fstos
Years ago

Angola vs Australia: 2014 World Cup

Reposting a few posts from the Mexico game.

More appropriate here.

Topic #35319 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

I don't advocate us dropping the Angola game nor do I think the team will contemplate doing this BUT our best chance of finishing 3rd will be if we lose the game. We cannot now top the group and cannot fall bellow third.

If we lose Lithuania will then have maximum incentive to win against Slovenia because ANY win will guarantee them topping the group.

A win for the Boomers against Angola needs a Lithuania win by 5-13 for us to get third.

With a Lithuania loss the result against Angola does not matter. We will be second.

Reply #491679 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Paul then replied.

"So a starting five of Jawai, Bairstow, Motum, Goulding and Exum then?"

Reply #491680 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Hey. Why not. The result of the next game is sort of irrelevant as I said. Give the guys who play less minutes plenty of burn as well as a chance to see what they can do. Rest the guys who have been playing big minutes and give the Boomers a better chance of reaching the medal round. Can't think of a downside really.

Reply #491681 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Paul again replied.

"FWIW I don't advocate throwing a game, but with us already qualified for the Round of 16 I wouldn't have a problem with the coaches resting key players so they are fit and firing when it matters on Saturday or Sunday.

It's also a great chance to get some more run into the legs of the guys I mentioned above.

Now if that happens to mean we lose the game to Angola, who will be playing for their lives (and were great today against Slovenia) then so be it, it might just turn out for the best."

Reply #491682 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

The more I think about it the more I'm all for the idea. There is no sound reasoning at all to put more millage into the studs or risk injury to one of them in this no consequence game.

Go Angola?

Reply #491685 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Absolutely.

It would be bad coaching to play our key guys anything more than minor minutes. This game means nothing and should be treated as such. Hopefully Angola are good enough to make the most of that.

Reply #491688 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Give Goulding a similar green light to that which he had in Melbourne and instruct Dante to be aggressive.

That alone would make the game interesting to me.

Reply #491693 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was really pleased to see Bairstow getting o-boards and starting to get some confidence against Mexico. He will be important to us if we are to go deep and this game would help him get a bit more touch which is missing at the moment.

Reply #491697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been waiting to see Jawai get some time in the point guard position and to see Goulding play post defense, and for Baynes to work on extending his range beyond the 3pt line.

This game could be the ideal time.

Reply #491702 | Report this post

We should always be playing to win ..... medals. Time for us to be savvy here.

Reply #491705 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Isn't it great to be playing the last game of pool play in a World Cup with essentially no pressure as we don't have to win the game to survive? Lemanis needs to be creative and get some guys on the floor. Why not play Exum and Goulding big minutes using a fast running style of play? It is not as if our current offensive style is really any good or is going to improve. We have just had good enough players to score despite the abscence of any system. The guys have occasionally run some good 2 man plays.

Reply #491706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe people are talking tanking.

Reply #491708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not tanking, it's prioritising a knockout game over a dead rubber. The players who are on the court should play to win, we need those guys getting a good hit-out.

Reply #491709 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

It's not like we have smashed everyone. That starting unit still needs all the time together they can get. Use this game as a scrimmage for the main guys to keep that rhythm that disappeared at times in the Mexico game.

Reply #491710 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I agree would like to see Goulding get major mins and give him the green light to see what he can do. hopefully see Jawai get plenty of mins and Bairstow as well. Delly looked spent in the last game so i think his mins should go to Gibson who has been solid so far.

Would like to see these guys get major mins.
Jawai
Baistow
Motum
Goulding
Gibson

With Dante and Newley to sub

Reply #491711 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There's two ways to look at it:

1. As pwned said: these starters need all the minutes together they can get. They look pretty average when it comes to playing off each other and being comfortable with each guys' games and where they like to get the ball. Lots of these players aren't stars in their club duties so they need as much big minute experience as they can get as well.

or:

2. These guys have been playing back-to-back after back-to-back in this compressed group stage.

Delly looks buggered out there. Lord knows Jawai needs the exercise. Dante needs to get more comfortable. Bubbles needs minutes because he's just itching to hurl up some shots for the love of God. Guys like Bairstow and Motum need to find their groove.

Not only does it give our key guys the rest they need, but it might just be a confidence / rhythm boost for the fringe guys who might then parlay that into production in important games later on in the tournament.

Just like what Popovich does with the Spurs: he rests his key guys plenty, but that means more minutes and experience against top teams for his role players, who then show up come playoff time in key minutes.

Reply #491712 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re our offence, I think it's been pretty good except for patches where we walk it up too much. Statistically we rank:

6th in scoring (80.3)
9th in FG % (49)
1st in 3pFG % (50 - and last in attempts)
9th in FTA (20)
6th in assists (16.5)
3rd in o-boards (13.6 with NZ comfortably first)

Obviously with the different groups it's hard to get a great comparison, but I'm pretty happy with what I see on court and on the stats sheet.

The key is flowing into offence, an early on-ball leading to a post feed with only six off the shot clock puts a lot of pressure on the defence.

Reply #491714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament is medal or bust, a collision course with the US in the quarters is to be avoided at all costs. I don't even want to write it, but take care of it, Andrej...

Reply #491716 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Personally I have always looked down at clubs who drop games and teams that play to lose, no matter the outcome or circumstances.

I see the point, but don't agree, IMHO we should go out to win every game we play, that's every game no matter the opposition...

Credibility and respect on a world stage is not only achieved by a medal around ones neck, once again not saying there isn't a point to losing such a game as this one but this is my personal view!

Reply #491717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to stop worrying about crossover opponents such as the USA when Spain, Brazil, Greece, Argentina will all be just as tough to beat.

Win what you can and play whoever you come up against, If we could finish in the top 8 with this young group then I would think that would be an over achievement to be honest.

Reply #491718 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I agree Bear, the Boomers should be playing to win, I would just like to see the players who have not been getting mins getting an opportunity to impress and give Delly Baynes, ingles Broekhoff and Andersen a chance to rest.

Reply #491719 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Australian's always feel their tactics must be beyond reproach yet almost every Euro team would drop a game in the interest of group standings.

I wouldn't see it so much as 'dropping a game' as, giving our fringe guys a free scrimmage and Goulding license to chuck it up.. and giving David Anderson the ball A LOT.

Then again, I think we are stuck on second unless Lithuania wins anyway. If they win, 3 way tie.. points decision we will come third, if they lose and we lose.. the tie will just be Aus and Lith, we will come second on head to head. Winning this game or losing will not get us third, its up to what Lithuania do I believe.

Reply #491720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't it now out of our hands? Lithuania can decide our fate with their Slovenia game. If they choose to throw it (not hard against a better opponent), we move to second and then face the US in two game's time.

I think we'll face Turkey or the DR, then the USA if we can win that.

Or am I missing something?

Might as well rest players against Angola, but the result itself shouldn't matter.

Reply #491722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We need to stop worrying about crossover opponents such as the USA when Spain, Brazil, Greece, Argentina will all be just as tough to beat."

We wouldn't crossover against any of those teams until a medal game.

