HO
Years ago

FIBA launch action against Boomers over Angola game

There you go...

The on-court behaviour displayed by Australia in that game generated huge disappointment by basketball fans and experts. It is widely suspected that Australia lost that game in order to avoid having to face the reigning world champions USA until the Semi-Finals.

Basketball Australia has an opportunity to state its case before FIBA decides whether and to what extent disciplinary sanctions shall be imposed.

Link to FIBA site

Topic #35372 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian national basketball team is bunch of unfair cowards.

Reply #492963 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This is ridiculous. If they are going to discipline AUS for this then they will have to do the same to every team which has tanked in the past.

Reply #492964 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Lose a battle to win a war. I'm fine with. Mission is to finish as high as possible. And FIBA on a high horse? With their standard of refs? Yeah.

Reply #492965 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks for whoever cleaned up my post (Isaac?) - way beyond my skills...

Reply #492966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No worries HO. Thanks for posting it - likely to be quite the talking point yet again.

Reply #492967 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I mean it makes sense that such an unAustralian outrage is handled in such a fashion.

As a country we should be suspended from FIBA and forced to surrender all our basketballs and any spherical object that could be used as a basketball.

honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if Putin invaded tomorrow - it would serve us right....

Sweet baby Jesus protect us from the hyperbolic outrage of internet heavy breathers....

Reply #492970 | Report this post

dann37  
Years ago

In the end we gonna get what we deserve... Ppl sayin that other teams tanked in past - tell me one game plz where teams tanked to avoid someone ?

Reply #492972 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

We should be disciplined for poor acting.

Hope we get punished, it was a weak act.

Reply #492973 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Or perhaps the problem is that the cross over of finals can be predetermined (to an extent) and even if teams play to win but lose, the perception will always be that they tanked.

I wonder if the answer may be for the groups crossing over for finals are not announced and the groups are then selected by ballot just before the round of sixteen matches?

Reply #492977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and tanking really paid off for them

Reply #492978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a bit obvious though as he sat most of his normal starters off for a big part of that game including the end and let exum run point for most of it, he didn't even look like making a sub. So you can see why people would be thinking this even if it's not true.

Reply #492979 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Resting is fine....I think it was the solo drive uncontested lay ups past 2 Aussies that might of given it away.

Reply #492980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In the end we gonna get what we deserve... Ppl sayin that other teams tanked in past - tell me one game plz where teams tanked to avoid someone ?"

Spain vs Brazil in the last Olympics and Slovenia (oh the irony) vs Finland in the last Eurobasket.

Reply #492984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Slovenia tanked against Finnland really? hahaha Yes sure they tanked cuz they wanted to play against France ? mwhahah

Reply #492987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Slovenia would win last year against Finland, they would still finish second and face France, so yeah they did not tank lol

Reply #492988 | Report this post

dann37  
Years ago

As i thought so, u havent found any real example of tanking. I watched that game Spain vs Brazil and it was no where near what boomers did against Ang, dont believe they tanked. Slo - Fin game was totaly irrelevant and did not decide about anything as far as i recall. Boomers sang anthem with tanking allready in mind and tried to act like they give a s.hit about wining the game during the game and even lied after the game but were caught in act in the end by poor acting.

Reply #492989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fin/Slo example was one i'd only heard of, not seen but Spain/Brazil was definitely tanking...come on!

The winner would play the U.S and Spain deliberately lost so that wouldn't happen. It's common knowledge in the basketball community.

Reply #492990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were up by 10 in the fourth quarter and then rested their stars for the rest of the match to lose by 6 but no...they definitely didn't tank lol. It may not of been as blatant as Australia's but it was tanking non the less.

Reply #492991 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

if coming 2nd in the group and facing america wasnt so bad , slovenia wouldnt have been so cut up about it.

fiba , fix your freakin format or stfu.

Reply #492992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, their format suck. I dont know why is FIBA doing this now, Australia already lost, I guess they need money.

Reply #492993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain and the USA have been on opposite qualifying sides the last 4, yes the LAST 4 major campaigns (Olympics and WC's). A coincidence that FIBA wants the two to meet in the final? 2 out of 3 it happened 2008/2012 and only didn't in 2010 because Turkey made the final in its home country. That in itself is rigged. FIBA AND FIFA = Same .... different smell.

