Bort
Years ago

Question for the refs

Watching a game Friday night & wasn't to sure on something that happened.

Team was in offence and got fouled in the key after grabbing an o rebound, after the foul he shot the ball & it went in. Shot was waived away. Foul was before the shot, that's fine. The ref then gave the ball to the offensive team on the sideline instead of the bassline, he told the coach the reason it is a side ball is because he had to waive the shot away.

Is this correct? To me the foul occured near the basline so that's where the ball should of been inbounded from.

Topic #3555 | Report this topic

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

no, the ref was correct. When ever you cancel a basket, the ball must be inbounded from the sideline (foul line extended).

Reply #41220 | Report this post

Bort  
Years ago

Cool, thanks! They say you learn something new everyday & I guess this was mine for the day.

Reply #41223 | Report this post

miracles  
Years ago

hmmm mine too

Reply #41228 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Ball goes to the side (at the foul line extended). This further indicates that the basket does not count!

Reply #41243 | Report this post

Fellas  
Years ago

3 second rule - everyone always yells for 3 seconds but the refs neva call this.

do people know why the rule is hardly ever enforced

Reply #41592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the rule says there has to be an advantage before it is called. It's not as simple as someone stands in there, 1-2-3 call 3 seconds. Which a lot of people think it is.

Also the count doesn't start until the ball is over the half way line, the ball is in play and it resets on every shot which people dont seem to know.

Reply #41594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 seconds and travel two of the most misunderstood rules around

but every arm chair critic seems to know how to call them or should I say HOW they believe they should be called.

Reply #41604 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Plus the rule states that the player must be in the key for MORE than 3 seconds.

Reply #41605 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

A player shall NOT remain in the opponents' restricted area for MORE than three (3) consecutive seconds while his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.

Allowances must be made for a player who:
* Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.
* Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and the ball is leaving or has just left the player's hand(s) on the shot for a field goal.
* Dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there for less than three (3) seconds.

To establish himself outside the restricted area, the player must place both feet on the floor outside the restricted area.

(THESE RULES ARE ACCORDING TO FIBA)

Reply #41638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754