Aus Indigenous V NZ Maori

Found this through Basketball NZ facebook
Burger King New Zealand Maori Kauri V Coles Australian Indigenous Invitational

Both the McDowell-White Boys played

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/45490/12/77/80/49krLrNhvpiwM/

Topic #35540 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcdowell-white seems to have gone to another level since his adidasnations experience

Reply #495688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice, but pardon my ignorance, I know what an indigenous Aussie is but how do you know who is Maori and who isn't? Serious question, is it those born into Maori tribes or from original Maori parents?

The culture of Maori appears to be well known among almost all Kiwis I come across, yet here in Aus we know little about our Aboriginal culture. I don't know a Kiwi who does not know the Hakka for example, so good on NZ for teaching their culture in the schools!

Reply #495702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The culture of Maori appears to be well known among almost all Kiwis I come across, yet here in Aus we know little about our Aboriginal culture. I don't know a Kiwi who does not know the Hakka for example, so good on NZ for teaching their culture in the schools!"

Mainstream Australian awareness of Indigenous culture could certainly be better, but remember that Maori culture is much more of a singular culture than Indigenous Australian culture, i.e. one language, Haka etc., so awareness and integration into mainstream culture is easier. Indigenous Australian culture is much more diverse with many different nations and languages and dialects within it. Still I agree Australian awareness should be better.

On the game, I think it's a mighty fine effort by the Australians to beat a team that had Tall Blacks Everard Bartlett and Lindsay Tait in it. Especially when we had Darryl White suit up, who if I'm not mistaken is the same Darryl White who is a long retired AFL player and the father of the McDowell-White boys.

Reply #495707 | Report this post

BA seriously  
Years ago

Surely Dad Daryl White wasn't playing?

I see the name there though - coincidence?

Reply #495709 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's Darryl Jr.

Darryl the Bears/Lions AFL player's son, and William's older brother.

Reply #495716 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Oh shit I read that boxscore wrong...the father White did play by the looks of it..

That's crazy.

Reply #495717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's Jr.

This is the squad:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152413716932852&set=a.10150286063347852.333920.503912851&type=1&theater

Reply #495720 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon Snr,Jnr and Will played. Their father is in the photo with them.

Reply #495722 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

aussies did have cedar and george too though! great concept! should have had more publicity (hate to rant on about this sort of thing- but it's TRUE|). Could have even be a warm-up game for the Blitz or something like that- massive pump up, the rivalry etc!!! oh well, next time Basketball AustraliaNBL

Reply #495741 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Looks like the Maori team had two of the coaches sons in it!? I'm sure they could have put a better squad together than that one..

Reply #495751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell,

Considering the 2 games are in NZ I'm not sure what BA/NBL should do to promote it. Next year the games are proposed for Australia, and maybe then they can get involved.

Reply #495758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BA should still be talking about this on social media. Keeps people talking about basketball and can only encourage adoption of the sport amongst more potential players.

Reply #495761 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

Yeah, it'd be great to see this better promoted, particularly off the back of Mills' success.

Reply #495967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754