ShutUp!!
Years ago

Elder silences with Buzzer beater

Didn't want to post this, as it was a shattering blow.

Woodville defeated South 87/86 on a 3 pointer on the buzzer.

Scanlon 26 pts, 5 rebs & 6 steals, Pilkington 23 pts, 12 rebs, Baylis 12pts & 6 rebs.

Elder 21 pts & 10 rebs, Birmingham 17 pts & 5 rebs, Wilson & Reeves 12 pts each, Pascoe 10 pts, Puddifoot 9 pts, 12 rebs & 3 assists

Topic #3534 | Report this topic

FLY  
Years ago

MASSIVE win for the Warriors

Reply #40985 | Report this post

Eat it!! huge win by the warriors, huge shot by the big tree!! Doesnt get any sweeter than that!!!

Reply #40987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke. The stadium was in silence due to total disbelief from the pathetic performance of the umpires.

Honor that fat man, you can talk about a sweet win when it is actually earned through the performance of a team!

Congratulations South, a very well fought game considering the second half of the game could only be played offensively.

Butler you have a lot to answer for, not only for allowing mini league umpires officiate a game but also for watching them have an impact on who plays finals!But then again why wouldn't you....sturt haven't had a very good run of late have they???

Reply #40995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch talk about sour grapes

Reply #40998 | Report this post

Please stop your bitching anonymous, your team lost yeah ok thanks. The refs were just as bad for Woodville as well (actually I thought they umpired quite well, consistent for both teams)

Anyway, probably the best game I've seen all season, two of the best defensive teams going at it. Very unlucky for South, losing on the buzzer to a three-ball by the Warriors' centre, but great news for Woodville fans! Very scrappy game (5 players on 5 fouls, 1 fouled out) the first quarter had 20 fouls and went for 28 mins! Some mass throwdowns by Steve Pilkington as well.

Reply #41008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever Eastern, if that is the best game you have seen all season then you don't get out much!

Reply #41013 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

who are you anonymousas?your nothing!

Reply #41024 | Report this post

Yeah, what the hell do you mean anonymous no. 1 when did i mention that it was not a team performance ??

Reply #41026 | Report this post

Good on you anonymous, i agree with you! those refs were pretty bad and i do believe that the 3 pointer that was shot was INSIDE the 3point line by an inch! wasn't fair to south!

Reply #41027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonomuos,

Michael Butler was actually a Forestville junior and never coached or played at Sturt.

Scott moved to sturt as a coach to coach the U/12 Boys, after playing his juniors at Forestville.

Looks like another pathetic excuse by a South person, who has about as much of an idea about basketball as their committee.

Considering the state of their junior program, and the fact that their senior men's team foul more than a shed full of chickens. They should be thankful that their senior womens team has enough players from other clubs to make them competitive. Otherwise, they wouldn't have ANYTHING in the club to crow about.

Reply #41028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch

Reply #41030 | Report this post

Elder Fan  
Years ago

Way to go Tree! That's my brother you all are talking about there.

Wish I'd been there to see that shot!

Reply #41035 | Report this post

EAT IT!!!!!!  
Years ago

stop crying south fans. shit happens some times so deal with it. we should have won last week but u dont here the warriors ppl crying!

Reply #41037 | Report this post

miracles  
Years ago

good work from both teams. South just got unlucky.. bad luck south

Reply #41040 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Have to agree with eat it, that this does appear to be sour grapes from a few south fans.

I think I have seen one reference out of any posts to the end of regular time issues that arose from the Warrios vs Eagles game, and even that post wasn't saying that Woodville were robbed of the game.

I also would like to say to people like Honor The Big Man, you dont do the club any favours by reflecting bad sportsmanship even when your team wins. There is such a thing as taking a win graciously.

Reply #41043 | Report this post

@ (#41013)

I actually like a good honest hard game, which it was. South went out to do their job, which was hammer Tree (since there was no Reesy) and did a good job (Baylis and number 11), but Tree showed his class by posting excellent stats (21, 10). The battles between Tree and Baylis were highly entertaining. As was Puddifoot and Pilkington. So yeah. You win some, you lose some.

