Top scorers

Cairns

Tragardh 22, Wilbekin 21, Loughton 13, Gliddon 12

Sydney

Perry 20, Ellis 18, Cadee 15, Madgen 15, White 10

Reply #495018 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Liked the look of Wilbekin. Sydney did well in this one considering they had no Childress, Garlepp, Duinker or Brandt.

Reply #495021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qtr time: Wildcats 30, Hawks 21

Reply #495022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats up 46-32 at half-time

Matthew Knight has injured his back

Reply #495024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats up 58-44 at 3-Qtr time

Reply #495026 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Wildcats win 79-60

Reply #495027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top scorers

Perth

Hire 11, Martin 11, Wagstaff 11, Redhage 10

Wollongong

Coenraad 21

Reply #495029 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Congrats to Townsville on winning the blitz.

Reply #495030 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Another unimpressive game by us(Perth) but atleast Ross, Fisher and the bench got some minutes to get the cohesion right. Ross as you can see is quality and needs time to adjust to the Cats gameplan.He'll be better come the regular season.The Knight back injury is nothng seriouse so that is a reliefe considering his history.

What I take away is our defence needs a fair bit of work but I do like the high/low post action where the feeder on top of the key looks to feed either the cutter or the postup player. U'u looked a a lot better in this game as well. Essentialy once we get our gun import(Danies) who probably wont be at his best for a few week after the lengthy layoff the depth is there so it'll come down to how much other teams have improved and by the looks of it, the Crocs, United and the Breakers will be very good. The Kings with Childress will be solid as will the Taipans.

Adelaide with Wilson finally given a free reign to run the team and tempo with Gibson, Petrie and Creek(in a fast paced team) will tough as well. It will be a tough league this season.

Reply #495031 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Perth and Melb to fight out for the top. Hawks and 6ers to fight for the spoon. Pretty even in the middle.

Reply #495036 | Report this post

nice to see a different team win the preseason cup. don't mind seeing wildcats lower than top 2.

Reply #495040 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Townsville could very well challenge for 4th spot this season

Reply #495049 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

How I see it post blitz
1: Perth
2: Melbourne
3: New Zealand
4: Townsville
5: Sydney
6: Cairns
7: Adelaide
8: Wollongong

It's going to be very close this season I think which is good for the League.

Reply #495052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For mine

1. Perth
2. Melbourne
3. New Zealand
4. Sydney

5. Townsville
6. Adelaide
7. Cairns
8. Wollongong

Reply #495053 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Swap Sydney and Cairns and I'm with Ganymede.

Reply #495054 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Crocs were the obvious surprise packet.

Really impressed with Jamar Wilson, looked a totally different player to his 2013/14 self.

Hawks were a major disappointment or maybe Perth and Adelaide are really good. Expected more from Carson and Ervin.

Hard to judge the Kings with so many key pieces out, but i think they'll be tough.

How long will Tregardh keep up his form?

Reply #495055 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Adelaide: Wilson looked really good the second game think he will thrive in an uptempo system and Montreal was solid. The main issue for them will be rebounding and size. I think they need Schenscher to step up for them to make the four.

Melbourne: McRae is a gun and they're a talented team. The only question is whether they have enough size down low on d I think they need to run and gun.

Cairns: Wilbekin and Tragardh were standouts. They look solid and their imports look better than last year. Do they have the star power though?

Townsville: Very impressed with them defensively, they used their length really well and I think Gladness is the best shot blocker I've seen since Simon Dwight. The only questions are their secondary ball handler against pressure and perimeter scoring. They need Steindl or Blanchfield to make a big jump this year which is possible.

Perth: Didn't look that great but wait till they get more games in and Daniels gets back and they should be near the top.

Wollongong: Was very disappointed in them this weekend. Their defence is shocking - yes Davidson will help but still. However never count them out as they have the best coach in the League.

Sydney: Did good this weekend considering how many players they had out. Perry looks the goods.

New Zealand: They've fixed their big man depth this year which was their main issue last year. 4 legit bigs who are starting caliber players in Vukona, Pledger, Ibekwe and Wesley. The main question is Guard depth if Jackson, Webster or Carter go down.

Reply #495058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gany had a good analysis. I'll just add a few thoughts of my own.

I think Wilbekin will grow into the "star" role for Cairns as the season goes on.

Perth obviously weren't going all out, I don't think the Blitz will in any way represent their performance when the season starts.

Vickerman plans to give small forwards Abercrombie and Te Rangi minutes at the shooting guard spot to give them a bigger and more athletic lineup. Also, if one of the Breaker's local guards go down, Kiwi's Everard Barlett, Kevin Braswell (naturalised) and Lindsay Tait are all unsigned heading into the season. For these reasons guard depth likely won't be a problem unless Te Rangi AND Abercrombie both prove to be unable to shoulder minutes at SG.

Reply #495061 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Braswell hasn't naturalized yet as far as I know. Has applied but nothing so far.

Reply #495065 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Although I was hoping for a better showing from the Hawks, I would caution against putting the Hawks last.

It is precisely such attitudes where the Hawks come out fighting with nothing to lose.

Reply #495079 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#TeamPnR's Crag Rayner provides a Day 3 recap where Townsville took the Blitz crown.

Townsville claim the 2014 NBL Pre-Season Blitz title

The Townsville Crocodiles have taken out this year's NBL Pre-Season Blitz in Brisbane courtesy of their 2-0 record with victories against Melbourne United and the New Zealand Breakers.

Reply #495081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754