Leilani Mitchell – Sydney Uni Flames
Erin Phillips – Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
Belinda Snell – Bendigo Spirit
Penny Taylor – Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
Marianna Tolo – Bourges (France)

Topic #35389 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tessa Lavey over nat hurst what are they thinking thus is a joke right????

Reply #493329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Carla Francis and nat burton over babe Richards....... They will end up worse than the men at this rate

Reply #493330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gabe Richards , not babe haha

Reply #493331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Tessa Lavey the Dante Exum of women's basketball? How did she make this team?

So Depth chart would be?

PG - Phillips (5'8) / Mitchell (5'5) / Lavey (5'7)
SG - Jarry (6'2) / Snell (5'11)
SF - Taylor (6'0) / Allen (6'1)
PF - Francis (6'4) / Hodges (6'2)
C - Cambage (6'8) / Tolo (6'5) / Burton (6'4)

Solid team but will be interesting to see how they go without Jackson, Batkovic, O'Hea and Bishop.

Reply #493332 | Report this post

Grant  
Years ago

definitely questionable putting lavey in there. doesn't makes sense. especially over hurst and madgen who have way more experience

Reply #493333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand not taking Nat Hurst (31) due to age and looking at the future.

But surely Tess Madgen (24) and Katie-Rae Ebzery (24) are better than Tessa Lavey (21).

Reply #493335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Tessa Lavey the Dante Exum of women's basketball?."..... Only if you compare to how much they both get pushed into the limelight otherwise no way

"How did she make the team?"

That's the million dollars question it seems, how does a player who couldn't even get on the CRT for bendigo last season become an opal at the world games. Less than 6 mths later......crazy

But if you look at what has happened since Joyce took over Lavey has been in his eyesight at every single turn, brought in to replace juniors, off to Europe in the developing opals late last year, back to AIS to play SEABL

there are definitely better options right now with more experience. Hurst is a prime example

Reply #493340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Francis is a no brainer. she is dominating at the moment. Im still not sold on Burton. although she is undersized height wise internationally, she adds a much more physical approach to the game.

Reply #493344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the shafted O'Hea & Bishop was disgusting - they now need them to go anywhere near a medal with Jackson's injury.

Reply #493345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lavey pushes the ball more than hurst, is quicker than hurst, is a better defender than hurst and accumulates alot more assists than hurst. Trouble is she is a poor shooter compared to hurst and can lose her handle alot resulting in a bunch of turnovers, not to mention lack of experience at this level. But, she is a good alternative to mitchell who is slow, a poor defender but a descent shooter and a player that doesnt make alot of handling errors and can run the offense.

burton being there is an absolute outrage...
I guarantee you that the only reason burton got picked was because she is capable of playing both the 4 and 5 like jackson plays 4 and 5 on occasion.
big mistake in my opinion.

richards should have been chosen over her eventhough she is primarily a centre because francis can also play pf aswell as hodges. she was one of the best in the wnbl, the seabl and played extremely well against all wnba teams during the usa tour.

for me starting 5 and rotation:
mitchell 5'5 or phillips 5'8/lavey 5'7
allen 6'1/snell 5'11
taylor 6'1/jarry 6'1
francis 6'4/hodges 6'2/burton 6'4
cambage 6'8/tolo 6'5

phillips playing pg or sg
allen playing sg or sf
francis playing pf or c

with jackson, batkovic, bishop and ohea out.

I would have preferred a team along the lines of:
mitchell/phillips/lavey or wilson
allen/ebzery or cumming
taylor/kunek
francis/hodges
cambage/richards
1 of these ladies as another pf.
langford (hard worker on both ends)
mijovic(height/shooting from distance)
bunton (rebounds/strength)
ardossi (mid range shooting/strength)
not burton...

Reply #493347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you cant take out lavey and swap with ebzery or madgen because they are not capable ppoint guards. You could say swap lavey for hurst, wilson or mcully.