It's not really about not trying to win, it's about making sure any players who need rest don't play in a dead rubber so they're banged up for the real stuf, and that guys who need a run get court time.

Reply #491724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what i've read the outcome of this game is irrelevant to standings. It all resides on the Lithuania/Slovenia game.

I would like to see guys like Exum and Goulding get more of a burn though. Especially Exum. He's just a highlight play waiting to happen when he's aggressive.

Reply #491727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul you got it right with your last comment

"It's not really about not trying to win, it's about making sure any players who need rest don't play in a dead rubber so they're banged up for the real stuf, and that guys who need a run get court time."

Reply #491728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not tanking its tournament play. I makes good coaching sense to get the bench in game touch. The Euro sides all do it.

Reply #491731 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The result of this isn't completely irrelevant. If we lose then the Slovenia v Lithuania game becomes a straight contest for top spot, giving the Lithos more incentive to try and win.

If we win the Lithos have to win by nine or more to jump from third to first - and not land on what's considered the booby prize of second - whereas by losing they get third and avoid it no stress.

Reply #491732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So a starting five of Jawai, Bairstow, Motum, Goulding and Exum then?"

This starting 5 doesn't have Andersen so it's automatically better than our current one.

If you want to tank he has to play the whole game. Take 30 shots. And keep doing that stupid post move in which he turns the ball over 8/10 times.

Reply #491737 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If they were always playing for third once first was off the table then they would have dropped the Lithuania game.

Dont expect them to lose to Angola tonight.

Reply #491739 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They couldn't really drop the Lithuania game because then a loss to either Mexico or Angola could have seen us in 4th place in the pool. Big risk.

Reply #491746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So the Angola result does matter - losing will improve our chances at the expense of Slovenia's.

Regardless of that, it's in Australia's interest to rest key players. I'd ignore the result and run the bench a lot more. Potentially rest Delly completely.

Reply #491747 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

In almost every sport (except maybe curling unless of course the broom guy has a blister) key players would be rested in a *dead rubber.

*Dead meaning that your position cannot be changed by the result.

Forget the fact that a loss could actually improve our chances of progressing deeper into the pointy end of this championship and just focus on the dead rubber issue. What if Delly,Ingles or Baines were injured in this game. FFS Lemanis would be strung up for playing them in a game that meant zero.

Now factor in that a loss would actually improve our chances of a medal and the question of what to do in the next game should not even need to be asked.

No tanking** required just correct roster management.

** Well none required unless we are still winning deep into the last quarter because Bubbles and Dante are having their way with Angola.

Reply #491764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson
Exum
Goulding
Bairstow
Jawai

Reply #491766 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Would love to see Goulding given a green light and drop 25. Baynes and Delly should have significant rest periods. Not tanking though.

Reply #491769 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

We need to get #PlayGoulding trending on FB and Twitter

Reply #491771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia lost by 10 to Slovenia and Angola lost by 6.

Australia losing by 4 points or so to Angola wouldn't be bringing the game into disrepute, it would be in line with previous results.

Reply #491773 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Does anyone actually know the reasoning behind a team finishing 2nd playing a team finishing 1st in a crossover instead of 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 LIKE EVERY OTHER SPORTING COMPETITION EVER?

Reply #491779 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Curtley,

we are talking about the quarters I believe.

1 vs 4 and 2 vs. 3 is for the Round of 16.

If the Boomers win that then they go ahead and match up with the USA in the Quarters.

Reply #491784 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

OK my mistake. Im not as smart as I look.

Reply #491788 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Definitely time to get key players some rest. I think Delly, Ingles and Baynes should sit this one out. I'd like to see Exum start and play big mins. With a few more reps and no pressure he might gain some rhythm and confidence. Bubbles should also start and get the green light.

Unless Lemanis thinks Andersen needs a rest, I would give him a chance to get his shot going. Despite some struggles at times, his shooting is a weapon that we need.

Probably split the mins at SF between Broekhoff , Newley and a little Goulding. Give Nate as many mins as he can handle and start Motum at PF as IMO he is the most likely successor to Andersen as our stretch 4.

I think it's important that our players play to win when they are on the floor, but this is one where I am hoping for a glorious loss, with guys like Dante, Bubbles and Motum playing well but just falling short at the end.

Reply #491798 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Play to win and the USA better hope they meet us later, not the other way around.

Remember that one time when Peurto Rico scalped a dream team. It is always possible.

Imagine trying to avoid the USA who get knocked out in the 16?

I would rather play the USA and lose, then miss the opportunity of playing the US altogether because (A) Someone else bumps them off, (B) The team we play bumps us off prior to our meeting.

Reply #491807 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

When it comes down to it I would prefer to beat Angola and face the USA, than to drop to second gear in order to maybe, maybe, give ourselves a chance of avoiding second spot in our group. When all is said and done it seems a little corrupt, unethical to not try to get a result, it has the distant whiff of game fixing....I don't care if all the cool kids are doing it. I want to beat Angola, I would like to win every game we enter with the best team we can put on the court, and if that costs us a medal, then so be it.

Reply #491839 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

So to the two guys above. You don't think it is sound roster management to rest tired players in a dead rubber or to give a few players who have worked their butts off to get to this level a chance to see some court time and show what they have got. That is not throwing a game or deliberately losing it is just trying to use the situation to give you the best possible chance in the next game.

Reply #491841 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I, for that matter none of us, will ever be privvy to what goes on with the team behind closed doors. But I would expect the coaching group to come up with the best game plan designed for us to win against Angola. If that meant reducing starters minutes because the last month has worn them, and their effectiveness, down, then yes by all means let some of the bench get on (we're a deep team). But if it ever came out that the coach directed the team to purposefully attempt to not win the game, then I would be disappointed. My problem is that by going to the bench primarily (if that is what happens) it sends a message to the players that the result isn't important....I just hope the team plays with pride and attempts to win the game to the best of their ability.

Reply #491843 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Hello. Earth to Adam.

THE RESUT ISN'T IMPORTANT.

Reply #491845 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

But the result of the next two after that are very,very important.

Reply #491846 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

In fact the result against Angola is so unimportant that it does not even warrant spelling result correctly.

Reply #491847 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Angola has everything to play for. Australia has nothing to gain. An Angolan win would barely rate as an upset given the circumstances.

Reply #491849 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Give our lesser lights a chance to shine, but try to win. I cant stress this enough but, even if we lose by 50, its up to lithuania if we come third.

Reply #491850 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

90 minutes until game time.

So do the Boomers 'rest' key players: me thinks so.

Reply #491878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would never lay down nor ever be proud as an Aussie to say I played on a team that lost to Angola. Stuff the bench. Most when it comes to the crunch wont see court time when its all said and done.In fact most don't even deserve court time.
Go read the ratings topic. Anderson D. Improve? Crap.
Bairstow? Go away. Goulding? Maybe play D.
The list goes on. If the top few cant handle the heat and need to be rested then that's a sorry situation. It means that the selection on the bench is poor.

Reply #491881 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I'll not be happy if I see the normal suspects walking onto the court at the start of the game.