Reply #492994 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Maybe the teams should STFU and try and actually beat USA.

Reply #492995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only team who can beat USA is Spain, i think :D

Reply #492996 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The criticism of the structure, or the stupid comment about FIBA's refs, is a distraction.

Unfortunately so is the ongoing commentary about previous teams at previous competitions. FIBA I understand is quite a different political animal now with more power than previously.

Did Australia do everything within its power to win the game? If it named Baynes and Ingles on the scoresheet, then it declared them fit and ready to play. Them not playing was telling.

That it might have backfired is completely irrelevant.

With match fixing now a much heightened issue, FIBA simply had to act.

Reply #492998 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I thought it wasn't a good look then and I still think it isn't a good look now, but FIBA if they make a bigger deal of this than it has already been will turn a farce into a circus.

Does basketball need this type of hype? Especially down here...

At the time I thought we made a mistake by taking this road, now we have to ride the bumps, shame really as the players on this team deserved better than this.

What we lacked is leadership and confidence, now our courage is also being questioned, how sad!

Reply #492999 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Maybe FIBA are asking for a please explain so they can see how they can improve the tournament in the future?

Reply #493002 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Would Lemanis take the fall on this?

Reply #493003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Andrew Bogut posted this via twitter/facebook 6 hrs ago

"So u can naturalize a plyer who has nver stepped foot in a country, but you cant rest players in a game 2 better a draw 4 youself? Ok @fiba"

Who's the player he's talking about? Maker?? or just a general comment re naturalising?

Reply #493004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesnt matter if they rested players, it matters how they played

Reply #493006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dann37 - and you were in the minds of Boomers players as they sang the anthem. You've spoken to them and have inside knowledge knowing exactly what they were thinking??? Yeh right, idiot!

Reply #493007 | Report this post

Boomerz  
Years ago

Anon 493004 I believe he was referring to Andray Blatche who played for the Philippines despite not having a drop of Filo blood or really stepped in the country other than the 1 week tours the NBA players take down there.

Also a joke that Blatche isn't allowed to play in the Asian champs but FiBA allows him to play in the World Cup. Should be a uniform set of rules.

Reply #493008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's talking about the Philippines who naturalized Andre Blatche, without him ever stepping for in their country.

Reply #493011 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA are a joke.

I have no problem with them investigating the Boomers and what they appeared to do. However to come our and use the language that they have is blatantly accusatory - what ever happened to being innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Euro teams have been taking for years at various degrees. My advice;

Fix the system. You can't discipline a team that played to the system. Fix the system and fix the problem.

Reply #493012 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

It was all David Andersen's idea ....life time ban.

Reply #493017 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

I accept that punishment ^

Reply #493018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It doesnt matter if they rested players, it matters how they played
Exactly.

Reply #493022 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

So basically Australia isn't as experienced as other (European) teams in losing intentionally... so we should be punished for showing what they do for what it is?

I disagree with you Ho, the structure is not a distraction, it is the root cause of the problem. The format rewards gamesmanship. Which sucks, because everyone should be rewarded for winning. FIBA have a problem, but would rather have a scapegoat.

Reply #493024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should punish Slovenia for their poor acting and flopping. And maybe their incompetent umpires for falling for such poor acting!

Reply #493026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that makes me feel more ashamed of being Australian than the Boomers horrible 'performance' against Angola, is the pathetic attempts at justifying it on this forum.

The following are totally irrelevant in this conversation:
1) The assertion that other teams have tanked in the past
2) the format of the tournament
3) the organisational competence of FIBA

The only thing that is relevant is if we actively tried to lose and therefor unfairly influence the outcome of the game.

While I have no conclusive proof and I am hoping that none of the coaching staff were stupid enough to suggest they should lose, the general consensus when provided with what facts we have is that Australia made little attempt to win the game.

Surely the objective of this national team (and any sporting team) is to try your hardest to improve and win every game possible. If our objective was anything other than this (which it clearly was) then we were doomed from the start.

How many chances do you get to play the best team in the world? The biggest failure of this Boomer campaign is not that we didn't get a medal but that we didn't get the chance to play and compare ourselves with the best in the world.

