Anonymous
Years ago

U'u to resign with Cats

Just at the Wildcats family members day and Gleeson said he U'u was to be announced in the next week. How is this possible with the points system?

Topic #35431 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

insane line up! what a bench! U'u, ross, hire, wags and jervis!!!

Reply #493997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean he has re signed? Or he has quit (resigned)!

Reply #493998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nearly done deal

Reply #494000 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Not confirmed yet. If he wins points appeal then it's possible.

Reply #494002 | Report this post

U'u fan  
Years ago

Awesome news!! Very happy! Drake the Snake!

U'u beauty!!

Reply #494006 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

So stoked at this . Was really hoping he would have his points reduced.
If this all goes through the cats have a very deep bench .

Reply #494008 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Lets say Daniels is the marquee players are the remaining 9 players under $850k?

Reply #494009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get the auditors in there. Remember they are paying Muo out in full as well.

Reply #494012 | Report this post

U'u fan  
Years ago

Here come the haters.. don't be jealous. Actually you should be!

Reply #494014 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Seamus Mc Marvin

Reply #494015 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Paying Muo out is separate and doesn't count against salary cap??

Reply #494021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hypothetical:
Say Wildcats owed Muo $70,000 this season and they paid him out, if they changed their mind and wanted to re-sign him again for $40,000 what would his salary be in regards to their team salary cap?
$40,000? $70,000? $110,000?
If $40,000 it would be a good way to cheat the salary cap to bring someone else of high quality into the team by adding the $30,000 you have saved to their salary.

Reply #494022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels
Ross
Beal
Redhage
U'u

Half the team are Americans haha :P

Reply #494027 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Opposition fans can calm down.

Whilst U'u is a decent 10th man, he hardly set the world on fire last season.

Re-rating is not uncommon and certainly not confined to the Wildcats.

Reply #494028 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think any move the wildcats make is subject to scrutiny. I find it amusing.

Reply #494035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually U'u was starting to look ok as the season progressed so I think it s a pretty good re-signing and certainly alot better then the Luke Martin rumors.

Reply #494036 | Report this post

Uu top fan  
Years ago

Yes I am pleased for him, I have noticed on Instagram he has been training hard off season. I am really pleased. Hopefully he will get more minutes and prove that he was a signing with waiting for. He was getting more minutes and getting more confident

Reply #494039 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Daniels
Ross
Beal
Redhage
U'u

Half the team are Americans ....

.Redhage and U'u are Aussies and Ross is from Guam, you fail at maths

Reply #494042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

".Redhage and U'u are Aussies and Ross is from Guam, you fail at maths"

I like how you didn't include the part where I said "haha :P", which clearly showed I was joking.

Reply #494046 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Maxymoo...Redhage is an American but a naturalised Australian. Ross was born in Guam but has American parents and was raised and lived in America his whole life aside from early early childhood, so more American than Guam.
Not sure about U'u?

Reply #494048 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I was joking too folks...I play the dumbarse too well

Reply #494050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure about U'u?"

Mum was born in Australia I believe.

Reply #494056 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

U'u is no better than any other 10th man in this league so it's hardly earth shattering news

Reply #494060 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Had to shake my head when I saw this, it has to be said, our contracts lads are having an MVP year.

Reply #494076 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ok, just putting it out there that even the sacking of Muo to make room for Ross, while somewhat distasteful, still can be put under the "it's just business" banner, and I have to admire the hard work of whoever is putting in the time to track these sorts of players down, I think this is going just a LITTLE bit too far...

It's good to possibly see U'u back in the league, he's a good kid and works hard... but come ON... even if this is under some obscure rule that allows a player to be re-rated, this is all a bit suss, yeah?

If the NBL re-rates a player up 1pt from 3 to 4 based on their magical formula^ and then re-rates them DOWN to whatever magical number Mr Marvin needs, then that just defeats the purpose and all credibility (and it had very little, depending on who you talk to) of the player points system...

U'u being rated a 4 means he isn't just like any other 10th players out there... Look who other teams have... Daly, Cooks, Joyce, Bruce, there are plenty of other players out there, they don't need to go to such extremes to draft a 10th player, surely?^^

^ - I don't see how U'u got rated up in the first place
^^ - I realise fully that if a team that wasn't as stacked did this, I would have much less of a problem with it, hey, that's how the cookie crumbles... Strangely enough, this isn't really coming from a hate place, more from a "come on guys, give the rest a chance, ey?" place...