Reply #493348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Lavey and Burton have made a World Championship Team is an absolute Joke. To reward these players over proven players in the WNBL is unbelievable. Hurst, Madgen, Ebzery, Cummings, Richards,........

Reply #493349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isnt Ohea playing?

Reply #493351 | Report this post

Bball213  
Years ago

Lavey and Burton are great future prospects for Australia, however should definitely not be chosen for this tournament, at this early stage with their lack of experience. Obviously its always going to be someones first time but there are names who have experience, have shown capabilities far beyond these two and are more deserving of spots. Richards, madgen, hurst, cummings.

Reply #493352 | Report this post

Grant  
Years ago

O'hea has chosen to not take part in this years opals campaign as she wanted to focus on her wnba team and not train with opals. bit disrespectful if you ask me but her choice at the end of the day. it is a massive loss for the team.

Reply #493353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In joyces head, it was mostly going to be:

francis or burton at the 4(pf) spot
hodges at 4
jackson at 4 or 5(c)
cambage at 5
tolo or richards at 5

without jackson he couldnt cover that 4-5 position and so burton was the only other option as a 4-5 apart from francis which would end up looking like....

hodges at 4
francis at 4-5
cambage at 5
tolo at 5
richards at 5
which leaves you short a pf and an added c.

i would have just taken the chance on richards at pf (because she is only 6'3 - undersized centre) and had:

francis at 4
hodges at 4
richards at 4-5
cambage at 5
tolo at 5

Reply #493354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the first 3 teams we play are cuba, korea and belarus who are quite small teams. i think richards would have been a great centre to have in the group games.

Reply #493357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

International basketball is a whole lot different to Australian basketball . They don't pressure the PG and they seem to have some free passage down the floor. Madgen going out for Lavey is a nonsense. Madgen is the captain of her WNBL and has shown how solid she can be winning many games herself last season. It's a complete farce how decisions are made that are illogical. Where is these coaches credibility when they insist on this kind of nonsense.

Reply #493360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

snell can only do one thing, shoot the 3. waste of space.

Reply #493362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's strong word that Richards is injured which is why she wasn't selected.

Reply #493364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O'hea has to earn a living, opals don't get paid to play, so who can blame her, especially when demands were made re her attending training camps but not for others.

Lavey and burton may well be players of the future, but they are NOT up to this level right now and should not be going to this tournament over more experienced and talented players especially when this group is already so depleted with no Jackson, batkovic ,o'hea,kunek and bishop.

And who keeps putting ardossi in with this group , could you imagine the headlines lol, she wouldn't be frightened to say exactly what she thought of anything, which would not sit well with a coach like Brendan Joyce.

You can see why screen retired when she did.

Reply #493365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i reckon the usa squad will look something like this:

bird/diggins
taurasi/bonner/mcbride
moore/mccoughtry
parker/dupree/stewart
griner/fowles

Reply #493366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best squad we could have put on the floor if everyone available?

phillips/mitchell/hurst
ohea/allen
taylor/kunek
jackson/francis/bishop
cambage/batkovic

Reply #493367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I agree that would be a winning team! this one will be lucky to win a game let alone medal

Reply #493368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards trained with the Spirit last night (social media) and Kelly Wilson was also, but she was injured also and may have chosen/decided to focus on the WNBL season instead, rather than to rush and aggravate anything.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2450310/injured-wilson-re-signs-with-spirit/?cs=2457

Reply #493373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team has Liz, Penney and Erin so still should compete for a medal.

Expect Penney to be fatigued after a long wnba season, and she is the type of player that will look to take over an offense. If she does have a bad game once the knockout stage starts like below, the Boomers campaign could be repeated.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/51/rid/7298/sid/4730/tid/239/_/2010_FIBA_World_Championship_for_Women/statistic.html

I thought Francis was cut before the last tour? Its looking like she may start, or play a lot of minutes if Hodges struggles on defense as I'm not sure the twin tower line up of Liz and Tolo will work.

