Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut slams Exum's critics

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-slams-critics-of-nba-youngster-dante-exum-20140925-10m40j.html

Totally agree with him. I've seen a fair few people call him a bust already and he hasn't even played 1 minute in the NBA!

The kid definitely has a lot to work on with his game but writing him off because he didn't average 20/10 in 12 bloody minutes of play in the WC is ridiculous.

Topic #35526 | Report this topic

Darryl  
Years ago

He is just 19. The criticism is over the top.
Would give him a couple of seasons in the NBA before judging. Even in Rio he will only be 21.

Reply #495570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are any media really criticising him? I saw notes that he was ranked below lower picks by someone, but that's fair enough. Not worth slamming.

Reply #495576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the criticism has come from personal opinions which everyone is entitled too, but that came from the huge hype again from personal opinion that was given prior to his draft pick. He's a kid leave him be, he will either prove them wrong or prove them right, but let him be and do it on his own Merit, not the opinion of others.

Reply #495581 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

At the end of the day, a lot of what they have been saying is factual (i.e he hasn't been playing against exactly tough comp, his jump shot isn’t where it needs to be, he struggles with playmaking (had more TOs than assists at SL) and his overall shooting % etc).

Bleacher Report had a Stud/Duds article the other day and he was listed as a dud (but note this is only for the rookie year). A lot of media do think he has skills and potential and could be a great player, just not his rookie year. So don’t just pick and choose the bad they say - they actually rate his long term prospects.

People are always quick to say "haters" – I struggle to see how someone can be a hater if a media outlet is releasing factual content and in any event, they do rate him and his long term chances.

Reply #495582 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Rightly so. There's too many people (plenty on this site) that have already written him off, some comparing him to Andrew Gaze at the same age which is ridiculous. He's 19, let him play and develop his game. Every player has a different development curve, just because he's not the next coming of John Stockton, doesn't mean he's a dud.

Reply #495586 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

To be fair Bleacher Report isn't really a credible source. At the end of the day Utah have invested in Exum so obviously they believe in him as a player. Once he has a few years behind him and has adjusted to the style of play then you will start to see his full potential.

Reply #495625 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whether or not BR is credible is irrelevant.

They have laid down facts. Doesn't matter who says it when its true.

Reply #495643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just BR. I've seen a lot of people on the internet label him a bust already due to his play in SL and the WC. Even some Jazz fans have started to make the claim.

It's ridiculous considering -

1. SL doesn't mean anything. Lots of NBA stars were less than impressive in their first SL.

2 - In the WC he played 12 minutes a game and was no way near being the first option. From what i've gathered people were expecting him to start, play 30 minutes a game and average 20/10 because 'Australia didn't have any other good players' (a comment i've seen a few times from foreigners).

Reply #495652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754