Reply #41049 | Report this post

bloodynora  
Years ago

i must admit i got the best laugh from anonymous 41028. if you look at most clubs' senior teams they have players from elsewhere and woodville men's is no different - elder; rees (although he didn't play last night); birmingham etc. as for the junior program - obviously you aren't comparing it to woodville - enough said. as for the game it was a tough hard fought game which could have gone either way and can't be taken away from the winners they managed to use that last 6 secs. i think everyone from both sides would have to agree the reffing was definitely inconsistent and was the downpoint of the game - numbers of fouls is not necessarily a sign of the roughness of the team - in this instance it was a sign of that INCONSISTENCY IN REFFING

Reply #41051 | Report this post

playthegame  
Years ago

In reply to anonymous 71028 - South are very aware of the problems in their junior program which is why they are making the moves to rectify it - sadly these things don't happens over night and it takes a few years to get results. Their senior women have some very talented players from other clubs - mostly very disgruntled players who wanted to play at a club where they would be given some respect and not treated as a very poor second to the mens team. I notice Southern have not learnt anything since the mass exodus but then again nothing would dent the arrogance of their leadership.
Suffice to say the saviour of their mens team has achieved nothing for 2 years.

Reply #41052 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

This was a great game! It was physical, scrappy and close all night! Very entertaining!

Givin some props here to G. Pasc...had a great game and made the most of his lower than usual minutes. Had a massive "EAT IT" block and chucked the assist to the game winner!

Also Tree had a ripsnorter! Was gettin soft fouls called all night then gettin away with murder, it must have been very confusing! Kept his head despite an early scuffle and foul trouble.

Reply #41054 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

By my calculations South must now beat Forestville and hope West lose to Eastern next week to make the finals. West have the split on a tie situ.

Reply #41114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pity the South vs Forestville game isn't at Marion as that would really make things interesting.

Are Woodville guaranteed 3rd or 2nd?

The final round will just decide the location of the final between Sturt and Woodville (Pasadena or Dome) unless I'm mistaken. Neither can advance past 2nd or drop further than 3rd.

Reply #41116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well playthegame,

And what exactly is being done in their junior program. Having somebody's mum do the coaching directors job, because the guy they put into the position can't do it.

Or perhaps having all the Southern coaching rejects doing Div 1 in their girls program. That seems to be working just great.

What about letting State players miss club trainings because they are too tired. He seems to be getting about as many rebounds as the coaches are. Might have something to do with the club not instilling any sort of work ethic i it's players.

Or maybe having members getting off of suspensions for kicking opposition players. Why allow somebody to play for your club when they have a parent who is willing to sue so that their kid can act like a thug.

Oh, and the way the senior men's team plays is a disgrace. Put them on a rugby field, not a basketball court.

Heaps is being done! Looks like it!

Reply #41117 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

A disgrace? Why is it a disgrace anonymous? A team that has gone from second to bottom last year to hopefully a finals spot is no disgrace. Besides West, every other eam in the finals race were there last year so from my point of view that's a pretty damn good effort.
If you can't handle the way we play don't come and watch! And if your not there every week watching then how can you comment?

Reply #41120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - I'm not sure if your assuming that South will lose to Forestville because the game is at Wayville. If so, perhaps you should consider the following. A loss on Saturday night could see South out of the finals, and my tip is that after Saturday night they will be completely fired up!

Reply #41124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not assuming anything except that South's chances would increase if they were to be playing at home. Forestville would be under a bit of pressure in the confines of Marion!

Reply #41130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough....mind you do Forestville feel any pressure at the moment?

Reply #41131 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Izzard, to also clear this weekend up, if West beat Eastern then South are in the finals regardless of whether they win or lose. Due to beating Eastern twice during the season they have the head to head advantage.
If Eastern beat West then the Panthers must beat Forestville to make the post season, as West will claim the final spot as they beat South by more than what South beat West by.
I guess come 10pm Friday night destiny will be in the Panther's hands...

Reply #41133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They would at Marion -- it's just a different atmosphere to Wayville. I'd probably tip South at Marion, but not at Wayville.

Reply #41134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Panther,

The attitude you display here is exactly the reason South is a club going backwards. That is the exact attitude the rest of the club have as well. I remember you telling everybody that South were a club on the rise. Only 1 State player and 1 point won in the junior State Championship. Yeah things are lookin up.

It matters not if I come out and see your games. Sometimes when you win you actully are just setting things up for long term losing in the future. I hope that all the juniors who come out to watch you play take the same attitude to their games. That way we will never need to worry about your club being anything other than improving one year and going back to the bottom the next.

Reply #41215 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

anon 41215

i dont understand what you mean by "the attitude." South have improved on last year, that's a positive, why try to knock panther?

Please elaborate...

Reply #41218 | Report this post

Agggreived  
Years ago

My concerns for Panther are that his club think that the results justify the means.

By that I mean that if you have to play dirty, and give cheap shots to get the win then that is OK.