I am really hoping to have the opportunity to see what Bubbles and Exum can do when given the green light to play expansive games with a scorers mentality .

That way if we win we have given two guys some confidence for the future and if it doesn't come off we have also learned something along with potentially getting an easier draw.

Reply #491884 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they'll start most of the usual suspects, but then the rotations will change as the game wears on.

Reply #491885 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Relax anon 881. I don't think you need to worry. I doubt you will ever play on an Aussie team that loses to Angola.

Reply #491886 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Imagine this hypothetical scenario:
The Boomers lose to Angola and Lithuania beat Slovenia. We finish 3rd in pool D, win a couple of games against whoever it turns out to be, through to the semi final. Then get spanked by the USA and end up playing off for 3rd/4th.

This would equal (or better) our best ever finish...and IF that happened, I don't think anyone here would talk about it as undeserved or tainted because we didn't try our best against Angola in a group match.

People might be conflicted in the short term but I think but if the payoff happens they'll find a way to look past it.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Reply #491890 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anyone got a live stream? Trying to watch from NZ.

Reply #491892 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Try this. It's not great but I have watched a few games on here and it's better than nothing.
http://www.sportcategory.com/c-6.html

Reply #491901 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Watching double dribble theres a video everyone could appreciate of Aron Baynes telling David Anderson to get out of his way on offence. Lol. worth checking on Iview solely for that

Reply #491903 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Interesting starting group. Closer to a 44 gallon drum than a full size tank.

Reply #491909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen's first touch of the ball and he fumbles it. Dude is the biggest gumby.

Reply #491910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://nbaliveonline.tv/fiba-angola-live-stream/

Reply #491913 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Bench is dominating. Good to see Exum strutting his stuff

Reply #491914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bubbles is a beast

Reply #491915 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Worried that Angola won't even be good enough to even beat a team that's trying to throw a game.

Assuming Aus is throwing the game? They're playing too well at the moment.

Reply #491918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding should be starting. Can flat out shoot.

Reply #491919 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anywhere with live stats? At uni so can't grab a stream or can someone update here?

Reply #491920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do the commentators keep saying that it makes no difference if the Boomers win or lose? I thought we established that we're better off losing?

Reply #491922 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If we are going for the win, I'd like to see Goulding go for 40 and push his way into the top 10 in ppg for the tournament. ;-)

Reply #491923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania are obviously going to tank the game

Reply #491924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding can indeed shoot, Yet no one cares about his lack of any defensive ability.

Reply #491925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Damn, looks like we're going to win and give Lithuania no incentive to try and beat Slovenia. Really enjoying the play of Exum and Goulding in this one. Coach has given them a decent run and they are rising to the occasion. Only really Bairstow and Andersen struggling on the team. Everyone else looking great!

Reply #491928 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Starting to tank now.

Reply #491931 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The D in the 3rd has been more tank-like. At least I hope the D sucks because we aren't trying.

Reply #491932 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

And as usual the Boomers have a flat spot......Angola dominating and back in the game. Transition defense is horrible!!!!!!

;-)

Reply #491933 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

I like this line-up.

Reply #491935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Goulding an NBA contract

Reply #491936 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

15pt lead. WTF?

Do they know something we don't?

Angola are just that bad they can't even beat a team that's not even trying..

Reply #491937 | Report this post

timmy  
Years ago

Are we tanking?

Reply #491939 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Though it's like a watching an Allstar game.

Reply #491940 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Listening to this pom commentator on livebasketball.tv

Guy has no idea.

Like he actually thinks Angola are staging some amazing comeback. LOL this is kind of hilarious.

Reply #491941 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is the tanking strategy to leave Jawai on all game? It might just work.

Reply #491942 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

I'm loving the reactions from the Angolans... they haven't figured out that we're giving them basically whatever shot they want while we bomb away from three.

Moreira = the next NBA superstar (lol)

Reply #491943 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Defence in the key way completely nonexistent in the third, our bigs just standing watching. Surely that is intentional to get Angola back in the game, if not rather embarrassing.

Reply #491944 | Report this post

timmy  
Years ago

Bubbles needs to learn how to miss a shot

Reply #491945 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

Lemanis deserves an oscar for his performance tonight.

This is entertaining for all the wrong reasons. Loving it!

Reply #491946 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Current instructions from lemanis. Just shoot the three at every chance and whatever you do don't box out, foul or contest a shot on d.

Reply #491947 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I've never been so ashamed and angry at an Australian team. They seriously just aren't trying on defence. This is tantamount to game fixing. This is appalling, someone has to play the US for god's sake. If we end up throwing this game, which is what it looks like, I seriously hope we get knocked out in the round of sixteen....it's pathetic.

Reply #491948 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Moreira is putting the fear into team USA after this "dominating performance".

Reply #491949 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is it really necessary for Jawai to attempt to run back on defense? Then again, that might lead to some undesirable cherry-picking opportunities.

Reply #491950 | Report this post

timmy  
Years ago

Anyone place that bet on Angola?

Reply #491951 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Nate is embarrassing himself..smh

Reply #491952 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Casey and Heal playing their roles beautiful too.

Reply #491953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be hilarious if we lose this one after tanking, and get the US anyway

Reply #491954 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LOL. Love watching/hearing Lemanis in the timeout.

Great acting.

"We need to get back in transition..have a bit more energy"

Reply #491955 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Honestly, I think if the "tiebreaker" system was a more simple points for/against, calculated from ALL group games (not just between the teams that were tied) there would be an incentive to win every game by as much as possible and this kind of farce mightn't happen.

Or is there something I've overlooked?

Reply #491956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope we get smashed in the round of 16. This is pathetic.

Reply #491957 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

Angola Coach - translation "we can win this, if we play hard"....lol

Reply #491958 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Goulding and Dante have played themselves into starting spots surely.

Reply #491959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dat tank

Reply #491960 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

timmy, I put $100 on Angola.

Looking at $550 return here in NZ

Reply #491961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the Australian way... Coaches should be sacked. I'd rather go down to usa in 1/4 s than tank and make semi's. Disgrace!

Reply #491962 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

So...who put their bets on Angola earlier?
How much you gonna make with your fearless upset prediction?

Reply #491963 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This is looking like pretty blatant tanking to me. i would have rathered them not play any of the vets at the start of the game and just played honest with the young guys. Now they had too big a lead and had to result to this nonsense, which is pretty unsportsmanlike, even if it is somewhat a product of the tournament rules...

They're taking a dive and part of me doesn't agree with it at all.

Reply #491964 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If you are against this tanking, don't you realise the aim is to get the highest position in the tournament, not just win all games (including dead rubber games)? This is a TOURNAMENT. That is why we are resting our starters so much before the knockout round.

Reply #491965 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Lemanis with another Hollywood time out.

Hey Adam get with the program.

Reply #491966 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

This is the most embarrassed I've ever been with a Boomers team. This is now match fixing....this has to be illegal. What if someone on the team put some cash on themselves losing....this is the pits. I hope they get disciplined by FIBA, better still I hope we lose in the round of 16........this is not the Australian way...

