Isaac
Years ago

ABL Final Round Preview

On Friday night, we have two games -- a critical match-up between West and Eastern. On the womens' table, they're 5th and 6th -- which way did the regular season results fall?

On the men's table, they're level on 9 wins and a win means finals action.

Hillcrest might be the quiet night out -- in the men's game, neither team has a chance at making the finals. In the women's game, North will want the win against Norwood because things are tight between North and South.

On Saturday night, Centrals host the Warriors. For the girls, it's a bottom-of-the-ladder game. For the guy's, Woodville will need a win (and a Sturt loss at M'Vale) to snatch second position on the ladder.

At Wayville, Forestville have top spot wrapped up, but face a desperate South team who can still make the finals. The girls game will impact finals positions also.

And well out of town, Southern will meet the visiting Sabres. First up, the Tigers girls can't make the finals, but could mess with Sturt's end position. In the second game, the Sturt men need to arrest a worrying slide against Southern who are no chance for the finals, but will be happy to spoil others' plans regardless -- a Sturt loss means they could miss the chance at a home final.

Any thoughts on how it will all pan out?

Topic #3557 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm thinking in the Men's

- Eastern will knock of West in a close match. Eastern by 3.
- North to beat Norwood. With the Flames shooting 32% from the field for the game
- Centrals will knock of Woodville by 10
- Forestville will rip South a clean one at Wayville (Sorry Panther)
- Sturt to end there losing streak against the Tigers and go into the finals full of confidence.

In the Womens

- Eastern to beat West by 8
- North to come up trumps by 12
- Centrals women to try but Woodies being way to strong winning by 26
- Eagles to beat the Tigers by 12 or so
- I'm going to go with an upset and the Tigers to win by 4

Reply #41231 | Report this post

my thought  
Years ago

Eastern vs West
MEN & WOMEN : Think will Westies will use home court advantage and win both
North vs Norwood
MEN: North
WOMEN: Norwood to upset the lady Rockets
Centrals vs Woodville
MEN: Woodville
WOMEN: Centrals to get their first W in a very physcal and emotional game
Forestville vs South
MEN: South to win in an emotion charged back up from last weeks shattering loss to Woodville
WOMEN: South guns to fire and cement 2nd spot on the ladder (1st if my prediction for the Norwood upset of North are true)
Tigers vs Sturt
MEN & WOMEN: Sturt to win both game comfortably

Reply #41269 | Report this post

woodville  
Years ago

if you think centrals women are going to beat woodville you have to be the biggest joke out there. You are dreaming! Considering woodville only lost to Eastern by nine points when Eastern were playing with their whole team.

Reply #41281 | Report this post

In the men:

Westies will win by 15-20.
Norwood to beat North by 7 in a lacklustre game.
Woodville to beat Centrals by 13
South to beat Forestville by 2
Sturt beating Southern by 30 +

Reply #41287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar is going to come back from Melbourne absolutely exhausted and you can bet that the Tigers will know that.

Reply #41292 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Isaac,

On that matter, last night's World Sports on SBS had some vision of the Boomers Camp, as well as Interviews (well snippets anyway) of BG & Jason Smith, talking about the young guys. Unfortunately, the only vision I saw of Oscar was Saville hitting a 3 in his face & him missing a base line j.
That said, they looked to be working pretty hard, as BG doesn't expect to have too many big names available for the Oceania Series against NZ. Almost sounded like he was making excuses in case the Kiwi's beat us. Advatnage he has, is that the top 2 from Oceania will qualify for next World Champs.

Reply #41298 | Report this post

my thought  
Years ago

Hey Woodville, why dont you relax a little.. its just a friggin prediction not the end of Woodvilles club history, just relax.
And anyway, good luck going on who beat who this year to place your tips...
Eastern beat South, but South beat top placed North and previously unbeaten Sturt (twice)
North are ladder leaders and lose to 3rd placed Sturt by THIRTY POINTS
Eastern lose to Norwood by 9 points and then beat Forestville by 1 point..

