Awesome news! For next season??

Reply #495063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2015

Reply #495066 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - 2015 will see Brisbane with a team in the NBL!

Another step in hopefully the right direction for the NBL.

Reply #495084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

article in SMH

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/brisbane-will-rejoin-nbl-next-season-after-lengthy-absence-20140921-10k3zd.html

good stuff

Reply #495098 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

Will the Bullets franchise be brought back? It would be a shame for them to sweep all that history and good will under the carpet and start from scratch. But I guess Melbourne United did it - and they probably think the name isn't family friendly enough for today's market.

Reply #495117 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I like that it has been announced early enough to now see how it develops over time, not just thrown together as an after thought...

Reply #495128 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont think they need to bring the Brisbane bullets back. They need to bring back a sustainable basketball Franchise. Sustainable. Not flash in the pan for 5-6 years years then dies a horrible death.

Id prefer if they picked a new name.

Reply #495163 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Well Matthew you obviously are not from Brisbane as most people up here are very familiar with the Bullets brand and want it back.

I don't think another name would get anywhere near as much publicity and I know a few Bullets legends would be very disappointed if they went with a different name.

Reply #495168 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I also hope that Pat Rafter arena is considered as an option for a few games.

Reply #495172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Bullets

and a better mid sized arena like Pat Rafter mentioned above

Reply #495191 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

hmm there goes our chances at retaining Gibbo past this year i would say

Reply #495205 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

How long are Joey and Gibbo contracted to the 36ers for??

Reply #495208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO money still in Brisbane. Expect the NBL to play for it.

Reply #495216 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

We shouldn't glorify gun violence by naming a team after something that kills people. Brisbane Wizards?

Reply #495222 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Rhys Martin probably eying a move back to his home state now I'd say.

Reply #495223 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Honestly I would be embarrassing to be supporting a team called the Wizards or even as a possible bid group said the Spartans.

Not many people associate a basketball team with death and violence anyway.

Reply #495225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno,

Pretty sure Joey signed a 3 year deal so one more year after this season and Gibbo re-signed to a 2+1 year deal prior to the start of last season so he will have an option for the 2015/16 season.

Reply #495226 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Ah ok, must admit was worried they would head back to Brisbane next season, looks like atleast Joey cant which hopefully means Gibbo also stays.

Reply #495227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Gibbo will head back to Tassie in the following season then.

Reply #495229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane

Bullets
Spartans
Thunder
Rollers
Blazers
Warriors
Stormers

Reply #495231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno,

Who knows Gibbo could leave after this season and I would assume if Joey wanted out of the final year of his deal the 36ers probably wouldn't hold him to it.

Reply #495232 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, who knows, heres hoping we have a good season and both are keen to stay.

Reply #495235 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Can't be Rollers thats the Aussie Wheelchair team name.

Brisbane Cane Toads !!

Reply #495236 | Report this post

mimas77  
Years ago

Annon, the Rollers name has been used previously in the NBL.

Gold Coast were known as the Rollers for about five years back in the 1990s.

Reply #495237 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Whatever they are called it will be great to see Brisbane back.
As a kid I remember Loggins, Moore and Rucker and would be happy with the bullets name.

Reply #495240 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

Fantastic to see a Brissie team are once again on the warpath to greatness (Bullets please!). I'll be there with season tix from the outset no matter name/arena. However...

I fear Rafter Arena would be a massive mistake though. It would all but doom the new venture to certain failure. Brisbane sports fans are incredibly fickle creatures and our summer evenings can be particularly brutal affairs. It's often still around the 30 degree mark late into the eve with humidity pushing 100%. I've been to a Bris Open night session and it's an abysmal experience. Why they didn't enclose the thing is beyond me.

The hardcore fan with happily mop their brow while drenched in sweat and sit there for a couple hours waving a fan in front of their face, but the success or otherwise of this venture is entirely dependent on attracting the casual fan.

People want to *escape* the heat, and two hours in an air conditioned theater for similar outlay is going to prove a far more enticing proposition for many I suspect.

First world problems and all I know, but it just wont work if people don't go.

Reply #495251 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Agreed, transport to PR Arena isn't great either. Then again Chandler is no better (perhaps worse) and apparently the rent on the BCEC is ridiculous. Then again, if the NBL is bankrolling this, maybe they'll be prepared to foot the bill for the sake of a central location for games near the CBD. This can obviously make a huge difference, as Perth Arena has shown and as Melbourne are hoping the move to Hisense will likewise when trying to attract the post-work rollup crowd.

Convention centre isn't the greatest Bball venue but I think if they're serious it's the best bet.

Reply #495266 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Not Shane Heal
Not Shane Heal
Not Shane Heal

Reply #495267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In this day of being alert but not alarmed i can't see the PC people allowing a team to use the term Bullets to promote themselves not matter how much history has gone before it.

Reply #495269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essendon are still known as the Bombers, Washington are the Red Skins and we all love the name All Blacks don't we?

Reply #495273 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

They didn't close the roof for Pat Rafter Arena because they wanted it to be an open air arena that would replicate the conditions of the Australian Open. Hopefully they can sort something out.

