Anonymous
Years ago

Nenad Vucinic steps down as Tall Blacks coach

Basketball New Zealand CEO Iain Potter told Radio Sport that Vucinic had indicated he was finished as Tall Blacks coach.

Vucinic has been involved with the Tall Blacks for 13 years, the last eight of them in charge.
Source

Be interesting too see who is the next Tall Blacks coach.

Topic #35374 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bit worried.

Vucinic was a stud coach. He grew on me.

We don't really have anyone local that is up to it IMO.

Time to poach Gordie and/or Beveridge ;)

Reply #493050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be honest it's gonna be Pero isn't it. They'll advertise the position say all the right things but at the end of the day it'll be Pero with Henare as assistant. I hope I'm wrong.

Reply #493072 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Judd Flavell is a better coach then Pero Cameron

just doesn't have the pulling power Pero has

sad news to hear , Vucinic did a sterling job

Reply #493142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yip i agree about Judd Flavell has one ANBL championships as assistant coach with the Breakers, one a NZNBL title with the Auckland Pirates.

Would think he would be a part of the Tall Blacks already especially having worked with a quite few of the current Tall Black players at the Breakers.

Reply #493195 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He is in charge of the Breakers Academy, probably enjoys what he is doing

Reply #493202 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

For me its Tab Baldwin, otherwise we look O/S.

Pero is IMO a horrible coach - his NZNBL records suggest that including the fact he wasn't re hired for the Saints job because he unprofessionally packed up and headed to Aus for a week without telling the Owner or keeping anyone informed.

Reply #493218 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I could see Henare with PC as his assistant or vice versa. Tab Baldwin could get the very most out of these young players coming through but not sure if he wants the job again.

If they signed Kenney McFadden Adams would be on board next week.

Sean Marks?

Reply #493220 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Mills's frustrations boiled over when the Pero Cameron-coached club coughed up a 14-point lead to lose in overtime to the Nelson Giants on Saturday."Obviously, I was absolutely gutted to be up 14 and lose," Mills said."You've got to make some monumental cock-ups in your coaching to lose that and they did. I'm extremely disappointed, they're two losses we shouldn't have had and obviously we need to look within ourselves to see what's wrong.Advertisement"There's obviously an issue with the way we're running the team for us to lose those games."

Cameron returned home to the Gold Coast but Mills has requested a "please explain"."I've asked for him to come back to me in the next 24 hours with what he wants to do to make it right, because it's definitely not good enough. To beat a team by 30 and then to lose to them, and then to get up 14 and lose again, tells you there's an issue. I've had a 'Come to Jesus' speech with him; he's got to sort it out."

Reply #493221 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

PC made the tournament team at Indy so someone at basketball NZ will think he is the messiah to the national program and will give him the job, after a few beers and a pie and a ton of patting each other on the back.

Reply #493223 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Should get Lemanis. At least he'd never have to worry about tanking and if we did require a tank job we have choked on decent leads so many times previously, Fiba would not raise any suspicions

Reply #493224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! I've heard Tab Baldwin may have some interest, don't know the veracity of that but I'd be happy to see him in charge again.

Reply #493225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yip Tab Baldwin for me has the pedigree and experience. Or look overseas. Let's be honest Pero's championship wins in the NZNBL were with a stacked saints team. Which doesn't tell us much. Add to that he was sacked by the saints for of court reasons thinks the Tall Blacks should stay away from him.

Reply #493233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure if it's correct but the guys on Double Dribble said the other night NZ lost every one of their WC warm up games?

Reply #493259 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Incorrect, NZ won a few of their prep games including a historic win in Belgrade over Serbia.

Reply #493280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ were 10-6 in their lead-up games.

Reply #493284 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Tab Baldwin has lost alot of money in NZ Basketball

but by far is the best coach when he is in the country

just as an advisor to the gilas team he helped mould them into what they are now

slightly successful but top 3 in asia

he would only come back on board if he had the $ for funding etc

but also if he had Boucher & possibly Marks or Dickel , Flavell .

Reply #493358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754