Rather than working on improving your ability through skill and technique improvments.

This is especially evident in their junior program. looking at their juniors yuo can see that they show limited improvement and just try and push and thug opposition payers.

The fix is short term. The big picture says that over time referee's will crack down on players deliberatly playing outside the rules and the spirit of the game. And they will be right back where they started. Or good honest players will leqve the club and move to greener pastures.

Reply #41230 | Report this post

miracles  
Years ago

go panther! your my idol :)

Reply #41232 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

So does this mean agggreived is anonymous from the post before?
If we as players were playing outside the rules don't you think umpires would see this and would control the situation? Obviously you are a whining Centrals fan who is still going about the win we had against you guys.
We are not the most talented team in the competition, this is quite obvious. We don't have a Dix, or a Forman, Ng a Gower, a Hambour, Watson, or an American, we don't have the luxury of a Sixer being in our team and this has been the case for a number of years. Whether that be because we haven't had a junior like that come through our ranks or the fact that we aren't going to buy one of these players, we have worked hard to play as a team defensively and offensively and this my little cowardly friend is what our club is about, hard work.
You can whinge and cry as much as you want, because if you weren't then obviously you wouldn't be worried about South beating your sorry ass next time we play you!

Reply #41355 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Well put Panther. I would much rather watch a team play hard nosed physical defense than some pretty offence. Hence the fact I love watching the pistons play, they aren't scared to give up a hard foul or dive on a loose ball. In my eyes that is a lot better to watch than someone scoring 30+ points. People should just stop bitching about the way teams play. If you're a good enough player you will be able to cope with whatever the opposition throws at you.

Just my opinion.

Reply #41357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Obviously you are a whining Centrals fan who is still going about the win we had against you guys" comments like that I feel are just adding fuel to an already burning(and out of control) fire.

Reply #41362 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Which fire is that?

Reply #41363 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Going on the previous posts listed, Anon is a southern person, who took offence to "playthegames" comments.

I understand why you are so mad with how shit your team has done this year after such a promising year last year.

Reply #41364 | Report this post

Wish I could dunk  
Years ago

the sturts, norwoods, norths etc etc have played outside the rules for years,,,,now other teams have woken up ....they complain???????

The South womens team has players from other clubs and the other teams dont????? hmmmmm erin was a bearcat wasn't she????

Reply #41365 | Report this post

aXL  
Years ago

A tough scrappy game by both teams. Well fought out by Woodville to get the win. Its a shame when two physical teams come together that the umpires feel they want to be the highlight of the game by over umpiring. This is not an excuse for either team but Neil and Wayne were disgracefully inconsistent (for both teams). An umpire should never be remembered, well that what I think anyway. I think the fact they both RAN off the court at the end of the game and did not come out of their change rooms until an hour after the game shows they were either getting bawled out by butler or they know how disgraceful they were and were scared to come out and face the music. I emphasise this is not an excuse but if a player has a real bad game they will usually cop it on this forum and these two umpires i believe deserve everything they get.

Reply #41385 | Report this post

They were consistent for both teams, which I don't have a problem with. I don't care if you're the worst ref in the world, but if you ref evenly and without bias I won't complain (much)

Reply #41415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aXL

does it ever pass through your very closed mind that the refs may have been discussing life in general after the game review was over.

those guys have been friends for years and 'catching up' with news often happens.

JUST because refs are in the room for an hour after doesn't mean they are being told off, it could me a variety of things.

UNLESS you personally were in there and heard the discussion you are only assuming.

And 'ass'umation just makes an ASS out of U

Reply #41424 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anonymous, congratulations on discovering a new word. "Assumation"? I think you meant assumption.

Who's the ass now?

Reply #41429 | Report this post

Aggrieved  
Years ago

Well Panther,

I think that it is great that you think that by thugging other teams rather than playing basketball is good for some wins.

Again my problem, or more importantly your problem is that this attitude will, and has inevitably drained down to your junior. And this can be seen in the results of your junior program, which you yourself so proudly praised earlier this year.

I could care less if you won last week. Or if you win this week. If the attitude of your club doesn't change. And it probably won't. Then South will always be known as a club of thugs and any decent kid will move. Thus in 5 - 10 years time, the only way they will be able to compete is to thug people. Hence the cycle will continue.

