LC
Years ago

2014 NBL Blitz in Brisbane

The 2014 NBL Blitz gets underway in Brisbane in just over a week.

What are people's thoughts about the Blitz being in Brisbane considering there is no NBL team? Can it provide the inspiration needed to help get a successful NBL team up off the ground in the QLD capital?

Who will "blitz" everyone and take the pre-season crown?

Blitz to provide litmus test for Brisbane's NBL revival

Topic #35375 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO one wanted it and that's why the NBL are subsidising it in Brisbane.

Reply #493032 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I can see the concept of hosting it in Brisbane but I think you would draw bigger crowds from a host who has a team in the competition . I personally would be less interested in paying $20 to go watch a team I don't support than paying $60 for a tournament pass too atleast watch my tea play twice .

Would of loved to see Perth host it. We seem to miss out on everything here . I can't remember there ever being a Pre Season comp or an All Star have hosted in Perth . Guess it's not cost effective being located so far away from the rest of the comp.

Reply #493037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arena never available for an all star w/end for one. But i reckon perth will get behind anything, had nearl 2000 at the game against the sbl all-stars.

Reply #493045 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Perth chose to run its pre-season in Broome for a number of years bringing sides from Asia.

The Blitz suites showcasing the event on the road to get people interested. A Brisbane team back in NBL needs coin, therefore getting business interested at the blitz is a good expansion move.

Sixers in Darwin for pre-season certainly paid dividends for both parties.

Reply #493052 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

So far tickets have been selling well and hopefully a few sessions will sell out.

Reply #493053 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The NBL purposely do not hold pre-season or all-star events in perth because there is already a large fan base here.

While it still needs to grow, the idea seems to be to promote and grow the game in other needy areas before Perth gets anything.

Reply #493062 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

theyre playing it at auchenflower so there is nowhere for crowds to sit...

Reply #493079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are notoriously cheap when it comes to preseason it is always very limited so no way they bother with a Blitz.

Reply #493127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick there is space for 950 people per session...

Reply #493271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TOURNAMENT PASSES HAVE SOLD OUT!

Reply #493272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still individual session tickets available though

Reply #493273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe is calling for volunteers to assist with the Blitz. Find him on FB.

Reply #493293 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Should be a good tournament, and realistically Auchenflower is not a horrendous venue. Better to have 950 at or near capacity than twice that half empty. Plus dollar considerations would no doubt have impacted matters. The BCEC charges a mint and Chandler is too distant from the CBD, NAB is not horrible compromise.

Reply #494129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754