I can understand taking a flyer on a youngster like the Boomers could have done with Ben Simmons, although he is likely a lottery pick in the next few years. Lavey was a 3rd string point guard for Bendigo last season that barely played in the wnbl. I thought Stephanie Talbot would have been the young payer they looked at (recent wnba draftee).

O'Hea playing a full season in the wnba would have been an ideal preperation for a World Championship campaign (instead of a few games v Japan and Belarus). My understanding was that she didn't or doesn't have a guaranteed contract in the wnba and has to try out to make the team, so I can't see the disrespect. Especially as she pulled out early once it was known she couldn't meet the requirements Joyce set out for her.

Burton is the other interesting selection as these seabl stats indicate that she might not be ready to compete at an international level

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=197755280&client=1-3363-150604-284003-20161523

Reply #493376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen was tried as a PG in the WNBL. It was a disaster. No way she could play PG at WCs.

Hurts omission is suprising though.

Reply #493383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Brendan taking two players Lavey and Burton to a worlds and they both wont make Olympics (Brazil)!

Gabe Richards should feel robbed! Burton stunk up the WNBL and struggled at COE. Mijovic Killed her in all statistics in SEABL and was the go to player for COE.

Lavey couldn't even get minutes at Bendigo. Maddie Garrick looks better.

Way to go Brendan! what a crock up! No Bishop, No O'Hea. Clearly we need a PG, So take Mitchell and Phillips and find a combo??

If cambage gets locked up we are in huge trouble! We wont even medal!

Reply #493403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage is very injury(txt I'll gets way too tired to quickly)) prone they needed a better back up than tolo

Reply #493410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tolo performed well the the Euroleague final 4. She has the size to compete and protects the paint quite well.

Reply #493411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

other teams have advanced significantly since the last world champs. a medal wont be as straight forward as previous tournaments.
usa are obviously way out in front but
spain, turkey, france and czech republic are quality teams along with canada, brazil and china who have some great emerging talent.

china with meng li 19yo
brazil with dantas 21yo
canada with nurse 18yo
france with gaye 19yo

Reply #493415 | Report this post

OMG  
Years ago

No Hurst? We will get owned in the talls Hodges and Cambeige only ones IMO that may win their match ups. A top 5 finish would be on par for the team

Reply #493420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 5 ..... They will be very lucky if they get that far .... But let's hope we are all proven wrong

Reply #493421 | Report this post

Years ago

Burton an investment in the future

Reply #493422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke. Picking Burton and Lavey ahead off Richards and Hurst just smacks stupidity. Whilst Rebecca Allen is talented Tess Madgen on the international stage would have been a much better option. Allen won't be effective against the top team. Anyone notice that Burton, Lavey and Allen have all recently signed with Joyce’s agent Geoff McGuire who also represents his son Daniel. McGuire has never represented women then all of a sudden signs these 3 players. Word is Joyce is filthy about the O’hea, Batkovic and Bishop situation that he is telling these girls to go with an agent that he can control.

Reply #493423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

francis is a better back up than tolo at the centre spot. Tolo averages only like 5 rebounds per game. The only good thing about tolo's game is that she is a good finisher under the basket (high fg%). Unfortunately we lack size at the pf position with hodges only 6'2 (she is undersized at this level) and so I think francis should start at pf due to her physical size and added 2 inches in height along with her mid range shooting and rebounding numbers. hodges is purely an around the rim player (she would be best suited to play the smaller teams like cuba and korea). burtons numbers are terrible but she runs the floor well and is an ok defender. thats about it...

pf
1.francis 6'4
2.hodges 6'2
3.burton 6'4

c
1.cambage 6'8
2.francis 6'4
2.tolo 6'5
3.burton 6'4

i see francis playing 25-30 mins a game(20-25pf, 5-10c)
cambage 20-25 mins at c
tolo 10-15 mins at c.
hodges 5-15 mins at pf.
burton 5-15 mins at pf or c

Reply #493424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree garrick would have been a great player on both ends of the floor. had a great seabl season...

mijovic was drafted late by the mystics and was coe best player, has much more international experience than burton and has 10 times the potential.
should have given her the chance. great size at 6'6 with long arms, good shooter. needs to build her body and add a physical game.

allen has been terrific in my opinion. She's a good defender, good rebounder for her position, blocks shots, shoots the mid range and 3 at very high percentage.
was best player on the usa tour filling up the stat sheet. I think some teams even wanted to add her to there roster. much better than snell who is 1 dimensional and a waste of roster space.