The most entertaining games I have ever seen was the pride of our national team firing up to try and beat the USA. Watching Heal chest bump Barkley, not cower away at the prospect of facing them. We should care less about a damn medal that will be forgotten long before the effort we gave on the court will.

There should be an investigation and if found guilty we should be banned from international competition for a set duration.

We shouldn't need any rules, tournament format or trial to tell us not trying is wrong. It's built into our heritage and our national conscience (or so I was always led to believe) and it makes me sick that this happened. It turns something as pure and black and white as sport into politics and that is the very sad.

The ironic consensuses:
We could have won the entire group and ended up playing New Zealand to progress if we just tried to win.

Reply #493027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at Bogut's grammar

Reply #493029 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The NBA gets pissed off when the Spurs blatantly rest players.

A team can manage their roster and playing time however they want. In this case, the Angola game got to rest our players and give game time to other players who hadn't received much before. We are a young side which was probably never going to win a medal anyway and we want to develop the team together, it's good to give everyone minutes, even if that means losing. In this scenario, it worked that taking the "risk" of losing against Angola was favourable - that's FIBA's fault for crap formatting.

Reply #493030 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well said Anonymous #493027

I agree that blaming the system or using tu quoque arguments to justify tanking is pathetic & it will be interesting to see how BA & team officials defend the allegation.

As to whether they tanked, if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck...

Reply #493031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well maybe they should let Australia and Angola play off again, see what happens then lol shut them all up one way or another.

Reply #493033 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

heard it on radio news, last nite..will get a lotta media..

jawai, who at 142kgs, was gone,was gassed, left on...

Reply #493036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laying down, tanking, what ever you call it for what ever reason is the lowest of lows in any sport.
The Boomers should hang their heads in shame and Lemanis even though he has publicly denied it should be sacked if found out to be true. Another low in the Boomers history.
I don't care who every has supposedly done it before. Winning a medal is more important than playing with honesty and integrity is it?
Most posters here sound like the win at all cost ugly parents that we all hate and despise.

Reply #493038 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jawai needed the fitness anyway, might shed a few kilos and save his life

Reply #493043 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with resting players and losing as a result of not having your best players on the floor . However I think there is a problem if The coaching staff gave specific instructions to not play defense or told players to lose the game after being 15 points up.

Reply #493044 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the Boomers were tanking against a pretty horrible Angola team, which made it a lot harder to disguise.

The problem was that the Boomers went up by something like 15 in the 2nd.

They then had to allow Angola back into the game with that massive 3rd/4th quarter run.

Reply #493046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont blame the player, blame the Game!!

Reply #493047 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

The big ? Was why no time outs to stop the scoring runs? I think the biggest was 18pts..

Reply #493054 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Lemanis did not opt to use a timeout, even though his team blew a double-digit lead and made zero stops while conceding 18 Angola points on just eight possessions. By comparison, Angola had managed only 12 points in the entire second quarter.

Reply #493056 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Let's stick with the facts and not get moral on all this as nobody, myself included, really likes to see their country lose.

Had Australia already qualified for the R16: Yes
Could Australia finish 1st in Group: No
If Australia won vs Angola, was it more likely to finish 2nd than 3rd: Yes
By losing, was Australia guaranteed to finish 3rd: No
For whoever finished 1st and 3rd, would they avoid USA until SF's: Yes
Was it viewed by all teams as being more favourable to finish 1st or 3rd in Group: Yes
Was Australia's final placing dictated by another game: Yes
Did Australia lose a game vs Angola: Yes
Did Australia rest its best players: Yes
Did Australia deliberately set out to lose the game: Don't know
Did Lithuania beat Slovenia: Yes
Was the Lithuania vs Slovenia game played after Australia vs Angola: Yes
Did Australia finish 3rd: Yes

In summary, the only unknown is whether Australia was in fact under instruction to deliberately lose the game.

The competition format meant that Australia better positioned themselves to avoid the USA until as late in the tournament as possible. their final position still required Lithuania to defeat Slovenia which they ultimately did.

Is anyone investigating how Slovenia only scored 2 final quarter points vs Lithuania in their final game to lose? That's how silly this whole thing is.

Reply #493057 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The last 3 minutes of that game when it was still in the balance, and even Angola's reaction when they won says everything.

But there really is no solution, except do what the AFL does and put the top 2 teams straight to the semis if they win the first game of the finals.