Reply #494077 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

From memory, there is a rule that exists specifically if no one wants a player at their current points rating, a club can appeal to have them re-rated to something that does work. Another thread mentioned Melbourne used it a couple years ago.

And when Sydney goes and plucks the Joyce, the jewel of NBL 10th men, of course we had to use drastic measures not to be left behind ;)

Reply #494078 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I realise fully that if a team that wasn't as stacked did this, I would have much less of a problem with it,"
A less-stacked team wouldn't have to do it, because they'd have the space under the points cap in the first place.

Reply #494079 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

And when Sydney goes and plucks the Joyce, the jewel of NBL 10th men, of course we had to use drastic measures not to be left behind ;)

Heh... we were lucky to have snagged him with all those Euro offers on the table ;) I had heard mention of this rule previously this off-season, but didn't know any other team had used it... Curious... no surprise that it was Melbourne though!

A less-stacked team wouldn't have to do it, because they'd have the space under the points cap in the first place.

Yeah, I sort of meant underachieving club, I know Hawks have like a hundred points left, but they and teams like Cairns or even Townsville were the teams I was thinking of... Basically anyone but NZ, Perth or Melbourne ;)

Reply #494090 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The points cap is unfair it keeps players out of the league!!1!!

WAIT THE WILDCATS ARE SIGNING SOMEONE WHO PLAYED LESS THAN 10 MINUTES A GAME LAST SEASON??

POINTS ROUT!!

Reply #494093 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

meh, could care less who sits at the end of their bench & as Alexkrad posted, he didn't contribute much to their rotation last season so what's the big worry?

Is he much better than anyone else's 10th man?

Reply #494101 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

To be fair, U'U was probably the 9th man last season and Burdon was the 10th, so having U'U as the 10th is an upgrade.

Reply #494112 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ennis out Daniels in not much in it there.
Burdon out Ross in a massive upgrade.

Reply #494114 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I struggled to see anything from U'u last season that suggested he could carve out a niche/role in the league.

Doesn't have the skills of a PG, inconsistent shooter.

But credit to him for his defence. He works very hard.

Reply #494116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question has to be and will be asked of the Wildcats salary cap

Changes are:

Daniels for Ennis
Ross for Burdon

The majority of NBL players have uplift in year 2 or 3 of their deals, but put that to the side for now.

Ross cant be expected to simply replace Burdon on salary. If so that means Perth are saying that last years team was around $100,000 under the salary cap.

Perth are proposing that an SEC starter that averaged 14 points per game and had try outs with NBA teams has signed with an NBL team at a wage Burdon accepted last year.

Daniels may well be in the same ball park as Ennis was salary wise so that isnt an issue.

Reply #494118 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Stop being silly . Ross has taken Muo's salary portion. Let's not forget that Ross had not been signed anywhere yet. It's very likely he was sold on coming to Perth on a lesser pay deal(for the first year anyway) in return for training and playing for a well organised club that could help him become a better player . Not really that different than a potential NBA player (Daniels and Ennis) coming to Perth for 150k when they could of fetched a lot more in Europe.

I imagine U'u who has not been signed by anyone yet would probably have taken minimum salary ( close to what Burdon would of been paid )

Reply #494121 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Last year the marquee rule wasn't in effect could that explain potential rises in salary Ross/Burdon or part of Daniels salary?
To be honest I'm not clear on marquee rule if anyone can explain it that's great.

Reply #494122 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Are the Wildcats are very good at exploiting loopholes to their advantage yes . Are they salary cap cheats ... definitely not. They are a highly professional team.

Reply #494123 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I had forgotten Muo's salary that explains part of it thanks Train.

Reply #494125 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Rough guesses of everyone below market price.

Daniels: 150k
Beal: 130K
Redhage: 130k
Martin: 100k
Knight: 100k
Wagstaff: 80K
Hire: 70K
Jervis: 70K
= 830K

So lets say I am 50K out across the board that leaves 120k between Ross and a bench warming 10th man. Completely plausible that Ross takes 70-90K in the first year of a 3 year deal with trigger clauses in the 2nd and 3rd years for salary increases (and that is without marquee provisions)

Also Redhage isn't officially signed so if U'u wants say 50k-60k instead of league minimum Shawn might be the one prepared to take the hit.