Reply #491967 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

The Australian way hasn't got us a medal, this give us a better chance. In 10 years time what would people remember, a medal or losing again in the quarters to the US.

Reply #491968 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

shut up guys - if we medal we won't even care about tanking

Reply #491969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has the perfect excuse for this tank too with 5 games in 6 days.

Reply #491970 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

If this is the program then I don't want any part of it......

Reply #491971 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Boomers are really winning at this loss.

Reply #491972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be consequences!

Reply #491973 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is why teams in higher positions in each pool should be allowed to elect which position to go in.

Reply #491974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench or not... This shows how much australian over-rates their own players. How did Bairstow get drafted the guy can't even rebound!

Reply #491975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have matured as a basketball nation tonight. Medal or bust.

Reply #491976 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Settle down Adam LOL

Reply #491977 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

Adam seriously shut the hell up - don't know anything about basketball - guess what? you do have nothing to do with the program...

Reply #491978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A win against Lithuania is more impressive than a loss against Angola here is unimpressive.

So it's a net win. Except the ethics of the whole tanking thing.

Reply #491979 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

I can't believe we're tanking. This is absolutely disgusting

Reply #491981 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I cant believe a country would tank..shame on you Australia. Does anyone else believe in integrity...I am just in shock..cant wait to see what excuses he comes up with at the end of the game..

Reply #491982 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Piss poor....#unaustralian

Reply #491983 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If I was you Adam I would find another team to support. I am doing exactly that. I have my Lithuanian tie dye tee on already.

Reply #491984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't tanking Angola played better against our over-rated young players.

Reply #491985 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

I'm embarrassed. That 2nd unit was horrible. Could barely hold the ball. Bairstow can't rebound to save himself. What a joke

Reply #491986 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I will be honest, Australia now has a great opportunity to get into the top 4.

Next two match ups looking at Turker/DR and Slovenia. Turkey/DR - AUS would be favourites and Slovenia a very winnable game.

I have no issue with the tanking. Surely Angola would have known Australia were going to tank or switched onto it pretty early?

Reply #491988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would prefer to have a shot at a 'possible' medal than to be labelled a bunch of cheats?.

Reply #491989 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

DFAT just put out a travel advisory for Australians in Slovenia

Reply #491990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#allaboardthetank

Reply #491991 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

hows that any different than ARL or AFL teams tanking - pull your heads in because I think you will see Lithuanian's tank tonight too - remember we earn't the right to tank by winning 3 games in a row - something we haven't done for 30+ years - wake up to yourselves - f**kin idiots

Reply #491992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we are all okay with you not being part of it Adam...

Only thing that matters is finishing position. Do what you have to to put yourself in the best position. Having said that, I wish I hadn't bothered to watch it...

Reply #491993 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

Somebody who watches the NBL. Can you tell me - is Goulding seriously that bad at defence or was it all part of the act?

Reply #491994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is a joke he'll carve out a good career in an average European league like most of our so called superstars

Reply #491995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, what scenario would see us still finish second?

#massivebackfire

Reply #491996 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Slovenia will win against Lithuania today, good luck against the Usa mwhahahahah

Reply #491997 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The D was hilarious to watch. I feel sorry for those thinking they are watching a serious contest. But it will be very embarrassing if Slovenia win later tonight.

Reply #491998 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Real nice of the Boomers to help Moreira get closer to a NBA contract.

Reply #491999 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because there is a difference between playing the kids and blatantly throwing the game by intentionally conceding points, throwing bad passes on purpose, etc.

They should have just played guys out of position, played exum all game long, gone super small ball etc.

That way they lose but guys still get experience, you get to experiment with different, weird lineups, you get to see what small ball looks like (something lemanis hasnt used and will need to roll out later on).

So it was a wasted learning opportunity as much as it was a bit soul crushing.

And i felt sorry for the Angolans as well. Watching them celebrate that victory thinking they actually won a fair game left me feeling a bit hollow inside...

But now we have 3rd. You'd wanna hope you advance through this next stage now or you'll look pretty stupid.

Reply #492000 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

If you're upset about this result. Try to remember: It's not a poor reflection on the quality of the team, in fact it's the opposite. Australia's excellent play earlier in the tournament allowed them the luxury of losing this game with no bad consequences. Other teams haven't played as well in the first few rounds and are fighting for their lives but we had a 'friendly' training run and are still in a great position looking forward.
This was a smart move.

Reply #492001 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Lithuania will also tank against Slovenia, cuz they saw what Australia did today, you will see.

Reply #492002 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I love Australian Basketball but that was about as bad as it gets on virtually every level...ethically, morally, ....they threw the game. They purposefully tried to lose....I've honestly never seen that before in sport at a high level.....
I blame Lemanis, he orchestrated it and I just hope someone in the media or administration has the moral fibre to call him and the team on it.

Reply #492003 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Oh dear, teams have been doing this shit for years...get over, move on from your amateur ways and we may actually get a chance at a medal.
Get down off your soap box you dickheads !

Reply #492005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No longer a fan of the Boomers. Should have one the first game if they were too scared to play the US.

Reply #492006 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

Adam your an idiot...full stop

Reply #492007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moreira played against fat Jawai and slow Bairstow anyone could have scored 40pts. You don't earn NBA contracts playing against scrubs with no defense

Reply #492008 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

disgusting

Reply #492009 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Has there ever been a situation where two teams are playing a dead rubber that BOTH sides want to lose? I feel like that would be entertaining...

Reply #492010 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Lithuania will lose on purpose, i guarantee it

Reply #492011 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Why would Lithuania tank? If they win they now take top spot in the pool. Unless you think they're scheming to get rid of the Aussies 'coz they're so scared of us?

Reply #492012 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

@jimmy needles Goulding can play better D than that. Was decent at it in his Summer League stint.

Reply #492013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth is a wanker saying Faried is the next Kevin Durant and player people will spend big money just to watch play haha. How can you people with no clue hosting the tournament. NBA d leaguers would look like superstars against the opposition they're playing. Sack 'no clue' Phil Smyth. That comment was funnier than the boomers losing to Angola

Reply #492014 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lithuania have no reason to tank tonight. They can now only come first in group with a win, or third in group with a loss. The next game is a straight up and up fight.

Reply #492015 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'Adam your an idiot...full stop'

Irony.

Reply #492016 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Lol Lithuanians are scared of you mwhahahah no they will tank cuz they saw what you did today,,

Reply #492017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smith showing off his knowledge of the NBA at halftime. Proclaiming Kenneth Faried to be the next LeBron James lol.

Reply #492018 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Oh get a grip, we rested our starters and ran with the 2nd unit. If we still face the US so be it. People are acting like we threw this game, we just ran the 2nd and let the chips fall where they may.

Reply #492019 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

If lithuania finish third they avoid USA so yeah they will tank. Its not important if they finish first or third.

Reply #492020 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I disagree Joshuapending: that wasn't just a running of the 2nd unit, that was a blatant dive.

Reply #492021 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Lol we all saw what Australia did wmahahah losers

Reply #492022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania may not intentionally lose, but they'll rest their players like Australia did you would think.