Reply #493058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian team had a responsibility to the nation to finish as high a possible and by losing to Angola it made that task harder as Turkey is far better opponent than the other team they would have played if they be Angola.

We opted to play a silver medalist next instead of an also ran.

They would have at least made the final 8 even if that meant playing the USA.

Extremely arrogant of Australia to think they can lose to Angola and then make top 4. I am sure this would have been motivation for the Turks.

It was a dumb gamble that backfired spectacularly.

Reply #493069 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

LC wins.

Reply #493073 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Agreed, LC wins.

I'm interested to find out exactly how FIBA intend to prove that Australia violated the code of ethics, or if proof is even a requirement for sanction and condemnation (I suspect it won't be). Bring on the thought police!

Reply #493074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC wins what? The still in denial award?

The only issue is that we tried to lose a game. I don't care what other teams did, only what we did. You can't control the actions of others, only your own.

History will show that we lost to Angola. Again. It won't show we tried to take a convoluted path to the final 4.

Who wouldn't of wanted to see the Boomers play the US anyway? Everything about this stinks.

Reply #493077 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@LC while those facts are not disputed I can't help but worry because basketball officials have a different eye on the game than others in sports less likely to come down hard on things they see as bringing the game into disrepute.

Reading what we have so far, before the BA reply, our problems are not based on facts alone:

'The on-court behaviour displayed by Australia in that game generated huge disappointment by basketball fans and experts. It is widely suspected that Australia lost that game in order to avoid having to face the reigning world champions USA until the Semi-Finals.'

So they are keying in on the following:

1. On-court behaviour. We will have to answer this on how we acted and what the cameras picked up on, there is no where to hide these days.

2. Huge disappointment. Impacts on the public and so-called experts (media hype if you will) relates to percpetion and the reputation of the sport.

3. Widely suspected we lost on purpose, well even your facts support this as a highly probable scenario, how can we seriously deny it.

Just presenting what I see as their potential claims against us, playing devil's advocate...

I don't see it as fixing the game, rather throwing it but who knows how FIBA will percieve it?

Reply #493080 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bear, totally with you on where you are coming from. It was not a great look by Australia and in turn not a great look on FIBA.

Having said that, I would love to know what rules/codes Australia broke for FIBA to take such inflammatory action? There is nothing in their statement that clearly outlines what Australia breached?

In future, at what point does FIBA need to step in and investigate game results when their own system that they put in place advocates such behaviour morally right or not?

Reply #493081 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, almost every sport has a condition of play that expects highest effort, will to win etc etc. Its like a grandfather clause for best behaviour.

The system of play, all faults accepted btw, is an irrelevance in this context. I will be very surprised if there is not a catch all clause.

I thought their release was weird as well, but the telling comment is that about "experts".

Reply #493092 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Australia did such a piss poor job of hiding it compared to past tank-jobs from other nations, which is why this has caused such a furore, possibly catalysed by the tanking scandals in the AFL locally and the outcry in the USA to curb tanking in the NBA. They made the mistake of ever playing Delly in this one. They should have played guys out of position. They should have reduce their rotation to 6 or 7 guys MAX. That's how you tank.

I mean, geez, to think that we can't even tank properly is pretty embarassing...

The gap in quality between Angola and Australia made it harder to hide as well. If Lithuania tanked against Slovenia had we beaten them, for example, it would have been much easier to conceal because both are quality teams.

Similarly, in the past when Spain threw the game against Brazil a few years back, although they were the superior team, it was not inconceivable that Brazil could beat them as an outside chance on a given day.

And everyone must have been in on it: Lemanis obviously for failing to call timeouts in a winnable game, and the players for intentionally turning the ball over, playing no D, and shooting stupid shots in the second half.

At the end of the day FIBA is responsible for having such a shitty tourney format, and Australia is responsible for taking a dive in such a transparent, pathetic manner. Australia wasted a golden opportunity to try out some weird, interesting lineups that would have served them well going forward through the tourney and into Rio, but instead, they just played a traditional 1-5 lineup and intentionally lost the game that way. We still haven't seen Lemanis go small ball with this team, which is goddamn insane when their whole M.O. is "get out and run".