Is the BCEC around 4,000 seats?

Reply #495274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redskins is a never-ending controversy, though, and there are more examples in the US of names that have been changed for racial sensitivity reasons than names that have stuck.

I don't think the racial comparison is a good one, though, because Bullets is really only a violence issue. That's not a name that works for Washington because it's a city mired in gun violence. The same issue doesn't exist in Brisbane, and if 'Bullets' is the best way to draw a crowd, they should suck up the national PR concerns and do what's best for the team.

Reply #495275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about boomerangs...........they always come back !!!!

Reply #495276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We may not need to worry about the Bombers if things keep going along the way they are right now.

Reply #495278 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Yup, Convention Centre is approx 4000 for basketball. The venue layout works well enough, despite having not having a complete circle bowl around the court.

Name wise, considering the NBL/BBI itself was promoting the Blitz as "Brisbane Reloaded" on the arena staff shirts with a stylised bullet hole graphic on the "O", I can't see them having too much of an issue with the name.

Agree with above posters, Abe Polian got rid of the Bullets name for DC due to the fact that they had one of, if not the highest violent crime rate in the US during the mid-90's. Brisbane has no such issue as far as I'm aware of from 10+ years living here.

Reply #495285 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

It's a shame PR arena was built as an open air stadium. It would have been great for watch basketball with the 360 bowl.

Reply #495342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Boomers!

Don't tell me it's taken by the national team because they also use it in Melbourne!

Reply #495356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

initial 3 steps for sucess-
decide on the bullets name now
sign Bevo as coach
sign CJ bruton as his assistant

Get a development team up and running for the QBL comp

obvious targets for core players to sign at seasons end

R Martin
A Gibson
C Goulding
A petrie
L Neville

Reply #495359 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Wouldn't Gibson and Goulding be just as 'obvious' for the Tassie franchise?

I don't think there's any such thing as obvious players for a franchise in this professional era. You play where the money or situation is beast for you, then retire where you want to live.

Reply #495361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbons is out of contract at seasons end isn't he?
Perfect chance to go and play back home
Walker. Knight.

Reply #495363 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Article on brisbanetimes.com today regarding the Bullets return:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/basketball/cut-the-dribble--just-bring-back-the-bullets-20140923-10l1p8.html

Reply #495379 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

What I meant was Gibson and Goulding were both born in Tassie. I'm not sure how long they lived there.

Reply #495380 | Report this post

crocsfan  
Years ago

Goulding is a qlder, grew up in south side brisbane. Only born in tassie left as a toddler.

Gibson is a true bluetassie boy.

Also as far as names go, i think Brisbane needs a fresh start so no bullets. Perhaps Brisbane Giants? Brisbane Basketball Club? aka BBC, mascot a fun family orientated local animal.

Reply #495429 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Crocsfan why do you think that Brisbane needs a new start. I think that Brisbane needs to keep the Bullets name but I would like to hear your point of view.

Reply #495445 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Goulding left in his early teens or just before? Called himself a Tassie boy this year, but I imagine he would consider himself a bit of both. Certainly SE Qld is more of his adult home though.

Reply #495456 | Report this post

Zed  
Years ago

The team MUST be called the Bullets. Nothing else will be successful. Sydney tried to be clever with Spirit and released the error in a new name and went back to Kings. The Bullets are an icon...instant brand recognition, a foundation club, 3 championships, household names like Loggins and Kerle. It will be hard enough to get a foothold in the market against the other codes in Brisbane, why would anybody risk corporate support with a brand new team with no fanbase, no success and no history. With respect brand new teams don't have a habit of staying in the NBL for long.

Everybody I know want the team to be called the Bullets. In a SMH online poll asking for the publics opinion on the name of the team, over 80% said Bullets. Opposition fans want the Bullets.

If the team isn't called the Bullets it will be one of the worst decisions in the history of sport.

Reply #495472 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree it should be Bullets but if it wasn't I don't think it would be one of the worst decisions in the history of sport.

Reply #495478 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Particularly if the owner of the name (Grove's estate?) wants more than nominal money for it.

Reply #495484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's interesting @Zed, while I agree with your ideas it is exactly the opposite in Melbourne right now isn't it?

I wonder if the United will go the way of the Spirit??

Pun intend!

Reply #495495 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I ask all my friends who don't follow NBL and they can only name one team and that is the Brisbane Bullets. Even for non-basketball fans it is recognisable.

People outside of Queensland need to understand this.

Reply #495507 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

Just to clear up: Bullets 100% for the name!

Also, Sydney Spirit were actually the West Sydney Razorbacks. The Kings folded before that season began. So the Kings and Spirit were 2 separate franchises.

Once Sydney returned to the NBL, it was the Kings' franchise that entered.

Reply #495578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the name. With the NBL probably having to back them how will it all work?
How much will the NBL have to pay for the licence to fund them selves? Surely that's an unfair advantage to those others that want in. How much will their admin budget be? Player budget?

Name should be the last thing on their mind.

Reply #495596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754