Reply #492023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth = Wanker. Get him off the program he has no basketball knowledge

Reply #492024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Harry Balls

My thoughts exactly.

We earned the right to rest our stars the game before the knockout starts.

Lithuania and Slovaks will know a win guarantees first so no tanking there.

It's actually been supremely well managed.

Reply #492025 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I thought the goal was to win..not just finish with a medal. If you dont believe you can beat every team then why even play..just because teams have done it for years doesn't make it right. Have some pride and finish where you deserve. No usa team would ever tank too much pride. They could never show their faces at home

Reply #492026 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

I didnt know that Slovakia play on this WC mwhahaha

Reply #492027 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Love this decision to play the bench. Rest your guns, win or lose it does not matter. Good decision. I really don't think we tanked. I believe that we rested our guns and played our bench with the view that if we won or lost who gives a shit. Guarantee that the guys on court still played to win.

Goulding was unleashed, Jawai was good but looked tired, Dante showed glimpses of this high ceiling that people keep talking about.

Reply #492028 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Lithuania dont need to tank, cuz slovenia is a better team

Reply #492029 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Fine rest your stars but play it straight

Reply #492030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil smyth it's jawai not jawah! Idiot. The whole abc team is just horrible. (Includes both commentators). Had to turn the sound off. So irritating!

Reply #492031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Flinders

The last quarter was direct evidence we tanked.

Reply #492032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Michael - it's a whole different story when you're consistently the No. 1 nation in most competitions. The USA aren't in the next tier like Aus, so they never have to consider positions for knockout

Reply #492033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Right move IMO. Maximised the chance at the better path and rested key players.

Easy money at Centrebet too. No idea what they were thinking.

Reply #492034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching AFL Footy Show now until USA starts.

That panel is beyond iritating.

Reply #492035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much you lay down Issac?

Reply #492036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finishing 1st is a good thing right?

Hence Lithuania with try to beat Slovenia and win the group would be my understanding.

Makes it a real game unlike what would have occured if Australia won.

Reply #492037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yanniss with the endless supply of worms!

Reply #492038 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Anyone with half a basketball brain could see the obvious matador defense..lack of hustle on transition and no ergency to rebound or help.

Reply #492039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lithuania may not intentionally lose, but they'll rest their players like Australia did you would think."

Why would they do that? If they win they finish first in the group

Reply #492041 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Yanniss nice trolling. Really top quality. You're upsetting so many people, look at how angry we all are at your snarky jabs. Keep it up dude!

Reply #492042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep throwin them out Yanniss, you might get a bite

Reply #492043 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

It doesnt matter for Lithuania if they finish first or third. Its important that they avoid Usa in quarter final. They are better than Turkey, FInland, New ZEaland, Ukraine or maybe Dominican republic. So again it doesnt matter if they finish first or third.

Reply #492044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anyone with half a basketball brain could see the obvious matador defense..lack of hustle on transition and no ergency to rebound or help."

That is just Bubbles defense.

Jawai got tired although the extended run will do him good.

There appeared to be a focus on offensive rebounding, although when it didn't work it looked bad.

Baynes has been grabbing pretty much every rebound for us, we clearly missed him in the paint.

Reply #492045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We tanked, there is no doubt whatsoever. Mills would have had no part in this *#?+.
Talking about pride in wearing the singlet... Has Just been spat on...

Reply #492046 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

But it doesnt matter you will see today

Reply #492047 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

LOL. Those having a whinge about morals obviously know nothing about how the Euro teams do it. Get off your soapbox mother teresa.. aint nobody interested in 8th, we trying to medal here!

Reply #492049 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Nice tank not too fussed good job by the coaches resting up our key players. On to the next one!

Reply #492050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our main enemy is collusion between Lithuania and Slovenia here - Slovenia have the most to lose by losing and they are the elephant in the room now.

Lithuania win they finish first. Lose third. No USA.

Slovenia win they top the group. A loss however and they finish second which they will not want.

Reply #492051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of juveniles on here - grow up. If youre "truly" competitive, you'll take one for a chance at some glory.

Reply #492052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania might rest their players because it doesn't matter if they finish 1st or 3rd. May as well freshen up the players.

Reply #492053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was pretty obvious that we tanked and anyone who disagrees is in denial. Terrible defense, not even trying to rebound, jacking up threes....i don't know how to feel. It helps us in the tournament but it's so....Un-Australian.

Reply #492054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ánd if it doesn't pan out for Aus, well, nothing lost. We would have ended up 2nd anyway. Good management of players, maximizing the chances of 3rd, but if it doesn't happen - meh

Reply #492055 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Phil Smyth is a Wally and John Casey is a trumpet blower of the highest order.

Reply #492057 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Still gotta beat Turkey or Dominican Republic or it is all for nothing.

Reply #492058 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

yeah I doubt Australia can win against teams like Turkey, Dominican Republic, Ukraine,...

Reply #492059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might all come unstuck, but you PLAN for your best chances. We still might have a stinker in the round of 16 and be done - but you MAP OUT THE BEST PATH.

That's tournament play

Reply #492060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yannis - you using sardines now. Did the owrms run out?

Reply #492061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gwb. No one cares about bronze either. Respect and fair play is worth much more.

Reply #492062 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Michael, We don't believe we can beat every team. We lost because we know we will not beat the USA. For the first time we put ourselves in a position to control our destiny to a point. We played our cards and wait for the outcome of the next game.

Yannis, Lithuania will try to win as they get to play the weakest of the 4 teams in the other group and they will also avoid the USA in the quarters.

Reply #492063 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

And Lithuania and Slovenia know each other good. And also, Lithuanians fans always support Slovenia and vice versa.

Reply #492064 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

In reality nearly everyone there is playing for bronze. They're not stupid, they know it'll take a small miracle for anyone other than Spain and USA to play for gold and silver.

Reply #492065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree we tanked but looking at the bigger picture of who we face in future rounds. So, really no big deal that we lost. Great for the second unit particularly Goulding, Jawai, Exum and Motum to get good minutes and good production.

Reply #492066 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #492067 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

The only reason that tanking in this tournament is un-Australian is that we have never performed well enough to do it before.

Reply #492068 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

It doesnt matter if they get Turkey, Ukraine, Dominican Republic or maybe New Zealand. They are better than all these Teams. These Teams are on the same level. Just look at the scores.

Reply #492069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again Yanniss - so what. Aus havetried to give themselves the best shot. If Lithuania tank - oh well. No loss. But Aus losing at least made this a possibility, however unlikely you think it is.

Reply #492070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All or nothing lol. Sounds like a person with a criminal history.

Reply #492071 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Yeah you are right. MAybe I overreacted a little bit haha. I just dont like how Australia played today.

Reply #492072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a bit shit Yanniss.

But how well did we play against Lithuania!!!

Reply #492074 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Trolls are out in full force tonight !

Reply #492075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Anon at the fair play comment.