Reply #493427 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I posted previously that Hurst would not get chosen by the coaching staff. Really really sad to see that become true.

Lavey is the daughter Brendan always wanted, Hurst was simply never going to get picked by him, no matter what she did.

Reply #493429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting on the agent stuff.

Although Bec Allen proved herself in the wnbl this season and on the usa tour. She can defend a number of positions and doesn't need much of the ball to contribute. Perfect 3 and D player at international level

Reply #493430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wilson, cumming and mijovic would have made good replacements for lavey, snell and burton.

Reply #493434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very old I think you totally right there.,

Other question has to be asked, all those years as an assistant coach to boomers coach....why suddenly did Joyce want to coach women, he's never bothered before, why not apply for head coach of boomers instead they were both offered at same time.

Surely they had better candidates for a women's program .

Reply #493435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brondello would be a certainty for the opals if she wanted it.

Reply #493445 | Report this post

tom yum  
Years ago

erin and penny just had good game 2s of wnba play offs - a good sign of form leading in.....

Reply #493448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

penny has been playing really well. she's been getting big assit numbers (I think 8 last game) but has been overshadowed by taurasi who is getting 10-11. she's scoring double digits and gathering some good rebounds.

erins handles are getting better but she hasnt shot the 3 ball that good of late and is also not as tenacious on defense as she once was at indiana.
it'll be hard to determine who will start at pg for the opals phillips or mitchell.

Reply #493450 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hasn't shot the 3 ball that good?
Did you miss her winning the award for best 3 point shooter in the WNBA?
I still think she is better as a 2 guard for the Opals though. We don't have a top notch 2 at the moment, whereas Leilani is a top notch PG so I'd be starting her & Erin in the backcourt, with Erin filling in at the 1 when Snell comes on.

Reply #493462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Boti's article
"Gabe is unlucky but she is undersized for international basketball."

First time I have ever heard Gabe referred to as undersized!

Reply #493464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Phillips shoots over 40 % from 3. At one stage she was at 46% but her recent form has been poor. Like 1/10.
Allen is the best 2 we have without date, offers so much more. Phillips would be a better backup 2 than snell. Phillips May start at pg but not at sg. Phillips is better on defence while Mitchell is better at running offense.
Richards is undersized centre in terms of height. Probably could have played pf...

Starting 5:
Phillips
Allen
Taylor
Francis
Cambage

2nd lineup:
Mitchell
Phillips
Jarry
Hodges
Tolo

Lavey/Snell/burton I don't expect much from.

Reply #493479 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

What's all this Bec Allen SG stuff I keep seeing on this forum? I have never thought of her as a guard. Have I been not paying close enough attention to her? What guard skills does she have?

Reply #493490 | Report this post

tom yum  
Years ago

id start hodges over francis - far more experience

Reply #493493 | Report this post

looking beyond  
Years ago

also team usa has lost catchings and parker - delle donne is carrying a back problem as well.

the sky may not be falling henny penny posters

Reply #493495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodges over Francis more than likely, but clearly a mistake. Francis beats her out in every facet of the game.

Allen is a sg/sf. What can't she do?

Reply #493501 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Our pool games are effectively just scrimmages for settling the rotations anyway, so I don't think there is much point in kicking up a fuss about who might be starting to begin with. If Francis outplays Laura then hopefully the rotations are adjusted accordingly. Likewise with Jarry and whoever ever.