Reply #41439 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What I said earlier on in the year is we are making changes to our junior program and we have a good committee in place to take care of this.
Can I ask one question of you Mr Coward, why are you so worried about what we do at South?
Would I guess right in saying that if the senior Men's team was at the bottom of the ladder you wouldn't be making uninformed comments like this? How many times have you watched South play this year?
Is it because the South senior teams have made some huge strides this season and your pathetic club are still dwindling around the bottom and you feel that bashing South will make you feel better?
Because really without putting your name or your club against any of your posts you can happily sit there behind your computer and be the tiny person you really are...
We are a defensively minded team and if you want to call us thugs, fine. I really don't think any of my team mates will lose any sleep over it, especially if we keep winning.
Let me guess, you didn't watch the NBA finals this year??? Bunch of thugs on those teams too huh?

Reply #41447 | Report this post

Aggrieved  
Years ago

So what exactly has been done to improve your junior program?

You have Southern rejects coaching all of your junior girls teams.

You have a coaching director who doesn't go to games and is told what to do by somebodys mother.

Your only State playre doesn't turn up to trainings because he is too tired from State and SASI treainings. (I'm quite sure that the other State kids still make their team trainings)

And your boys teams play exactly like your senior team. Minimal skill and maximum thugings.

Oh, and I care because, I care about basketball in SA. And currently South is restricting the better clubs from improving becasue it demands to have teams in div 1 when they are not even as good as div 2 teams from my club.

Reply #41451 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

So what are you doing to help South? By defamatory comments on a public forum?
What are you doing about Woodville, Southern, Centrals???
So how is your club going, your yet to tell me who you are, and what team you either play in or support.
To me you sound like an gruntled ex South player who couldn't make the cut!

Reply #41453 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Aggreived,

I think your being very harsh on South. So you're saying because they play tough D within the rules that they are a bad team? The Pistons have based themselves on that Philosiphy for years and they have been successful.

I don't think sitting behind your computer is helping the situation either. Why dont YOU head down to South and try and help fix the "problems" you "claim" to see. If you cared that much about basketball SA you would be doing something to fix it not sitting here bagging the club.

You keep saying how unsuccessful South is, but (i can't really say for juniors) but in the seniors they seem to be doing quite well for themselves with the Mens in with a chance to qualify for the finals and the women sitting comfortably in second? Is this not enough proof of a good year for them?

Reply #41454 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Aggreived - i am having a debate with a friend of mine, i think you are an ex-south coach who lost your spot to a southern 'reject'. My mate thinks you are a Sturt div 2 coach who is sick of terrible south junior opposition who are more physical.

Can you settle this little dispute for us please.

Reply #41461 | Report this post

Aggreived  
Years ago

Well Bizzy,

In juniors they had only 1 team in the top 4 at State Championships. Their U/12 Boys finished 4th.

The other week my club played them and in div 1 from U/12 to U/18 we won all the games and only 1 game was inside 20 points. Plus we have had div 2 teams from my club beat their div 1 teams in Melbourne.

And I have my time full developing the team I coach myself.

Reply #41462 | Report this post

Aggreived  
Years ago

PS Curious

Neither

Reply #41463 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Once again to cowardly to name yourself or your club, pathetic.

Reply #41465 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Aggreived, when I played juniors our club used to hammer West Torrens (Forrestville), but didn't openly bag them. Things have a way of going in cycles. It takes a long time to get results from seeds planted today.

Reply #41467 | Report this post

Aggreived  
Years ago

Cowardly may be deliberately hitting somebody from behind.

Or calling people names rather than answering the question

I guess it all depends on what each person decides is cowardly.

Well answer the question.

What is being done.

Reply #41469 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

If your not going to identify yourself or your club why do I need to answer your questions, are you that bad a coach that you need to pick up some pointers????
And if your incinuating that I hit someone in the back of the head or any of my team mates, I would love for you to point out when?

Reply #41470 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

okay, so your not sturt. You've still got to be from either Sturt or Forestville, they both recorded wins (from their second and third string teams) over south div 1's.

now, when sturt played south, there were 4 games under 20 pts, and f/ville had a game with a 5 pt margin, and only 12's and 14's played.

so i think that must have been a red herring (20pts all grades), given the melbourne results you refer to.

Can you please enlighten us...

Reply #41472 | Report this post

Aggreived  
Years ago

Or maybe you can't because
the results speak for themselves.

Maybe it was the Centrals game??? What do ya think?

Reply #41473 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

c'mon panther, dont leave us all hanging here!!

Reply #41476 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

If you were at the game or read the posts, I didn't hit anyone in the back of the head it was actually a south player who was originally hit in the back of the head.
Mate, your a nobody and there is not point in even continuing this conversation, go back to your room and play with your dolls mate.

