Jonno
Years ago

Oceania Rule solution??

Just read Boti's latest article re the Ross/Wesley situation,

I still beleive they should be allowed to play in the NBL, it would be very harsh to force them to be cut now imo, and think the rule is in play so they should just approve it asap and add it to the book. Im all for getting as much talent into the league as possible,

However as Boti and many others have pointed out if a club or 2 decided to disagree with this, the Breakers and Wildcats dont appear to have much to stand on, especially given the intention was for guys who actually spent atleast 5 years in the Oceania region not just sneek in imports who were born there but were for all intents American.

So i think a compromise which is fairer for all clubs not just the clubs who decided to use this rule could be allow the Wildcats and Breakers to keep Ross and Wesley on there roster if all other clubs are allowed to suit 11 man rosters in all games including 3 imports. And allow clubs an extra $45k in the salary cap to fit the 3rd import in, and this player can be added regardless of the teams points cap situation. Even get the Wildcats/Breakers/NBL to pay part of the salary, and if they dont agree then they have to pay out and release Ross/Wesley or one of there imports as Ross/Wesley would count as imports.

As given most peoples argument against Wesley/Ross being bought in is that there clubs have essentially tried to suit an extra import under the Oceania Rule, that isnt in writing, allowing all clubs the extra import and some financial support would level the playing field.

I know its late for clubs to add a import, but there has been many times imports have been added mid season, so clubs wouldnt have to rush, and could be encouraged to look at some of the SEABL imports floating around the Country (if they havnt left yet). Suiting 11 players also ensures no one has to be cut to allow this either.

To me that could work as atleast a short term solution and make it fairer for everyone, then tidy it up in the offseason. I am all for Oceania players being allowed and think its a bit nit picky, but if a club is against it and stands up against it then something will have to give, and i for one want Ross and Wesley in the NBL as both sound like great players.

When they do adopt the rule they will also have to tidy up wether they take up the must have lived there for atleast 5 years part also, under these grounds i think Wesley and Ross would also be ineligible, hence my solution being call them imports and allow everyone to have 3.

Just throwing it out there, what do people think should happen at the NBLs directors meeting re this issue.

Topic #35463 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

The rule has been passed by FIBA it is just paperwork that hasn't been done by the NBL. That is all that needs to be resolved.
Just because other teams didn't choose to explore this rule that they were all aware of is no reason to exclude 2x players.
Wesley has already played in the New Zealand NBL with the Southland Sharks as a local under the new rule & attracted interest from other NBL teams who were obviously also well aware of the new ruling but chose to sign with NZ probably due to already having a relationship with Breakers assistant Coach Paul Henare who coaches Southland & Gary Wilkinson's recommendation (they played together at college).

If the other teams were unaware of this rule they should find new jobs as it was widely reported. It is more likely that they chose not to explore it further as they were too busy chasing stud imports.

Reply #494653 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"When they do adopt the rule they will also have to tidy up wether they take up the must have lived there for atleast 5 years part also, under these grounds i think Wesley and Ross would also be ineligible"
Ross maybe, but Wesley is eligible either way.

Both play for the Guam national team, so they're presumably both eligible even under the residency requirement, so it becomes merely about whether the rule is in or not.

Reply #494654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ross doesn't play for the national team he is planning to
He doesn't qualify under the residency consideration

Reply #494656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also agree that Wesley should be able to play as he seems the type of player that the intent of the rule is for
Ross out played many NBL imports at NBA trials and hasn't been to Guam for about 20 years. He hasn't seen the pacific islander pathway much less walked along it

Reply #494657 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

FWIW im with Mystro, im all for the rule, allowing it as of right now and allowing Ross and Wesley to play.

just threw this out there in case an opposing club kicks up against it and as Boti suggests they wouldnt have much trouble beating this rule as its not in law, etc. His article is a decent read.

To me if this happens then what i was suggesting is a decent compromise imo.

Just interested to hear what people think, and what should happen, especially if a club tries to vote against Ross/Wesley due to the rule not being in writing per what Boty suggests.

Reply #494658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years I believe does he fit into the that rule?

Reply #494665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't boti talk about sumthing else? Why nuthin was said b4 hand is beyond me! He is like a child.

Reply #494687 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

much like your literacy skills

Reply #494690 | Report this post

#  
Years ago

rekt

Reply #494697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti tought me! How to dribble

Reply #494700 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW, BA's general bylaws seem to let NBL set its own rules:

"10. The National Basketball League
This clause has not been repeated. BA Limited has licence agreements with each club in the national league and the national league rules and regulations from time to time apply."

The reference to "not repeated" reflects the bylaws being a review of the original 2004 bylaws when ABF became BA.

The current BA Foreign Player and Coach Policy sets a limit of 2 male players per team with allowance for NBL to have three:

"two male overseas players per team (active at any one time, valid in all leagues ), however the NBL has an exception where a third male player may be permitted to play in accordance with the rules of the NBL."

That policy states that it applies to "people that are non-Australians and are participants or potential participants as a player or coach in...[the] NBL". There's no reference to Oceania exemptions. Unfortunately, the policy is 5 years old (August 2009) and may not capture the BA Board decision of September 2013 when it "agreed to a request from FIBA Oceania to treat the Oceania region as a "common market" for basketball players competing in Australian club competition". The BA press release also stated that the decision was "effective immediately". It also referred to "players of New Zealand or Pacific Island nationality [being] free to participate in leagues in Australia without restriction". No definition of what defines NZ or Islander nationality was included in the press release and I couldn't find the definition anywhere on the BA web site, in its regulations, guidelines, policies or bylaws.

Perhaps it's about eligibility to play for NZ or the Islander nation's team at a FIBA championship or Olympic tournament? That seems a reasonable assumption, given FIBA was driving this change.

Reply #495051 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Meant to close above post by saying two things. The BA general bylaw makes it clear that NBL can set its own rules. The BA Board decision of September 2013 was after NBL had formally separated from BA. Presumably NBL inherited the rules in place when the separation happened. So that suggests it comes back to whether NBL has formally changed its rules to allow Oceania players to participate as locals. Based on general reporting of this issue since the NBL rules since they were made available to the media (i.e. in the last 2 weeks), that didn't happen.

Regardless of the merits either way, NBL needs to decide what it wants the rule to be and then act or not to deal with the current situation. Given the furore this issue has raised, imagine reactions should a successful legal challenge late in the coming season see Perth and NZ tipped out of the finals. NBL must not leave that door open.

Reply #495056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 2 contracts have been approved on the back of a press release. The more the Nbl changes the more it stays the same

Reply #495064 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754