But maybe it's a good thing in a larger sense: because Australia did such a piss poor job of hiding their intentions, it has brought this whole thing out into the open to the point where you would assume FIBA will do something about this going forward and alter their format.

Reply #493095 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I hope you're right Mick, but I expect that they would rather fry a minnow (and we are in terms of position in world basketball terms) than look in the mirror.

Reply #493103 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Someone should put together a video of James Harden's defence so the USA get investigated for tanking!!! :)

Reply #493104 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Again, I agree with Naph on his take.

Reply #493105 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I also think resting players is ok, but the obvious intentions of those on court is the issue.

The fact none of the players on court have probably ever tried to do this before is why it was so obvious and they stuffed it up so much.

I suspect they wanted to play the first half at full throtlle as preparation for the next round, but in hind sight, they shouldnt have built up such a big lead as the diffeence between 1st and 2nd half performance was too obvious.

They should have all got in foul trouble which would provide a half legitimate reason for not being able to defend hard at the end.

Reply #493108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://thunderousintentions.com/2012/08/07/2012-olympic-basketball-was-it-wrong-for-spain-to-tank-vs-brazil/

Reply #493118 | Report this post

brett  
Years ago

People saying things like its a disgrace and an embarrassment to our country! What a joke! What we did is so minor to the real problems with FIBA and the whole system. This sort of thing happens EVERY day in EVERY sport and you believe otherwise then you need to wipe the shit out of your eyes and wake up. To say that people are trying to deflect from the situation by bringing up what past teams have done or the structure is nonsensical. Of course these issues are going to be brought up when everyone is pointing the finger like Australia is the 1st team to try to manipulate the system for their own benefit. How is it possible for an NBA player to represent a country that they have no connection to at all and nothing is said or done but resting players and playing ordinary defence is cheating. FIBA needs to investigate FIBA as they are looking more and more like FIFA everyday.

Reply #493119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG Australia are such amateurs. They finally tank like all the other teams do but did it in such a blatant way that they are possibly the first side to be reprimanded. Oh and the morons lose in the next round anyway despite being favourites. At one point I thought Aus finally got street smart in world basketball but really are clueless still.

Reply #493123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I mean, geez, to think that we can't even tank properly is pretty embarassing..."

Exactly. bwahahahahaha

Reply #493125 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

The key for me is, did the team know prior to taking the court that they were going to lose. If the answer is yes then it is a disgrace, and an embarrassment, but moreso it is sad. If they intentionally tried to lose then it is a sad indictment on them and the society that tacitly endorses it. I believe they 'fixed' the result based primarily on their defence in the third quarter. I had no inkling they were intent on losing, I did realise they were resting players, until they, the players, appeared to 'give up, or stopped trying' on the defensive end.

It is monumentally corrupt to be able to 'guarantee' a result. Where does that slippery slide end. My hope is that if it was agreed prior to taking the court, that there were some dissenting voices, maybe Luke, maybe Doc, maybe a couple of the players said 'hey I don't know about this'. My take on it would be that Lemanis probably, by fault of position, made the call.....I just hope it wasn't met with silence by the others involved.

I for one am glad that FIBA is, at the very least, investigating it. One of the great disappointments for me is that whether others do it or not, Australia will be, from this tournament on, known as one of those teams that is willing to be deceitful, corrupt, and unethical.

Reply #493131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To use taxpayers money in part to do something so un-Australian does not sit well with me. Taxpayers money goes to high performance teams and athletes to achieve their best. (and by teams I mean coaches etc). There is no disgrace in getting beaten by the USA. There is disgrace in not performing at your best on the day because you have raised the white flag saying we don't want to play someone because we can't beat them. So much for the taxpayers funded battlers spirit!!

Reply #493139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think twitter has a character limit LOLing fool

Reply #493143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze labelled FIBA's investigation into Australia's controversial World Cup loss to Angola a waste of time, but believes if the Boomers are guilty of tanking, "people should be fired".
"It is (a waste of time)," Gaze said on SEN radio.

"It's not dealing with the facts.

"I will be gutted and there should be people fired if they intentionally tanked. I stand by that.

"But I see this as player management, not as tanking.

"And now that we've lost, everyone's wants to go 'ah, the karma bus hit you'.

