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AUS are chumps and I fear we will face USA again just watch

also Lithuania 'managed' to set themselves up last night with a loss, whereas we never have control

wheras AUS either lose too many early or win too many because we blow our loads and think "ZOMG we are winning!!1" ffs how about some planning

euros gg indeed

Reply #491490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. slovenia
2. chumps
3. lithuania
4. one of the n00b teams

I hate how world bball is pretty shallow after the top 10 or 15... south korea/mexico = LOL

Reply #491491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are Bogut and Mills? Pathetic they aren't on the team, especially Bogut as he has missed more than 50% of all Aus games since eligible. Never makes the playoffs in the NBA so no super long season like Mills.

Reply #491499 | Report this post

OzD  
Years ago

amusing boomers warmup - joe ingles with red towel, wipes sweat off arms, legs, hands, then stuffs towel up inside his singlet and wipes more sweat off.

Throws towel to Jawai who then wipes his face and head.

Reply #491506 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There is a certain,m very disrespectful anonymous who needs a smack in the mouth. Why would we tank the lith game and go 1 win 2 losses? moronic!

We can still finish 1st or 3rd really.. so get over your bullshit wanker

Reply #491509 | Report this post

OzD  
Years ago

Could have lost, then won last 2 games to finish 3-2 and 3rd place. Almost impossible to finish 1st.

Mexico will be tough to beat. Angola getting a little beat up now.

Reply #491512 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

My question is.. would we drop the Angola game to go third or are we too morally superior to lower ourselves to such euro tactics?

Reply #491516 | Report this post

OzD  
Years ago

if lith lose then we still finish 2nd even if we lost to angola

Reply #491520 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't see Lithuania losing to slovenia, or anyone else in the group. Slovenia and Lithuania would probably finish 4-1 and if we tank against Angola.. we would be 3rd place.

Reply #491521 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Play it win always.

Reply #491523 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

considering a huge part of this tournament is about our young team's progress as a national team i would take the winning at all costs approach and the confidence that gives them rather than roll the dice on trying to manipulate where we finish. hate to lose then finish where we dont want to anyway. i say let the aussies establish themselves as a fearsome unit that no-one wants to face , even if it means going up against usa , we challenge them for as long as we can until their talent wins through and in a few years when all our young kids are a few years older and guys like simmons come into the side they come into a side that is proud, and fights every game.

Reply #491527 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would prefer to medal now than go down in a rain of gunfire against the US.

Reply #491529 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

losing in the group stage doesnt get us closer to a medal. it just maybe avoids the usa. and then we go up against a france/brazil whoever it is. what have we gained? ill take wins where we can.

Reply #491540 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

lol also agree lith girls are hotties , was there recently and the men look , well like the lithuanian mens team lol , and the girls are all tall leggy hotties. my gf is litho , boy did i have a smug look on my face all game long haha.

Reply #491543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, the 'Lithuania intentionally lost to us to get 3rd' talk is bullcrap. Anyone who watched the game could see how hard they were trying to beat us.

Reply #491544 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Further to my earlier comment, some forums/media content I have read from the USA suggests the team better come to play against AUS or LTH.

Hence, I think the Boomers are well respected. The general feeling I see from USA is that they know they have a beatable team and if they go to sleep one game, it could be all over red rover(surprising given they are always super confident).

I am a Kiwi. You guys are undervaluing your team. I truly believe you are one of the few teams at this tournament with balance at each position (bar maybe a traditional SG somewhat). I do believe the Boomers would be very competitive against the USA.

Re: the (always present) Bogut issue. Get over it. Baynes is here and he is probably doing just as well if not better than what Bogut would be doing.

Reply #491566 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Lithuania are referred to as a "powerhouse of International basketball" and rightly so, they have established themselves amongst the best over the past 12 -15 years.

Irrespective of where the Boomers end up, the experience will be valuable for the younger players who walked off the court knowing they just beat one of the best teams in the world.

The next generation of Boomers need to experience success like last night, and continue to back it up if they are to develop their own "powerhouse" reputation in the future. Skill gets you so far, self belief makes all the difference.

Reply #491580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754