Like I said, its just a prediction.. I am going on its a Lions home game, last game of the year, desperately want a win, and for some it may be an emotional last game ... good luck to the Lionesses I say!! KICK SOME WARRIOR BUTT!

Reply #41299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ShutUp, yeah, I don't think anyone's pretending that he's not at the lower end of the squad (and I know that he doesn't have unrealistic hopes of what he's trying to achieve) and he is competing with Saville and Holmes for the most part. Going up against Saville for a week wouldn't be easy!

There is something on OzHoops from someone who watched one of the sessions - says that Greg Vanderjagt, Oscar and Luke Martin are out of their depth (both Oscar and Martin copping some Goorjian fury), that CJ Bruton is under-performing, Jason Smith not doing heaps, and Wade Helliwell not being very aggressive. They talked up Brad Davidson and Mark Worthington and a couple of others.

No word about Jacob -- was there any footage of him that you saw?

Let's hope both of them come back alive!

Reply #41306 | Report this post

Years ago

Anyone tipping Sturt men to beat the Tigers by 30+ must have some issues.

Tigers are in reasonable form over the last 5 and with wins over West & Norwood and close losses to Eastern & F'Ville I'm going with an upset of the struggling Sabres

Tigers by 5 the cage will be alive!

Reply #41430 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Surt Vs Tigers women both teams missing players. Sturt has a lot of talent as a club should have no problem with the Bowley sisters and co getting the job done. Tiger girls have put up some surprising games this year and the young team is always up for a challange. They have taken it to some very good teams above them this year. Could be a good game or a blow out depends on how the tigers girls play.

Reply #41438 | Report this post

EAT IT!!!!!!  
Years ago

yeah bizzy, your so biast its not funny. your kidding yourself

Reply #41468 | Report this post

s  
Years ago

Woodville's no. 1 fan - granted Woodville women may notch their third win for the season on Saturday night, but if you think it's going to be a walk in the park, then it would be you who is the biggest joke out there.

Reply #41481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the Blue army will be there to support both the teams this week.

Reply #41524 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What you mean biased EAT IT??

Reply #41563 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Bizzy

"Eagles to beat the Tigers by 12 or so
- I'm going to go with an upset and the Tigers to win by 4"

I don't think the Eagles will beat the Tigers by 12, as they are not playing them.

Reply #41571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Come on, they're all cats...

Reply #41572 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Sabres, Lions, Tigers, Bearcats, and Panthers. That would make a interesting finals five.

"CAT FIGHT"

Reply #41573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cosmic BOWLEY Alignment has less bearing then previous seasons on the finals chances of the respective teams, however i felt it worth pointing out a few area's of interest.

The Sabres women have come off a demolition of the league leading Rockets and would want to go into the finals with more of the same. The Tigers did however suprise the Eagles last week with some quality basketball. If the Tigers girls can bring that same form this week, it might just give the game some impetuous.

For the men, the Sabres are on a sickening slide and must be concerned, particularly with arch rivals the Eagles in such good form. Despite recent results, the Tigers are no push over and with Oscar returning from a hard week on the track with the Boomers will fatigue be a factor???

If the Tigers can keep it close they may find themselves in a position to run away with it in the final quarter.

Finally, could the Cosmic BOWLEY Alignment becoming permanent next season?

Reply #41581 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

sorry - have to point out that the correct spelling is "impetus". assault, impetus, from impetere to attack, from in- + petere to go to

Reply #41670 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate, you must be busy if all you do is scan each post for spelling or grammatical errors... Most people on here would have no idea what impetus means let alone the correct spelling...

Reply #41674 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

oh, and by the way, CanIHaveItInASentance, you've spelt your handle wrong - it should be "sentence".

Also, I've done more than 1 lazy post by some guy who wants to have a go at someone who values literacy standards highly. :P

Reply #43142 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754