"If they had won that game against Turkey, we wouldn't even be talking about this."
FIBA probe into Boomers' alleged tanking a waste of time, according to Andrew Gaze

Reply #493145 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'm sorry, but can anyone explain the problem with the system? The two top placed teams from groups C and D are still in the tournament, the team that finished second in D (Slovenia) is playing the top team from group C (USA) and vice versa with Turkey and Lith. That would indicate a pretty fair system to me; you can't have the top ranked teams from each group playing each other until the final four. If the problem is the original seeding and how the groups themselves were composed, sure, but this whole 'the system's broke' stuff didn't seem to have much traction until it looked like we were going to have to face the US earlier than we hoped.

And yeah, playing the US before the final four sucks and it all but guarantees missing out on a medal, but rather than blame FIBA, maybe we should be looking at our team and questioning the pathetic defensive showing against Slovenia, which in hindsight was the only match during the group stage where we were out classed. We win that game, we finish top and play NZ instead of Turkey and we'd still be in the hunt.

As for the tanking, it's going to be impossible to prove anything - if the general attitude was just one of not caring, then you can't say 'tank!', but we did make it pretty bloody obvious that we weren't too concerned with playing too hard against Angola.

Reply #493148 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

FWIW.

I tuned in at about 5 min to go in game - I'd assumed Australia would comfortably win so I didn't bother watching the game from the start.

It took about 2 Australian possessions for it to become completely obvious to me that they were trying to lose. Not just "resting starters" - actively avoiding any attempts to win the game.

The Boomers were only down by a couple of points with light years left on the clock (in basketball terms) yet they were making absolutely no attempt to come back to win the game.

I turned the game off with about 2 minutes left on the clock because my thought was literally "I'm not wasting my time watching a game they are trying to lose".

If it's that obvious to a viewer tuning in with 5 min left in the game, I'd say more knowledgeable people than I who watched from the start could see it too.

Reply #493152 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, it did create one hell of a highlight video for that young bloke (can't recall his name) for Angola, who was having a dunkfest at our expense...

Man, we made him look sooooo goooood!

Reply #493153 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #493154 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The most ironic thing about this for me is that this is the weakest USA team in a decade and we would have actually probably beat them a couple of times out of ten.

Reply #493171 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

should've tanked the oceania champs

but no flex zone

Reply #493173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how the 'no one has tanked before' people disappeared when i mentioned the Spain/Brazil game...

Reply #493178 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Don't get carried away. I think everyone has acknowledged tanking has happened before. Thats been a pretty common sentiment.

Reply #493183 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Anon ^^^^^^^^ To use taxpayers money in part to do something so un-Australian does not sit well with me" - What's your take on how the taxpayer dollars are spent on all sorts of 'un-australian' things every day and have been since forever?

Reply #493189 | Report this post

There is nothing wrong with the system.

The best teams make it through to the next round from each division. The best 2 teams will make the final and the best team will win.

We were not good enough regardless of who we played.

Australia should be banned from all international competition for the next 4 years to send a message to all teams.

They are all guilty, players and coaches and if there is no reprimand internally then BA is as corrupt as any of the organisations some on this forum are pointing their fingers at.

I really hope FIBA persist and have the balls to go through with this.

Reply #493192 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

It's completely "un-Australian" to screw with the rules to try and improve your chances!!!

We don't do things like that, especially in our national religion, SPORTS!

That'd be like that country that bowled underarm in cricket to win a game, or that country that used a winged keel to win one of the oldest trophies in the world.

Reply #493193 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

@Mick

Incorrect.

Reply #493214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys have some high opinions about the Boomers. They're just shit plain and simple, watch the Turkey game to confim it if you like.

Reply #493219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it hilarious that FIBA suddenly have some moral and ethical standards. Da Fuq?

They're probably upset that they weren't invited to be part of the ruse, and non of their pockets were lined with dirty money.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/2/1/5367564/fiba-world-cup-2014-canada-finland-basketball-angry-birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA47Y1RzJqk#t=149

You can take the video anyway you like, I didn't see the whole game but it's pretty suss imo.

Having said that, Australia fucked up hard.

Reply #493228 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well, the refs missed that sideline call badly, and got two out of bounds wrong. All those fouls they highlighted aren't unusual calls in international basketball, sadly in some cases.

