Isaac
Years ago

Pre-season: Taipans vs Hawks, Sep 26

Taipans won 96-72 continuing a rough pre-season for Wollongong. Hawks were missing Davidson and import Carson.

Cairns: Loughton 21, Wilbekin 20, Weigh 13, Tragardh 10
Wollongong: Coenraad 15, Demos 13, Ballinger 12, Ervin 10

Boxscore

Taipans put up 37 3PA to the Hawks' 15!

Turnover count was 2-10!

Topic #35532 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I hope Carson and Davidson make a speedy recovery because the Hawks really need a break.

Hawks struggle every year and now that someone is willing to inject money in the team I hope they get a fair crack at success.

Reply #495622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Marcus for your invaluable input.

Reply #495623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be just me but Ervin with 10 points and just 2 assists - that's not going to cut it
Not sure the 2 point guards experiment works and they still haven't addressed the rebounding problems of last year -

Reply #495641 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon talked about how he wanted a starting position and was a little overzealous in his expectations of what the club should do for him IMO.

All of a sudden theres Wilbekin, Sobey (who i really rate!), Maynard all capable guards.

Gliddon is in for a battle this year. Good competition for Fearne.

Reply #495653 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

My wife went to the game and said Ervin was really good, setting up a lot of plays, everywhere, so maybe the statistics didn't tell the full story, or the statisticians missed a few.

Reply #495658 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I reckon Gliddon will come in to this season a little selfish. He's already shown a bit of reluctance to pass already this pre-season

Reply #495666 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Assists are counted on the last pass before the score so yes a lot of work from outside can be missed and creating space by drawing the player is always missed along with any defensive shut downs a player may be involved in as well, which Erivin is an active participant of. Stats are not the be all and end all of basketball.... You need to watch the game to see who pays well.. Someone can post 30 points and be really crap at the defensive and and a team can still lose due to that scorer creating holes in a defensive structure. Happens all the time in junior basketball where the kids that defend and work the mid floor are never recognised for their contribution and it is always about the ball hog !!!

Reply #495671 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Worried that Craig might not work out? Early days yet and I like his athleticism but 2/11 shooting? Similar to his second game at the Blitz.

Reply #495674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said after the Blitz I don't expect either Torrey Craig or Jahii Carson to last the season.

Reply #495675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assists are counted on the last pass before the score. Yes but its not just the simple pass that gives someone a score that's credited with an assist.

Reply #495679 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

lets not forget that this time last year the Gong got smash and Rotnei looked ordinary..... I don't think the absence of Davidson is helping them at all, size and efficency seemed to be their biggest problem last night.

What I've seen since the Blitz and last night looks good as far as Taipans cohesion goes. They seem much more polished than this time last year and a lot more 'natural' - if that makes any sense.

Wilbekin is an outstanding talent and I think Craig just needs a bit more time to get used to the ref style and game flow. Writing him off now is..... premature...... again look at Rotnei last year.

Proof will be in the pudding though - bring on game 1 of the season!

Reply #495682 | Report this post

GTS  
Years ago

Snakes up at half time tonight 42 -26
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/44205/11/78/96/37BKkuczHh4g/

Reply #495683 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Speak of the devil, Craig is 4/6 at half time and is having an excellent game.

Ervin has his cranky pants on too......

Reply #495684 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Hello... Ervin 9 assists…..

Reply #495685 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Geez what is going on with the Hawkies? I'm worried.

Reply #495691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack of depth hurting the hawks again this year - if only they could add luke Nevill
That would make such a difference

Reply #495694 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

A couple of comments re: Gliddon and Craig are a bit off the mark.

@MACDUB - Gliddon is already a starter and was last season's team MVP. He and Wilbekin will be the main ball carriers. Whilst Maynard, Bruce and Sobey provide some good back up they will mostly be competing for game time amongst themselves rather than putting a lot of heat on Gliddon for game time.

@Anonymous #495675 - your confidence that Craig won't last the season is somewhat misplaced I feel. Fearne publicly stated after the Blitz that he was very pleased with both his imports and he is not a coach who is inclined to cut imports. Craig looks a good all round player to me and is a good fit for the team.

Reply #495708 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Spot on Twinkle.

Reply #495728 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I don't think Fearne has cut an import since he's been head coach in the League

Reply #495729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arizona Reid

Reply #495732 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Fearne not cutting import = cairns can't afford to cut import and replace them

Reply #495733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, they only cut Reid due to the perceived PR fallout from his drink driving incident

Reply #495734 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

You can cut an import 90 days into their contract without financial consequences

Reply #495735 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Yeah the point I was trying to make is Fearne hasn't cut an import due to oncourt reasons - he mentioned it last year. Whether that's due to money is another question.

Reply #495738 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think the public response would be it's about loyalty but I'm sure the reality is they can't afford to cut imports because there is no other money to replace them.

Reply #495755 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Again, it doesn't cost money to replace imports in the first 90 days of their contract

Reply #495759 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Whilst lack of money would be a factor, Fearne stated he does not like cutting imports because he feels it is too disruptive and he also said the solution to not having to do this is to do the research about who you are getting in the first place.

Reply #495760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be that the Hawks are missing Davidson a bit - replacing him with Ballinger who is new to their system.

Reply #495762 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I think that has a lot to do with it Issac.

The Hawks rise and fall on Davidson's shoulders, can't see Balls having that same impact.

Reply #495796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754