Train
Years ago

Shawn Redhage status

Anybody know what the deal is with Redhage and the Wildcats?
There was some speculation earlier as he was still listed as uncontracted on the NBL website and his contract had not been registered with the NBL.

He is also not listed in the Wildcats website on the players list or the stats.

Am I reading to much in to this ?

Topic #35406 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played in their preseason game

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/ykpidket8f1r1ui5cwgygae36

Reply #493698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So did Muo... ;)

Reply #493700 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Still strange they don't have him listed as a player on their website .

Reply #493715 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Would it be maybe a budgeting tactic? Have to register his contract which would include salary, but since rest of team hasn't been locked in yet, maybe he's willing to take a hit salary wise to get the other players in, and once that's set, he's going to get locked in?

Sounds like an ok tactic if the player has already made their cash and is happy to grow the team for the sake of money...

Reply #493730 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I like Wookiee's answer; let's go with that :)

Actually fits with Shawn's team focus since Bevo took over in 2009.

Reply #493735 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I can't see him playing for anyone else really . Maybe now that Ross is signed and when the 10th spot is sorted it we will here more .

Still doesn't make sense why he wouldn't be included on the player list on the cats website ....unless it's because the individual clubs websites are tied in with the NBL site and as his contract hasn't be lodged with the NBL they haven't included him in stats etc.

Reply #493745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I tweeted the Cats about this and they still haven't put up his page after a couple of hours. Wookiee may be correct.

But really, you are killing it, just sign the guys however and pay luxury tax.

Reply #493750 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Isnt the marquee player rule that you get 9 players for $850k then you can pay your 10th player for what ever you want but if you pay them more than $150k ie go over the $1 mil cap you have to pay the tax.

So maybe they only have say $40-50k left in the $850k for the last spot then will sign Redhage for what he wants as the 10th marquee player if needed.

Do they have to sign guys in that order to use the marquee rule/cap exception??

Maybe thats why they are waiting on him, knowing he isnt looking elsewhere so they wont lose him.

Reply #493754 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Redhage signed a 3 year deal when Gleeson arrived last year, didn't he?

Reply #493872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was of the understanding the marquee was outside of the salary cap, therefore, 9 players can sign up to the cap ($1 mill) and the 10th/marquee can sign for anything over that?
Additionally, I thought Daniels was their marquee?

Reply #493903 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

So Jonno are you expecting us to believe that Knight, Jervis, Wagstaff, Martin, Beal, Daniels, Ross, Hire are only being paid 800K between them?

I was prepared to give the Cats the benefit of the doubt with Daniels being paid 200K+ as the marquee. But the dumping of Muo, the addition of Ross and now the hanging around while they try to find a way to get the Harvey Norman vouchers to top up Redhage's salary that is no longer the case.

Reply #493909 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Don't forget that half of Redhage & Wagstaff's salaries goes to the umpires

Reply #494143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754