This isn't under 6s

Reply #492076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all those who think this stuff is Un-Australian, or that sport is or should be the shining light of morals and ethics in an otherwise tainted world - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

Sports been tainted for years, even when there was a lot more amateur athletes. Sport is drug addled, fixed, manipulated, and gouged by endless money interests. There's nothing pure anymore. Strategy for success.

You think Lemanis will lose his gig as coach for throwing a game, or maybe keep it if this in some way flukes us into the top 4?

Reply #492078 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Why did you even bother to win against Lithuania. If Lithuania would win, you would be third already, and Lithuania and Slovenia would be playing for the first place.

Reply #492079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many people from foreign lands calling us cheating scum on other forums and Facebook.

Reply #492080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we lose to Lithuania, then we don't have the luxury to even have a bad day and drop one. What if Angola pulled off the miracle win against Slovenia. Then we would have had the chance to finish 1st.

Reply #492081 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

yeah cuz it was that obvious lol

Reply #492082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let em carp. Go back over all World Cup/Champs, or any major tournament, and you can find examples of plenty of countries (probably the ones from those calling us cheating scum now) that threw games for better knock out positioning.

Reply #492083 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

It doesnt matter, what's done is done. I wish I could say good luck, but i cant hahah

Reply #492084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because a win against Lithuania was important for many reasons.

Angola was always the game to tank for many reasons.

Reply #492085 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

It is just WRONG, on so many levels. Where does it end, now Lithuania might throw a game. Why bother watching a non contest, what if the players decided to have a punt on the result. It unfairly disadvantages other teams in the group. It just isn't right.....but many of you are happy with the ends justifying the means so enjoy I guess.

Reply #492087 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Garth Holliday: You were my hero Ron! Why'd you have to say that? You come out with stink like that.
[Starts to cry]
Garth Holliday: Poop. You poopmouth, with poop out of your mouth!
Ron Burgundy: Garth, if I would give you some money out of my wallet, would that ease the pain?

Reply #492088 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

I bet on Angola to win ( odds were 6 on Angola to win ) cuz i knew Australia will tank,So I got that goin for me, which is nice. :D

Reply #492089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much you win Yanniss?

Reply #492090 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yanniss killing fools. MVP of the thread for sure.

Reply #492091 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

I didnt bet much ( cuz u know, dont have money haha) , i bet 20 Euros and got 120. not bad.

Reply #492092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good work

you dominated this thread from word go

Reply #492093 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not going to read this thread any further.. too many people are too "moral"... everyone KNEW Lithuania would tank tonight for better postion.. but our tanking has given them incentive to win as they can go for first.. Why is it no one in Lithuania is sitting there having a period about the ethics of the Lithuanian team (Who mind you.. have more medals than we do.. think about that for a moment)

Everyone wanted to avoid the USA>. No one wanted to do the dirty work to make that happen.. morons saying they would rather "face the USA honorably"... Yes, because a 30 point bashing to the US does wonders for our sport doesn't it? And a first ever medal (which is very possible if we avoid US til the Semis) Is something we can just wilfully forgo .. we are Aussies right? we cant possibly lower ourselves to the type of tournament tactics that the rest of the world (AND ESPECIALLY MEDALLING COUNTRIES) Do...

Sheer idiocy. Wake up and see this is chess not checkers.

Reply #492094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Life aint fair. You gotta do what you gotta do. If you dont look out for yourself no one else will. SUCH IS LIFE!

Reply #492095 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Old saying goes "if you can't beat them, join them"...

Euro teams have been doing this since day one! don't be ignorant!

Reply #492096 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Stefanos Dedas Assistant Coach of Slovenia tweeted this after the game:

"Congratulations for one of the most funny performance in history of basketball @AussieBoomers "

Reply #492097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is this wrong? We played hard, we were tired, we needed to rotate to give guys more minutes, they didn't play that great. Angola was on fire, made us pay for mistakes and won the game. How is this tanking???

Reply #492098 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Did you even watch the game. hahaha it couldn't be more obvious

Reply #492100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yanniss that's what I'm saying and I'm sticking to it.. lol

Reply #492102 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

ok ok. But, not sure if you are trolling or just know nothing about basketball :D

Reply #492104 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Lot of Pot.Kettle.Black going on here.
How many other World Cup teams have done the same in the past .
How many AFL or NBA teams have dropped dead rubber games to get a better draft pick. Listen to yourselves , you all sound like a bunch of whingers.

Reply #492105 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

I guess australian new moto is, play to lose ;D

Reply #492106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

our second unit couldn't get it done and we can't play zone defense.. simple

Reply #492107 | Report this post

Yanniss  
Years ago

Goran Dragic, star player of Slovenia tweeted this after the game:

"Basketball is a beautiful sport, there is no room for fixing the game like today Australia vs Angola!! @FIBA should do something about that!"

Reply #492108 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yep, just poor rotations from Lemanis. The players had no energy to jump for rebounds, play defense, nor box out. Jawai had no energy at all late in the game, until there was an alley-oop highlight opportunity when he accessed his turbo fat reserves. The Boomers D was dumbfounded by Moreira's ability to convert uncontested put-backs.

Reply #492109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They tanked, it's disgusting, but like move on with life.... Love that from the Slovenian assistant coach, classic

Reply #492111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For what its worth, commentators on ESPN here in the states just spoke about "conjecture" regarding Australia v Angola game.

We threw it.... deal with it, it was a bit of gamesmanship to create a situation that forces Lithuania to make a choice about their future in the tournament... seems they have more incentive to win than lose.

Bit of gamesmanship, still, Im amazed we actually threw it, seems like a flaw in the structure of the tournament. Is what it is.

Reply #492115 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Slovenians are just upset they won't get to play against a bunch of tankers tonight.

Reply #492117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's very much a case of don't hate the players, hate the game in this situation.

And the 'game' here is the way the seeding works for the knockout stage.

Reply #492121 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

What a disgrace from our team and it ll get a lot worse after slov beats lith... dont think lith has a lot of chances against slov, they played worse and slov will be a lot more motivated, while on the other hand liths couldnt really care if they are 1st or 3rd. We might even face a potential disqualification..

Reply #492126 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

So many whingers on here. Move on with life. GO BOOMERS!!!!!!!!

Reply #492127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What shits me is how many people think Lithuania would even consider tanking. They're not that pathetic. Unlike SHEAL!

Reply #492131 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Ok I just saw the score and didn't watch the match but unless the Aussies were intentionally missing shots and turning the ball over I have no problem with how we played. Why not rest your best guys and give some younger guys some burn who have been getting splinters all tournament. It's been a grueling schedule with 4 huge games in the past 5 days. It was a dead rubber, rest the guns for the big games to come.

Look at what every NBA team does in the last few games of the season after their playoff position has been finalized.

Dragic is just pissed because now they have to win versus a Lithuanian team who have nothing to lose! Both Slovenia and Lithuania would have done the exact same thing in Australia's circumstances, give me a break.

Reply #492132 | Report this post

dann37  
Years ago

They wont tank but i dont think they got a lot chances against slov who have something to play for unlike lith

Reply #492133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcqvIyiEn4I

I mean, really?