Anon, I guess I just hadn't ever noticed Bec's handle or her ability to stay in front of guards on defence. If she can then by all means add some *serious* height to the backcourt. Until I see it, consider me waiting to be convinced it is realistic though.

Reply #493505 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

In Boti's article and quoted conversation with Joyce, it seems that dropping Hurst was an automatic for Brendan and clearly Joyce believes that it is such an obvious and thus unquestionably good move that it took bugger all thought on his part to pull that trigger.

I wish the girls well and hope for great success, just would like to think that Nat could take some pride in that her omission seems to have raised the most controversy, in this thread at least.

Reply #493506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton is the biggest mystery for me. She has not proven herself anywhere or out shown anyone. What does she offer that several other players in the wnbl can't?

Reply #493507 | Report this post

looking beyond  
Years ago

little off topic - but chicago getting owned big time by phoenix in wnba play offs - penny and erin stepping up - griner and liz is a great match up - they usually balance each other out.

Reply #493510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griner & Cambage was a good matchup last season.
This season Griner has taken her game to another level. On the other hand Liz hasn't really been visible in any decent level comp lately so is bit of an unknown. I suspect her improvement would only be a fraction of Brittney's though.

It's pretty pointless comparing our players against the USA right now though. There is just no comparison. Against most other teams, Liz will be a huge asset if she is fit.

Erin's play this season has been pleasing, and Penny is just a class act and a warrior any time she is out there. Brilliant player in a system like Phoenix's where she can use her versatility. She has got great on court chemistry with Griner too. If she can get anything resembling that with Liz then it makes Liz all the more dangerous.

Reply #493525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage is no match for griner anymore. Griner has worked hard on improving her game and cambage has not.

Griner works hard on staying in range for the a block.
Cambage try's to follow players and then lunges for the block. She needs more poise. if she standed straight up instead of slapping at the ball and worked harder on her footwork, her block numbers would soar.

Reply #493557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz is a great offensive player.

Griner is a great defensive player.

Liz has little to no impact on the defensive end, and her play goes downhill on that end when she is unfit.

Griner's offense is developing all the time and while she doesn't really have a lot of great post moves, she is finishing better, showing a softer touch and extending her range.

Liz will score v Griner although as far as overall impact on the game Griner should win that battle.

Reply #493572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stopped reading after someone suggested Tess Madgen should be picked in front of Bec Allen! Talk about clueless.

Reply #493574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#493445 - brondello would be a certainty for the opals if she wanted it.

Coaches like Brondello and Agler couldn't committ to living full time in Canberra for 4 years as they had other organisations willing to offer them employment.

My understanding is that j0yce didn't have a lot of other organisations willing to offer him a four year employment contract.

Reply #493578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that j0yce didn't have a lot of other organisations willing to offer him a four year employment contract.

Lol, no wonder

Reply #493580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This competition continues to unearth talent that feeds through to the national team, with the likes of Rebecca Allen, Tessa Lavey and Natalie Burton the latest players to graduate to the Jayco Opals.

“Having a league of the standard of the WNBL will ensure the Jayco Opals continue to push for international honours."

This statement above was made by Joyce ???? Lavey hardly hit the floor in the WNBL, and Burtons stats are very average at best. There are so many other players that have performed consistently in the WNBL for a number of years.

Reply #493590 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

This is my confusion.

Lavey is a good player, but she is not a great player yet for Opals standard. It just baffles me. Did anyone see the WNBL grandfinal?? ..I saw some seriously talented PG's on the court, funnily enough Lavey didn't even hit the floor. Why? shes good but shes not great. Shes not at the level of the likes of Wilson and Harrower. And thats' just Bendigo, she wouldn't of started in PG for Townsville either or possibly even got court time in that team either in the final.

No disrespect to Lavey, shes amazing for her age but comparing her to the more experienced PG's in Australia .... hmmmmmmm.

