Pud
Years ago

BA needs a policy for "Academies"

Does BA have an accreditation policy for all theses Academies that promise US College pathways and charge the world?

Topic #35496 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. BA can barely administer themselves........there it self lies your answer.

Reply #495131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All these academies are just money making ventures, but if you can afford them and your not getting the looks with the elite pathways of BA then I suppose they could be your answer, a lot are happening out of Australia so BA would have no control anyway

Reply #495134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buyer beware. Research, compare. Make informed decision.

Nothing wrong with the academies. Just make informed decisions what you spend your money on.

I've tried to help kids get to college (I didn't charge) and it's actually a lot of work and I don't claim to be an "expert" on it.

You need to understand the rules regarding eligibility which are complex to say the least, prepare a well researched resume that the US school recruiters understand, motivate and support the kid to contact schools and maintain their grades, get them to do their SATs and register with clearinghouse, develop a video scout and develop and maintain contacts to open up doors. THese academies also offer skill and basketball development too in some cases. Why shouldn't they charge for this? Too many expect a free ride in Australian basketball because it is mostly run by amazing volunteers.

Having said that any academy that tells you they have more of a chance getting your kid to college by paying big bucks to them - beware. Ultimately it comes down to the athlete. Just do your research first before you pay.

I've heard of one organisation offering ridiculously named "college preparation sessions" which were targetting kids who had no game and using this guise to make money. I'm sure the sessions were fine but don't false market them!

Reply #495140 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Parents and players simply need to do their research, not blame others.

Of course people are going to do the hard sell on their "academies" and "programs" alike, they are trying to make a living from it. Take a used car salesman for example, they are never going to tell you the car you're about to buy is a lemon, right?

Not making excuses for the academies or programs, as some of them are simply rubbish, that being said there are some good ones out there also.

Just need to do the research my friend.

Reply #495146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might want to research how manykids missed the BA pathways as juniors and were not involved for whatever reasons. Some of our biggest stars received their own training outside of the usual BA/BV/BSA pathways as youngsters.

There is a place for academies and private trainers.

It should be regulated but where do you start?

I agree with posts above. Buyer beware, do your research and ask around!

Reply #495192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no policy from BA it would be bad timing as I am about to launch my very own EASY MONEY MAKING SCHEME er I mean academy.

I'm doing so to charge the hell out of the morons oops sorry that should read "PARENTS" to develop, scratch that should be GIVE FALSE HOPE to youngsters developing their skills well not really more like SKILLS THAT WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR ELITE PATHWAYS... lol suckers

Reply #495198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You realise a few of our all time best players were not "good enough" for elite pathways as juniors?

Great argument.

Reply #495202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really, who?

Reply #495211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

202, exactly the kind of uninformed crap that gets prattled off by these profiteers. Don't get involved in the countries pathways but pour your money into our "academy". So many kids/parents that weren't good enough to make it getting sucked in with false promises. Sure, go to these academies but do your research and DO NOT attend academies at the expense of throwing away opportunities in the sport. If they make false promises or try to rubbish the legitimate pathways in this country then stay well away!

Who in the past decade? Bogut, Mills, Maric, Delli, Simmons, Baynes, Exum all played at state level and/or had ais scholarships. The Australia HP is world renowned, just go to Europe and speak to basketball people over in the system over there. Even in the US they are loving the character, intelligence or Australian kids. Talk to the NBA scouts about it. Yea sure they like kids in the college system but the way the US develops young kids is currently coming unstuck. Why does Pop select so few US kids?

The biggest problem with the US is the uncontrolled, hype and false promises around AAU and touring teams and now because of the massive amount of kids heading over there that is creeping into our system here.

Reply #495214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and add Maker to that list too!

Reply #495215 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some relatively simple and quick advice is available on PnR in how to prepare for college.

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball

Academy type programs have their place, and yes they provide a service and charge for that service. They do provide help on and off the court, and for the right situation they can help an athlete reach their goals.

Reply #495247 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

FIFA released its own regulations on private academies last year, only because many were attempting to claim compensation for developing young talent.

Not sure if FIBA has a similar solidarity and training compensation model.

Reply #495254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These "tours" are everywhere now, the basic domestic team can go on a tour to play some organised games in USA if they gave the money to pay, but the standard they play is often worse than their own. They are sold on the hype that "they will be seen" but by who is the question, it's all about money.

Reply #495256 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Libertine, that's an interesting point you make about FIFA. I wasn't aware of it and it answers the OP's question better than other posters.

It also poses some questions about how FIFA has managed to control or manage such programs in soccer and if in fact it is working?

Whether BA or FIBA is best placed to do so with basketball is also a question for consideration, but whether it is in fact needed is the key. We are talking about businesses set up to make a profit first and foremost are we not?

That being the case, free trade should exists, however rules and controlling measures to check on the quality and validity of such businesses should also be important for consideration...

If such businesses are becoming prevalent, FIBA needs to be aware of the potential dangers from those who promote themselves falsely and the damage they can do without some form of industry regulation.

Reply #495260 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

FIFA asks its Associations (ie FFA) to control it and abide by the Regulations. Failure to do so may see an Association sanctioned financially (or worse).

FIBA works within the same Swiss Association Law model. It is easy (on paper) to create some Regulations with the consultation of the basketball Associations.

The stick that can be swung ($$$, potential ban from tournaments etc) makes it in the best interests to Associations to abide by the Regulations and enforce them.

Reply #495283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754