Reply #492137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officially done with the Boomers. Disgrace. We're not going to win gold, who cares about the "prestige" of a bronze in the Fiba World Cup mickey mouse tournament. Put your best team on the floor and play hard no matter who the opponent is. You muppets act like you will be stoked if Aus pulls out the bronze due to this move. Who cares? I would rather take the 1 in 10,000,000 of beating a weak USA team.

Reply #492138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aussie's shoot over 50% from the field, 58% from 3pt range and 7/;9 free throws, hardly tank worthy stats.

Reply #492139 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hahahaha, a lot of dramatic posts on here.

Lemanis following Brett Brown and the 76ers tanking strategy to get ahead. Nice work and absolutely nothing wrong with it, beats getting slaughtered by the States.

Reply #492143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know that if Slovenia win Australia still get to play the Usa. Really, i got the feeling that nobody watch basketball here.

Reply #492145 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Very proud to watch Lietuva V Slovenia both playing TERRIFIC basketball "as though their lives depended on it" (according to commentators) LTU 22-SLO 24 qtr time

Reply #492147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

44:36 for SLovenia HT

Reply #492148 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Bairstow and Exum very lucky to have already signed contracts in NBA. Based on their D last night they wouldn't get an NBL gig.

Reply #492149 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

By tanking you did absolutely nothing except give litho incentive to do the same. And guess what..you'll still get the US and get killed now that you've obviously told them you dont think you can win..you've embarrassed yourselves for no reason oh yes there was ..because euros have been doing it for years..aussie pride!!!

Reply #492153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spot on Paul. Game up for grabs and SLO falling apart right now!

Reply #492154 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Slovenia scored 2 in the final qtr!

Reply #492157 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"By tanking you did absolutely nothing except give litho incentive to do the same."
WTF? Winning gives Lithuania an incentive to tank, losing gives Lithuania an incentive to win. Which they did. So it worked perfectly.

Do they sell clues anywhere near you? You should go buy one.

Reply #492159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia finish 3rd.

Reply #492160 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Michael, If we hadn't tanked Lithuania would have unless they had a huge lead early against Slovenia.

And yes we don't think we can win against the USA. So what?

Reply #492161 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

WOO HOOO. LTU 67 def SLO 64. Slo only got 2 points in last qtr. GREAT DEFENSE LTU!!! THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY BASKETBALL!!

Reply #492163 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcqvIyiEn4I

Great effort on the break

Reply #492166 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Umm by tanking if litho lost they tie you for second you win on head to head..you go to 2nd correct?

Reply #492168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia v Turkey nz v Lithuania

Reply #492169 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Umm by tanking if litho lost they tie you for second you win on head to head..you go to 2nd correct?"
Why would Lithuania care where Australia finished?

Reply #492173 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Im saying I do have a clue. Litho could have rested their starters and finished 3rd like everyone here is trying to push as the right thing to do to avoid the US

Reply #492175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart, tournament basketball by the Aussies to rest their stars and get some minutes into their bench in this game.

Tournament ball is about planning ahead and looking at the big picture. Managing your personnel as fatigue does become a huge factor. You need to give your team every chance to finish as high as they possibly can. Win or loose they were going top 3 so the game was a dead rubber, better to rest the guns for the big game.

I can't see any problem whatsoever with resting your stars in a game in a tournament like this.

Go Aussies!!!!

Reply #492176 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

And the difference is Lithuania is too proud to TANK, no matter what the circumstances.

Reply #492182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana, Litho wanted to win. Trust me if Australia had beaten Angola Lito would have run their bench. It's tournament ball. Euros been running their benches in dead rubber games for years!!! Damn, Pop stole his philosophy from the Euros.

Reply #492183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know that tomorrow is a rest day. Yet people here are saying that by playing the bench "we were tired" Crap.
Talking up Jawai, oh dear Shane maybe you should have him in your Bullets side. Fat and lazy who "has such a soft touch"!!! Who cares how many points 'bubbles' gets when Moreira is left unchecked and single handedly beats the Aussies. WE certainly might get Moreira a gig elsewhere now by making him look so good when he probably isn't that good. Allowing him to score more than double his average is equally bad for the Aussies.
One of the worst Boomers results since Angola beat the Aussies 28 YEARS ago. Did they tank then too?
LeManis, shame, shame, shame. Luke and the Doc. Shame, shame, shame.

Reply #492184 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Litho could have rested their starters and finished 3rd like everyone here is trying to push as the right thing to do to avoid the US"
The alternative for the Aussies was second and the US. The alternative for Lithuania was first and an easier run. Lithuania wouldn't have played the US regardless of the result against Slovenia, so they had everything to gain and nothing to lose. Whereas if the Aussies had won, that wouldn't have been the case and Lithuania would've tanked, and the Aussies would've been stuck with the US in the quarters.

"And the difference is Lithuania is too proud to TANK, no matter what the circumstances."
No, the difference is Lithuania had something to gain by winning.

Reply #492185 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Crap!

Reply #492188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeManis denies tanking and Heal supports it.

Reply #492189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone just relax. Mission accomplished as far as setting it up with Turkey. Its a tournement not a winner takes of a group stage, so buckle up because now its winner take all.

Reply #492190 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

when the Aussies go deep into the finals courtesy of this loss what's the bet these haters are going to praise the wonderful foresight of Lemanis..

Reply #492192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana, why didn't Lance Franklin play last week?

You have to understand that managing your athletes physically is very important. They are not infallible robots that can go out and play and play even in games that don't matter. If Baynes had snapped an ACL in the Angola game Lemanis should have been sacked !!!

Reply #492194 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Complete tank job, an analysis of the second half shows some interesting video. No Boomers in the lane for defensive rebounds, 3 Angola players fighting for the rebound nu-contested. No reaction defensively to Moreira taking over. Running the shot clock down on offense and then taking contested 3's. Single coverage on the block and simply letting them turn the corner with no pressure, leaving the lane wide open on defense. Well done Boomers, but not a good look. I think FIBA needs to look into this, one option is to reset the rankings after the group stage based on win/loss and % e.g. 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

Reply #492196 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I did watch the game v Angola, what can we take from it, well it was of course obvious that we rested our starters and didn't get back to cover the fast break often enough thereby giving the result away.

In the end it wasn't very Aussie like to play that way and you never want to flirt with winning form, but now we get to prepare for finals and really if we blow this opportunity given to us by Lithuania we should then look back at this as a poor performance.

If we get a medal because of how things have panned out we will all be talking very differently I believe...

Reply #492199 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, did I like what I saw last night, not particularly.

Reply #492200 | Report this post

WTF !!!!  
Years ago

I'm very glad the coaching staff had the sense to get the most out of a dead rubber, I'm only sorry that it did not send italy or Cuba direct to the USA

Reply #492204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was very unaustralian... We used our heads

Reply #492205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome tactics by the Aussie Boomers. It would have been more discreet had Angola been good at playing basketball but they sucked.

I think that the main plan was for the bench to play Angola and hope that Angola will take care of business but instead, our bench was kicking their asses by half time, so we had to resort to a more obvious tactic of not properly contesting the ball, and that almost didn't work either.