As for minutes:

Martin 25/Beal 15/U'u (foul/fatigue insurance)
Beal 15/Ross 25
Daniels 25/Hire 15
Redhage 25/Wagstaff 15
Knight 20/Jervis 15/Wagstaff 5

Reply #494131 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Perth would be fine. I have the calculations/guestimates at:

Martin ($170k)/U'u ($50k)
Beal ($170k)/Ross ($75k)
Daniels ($350k - excluded from cap)/Hire ($75k)
Redhage ($125k)/Wagstaff ($95k)
Knight ($140k)/Jervis ($100k)

I think that is pretty close to the actual figures. Jervis wouldn’t have received many offers more than that – there was all this talk about him being offered big money but that was overblown. I was even inclined to think he would be on $90kish.
Hire’s $75k is about what he is worth I reckon.
Ross’s $75k would be about right – maybe $80kish max. AUD is strong against the USD and he didn’t have many offers coming in. Not a bad wage straight from school.
U’u’s would be about that – 10th guy salary.

So yes, I think they are fine under the cap. I am a Breaker supporter through and through..i can’t be mad/angry at such an opportunistic team and their professionalism. I mean how many other teams would know to look at a player like Ross. I think Management bargains pretty well too – and so they should being the most professional team in the league, current champs and unbelievable hype and marketing.

Reply #494132 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

MACDUB, 150k from Daniels salary has to count against the cap.

Also Wagstaff, Redhage and Knight are all helped out with tertiary study options by the Wildcats I believe; so may be willing to take less to stay in their courses.

Reply #494135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyle Armour > Drizzy Drake

Reply #494136 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ MACDUB. Awesome post
Not sure if Martin would be on 170K but those figures look about right.

Reply #494138 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Silencer,

is that true? Didn't even know.

Reply #494139 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Jervis is not on 100k either

Melbourne offered more, he stayed in Perth for far less

Reply #494142 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't buy that at all.

I don't think teams threw the type of $ at Jervis that everyone on this forum seems to think.

Reply #494144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I like drake and what be brings Armour seems to suit the PG position much more.
Tore up the SBL. has a higher ball IQ and probably faster around the court. also a solid shooter with great technique. On the upside Drake has the bigger body and doesn't she away from contact and is proven at NBL level.

Plus 1 for Armour over U'U

Reply #494146 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Yes, 850k for 9 players + 150k of the marquee's salary. It was in article about the Wildcats a few months ago.

While I don't know the numbers I am sure that Melbourne offered more than the Wildcats so 100k is probably 20-30 grand too high.

Reply #494151 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think the basic issue is that when the Wildcats offer $100,000, and a regional city offers $100,000, the offers aren't equal. There are so many other benefits to the Wildcats program, from top-notch facilities, to where they play, to the culture you'd be buying into, the fact they are clearly starting to develop some working relationships with NBA teams.

... the fact it's better to have 12,000 people cheering you on ~16 times a season rather than jeering you twice a season.

Reply #494152 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The chance to stay in WA would have factored in Jervis' decision to stay and he could earn $100k+ in the mining industry so it would take a huge offer to move him east.
I would guess he is around 80-85k.

Reply #494154 | Report this post

Ansty  
Years ago

On those contract guesstimates, which contracts are we talking about? The ones the Wildcats give the NBL or the other ones the players reputedly also sign?

Reply #494156 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

*snort*

Reply #494163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get that Perth's priority is financial success and winning games is essentially a commercial imperative, and they have absolutely no obligation or responsibility to aid in the the development of Australian talent or offer a pathway for aspiring Australians to play in the NBL.

But signing U'U over one of several locals who I think are capable of playing at the NBL level doesn't sit that well with me. Drake seems like a great guy with a great attitude, but there are a few locals who've got to wonder what they have to do for an NBL opportunity. (And to be honest before his left-field recruitment last year U'U probably wasn't even considering a professional basketball career.)

Muo losing his spot to Ross was definitely disappointing for Muo but you could at least concede that Ross represented a tangible improvement to the roster.

Reply #494169 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ansty you crack me up. Melbourne are stacked with Barlow, Kickert, McRae and Dennis all on big money.
Wortho,Corletto,Walker and Tomlinson won't be playing for peanuts either.
Why do people assume Perth is rorting the cap.

Reply #494170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steven paraphrased: "If Melbourne are rorting the cap, it's ok if Perth are rorting the cap."

Simple solution to all this: another NBL team make an offer to U'u and theoretically it wouldn't make sense for him to be re-rated down. No one seems to be publicly making that offer though.

