Baller#3
Years ago

NBA team vs NBL all stars?

Wouldn't it be great to see an NBL all star team play a game against an NBA team just before the season started? I think it would hype the league up immensely. Thoughts?

Obviously hold the match in either sydney or melbourne. Think we could easily get 20 thousand out

Topic #35600 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Obviously hold it in Perth. They deserve to host it.

Reply #496742 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I doubt it would get 20,000 there.

If an NBA team did come here they would only play their bench/training squad players. Also only a weak club would consider coming here. Therefore the appeal would not be that high.

Reply #496760 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think we would definitely get 20,000 and yes they often don't play the stars as many minutes but for a trip like this they would still play some minutes unless they are injured.

It would be in any organisations interest to come down here and gain fans. A partner ship between the NBL and an NBA team could help both. The NBA team would gain much of Australia as fans, while the NBL would gain financially and by increasing interest in the game. Its a win win.

Reply #496765 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not true @KingJames.

Look at the last few years of pre-season exhibition games in Europe: the NBA teams generally play full squads.

Reply #496766 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Tend to agree, why would they come to Aus to promote the NBA with only bench players, no sense in it?!

Reply #496774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA would want a near 20k capacity stadium to host a game.

Therefore Sydney Superdome would get it.

Reply #496788 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yes, It would have to be in Sydney

Reply #496811 | Report this post

DC  
Years ago

If you could get a big team there's no reason you couldn't put a court on etihad stadium and have 50,000 people there, imagine a Spurs vs Cavs game there.

Reply #496814 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Surely if the soccer can fill the McG then the NBA can get 20 thou... I for one would be going. If they ended up doing that lockout tour a few years back I was 100% going to go!

Reply #496836 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah I would prefer it in Perth, but would fly over to Sydney for it without hesitation.

Reply #496872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt they would do the outdoor bball setup, the logistical nous for it in Aus is non existent unless they flew over US experts

you would keep it in a traditional stadium, let's face it anything else is a risk when it comings to bball in Aus they (NBL) can barely do good promotions during a game like the yanks do

Reply #496929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is strong enough for its champion club or host club to play an NBA team.

Look at when NBA go to Europe it's a local national league side vs NBA side, unless the play in UK then it's NBA vs NBA because pommy basketball is of a low standard

even now in Brazil the Suns are playing Flamengo

NBL and Aus basketball is good enough to not have a crappy all-star team which will have no chemistry

either NBL vs NBA team or NBA vs NBA for Australia imo

Reply #497050 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I like that idea anon^, and what's more I would go, even if it was Melbourne United against an NBA team I would buy a ticket, maybe three......??!

Reply #497093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754