I hope she proves us all wrong. Good luck Lavey you've been put under tremendous pressure to step up.

Reply #493594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I nearly fell off my chair when I read that from Joyce

Reply #493595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting reading... Particularly about Joyce's agent making his first female signings of lavey, Allen and burton. Something he hasn't done before? Something going on?

Reply #493603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurst, Wilson, mccully, veal, hunt, cole, Macleod, Romeo, todhunter. Would you take 1 of these girls before lavey?

I'd say the first 4 would have been better choices and cole would be one for the future.

Reply #493607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield has been playing well also.

Reply #493608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romeo? bahahahahaha.

Reply #493631 | Report this post

Goodlookin  
Years ago

I'd take Blicavs just for her looks. Is that ok Joyce? Lol

Reply #493669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't touch hunt McLeod or Romeo, think Lavey would be better than these three for sure

Toddhunter is a great point guard and so is Wilson,, veal and mc cully are ok guards but not pg, Hurst would be first choice for me and all of these over Lavey

Reply #493674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The integrity of brendan joyce has to be questioned here with the only female signings his agent has are the only ones that have created controversy about being picked. Something not right with that and completely unfair to other players with different agents. must of already had his mind made up.

Reply #493724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be certainly worth looking into that's for sure as alarm fells are beginning to ring, it's like jobs for the boys all over again

Reply #493746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really think Richards should have been taken over burton or tolo.
The other teams this year are all quite small anyway and a strong 6'3 mobile big would have been of more use than 2 lengthy centres of 6'4/6'5, they just don't have the stat numbers that suit there position. I think tolo's rebound career avg is just over 5 and burton even less ( not good when you compare that with Richards who averages 12 rebounds and scores consistent double digits). Francis is going to have to do a hell of lot of physical work at pf because there is no one else with a similar frame that can box out the likes of ogwumike, Charles, fowles, Dupree and the like. People will say that Richards was in doubt due to injury, but she is well enough to be on the standby list...

Reply #493809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards has an injury that would of been too big of a risk at a World Championship tournament. She will get through a WNBL campaign but i would imagine on a reduced training load.

Reply #493813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can she be injured if she is first on the standby list along with hurst and madgen.

Reply #493822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> Francis is going to have to do a hell of lot of physical work at
> pf because there is no one else with a similar frame that can box
> out the likes of ogwumike, Charles, fowles, Dupree and the like.

People really need to stop comparing Opals to WNBA All Stars. Putting Francis in the same sentence as Fowles or Ogwumike when speaking about rebounding is a joke.

Beating the Europeans is what we need to be firmly focussed on. The drubbing at the hands of the USA is a given. What we need to do is ensure that it occurs in the gold medal game rather than sooner.

Reply #493833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U still have to try and compete against the Americans. If our objective was not to win, then what's the point in going. USA have a much bigger talent pool, but as you know, having the best team on paper doesn't always guarantee you a gold medal.

Reply #493837 | Report this post

bah mi  
Years ago

griner is having eye trouble after game 2 of play offs - delle donne back probs, catch and CP have pulled out.........

Reply #493840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on recent scrimmages and past wNBA season, I believe us squad will look something like this.

Whalen/bird/diggins
Taurasi/mccougtry
Moore/bonner
Ogwumike/Dupree/Stewart
Griner/Charles, fowles or young Dolson, flip of coin.

I think the Donne will be a long shot because of injury.
Maybe 1 of bird , Whalen or diggins to make room for another sg in Augustus or young mcbride/sims knowing taurasi also runs point.

Reply #493848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> If our objective was not to win, then what's the point in going.

Thanks for that pearl of genius

> U still have to try and compete against the Americans

Of course you do but selecting a team based on matchups with the USA is stupid given what a struggle it is going to be to get to them. Worry about them when we meet them. Until then just focus on not embarrassing ourselves the way we did under Graf

Reply #493852 | Report this post

Done  
Years ago

Griner has already pulled out. but not public knowledge as yet.

