Goulding
Ingles
Broekhoff
Bairstow
Simmons
Motum
Baynes
Bogut
Maker or Humphries (for bench development)

Nice mix of young blood and veterans.

Topic #35369 | Report this topic

bootleg  
Years ago

really like that team, but i would probably put outback shaq in instead of one of Maker or Humphries just because Bogut is so injury prone.

Reply #492917 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

hoping of course he is in better shape

Reply #492918 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forget about Maker

Reply #492920 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Humphries is gonna be one hell of a player. Everyone is so excited on Ben "social media" Simmons but watch out for Isaac (No not the mod Isaac, although he is quite scary) his already young and watching back on his 41 point game against a talented defence just brings chills. I reckon he will be a lottery pick come his draft!

Reply #492922 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Delly Exum
Mills Broekhoff Goulding
Ingles Simmons
Motum Bairstow
Bogut Baynes

Only 11, 12th spot could go to Newley, Jawai (if he comes in with a body fat of 20% or less) or someone else.

Reply #492931 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

To be honest Lance, i think this has been Brads last big dance. He is no longer at the level that we need him at. By 2016 there will be players that can do what he can do and more! Jawai would be a huge outside chance, he is a great rebounder and spaces the floor well but apart from that he is a huge liability!

Reply #492934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will be playing for Canada. Hopefully humphries dunks on him.

Reply #492939 | Report this post

dann37  
Years ago

Hope that im wrong but i dont think Bogut will ever again play for us cuz of his injuries

Reply #492946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is it confirmed that Maker will play for Canada?

Reply #492947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not confirmed but how can blame him not wanting to represent a country where African immigrants are hated

Reply #492954 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

looking at some of the above line ups i love how diverse their talents are.

Reply #492959 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Baynes Bogut Jawai
Bairstow Motum
Broekhoff Simmons
Mills Ingles Goulding
Delly Exum

Reply #492960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hope that im wrong but i dont think Bogut will ever again play for us cuz of his injuries
Odd comment from Slovenia...

Reply #492968 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

We have some great prospects coming through, and the temptation is going to be to rush them. Very, very few 18yo big men, can come in and mix it up with 10+ year pros (which is how old Humphries will be in Rio). Especially with big men you don't want to bring them on too quickly because their size makes them more injury prone. I'd far rather Humphries stays healthy and plays for the Boomers for a decade from 22-32, than risk him more than is wise as a teenager.

Reply #492974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will play. It will be the last chance for Mills, Delly, Baynes and him to team up before they are over the hill age wise. With that core 4 and some development from the likes of Exum and Bairstow, we could medal.

Reply #492981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills should start at pg because you know his going to push the ball. delly more poised and better as a defensive guard.

mills 6'0/delly 6'4/exum 6'6
broekhoff 6'7/goulding 6'4
ingles 6'8/newley 6'7/simmons 6'9
baynes 6'10/bairstow 6'10 or motum 6'10
bogut 7'0/ogilvy 6'11 or maric 6'11 or neville 7'2

mills and exum playing the 1 or 2
ingles and newley playing the 2 or 3
simmons playing the 3 or 4
baynes playing the 4 or 5

ogilvy is the most well rounded centre (offensive, defensive, rebounding, block shots, fg and ft%)
maric is a brick, super strong but limited on both ends of the floor.
neville is pretty well rounded but doesnt accumulate as many stats as you would like. can step out and shoot the mid range also.

Reply #492982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Bogut will play. It will be the last chance for Mills, Delly, Baynes and him to team up before they are over the hill age wise."

At the 2019 WC Bogut will be past it, but Delly will be 29, Mills 31 and Baynes 32, so they all a very good chance to still be going and the two guards will probably still be in their prime.

Reply #492983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that people are putting Exum/Simmons so far back in the rotation. After two NBA seasons i expect Exum to be much improved and according to scouts Simmons is NBA ready now.

I posted it in a previous thread but mine -

Bogut/Baynes
Bairstow/Motum/Maker
Ingles/Simmons/Broekhoff
Mills/Goulding
Exum/Delly

You could also replace Broekhoff/Goulding with Adel/Bolden but it's a bit wait and see with then still.

Reply #492985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing devil's advocate here but bear in mind the possibility of injury to one or more of our key players. Especially if a lot of our squad is in the NBA playing a 82-100+ game season.

Mills had his most involved and extended NBA season to date and ended up for the first time in his career missing a major international tournament.

Reply #493087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it strange that we including players in what is meant to be the best players available to play for Australia that cannot complete yet at this level.

Exum should not have been in the World cup team, in 2 years he maybe ready to play at Olympics. Maker and Simmons have yet to play against Men either and we include them in every team discussion.