Reply #41478 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

In winter season on only 2 occasions has South lost all its Div 1 Junior games, Round 7 to North (5 wins under 7 points - sounds competitive to me) & Round 13 to Sturt (with 4 wins under 20 points). Pretty easy to work out since the U12/1 South Boys have only lost to either North or Sturt.
Then again Sturt are right at the top in most Division 1 grades, so I don't know why South is getting targetted here, as for example when South last played Woodville in Junior Div's (week before they played Sturt) South actually won 6 of the 7 games, as Woodville don't even have an U18/G(1) side.

Reply #41479 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Didn't want to post this, as it was a shattering blow.

Panther has resorted to name calling, and non-threatening insults of playing with dolls.

Aggreived seems to have won the battle, but who will win the war?

Reply #41480 | Report this post

aXL  
Years ago

Aggreived you have been found out buddy if you are gonna use stats at least use correct ones. Its obvious you care alot about basketball in SA with your cowardly club bashing. You are arguing with a guy that openly represents himself and his club, you are simply an anonomous bagger.

Reply #41483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah aXL, bagging refs is much better....

Reply #41484 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Curious, how has he won the battle when he's still hiding at home under his quilt???
I guess it is hard to hit a target when you don't know what it is and can't see it...

Reply #41487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Assumation" i will wear the ass tag on that one, that is what you get when you type and send too quick before the boss sees you.

if the boss caught me posting on hoops forum during working time it would be my ass kicked out the door

hence the new word :(

Reply #41494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aggreived,

If you have an issue with South men that's fine, but take it out on them.

My son is an eight year old boy that plays for South. He spends at least an hour a day working really hard on his skills, and then some half wit comes along and calls him a thug.

I take great offense to your suggestion that all South players are thugs.

I hope my child grows up learning to defend himself. If you are that soft why don't you go and involve yourself in a nice chess club!

Reply #41501 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

because panther, you were asked a direct question

"So what exactly has been done to improve your junior program? (#41451)"

and then

"Well answer the question. (#41469)"

and then

"Or maybe you can't because
the results speak for themselves. (#41473)"

and failed to shut him up. I am not having a stick and have little time for people like aggreived who post negative comments under alias's, but you never answered his/her question...

Reply #41530 | Report this post

another anonymous  
Years ago

curious,

i think the guy could be a north guy. Short ref who probally gets pushed around and cant handle it when people play hard basketball.

Reply #41533 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

^^^ that is a different 'another anonymous'. I used the alias another anonymous late last year. My previous 'another anonymous' posts do not reflect who this one above is.

Reply #41534 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I do not see how slamming clubs on this forum is going to assist in the development of basketball in SA? Young kids read this forum and slamming clubs is not what I call productive.

Development of basketball in this State extends beyond what you are doing for your club but also includes being positive where possible regarding other junior programs. If you have got nothing positive to say, then just do not post.

This forum is used by many people who are not involved at a district level and the sport is looking to attract players, then how about make constructive comments? I think everyone involved in Club Basketball wants to see the standard improve and if we all work towards the same goal, then it will be achieved.

The Woodville v South game was a hard contest and nothing much comes better then a game decided on a buzzer beater.

Reply #41555 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Curious, I could give him a hundred different answers but I could guarantee it would not stop him from bagging South juniors, seniors or the club itself. He/She has either been a victim of a South whoopin or was obviously a reject of the South club, so there really is no point in going any further with this "anonymous" person.

Reply #41560 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Good call Panther, it's not worth anybodies time replying to the tool or bothering to read his slanderous remarks towards the Panthers. I had some of my most fun and physical games against the Panthers. Many a foul called - but never thuggish just hard nose defence trying to take a charge or dive on a loose ball. Agreived stop wasting everyones time and shut up.

Reply #41561 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Panther, how's Kelly going at South? I knew Kelly when we were middle-teenagers, many moons ago at Brighton CofC. Must admit, I had my doubts about his ability at the top level but I'm eating my words now. Hats off Kelly - must catch up some time.

Reply #41567 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer Kel's been good for the guys and the club, although I think he needs to play me more! (Take note Kel if your reading this!!!)

Reply #41576 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Play you more? You got on in the first quarter last saturday and came off about 2 and a half minutes later because you had 3 fouls :P Any longer on court and you would've been fouled out within the first quarter :P Which in itself would have been funny. Considering all you had to do on saturday was step on court and you saw yourself get a foul instantly, I'm amazed you were able to play out the whole game.

Reply #41579 | Report this post

miracles  
Years ago

panther your still my idol:)

Reply #41657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754