Hoopie
Years ago

Tank, or lose government funding?

In the long string of comments on the Angola game, I didn't see any sign of WHY we need to reach at least the last 8, apart from the idea of getting a medal or good ranking.

How much funding would we lose for finishing in the play-offs for 9 - 16?

I hated tanking but if it keeps government funding then I'm all for it.

Blame the government for its stupid funding model, people, not the coaches !

Topic #35348 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I dont buy this as a justification. The Socceroos are ranked 30 something in the world and get a lot more funding than Boomers.

FIFA officially claims 265 million players globally. FIBA claims 450 million.

Basketball has the tools to demand a significant lift in funding but is being punished for its past administration.

The federal government is in love with China as a trade partner, it is surprising that basketball isnt positioning itself to assist with this relationship to leverage funding.

Reply #492483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 100%. In the outpouring of moral indignation, this has been completely overlooked.

Top 4 in the world means $$$ for athletes.

The Football Federation Australia are also able to generate revenue by having strong commercial partnerships with big companies like Nike and Qantas.

Basketball Australia don't have those commercial opportunities. They've started to, but it's not at the level of the Socceroos or the Wallabies or the Australian Cricket team.

Reply #492485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most major media corporations in Aus like soccer.

It was decided in the late 90s after a school survey the found that Jordan was the most popular sports star in Aus that Bball would be ignored almost completely and AFL, tennis, Cricket, Rugby and Cricket would be forced down kids throats.

Government funding is jus a reflection of this decision, Aus government is controlled by a combination of media and mineral resource corporations.

As for the tankin, its up to FIBA to set a tournament that doesn't encourage it. Happens everytime, jus we are on the other side of it this time.

Reply #492487 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yep, if the tournament wasn't set up in a way that actually encourages losing games in order to advance higher on, then it would never happen. As it is, the Aussies were just playing smart tactics. Its not un-Australian to be smart, right?

Besides, the majority of Australia doesn't even care about the Boomers unfortunately so why should the Boomers play the moral high ground for a nation that simply doesn't support the game, and then ultimately fall short in the tournament when they could finish much higher - hence increasing some interest (and funding) for the game.

Reply #492492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's an idea.... how about you finish first in the group so you don't have to worry about losing to avoid second place.

Reply #492493 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

^ What a brilliant idea!

Reply #492494 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Put it behind us and play on.

If we tanked (looked likely) - it would of been a on the ground decision not a accounting decision.

Time to just focus.

Reply #492495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The funding KPI's were adjusted to top 8 after the withdrawal of Bogut and Mills. If we lose to Turkey, then Lemanis should be in trouble. I may be wrong but it looks like if we had won against Angola, we would have played NZ which would have all but guaranteed top 8 and our funding.

Reply #492506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We would have finished 2nd meaning Dominican Republic then USA

Reply #492511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would prefer to face the Dominican Republic with millions on the line. We would then lose to the US and that is not ideal, but at least we would have the funding and resources to qualify for the Olympics.

Reply #492515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a lame excuse for a basketball program if they have to use these kinds of tactics. The reliance of government handouts doesn't bode well for any industry to begin with. An industry that can't support itself will eventually die, it's been the formula for business forever.

Ultimately it's the fans and supporters that dictate market share, the governing bodies have never been able to capitalize on the strong underlying grassroots of basketball and turn the local game into a viable commercial entity.

Reply #492516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian automotive industry is a classic example of govt propped up industry that was always doomed unless it could compete globally.

Basketball needs to become cool again here before it will ever stand alone.

Reply #492517 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If we lose to Turkey, it will have all been for nothing, only ruining our reputation and giving Slovenia a tougher challenge. The tanking only works on the assumption that we win the next game. You'd expect the Dominican Republic to be an easier assignment than Turkey who have given us much trouble in the past.

Reply #492522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl , nrl and a league are all quasi dependent on government hand outs. Collingwood alone got 10 million from government last year

Sport in this country needs government funding at all levels

Reply #492524 | Report this post

Tourney Logic  
Years ago

Is it just me or is everyone missing the point of finishing 3rd?

It's not often that a Boomers team has this kind of opportunity for a medal, Especially with the draw falling the way it did and even with Bogut and Mills out.

I applaud any mindset that is looking to strive for the big goal of a medal rather than focusing on top 8 and a playoff with the US.

If you want to win big you need to take chances, it doesn't happen by playing safe, not with our line up. I think this is true both on the court and in off the court strategy.

I'd expect the same from any tournament with a switched on coaching staff at any level of competition.

Clearly every game is big from here on but at least with this strategy a pathway has opened up that could potentially lead to a semifinal. That said Turkey will be very difficult as would defeating Lithuania twice in a week.

Reply #492525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL can survive without funding. There are obvious government agendas to promote the game over others, is it really up to the government to decide this?
Basketball fans are tax payers too!

Reply #492532 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

It's not government funding! It's tax payers funding. Government has $0, it's our $$$ being spent by the government

Reply #492562 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

^it's going to be spent either way so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make

Reply #492564 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

As basketball fans I'm sure we'd rather that money go into hoops than track and field for example

Reply #492566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was equally shared I would have no problem. but it isn't.

Reply #492570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this has all been raked over and everyone has more or less moved on ... but I think it's important to distinguish between resting key players and deliberately throwing the game. I don't think it's clear that the players who were playing were tanking per the Coach's instructions. Did they treat the Angola game as a win-at-all-costs game? Of course not. That was clear, (and completely justifiable), when Lemanis decided to bench Ingles, Dellavedova, Baynes and Andersen.

But did the players who did play simply follow through on instructions to lose? I'm not so sure. People are pointing to defensive lapses in the second half. I'd look at some of the players involved:

Jawai, I think it's fair to say, isn't in peak physical condition and on top of that he was playing big minutes for the first time in a long time.

Exum, too, has shown that he doesn't yet have the conditioning and stamina to defend at a high intensity when playing extended minutes.

And Goulding has never been a great defender and is prone to lapses.

Some have also pointed to some of the unstructured offence as proof of tanking, such as the quick pull-ups by guys like Motum and Goulding. Well obviously Goulding doesn't need to be asked twice to put up a shot, and Motum, while capable of being a crafty-efficient player, has been known to have a quick-trigger sometimes.

The whole notion of engineering a loss is also fairly dismissive of Angola as a basketball nation, which remember came close to beating Slovenia the game before.

While this was clearly not the Boomers' finest hour, the allegation that they were playing to lose is a significant one, even if it was justified through the foresight of avoiding the USA in the Q/F.

Reply #492615 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

Well said anon #492615

Reply #492621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree

Reply #492640 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

At the time I wasn't happy about losing to Angola, never really happy about the Boomers losing any game to any opposition really.

Now, in hindsight and after our gutting loss to Turkey I am a little more disappointed at how we treated the Angola game.

It is not an easy thing to do, to turn form on and off, a winning mentality and a winning attitude is just that, even at international level you run a risk of falling on your sword if you tamper with such things.

I only say this because if we want to be among the best in the world we need to play to win and not worry about who we play, rather how we play!

Yes, we can now say we needed Patty and Bogey etc... But it is the attitude we take with us to develop a winning culture that we need to gain respect on the world stage.

Bad luck today boys, I am sure we will regroup!

Reply #492698 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - a couple of years ago, the Australian Sports Commission told sports that future funding would be linked to medals at significant international competitions, in the current Olympic cycle. I and others were given this this message from the CEO of a national sporting body at a national planning meeting for that sport.

I expect Men's basketball received the same message.

Reply #492735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754