Isaac
Years ago

Hawks finalise roster with Dom Cooks

The Wollongong Hawks have finalised their roster for the 2014/15 NBL season with the signing of guard Dominique Cooks.

Cooks made his NBL debut with the Hawks last season, playing in three games before his rookie campaign was cut-short due to a knee injury.

He made a triumphant return to the court in the off-season with the Illawarra Hawks in the NSW Warratah Championship League.

In 18 games the trusty playmaker led the team in points, assists, steals and three-pointers made, while also averaging four rebounds per game.
Hawks have also retained Luke Jamieson as a development player.

Full announcement

Topic #35307 | Report this topic

pwned  
Years ago

Such a waste of a spot really. I heard that Geordie was looking for a legit back up promising point guard, but has fallen back on the local factor.

Reply #491418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart decision taking the local kid for not much money.

Given they have 2 import PG's, I doubt they will rest both at the same time, so most of the back up minutes will be at the two guard where Demos and Coenraad will play. Cooks will be primary towel waver.

Reply #491421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know people do it every year with Gordie's teams but I dont think they'll be any good this year! I will end up regretting saying that, but I just dont think they have enough talent.

You know they will have multiple on ball screens and spread the floor out with shooters, then hide their imports in that match up zone... but I cant seeing it working with this group.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Reply #491439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So their roster is

Carson
Ervin
Coenraad
Forman
Davidson

Cooks
Gruber
Demos
Ballinger
Hill

Reply #491440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I think they should be good. Ballinger is a step up from SHT; he'll hit a couple of threes now and then and be valuable. And maybe Hill's finally found the right coach and style of play.

Apparently Carson is really quick and can rebound because of his vertical and despite his size.

Reply #491468 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Carson can take a few hits, gets back up without a second thought. He's a real bulldog!

By the looks of the way they train it will look more like:
PG: Ervin
SG: Demos
SF: Timmy
PF: Forman
C: Davidson*

*Depending on health will get swapped for Gruber in the starting line up.

Carson looks like could be 6th man backing up Demos and Ervin but getting starter minutes just like Gordie did with Deleon and Tiggs.

Reply #491474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Timmy!

Reply #491481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd expect Carson and Ervin to play 15-20 mins per game together. Doesn't matter who starts, but I think at times they will throw the 2 PG line up in. Not many NBL teams run guards in the post (or guards who actually have a post game) so they wouldn't be too worried (unless it is Melb United or Townsville who have the tall SG's).

Depth Chart I would imagine

PG - Carson (30) / Ervin (10)
SG - Ervin (20) / Demos (15) / Coenraad (5) / Cooks (0)
SF - Coenraad (20) / Hill (20)
PF - Forman (25) / Gruber (15)
C - Davison (25) / Ballinger (15)

Just a thought - they might train with the 2 import PG's on different teams because they don't want Demos running the point at training.

Strangely I think this team is an upgrade on last year, but I think they will miss the finals due to other teams improving more.

Reply #491514 | Report this post

Rot Sauce  
Years ago

Not a chance that Carson comes off the bench Nat, not a chance.

Reply #491879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754