Reply #493856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We won't be as bad as you think. A medal is a possibility.

Phillips 5'8
Allen 6'1
Taylor 6'1
Francis 6'4
Cambage 6'8

Pretty balanced side... Covers all bases. The only problem I can see would be the other teams speed in transition.

Reply #493857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the Opals team need to pull a Boomers move and drop a game in the group stage against a team like Belarus to avoid playing team USA in the semi finals (the loss means playing for bronze).

If they finish second in their pool it looks like they get an extra knockout game in the round of 16 (3rd in group D, so likely China)and then will have a tougher 1/4 final game v Spain.

With the Boomers backlash they might avoid any potential tricks and be happy playing for bronze.

Reply #494490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have to get to that stage first, they struggled against weaker teams in the tour, admittedly they didn't have Philips and Taylor but they did have Cammbage

Reply #494570 | Report this post

BBallfan  
Years ago

From a French twitter site after Australia vs USA exhibition game.

Ladyhoop @Ladyhoop_News · 46m
Apparemment rupture du tendon d'Achille pour Liz Cambadge qui s'est blessée ctre Team USA. Gros coup dur pour l'Australie si ça se confirme

English translation

Apparently rupture of the Achilles tendon for Liz Cambadge who was injured ctre Team USA. Big blow for Australia if it is confirmed

I hope it isnt that bad.

Reply #494854 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Wow poor Liz, there goes our medal....

Reply #494859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who goes as a replacement?

Reply #494861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is no reports of Liz screaming on the floor in agony I doubt it's a rupture.

Reply #494862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good news for opals, they were not looking so good before any injury with the team they had, now their star centre is out,

Reply #494863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News snippet from BA just said she went off injured after 9 mins of play before second quarter. Any other news ??

Reply #494879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If cambage is injured.... Richards steps in which ain't so bad.

Reply #494910 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Richards is injured too that's why she didn't go, not fit enough for worlds right now plus they cant bring her in this late I would assume even if she was right to play?

Reply #494911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well we're pretty much f***ed if Liz is hurt in any serious way, and this certainly doesn't sound minor.

Thoughts & prayers for big Lizzie. Hope the news is good.

Reply #494967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know of a live stream for France vs opals game tonight?

Reply #494975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@lovewomensbasketball on twitter may post a link, otherwise a sports betting website like bet365 might be the best option to try.

Reply #494976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope it's nothing serious that's for sure

Reply #494979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They beat France last night , no liz though and Mitchell replaced with Philips in the starters

Reply #494995 | Report this post

Mac  
Years ago

Not Good news. Cambage has indeed ruptured her tendon.

What is the best replacement(if that could ever be) for one of the best centres in the game?

Reply #495009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone says Richards was injured but fact is she was put on standby with madgen and hurst. So I hope Richards does go and I hope Francis gets a lot more minutes because we just don't have quality rebounders in tool or burton.

Reply #495020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not good at all dandenong rangers will be in a tail spin too now

Reply #495034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will BA's insurance cover the dandenong contract?

Tough blow for Dandy if they pay her mid 6 figures and she cant play this year.

Reply #495039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards the obvious replacement if healthy.

If she's not healthy, then OMG the next best centre we could take would be ... very ordinary, whoever they were. Yikes.
Fingers crossed for Gabe.

Reply #495080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic or Richards are the only descent choices for the moment.

Front court of the future:
Cambage
Francis
Tolo
Bunton
Mijovic
Bishop
Tomlinson
Scherf
Burton
Langford
Thompson
Penaluna

Even longer wait.
Scherf
Froling
Fareo
Magbegor
Collins

On the way out:
Batkovic 34
Jackson 33
Richards 30
Hodges 31

Reply #495090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Maher would be happy if he ends up getting the win over the Opals tonight.

Reply #495101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan of maher. With a huge player pool in china to choose from and an increase in investment for Chinese athletes, they should be on the way up.

Reply #495103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754