Anonymous
Years ago

Rumour - Thon Maker to become Canadian Citizen.

Rumour has it he's moving to a new school in Canada and he's going to become a Canadian Citizen.

Would be a devastating loss for the Boomers. Hopefully it's not true.

Topic #35328 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/4053-thon-maker-transferring-to-athlete-institute

Reply #492099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops Hype Canada also recently posted on twitter

Source tells HHC the word behind Thon becoming a naturalized Canadian "I can't see that happening"

Reply #492103 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kyrie 2.0?

Reply #492144 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Kyrie only lived in Aus until he was 2, big big difference.

No way should Thon have the option of playing for Canada. USA is another story because at the very least he has been there for a number of years (as an early teen), rather than freshly moving there as a nearly young adult (i.e. Canada situation).

Reply #492150 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

How is it different from a naturalised import playing for Australia? There's no point making him play for Australia if he doesn't want to.

Reply #492151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

another traitor

Reply #492177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was Thon born?

Reply #492178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you have to live in a country for a few years to be naturalised?

Reply #492186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

canada want to pinch one of australia best talents. Disgraceful.

Reply #492191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tanking his talents to....

Reply #492195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not Thon that's making all these moves. It's his legal guardian who want's to make money off HIM SOONER. Please read this article from last year:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/refugees-escaping-war-are-aiming-for-the-stars-20130810-2rovx.html

Reply #492201 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

Let's relax and wait to see what he and his guardian decide. Using words such as traitor are very extreme for a incident that hasn't occurred yet.

You can't blame him for trying to make the most of his size and talent.

Reply #492206 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Australia has had plenty of athletes compete for us in track and feild and weight lifting etc at olympics so we can`t jump n another country for doing the same.

If any thing I would say it is a shame given he and his family were taken into australia on a refugee status were they not? If so you would think he would want to give back in that sense.

End of the day it`s his talent and his body he can do as he likes.

Reply #492210 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well.. If he goes he can get fucked quite frankly.. I will be mocking and booing him from every outlet I can.

Reply #492224 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Tanking his talents..." Love it.

Reply #492225 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If he does go Canadian I won't be too affected. Can't miss what we never had.

Reply #492238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like a really talented kid getting very poor guidance.

How many schools since he has been to in the states?

I would have thought stability would have been important for a kid that left a war torn country.

Reply #492242 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

If anyone knew anything about Ed Smith (guardian), this shouldn't surprise you.

Reply #492252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has 1-2 years in Canada for high school then never again will he grace there shores (unless he signs to toronto).

Canada citizenship unlikely

Reply #492297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on, we're talking about:

- A 17 year old boy who has gone through refugee camps and genocide.
- A man who probably sacrificed everything on a gamble to mentor this kid into super-stardom.

They must be shit people if they don't choose Australia right. Get some perspective you arrogant twats with your first world problems.

Why do people think he owes Australia something? He's already identified himself as Australian yet you rip into him when some unconfirmed report comes out? Why the hell would he want to represent a bunch of Tony Abbotts like yourselves?

Reply #492308 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bit harsh on Tony Abbott Anon...blokes current prime minister as voted by the people....your pretty much calling him a bigot!

Reply #492322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elected on broken promises and lies just like every other prime minister before him and all prime ministers after him. Don't get me started on politics we could talk smack all day, would probably be a good Sunday arvo in all honesty.

Abbott's made plenty stupid bigoted remarks throughout his whole political life especially against women, it goes to show the mentality of some Australians to vote this man in.

Reply #492325 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

nothing story.

as for those comparing athletes who have come to australia the 99.99% of athletes who have naturalised and competed for us did so because a) oz became their home and b) they didnt have the choice to play for their home country anyway.

name athletes australia has "pinched" from another country. you will be hard pressed.

Reply #492327 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Thons is a weird situation, however he would be stupid not to play for Australia because theres no way he is gonna be good enough to make the Canadian team with there talent coming through. He hasn't proven himself yet so I'm not very worried if he goes into college and dominates i will be upset if he doesn't play for Aus but i can really see the bust side of thon so I'm not very worried!

Reply #492367 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"''Australian junior basketball is beleaguered by politics and a Mom and Pop approach. The complexion of a rep program, elite training program, or State team will hardly change from under 12s to under 18s. The same kids are promoted time and time and again. I feel that there is so much untapped talent in Australia.''

Smith is making a whole lot of sense there, even if he seems like somewhat of a controlling sycophant...

The problem here is the pathways to elite basketball (rep teams) in Australia involve significant financial input from the kid's family, and lots of people don't have that kinda of money just sitting around.

So you open it up for guys like Smith to come in and do these sorts of things, whereas in the States, you get a scholarship to a good school, or you go to a public school with a good basketball program, and then you get a scholarship to college. Money doesn't have as much to do with it.

In Aus you have rep teams (local, state, etc), and you have to pay for that out of your own pocket.

Reply #492382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil a quick look and i found Francois Etoundi took 60 secondss do you want me to look for more ?

Reply #492392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon maker has no allegiance to Australia, why would he, he was not born here, has chosen to go live in America before he had Finished school because "Australia wasn't offering him what his minder thought they should be" and now off to Canada because he's not getting what they think he should be getting.

He will never play for Australia, and why should he when there are guys who would break their necks to represent the country they were born in. Let him go his minder will burn more bridges than he builds. Shame he is guided by money hungry people

Reply #492403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and you know they are money hungry? or just spitting shit like usual?

Reply #492454 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Francois Etoundi was a refugee from cameroon who came to our country and applied for refugee status.

that is hardly us poaching an athlete. in a matter of fact he came here to compete in the games and rather than return home decided to apply for refugee status rather than return to his situation back home.

so yeah , keep looking for examples where australia has "poached" athletes from other countries.

Reply #492468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he he does, you guys are reacting like 5 year olds. I wouldnt want to deal with piss weak want everything 'fans' from this forum.

Reply #492481 | Report this post

gwbbbb  
Years ago

@ GWB you sir are a tool. "I will be booing and mocking him at every opportunity" Do you really think Maker gives a shit about you?
That is all.

Reply #492568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he want to represent a country who hate african immigrants. I hope he becomes a star and plays against Australia

Reply #492976 | Report this post

Michael Jordan  
Years ago

better fucking play for Australia or will get a lot of hate

Reply #520573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ater Majok 2.0

Reply #520624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Comment about hatig African immigrants...You are kidding right??? Hate them so much that we provide them with assylum and a place to live free from the BS in their own countries. If you don`t ;like it go back to Africa then, enjoy the famine the bullets flying past yur head and the fact you are treated like animals.

Sick of the pouring on the heart strings about this crap all the time. STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD!!!!

It has nothing to do with race, if you are a good citizen, Black, white, Asian or purple you will be respected by people.

SMH at all this BS.

On a side note, given he has been given the chance at a better life from australia you would hope that he would want to represent our country and not jump ship to another nation. (Did Canada provide him with asylum?)

Reply #520769 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

^couldn't agree more well said

Reply #520772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't feed the trolls

Reply #520773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754