Anonymous
Years ago

2014 VC Grand Final Results

I heard that Melbourne won, but who played well and did anything excitng happen?

Topic #35500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/18 boys this is...

Reply #495185 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Already a thread covering this mate

Reply #495212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like somebody from the Melbourne boys program are fishing for a compliment,,, how about under 18 girls Southern Peninsula beat Bulleen of a spectacular grand final in the last minute of the game by 5 points.

Under 16 girls grand final - to legend coaches Ray Tomlinson and Gary Fox. Gary Fox with Bulleen rushed to an early lead and never looked back. Great game for Bulleen whose defence looked to have all the answers for Melbourne.

Under 14 girls, OMG it was a Bulleen win again. Very tough tight competition with the lead changing a couple of times in the last quarter – a great game to watch.

Sorry didn't watch any of the boys

Reply #495221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12.1 boys Dandenong by 2 points.great game
Under 20 boys Dandenong won against Sandy great game.

Reply #495294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 girls went Dandenong.

Reply #495295 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Dandenong U/18 girls didn't make VC, they won VC reserve.

Reply #495304 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne 18 boys very talented. Coached themselves never listened to DC all year. Just as well.

Reply #495306 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

That's correct Melbourne won one VC final and they also lost one VC final in 2014.

Considering they had 6 teams in VC finals in 2013 for 3 Winners its a significant drop in success for the Tigers.

This Tigers U18 Boys team (when U14) was the reason VJBL Clubs had the rules changed to introduce restrictions on the number of Player Clearances to a single team several years ago.

I'd say its a VJBL Rule which looks like it has worked the way it was intended - that is to stop Clubs from building super strong teams by getting players from other clubs.

Reply #495320 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@VP you know your history I see, that is correct and it was always going to be a good rule. I can't see anything but positives coming from that one...

Reply #495323 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Actually watched the U18 Boys game Friday night at SBC and thought it was going to be a great game but was very disappointed.

Owies was a class above all others - clearly too good for this level of competition. Probably should have followed Wilson & DJ and go play senior championship ball only.

Would have been a different result without him I believe. The game didn't get interesting until the last 5 minutes of the game when Dandy finally put the pressure on the Tigers & played more individual on offence coming back from 20 down to just 6 points before Tigers steadied to win by 13.

The U14 Girls VC Final was a very good game between Bulleen & Dandenong - the game had a number of momentum changes in the game with many lead changes throughout which made it interesting from start to finish to watch.

I was probably most impressed by the Eltham U12 Boys VC Reserve team early in the night. The way they played with patience & poise - use of screens & cuts & dribble screens & handoffs - excellent ball movement & hitting shots from both inside & outside the key - really defied their age. Played with confidence & were very well Coached.

Reply #495333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VP & Bear

Good Rule? For who, the players or the clubs that can't attract players. I think a lot of clubs that voted on this rule did so to protect their own little patch. Clubs should look at what they offer their players in the way of a FULLY IMPARTIAL SELECTION PROCESS, quality of coaching & skill development and ensure they offer the best programs that truly develop players. That way kids will want to play there.

It would be interesting to see the statistics related to kids who stop playing Rep basketball or move clubs with regards to why? That would be a truly interesting Stat line.

I have first hand experience of a child that couldn't make one of 6 teams at one club then makes a VC team at another club which plays in the Classic & Championship Finals.

Players leave clubs for a variety of reasons. I would say predominantly because they are unhappy where they are, unhappy with the coach, what team they have been selected in or the opportunities they get (read: don't get) and move for more opportunities. Who wants to travel to far flung venues to sit on the bench for most of each game? A large problem is club's & Coaches win at all cost mentality. If there was a way to implement minimum game time for each player, I'm sure not as many players would want to move. It might even make the competition more even.

Let's face it most of the State team players come from the best 4 or 5 teams in VC.

At a lot of clubs there are far too many politics at play with favours bestowed upon certain individuals or the children of coaches, team managers, committee members, etc or players from certain domestic clubs. I have seen first hand the shocking behavior of parent's to get their child into a certain side or get extended game time. I would say that the selection process at most clubs is tainted in one way or another.

So if you're not getting the rub of the green at a club, who can blame kids for changing?

Reply #495440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one blames kids for changing, and the rule doesn't stop them doing that. It stops clubs fielding teams composed substantially of kids who were at another club the season before.

I can't believe you're opposed to a rule limiting transfers to one team but in favour of mandatory minimums for court time. You're also one of those 'pro-life' and 'pro-death penalty' people, aren't you?

Reply #495443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes kids don't make first teams for lots of reasons some genuine some ridiculously political. The thing is it's more parents that have the issue regarding where there kids play, most kids just want to get out there and have a go, so if that means they take a spot in a second or third team but get minutes as opposed to making a first side and getting splinters from warming the bench, parents need to stop and think what is the best for their child's development. Especially when they are in the un12/14 and bottom age 16s.

Reply #495479 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks @anonymous for your post. The rule doesn't prevent any of the things you have posted, so still remains a good rule in my books, cheers...

Reply #495498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also saw 18 VC Final VP is right - Dandenong were better team

Owies was good but was playing for the MVP Didnt really give the ball up at all and shot it every time ?Point guard!

Was low scoring suggesting defence was more of a factor than offence Melbourne did have very good defence but probably not noticed by many

Dandenong played good team game Came back in last few minutes through hard work Had there chances but in the last minutes melboure seemed more settled (and not just owies)

As for wilson and dj didnt they go to AIS rather than choose to play senior champ bball only!

Reply #495545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owies was steady. Not his best game and I'm sure he'd admit that. It certainly was nowhere near the level of his his last two games. But geez give him a break, he's a kid. Even professionals have up & down games.

Yes, Wilson and DJ went to the AIS this year. They played Grading Phase 1 with the Tigers.

Both played SEABL with the AIS team this year.

Reply #495599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754