Our Teams lack depth because we fill the 8-12 spots with players that are unproven or have not played against men. Playing in high school is a lot different than playing in the World cup or Olympics.

Reply #493088 | Report this post

Vodka43  
Years ago

You think Simmons is NBA ready now - WOW
He is a talented KID with unbelievable POTENTIAL.

Adel/Bolden for Broekhoff - WOWWWW
Broekhoff just played his first major tournament and was one of our best contributors and shot the 3 at over 60pct while playing solid defence. At 23yrs old and just about to embark on his second season in arguably the toughest league in Europe.

Take a deep breath

Reply #493097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should not be taking players to World Cup or Olympics to blood them for the future. If they are good and putting in the performances they get picked. Shouldn't be on what they might be like in 4 years time.

Reply #493165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I find it strange that we including players in what is meant to be the best players available to play for Australia that cannot complete yet at this level.

Exum should not have been in the World cup team, in 2 years he maybe ready to play at Olympics. Maker and Simmons have yet to play against Men either and we include them in every team discussion.

Our Teams lack depth because we fill the 8-12 spots with players that are unproven or have not played against men. Playing in high school is a lot different than playing in the World cup or Olympics."

We're looking down the road two years from now. It's all guess work basically. After two years in the NBA playing against the best and going through strength conditioning you'd expect Exum to be a totally different, improved and matured player. Likewise. Simmons will be 19 and ready to head into the draft as a likely number 1 pick. With two years of further development he should be a monster by then.

"You think Simmons is NBA ready now - WOW
He is a talented KID with unbelievable POTENTIAL.

Adel/Bolden for Broekhoff - WOWWWW
Broekhoff just played his first major tournament and was one of our best contributors and shot the 3 at over 60pct while playing solid defence. At 23yrs old and just about to embark on his second season in arguably the toughest league in Europe.

Take a deep breath"

You need to read more carefully. First off, i said college scouts have said that he's NBA ready and i said you COULD replace them. Adel/Bolden have massive potential and if they're tearing it up at college it's not out of the question that one of them would get a roster spot.

And Broekhoff shot it well from 3...and that's really all he did. Make him put it on the floor and he's a turnover waiting to happen.

Reply #493167 | Report this post

Vodka43  
Years ago

Scout needs to take a deep breath then and you need to filter what you read.

Broekhoff had 4 turnovers in 6 games. Interesting appraisal.

Reply #493275 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"At 23yrs old and just about to embark on his second season in arguably the toughest league in Europe."

I'd like to hear you make that argument Vodka! But you speak some good sense otherwise.

Reply #493277 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm intrigued out of Brock Motum and Cam Bairstow as to just who will step up and demand more minutes and the starting PF role.

Good luck to both and I hope that remains a headache for Lemanis for years to come

Reply #493279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about gibbo? He will be 40, that's as good australia will be! Don't understand that if u play nbl u can't play for the boomers bar the ass licker in gibbo. May be that a few nbl player's would have done better than what the other guyz did.

Reply #493444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Scout needs to take a deep breath then and you need to filter what you read.

Broekhoff had 4 turnovers in 6 games. Interesting appraisal."

He's a great three point shooter but other than that he doesn't offer much. If a defense covered him and didn't give him open looks he's useless as a few games proved. His ball handling isn't great and when he puts it on the floor he really can't do much.

"How about gibbo? He will be 40, that's as good australia will be! Don't understand that if u play nbl u can't play for the boomers bar the ass licker in gibbo. May be that a few nbl player's would have done better than what the other guyz did."

From now on the Boomers should be a Europe/NBA players only affair. We need the best players available and the NBL isn't a fantastic league.

Reply #493452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"From now on the Boomers should be a Europe/NBA players only affair. We need the best players available and the NBL isn't a fantastic league."

that's why there's a selection process buddy..

individuals are trialled not leagues! a good player is a good player imo.

can coaches get it wrong? of course! but the whole phase is subjective anyway everyone has their own opinions on players..

Reply #493465 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Those pointing out Broekhoff's deficiencies as a reason to prove that he is expendable don't understand the purpose of a role player. Broekhoff was excellent in his role. In international ball, a quality shooter is extremely valuable, especially one that is a 201cm swingman who can play some defense. He was probably Lemanis's greatest success story to come from the World Cup.

As high a potential as Simmons has, and as multi-talented and rounded as his game is, Broekhoff was no doubt far more valuable a selection for this World Cup. Don't just focus on athleticism, and don't underestimate the value of a highly skilled shooter.

Reply #493517 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Some real stupidity going on here. No one played their role better than Broekhoff did, we have needed a spot up shooter for YEARS... we finally have one and you want to find issues?

Far as I am concerned, you can book Broekhoffs tickets to Rio.

Reply #493602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754