Reply #493235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By losing, was Australia guaranteed to finish 3rd: No
Was Australia's final placing dictated by another game: Yes (you have to add ONLY IF THEY WIN)

@LC
Your facts and assumptions are somewhat wrong. I hate when people are listing facts when their knowledge is full of holes like Swiss cheese.

Because Australia was actually guaranteed to finish 3rd with a loss against Angola. There is absolutely no other possible scenario. You see Australia beat Lithuania by 7 and they lost to Slovenia by 10 points. Maybe you don't know this but there is a rule that if two or more teams end up with the same amount of wins, only games between those teams are relevant. You can see this rule being applied in group C where Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Ukraine ended up with same amount of points. Even throw Dominican Republic had the worst PF/PA of -39 they finished in 3rd position. On the other hand Ukraine had the best PF/PA of those three teams (-25) and jet they finished only 5th. That is because all three teams had 1 win and 1 defeat among themselves. But because Dominican Republic had PF/PA of +3 (-10 vs Ukraine and +13 vs New Zealand) they finished 3rd. New Zealand was 4th with PF/PA of -1 (-13 vs Dominican Republic and +12 vs Ukraine) and Ukraine was therefore 5th with PF/PA of -2 (+10 vs Dominican Republic and -12 vs New Zealand).

So let me brake this for you... before the last round of group matches Slovenia had beaten Australia by 10 points and Australia had beaten Lithuania by 7 points. Right?

Scenario 1 (Australia loses, Lithuania wins)
1. Lithuania 9 pts (PA/PF +3)
2. Slovenia 9 pts (PA/PF -3)
3. Australia 8 pts

Scenario 2 (Australia loses, Slovenia wins)
1. Slovenia 10 pts
2. Lithuania 9 pts
3. Australia 8 pts

Scenario 3 (Australia wins, Lithuania wins by 3 points or less)
1. Slovenia 9 Pts PF/PA +7 (depending on a result it might be also +8 or +9, but it doesn't change the final order)
2. Australia 9 Pts PF/PA -3 (-10 vs Slovenia and +7 vs Lithuania)
3. Lithuania 9 Pts PF/PA -4 (depending on a result it might be also -5 or -6, but it doesn't change the final order)

Scenario 4 (Australia wins, Lithuania wins by 4 points and scores more than 88 points vs Slovenia)
1. Slovenia 9 Pts PF/PA +6
2. Lithuania 9 Pts PF/PA -3 (-7 vs Australia and + 4 vs Slovenia)
3. Australia 9 Pts PF/PA -3 (-10 vs Slovenia and +7 vs Lithuania)

Scenario 5 (Australia wins, Lithuania wins by 4 points and scores less than 87 points vs Slovenia)
1. Slovenia 9 Pts PF/PA +6
2. Australia 9 Pts PF/PA -3 (-10 vs Slovenia and +7 vs Lithuania)
3. Lithuania 9 Pts PF/PA -3 (-7 vs Australia and + 4 vs Slovenia)

Scenario 6 (Australia wins, Lithuania wins by 5 to 12 points)
Only placing of Slovenia and Lithuania is changed by this results, Australia is 3rd.

Scenario 7 (Australia wins, Lithuania wins by 13 points or more)
Lithuania is 1st, only placing of Slovenia and Australia is changed by this results.

As you can see there was no possible way for Australia to finish 1st and they were guaranteed to finish 3rd with a loss against Angola...

Reply #493257 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Scenario 2 (Australia loses, Slovenia wins)
1. Slovenia 10 pts
2. Lithuania 9 pts
3. Australia 8 pts"

This is wrong. Slovenia would have been 5-0 and clear on top. Lithuania and Australia would have been 3-2. Australia beat Lithuania, and therefore finish second. As you said: "if two or more teams end up with the same amount of wins, only games between those teams are relevant".

Reply #493260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes koberulz, you are right. Didn't see that.

But more importantly my point was that 1st place was out of reach for Boomers and they were guaranteed to finish 3rd with a loss against Angola...

Reply #493265 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is incorrect. If Slovenia beat Lithuania then Australia finished second, regardless of the result of the game against Angola.

Reply #493267 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'The most ironic thing about this for me is that this is the weakest USA team in a decade and we would have actually probably beat them a couple of times out of ten.'

You realise that they still have like 4 of the best 20 players on Earth, right?

Reply #493447 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754