JR23
Years ago

Blitz Day 1 Review

Quick observations from Day 1 on teams and some players.

Townsville - The Syracuse Orange of the NBL - ZONE
Gladness - Will only get better and fairly polished offensively. Shot blocking and length defensively as advertised. Foul prone if you get into his body though.
Conklin - Wont work with Gladness, could see him departing for a more mobile 4 during year.
Steindl & Blanchfield - Nice wing combo who look set to mature with increased opportunities.

Melbourne - Missed Dennis clearly but more concerning is lack of structure still as obvious as last year. Ball on the deck all night and watchers standing around perimeter, especially against zone. Showed a front running mentality and fell apart without any adjustment during entire second half.
McRae - Showed his best and arrogance all in one game. Went individual second half and lost cool when things didn't fall into place.
Kickert - It's the returning Anstey from Europe all over again. Inside/out and didn't force things with McRae's hot hand early - impressive but will need to board harder.
Barlow - Non factor, sat lots early and looked somewhat disinterested at times. Could he be carrying something?
Corletto - Sat late when Crocs settled in the zone, could've spread floor and been more of a factor. Needs to be more aggressive offensively in minutes though.

New Zealand - Much better placed and roster more balanced this campaign.
Wesley - Great find and could be sixth man of the year straight off the bat. More offensive package than Vukona.
Jackson - Just easing in but game changer and played off ball more tonight with Carter's inclusion and contribution.
Ebekwe - Simply a role player, nothing to bring fans to game but nice foil for Pledger.
Webster - Coming off great showing at World Cup, he's taken his game to the next level.
Pledger - He will never reach the heights people expect based on his size. Forget where he's at or coming back from, he had Creek on his back and even Gibson at times and doesn't demand the ball or put himself in a position to overpower inferior match-ups.

Adelaide - Serious concerns about lack of size and loosey goosey offense working this year.
Wilson - Looked like he's over injuries that hampered him last season, had that explosiveness and quick change of direction.
Gibson - Perimeter game has improved, will need to adjust to style of officiating as will Perth in general even more so than last year.
Creek - Can't bully people in NBL like he did in SEABL without perimeter game.
Montreal - Positive start but needs more perimeter touches where he can use his mobility and touch. He and Conklin exchanging teams would be win-win for both parties even this early.

Topic #35478 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledgers first game back from injury, and it's only a pre-season game.
How terrible is Mitch Creeks jump shot? Did any go in?

Reply #494848 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This may be super presumptuous but United have 5 players that would want to be the clutch go to guys in their starting 5, does anyone reckon their could be resentment in this group if plays aren't called for certain players at the death?

I ask simply as this is a team with a lot of experienced players (5 players that will be 30 by the end of 2014) and yet they showed no leadership tonight.

Am I making too big a deal of this or wil it all be rectified when Dennis starts playing. I'm certainly not pointing fingers at Tomlinson that I am a huge fan of

Reply #494853 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Day 1 recap by PnR's Craig Rayner who is on the spot in Brisbane.

NBL Pre-Season Blitz tips off to packed house in Brisbane

The 2014 NBL pre-season Blitz has tipped off in front of a capacity crowd at NAB Stadium in Brisbane with Townsville and New Zealand emerging victorious from the opening matches. The 3-day tournament is being used not only for teams to ready themselves for the upcoming NBL season but also to gauge basketball interest in the Queensland capital with the possibility of a Brisbane team returning to the league next season.

Reply #494857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin won't work ? You have got to be kidding right
Both he and gladness punished the melbourne forwards in that second half with smart pick and roll play and good screens set for the wing players so they can get open

Reply #494858 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Teams have some unbelievable depth this year.

As a breaker fan I am excited. We are bringing Rhys Carter, Weasley, Ibekwe and Te Rangi off the bench - wow - talk about a really nice second unit.

ADL need a roster change asap. Every team is going to kill them on the boards. Agreed that Creek has reached his ceiling and his game doesn't translate to this level, end of. I think the problem was the fact he played as PF for the Emus..so he never really developed a perimeter game.

I think Melb will make their fans tear their hair out - they will have the same issues as last year - inconsistency. Theyl show glimpses here and there and have terrible quarters, halfs and games to back it up

Reply #494865 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Whats the capacity of the stadium they are using?

Im guessing around 2000 from the videos and pics, is that about right?

Reply #494866 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

melb probs is the coaching and attitude of core players still remains

Reply #494874 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

sorry jr23 calling bs on Conklin and Gladness not working together. Having two legit post targets on the floor is something the Crocs have almost never had.

As for Conklin not being mobile enough are you kidding, he ran the floor and led the break all year last year. He might not be an outside threat, but with Blanchfield, Holmes, Steindl and Henry all playing the big 6'7, 6'8 mobile forward role they have that more than covered.

Crocs definately weakest at pg last night with only Markovic and an inexperienced Djeric backing up, but with Norton hopefully back by the start of the Season that will help heaps.

Reply #494877 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Melbourne are no doubt talented but they have 4 new starters so may start off slow while the team gels.
NZ are obvious top 3.
Adelaide are obvious bottom 3.
I think Conklin will play better this year alongside Gladness, the crocs sorely missed a dominate centre last year.

Reply #494880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL TV is fantastic I say.!! Movie quality compared to the Blitz feed.

Reply #494888 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

@Baller#3 Capacity is well shot of 2000. It is probably around 1000.

Reply #494892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Day 1 didn't sell out.

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/4k23gh4iprlu1874js9i9mvhg

Reply #494896 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Yes it did. The article you've included makes no mention of day one/session one. Take it from someone who was there, it was every bit a sellout. Folks were being moved along the bleachers to ensure all got a seat.

Reply #494980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754