Lastly, everyone needs to learn the difference between re-signed and resigned. They are very different concepts! ;)

Reply #494173 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Haha, I like nathan's comment referring to Melbourne as a regional city.

Reply #494174 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Macdub I think your numbers are close enough to reality. Ross is light on in my view. Your numbers excluding Daniels mean Perth are over the cap. They have to have those 9 guys under $850,000 to engage the marquee rule.

Reply #494177 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Should also add that the reason there is so much speculation is the lack of communication from the NBL. If Perth havent enacted the marquee rule then I would be highly sceptical that they are under the salary cap. If they present Ross' contract to the NBL at more than Burdon's value last year they are in effect acknowledging that they were questionably legal last year.

If Ross' agent has allowed him to sign a deal like that then he is open to misrepresentation of his clients interests or party to a questionable situation.

Reply #494180 | Report this post

Vert4life  
Years ago

just found out Drakes re rating was successful.
Cats have their 10.

Reply #494399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the questions regarding the salary of Perth players is getting boring. Get to know your team and u may answer why they are taking less. Just from reading members news, half the team is married, getting married or having kids. They are settled! Most of them are studying as well. Also if you attend a game each and every player has a game night sponsor. The organisation is well run and well managed

Reply #494400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 players American born with American bank accounts
Owner who is born American with American bank accounts
Allegations of double contracts . Plausible

Reply #494403 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

So anon - where are the allegations of double contracts, who has made them, and in relation to what players? If "allegations" had been made, I would have thought it would have been front page news. A whole lot of conspiracy theorists on this topic - perhaps focus on the moon landing conspiracy instead. It is a whole lot more plausible.

Reply #494437 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So...

Martin / U'u
Beal / Ross
Daniels / Hire
Redhage / Wagstaff
Knight / Jervis

Should be reasonably competitive this year. Serious challengers in Melbourne and New Zealand, but I like that we've maintained our variety of looks and scoring options.

Reply #494443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see an all star starting 5 right there.

Melb and NZ are weak in the centre position but melb definitely make up for that with barlow and kickert and wotho. Cant wait for the season to start.

Reply #494461 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Anon 461; NZ have two international starters manning the centre (one of whom is also an import) and Kickert is Melbourne's centre.

Reply #494481 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Members First News:
The Perth Wildcats have completed their 2014/15 playing roster by re-signing guard Drake U'u for three seasons.
U’u is currently en route to Brisbane where he will join his teammates ahead of a pre-season game tomorrow night.
He will also play at the NBL Blitz this weekend.
The popular Wildcat is excited to be coming back to Perth.
"I had a great year in Perth with the Wildcats, obviously winning the Championship was something I’ll never forget, and I’m very happy to be coming back," said U’u.
“My focus now will be doing everything I can to help the team. A lot of clubs have gotten stronger over the off-season and we need to be ready for that if we are to be a contender again this season.”
The 24-year-old averaged 2.3 points per game at just under 40 per cent from the field in his rookie season on the way to becoming a Championship player.
He scored a season high 13 points against the Townsville Crocodiles in January, with a four from four three-point performance. He also came off the bench to score eight points in the deciding game of the Grand Final series against Adelaide.
Drake U’u was originally rated at four points under the NBL’s player points cap system, but upon challenging his rating, had it reduced to two.
Both U’u and the Perth Wildcats have options at the conclusion of each season as part of the three-year contract.
The Perth Wildcats take on the Sydney Kings tomorrow night in Ipswich ahead of the NBL Blitz, which tips off in Brisbane this weekend.

Reply #494500 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Woo!

Reply #494517 | Report this post

U'u fan  
Years ago

Fantastic!!!!!!

Reply #494518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Is looking long term. Signed Ross to a three year deal,Martin to a 2 year deal, Wagstaff to a 2 year deal, Knight still has two year left, Jervis signed for 2 and U'u for 3.Hire is the only one coming off the book next season.

Reply #494554 | Report this post

Lo 40  
Years ago

This seems like it was a good move by recent accounts

Reply #507501 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

U'U was able to appeal his points down to 2, so I'm guessing that means he stays on 2 for the duration of his contract?
He's certainly looking very handy. Doesn't look that comfortable running the point, but his shooting is good, and he likes to take it to the hoop when the opportunity presents. I think his future in the NBL is as an OG.

Reply #507557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An original gangster?

Reply #507561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word

Reply #507578 | Report this post

Lo 40  
Years ago

OG?

Reply #507580 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Off Guard

Reply #507603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754