So the winners from last night were:

The Boomers
The Boomers bench
Fans that got in on the betting action
That Moriera player from Angola

The losers were:

Some fans that stayed up to watch it
Betting Agencies
The team that contracts Moreira for more dollars that what he's really worth as we padded his stats

Reply #492207 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

To play D the way we did in the last part of that game in particular wasn't what we are used to seeing from an Aussie team anon^.

I was refering to how we let them score and how the pressure dropped off, it wasn't our way of playing D anon, that was my point, I get that we did what we did for a reason.

I hope we can turn it on for the rest of the tournament, then we can forget this dead rubber...

Reply #492209 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Meant for anon #492205

Reply #492212 | Report this post

dave g  
Years ago

seriously everyone here that is upset that australia tanked a game, really!!! Every sport in every competition on the planet does this.Teams in the NbA do it to get higher picks in the draft so does AFL sides as well. And lets not forget EPL sides and players who tank for financial benifit. Gambling is probably the main instigator of tanking just look at the IPL. Although I beleive the Boomers did it for increasing their chances to progress further into the championship and not for financial gain.

Reply #492213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO am I to believe if litho should have rested thier starters because it was a dead rubber for them?

Reply #492220 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I enjoyed seeing our bench playing okay basketball in the first half.

The tanking was blatant however, more so the coaching than the players. Did anyone else hear Lemanis' "You 4 to the offensive glass, Dante you've got safety"? early in the 3rd quarter? Jawai didn't come off until he was ready to collapse. Everyone was obviously told to play their men tight on the perimeter with nobody tasked with guarding the paint if a defender got blown by... I could go on but won't.

Unsporting.

Yeah, yeah, "smart", "everyone does it" etc etc, but its still unsporting. Resting your starters in a dead rubber is one thing, but let the players on the court try and win the game. And yes, it did work out for us with Lithuania beating Slovenia. But I still woke up with a bad taste in my mouth.

Reply #492221 | Report this post

djmojofosho  
Years ago

Ahhhh..so this is why Adrian Hurley was selected on the Boomers coaching staff...He has previous experience in losing to Angola. He has created history now being the only person to have been involved in 2 losses to Angola. Congratulations Adrian and well done to the Boomers on showing how to play the game at an elite level

Reply #492226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia earnt the right to tank by beating Lithuania. That's right, you win the right games and then you find yourself in the drivers seat. If you looked closely you can see certain signals to 'back off boys' from Lemanis down the stretch. I think it was a well disguised 'lay down', but no doubt it was an intentional loss. The Euro teams have been doing this for ages btw. Usually for us though we have been scrambling just to make the top 4. When you beat a powerhouse certain advantages come with it. Well done Andrej and group.

Reply #492228 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I think the most unAustralian thing about it all was that we actually had the smarts to look at the long term goal = win medals. That wouldn't of happenned if we won so we did the right thing.

Reply #492241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ this

Reply #492246 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^this

Reply #492248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The moment when Australia started tanking was when we were 15 points up in the 3rd. It was quite obvious what was happening, no defence in the lane, no contested boards what so ever. John Casey wetting his pants over Yanick was pretty embarrassing. The Hammer advocating tanking was quite funny as well.

The only positive out of the game was that Australia most likely could have won comfortably even with the bench out on the floor, shows decent depth. Goulding's shooting was impressive, hope he does well for his new club.

In any case, I'm not mad. If Australia can get past Turkey and then Lietuva (unless NZ pull off an upset), I would actually enjoy watching us play 2 extra games against quality opposition. Winning a bronze would just be a bonus.

Reply #492254 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

It WASN'T a dead rubber for Lithuania. They had something to gain from the result, the same thing that Slovenia had to play for...1st place in the group and an easier crossover opponent.

Reply #492258 | Report this post

thinkaboutit  
Years ago

some times you need to lose a battle to win the war.

A well thought out strategy by Lemanis

If the Boomers win a medal, who will remember this game.

Reply #492263 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

The other big positive apart from missing the USA till medal rounds, is the bench played well and would have won the game if they hadn't purposely switched off. Remember Angola are African champs and took Slovenia to 6 points in a game both teams wanted to win, so well played by our bench guys. It can only help to have those guys in form and confident leading into the knockout rounds.

Reply #492266 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Goulding showed he deserves more minutes and I have been pleasantly surprised with Jawai and Gibson

Reply #492271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a lot at stake here more than just the moral argument. It's called federal funding.

Reply #492274 | Report this post

djmojofosho  
Years ago

Is the meaning of `tanking' really just match fixing?

Reply #492277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mach fixing usually involves a conscious decision by several parties and usually involves betting IMO.

Reply #492279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy we did this and it worked out. We in with a shot at bronze :)

Reply #492280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If winning won't help you, then play your bench.

Every team in sports does this.

Reply #492285 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm just spewing I didn't get in on the action, betting wise.

I knew we would rest 3 or 4 key guys, but knew our bench would run right through them, so I didn't throw anything on Angola.

Did not foresee an actual throwing of the game...was predicting just a Greg Popovich-style holding out of the star players, with the coaching staff and bench guys still committed to playing fair basketball.

But boy was I wrong...

Reply #492288 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think its funny everyone crying over the morals of Australia doing this. yet it was a known fact Lithuania were going to do it if we didn't... I don't hear anyone say how little they respect Lithuanian Basketball?

Reply #492294 | Report this post

Years ago

Coming of age moment for the Boomers internationally. We are no longer the Euro's bully boys.

Reply #492295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous 274..... yes BA receives Federal Funding..... on performance..... & if they come back home with a bronze or better, then they are assured of continuity. Their decision has assured them that they will be in contention for the medal rounds.

Reply #492296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We still have to win some big games to get there, but at least we have a chance at a medal this way

Reply #492299 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Match fixing requires betting goals. Such as making sure teams are over or under lines, total scored points and other betting targets.

Reply #492301 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

i knew they were gonna tank this game from the tip off

what a shame

stooping to soccer styled tactics to get further into a tournament

this is for the world cup

where is the honour?

despite all the drama & bullshit

Yanick Moreira played a great game of basketball

looked like a young Kevin Durant

Reply #492303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous 296...my point exactly.

Reply #492316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's an interesting scenario......obviously the players knew and I would hope did not bet on it, however had they 'strongly suggested' to family members a bet was worthwhile some could have made a tidy sum.

Reply #492319 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anyone with their eyes open would have known that it was in Australia's best interest to lose. We were joking on here about that 22 hours before the game.

What is extraordinary is that the betting agencies didn't suspend betting on the event, because it was never going to be a fair fight between two teams who both wanted to win.

Reply #492341 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Exactly. I was clearly discussed in advance that it was in Angola's interest to win and Australia's to lose. I think the only reason betting wasn't suspended here is that the sport doesn't attract the attention that soccer does.

Reply #492345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.washingtongenerals.com/index-site.html

Reply #492378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Wash_gen_logo.jpg

Reply #492379 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Ray Gordon wouldn't have tanked.

Reply #492431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew
The Dream has his hand on his wizzer.

Reply #492432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754