Steven
Years ago

WNBL Pre-Season Tournament 2014/15

Schedule of games has been made available. Along with Pricing.

http://www.bendigostadium.com.au/Pages/Events/271-WNBL_Spring_Shield.aspx

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/spring-shield-to-hit-bendigo

Topic #35603 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think Basketball Australia might actually get out and do some marketing for this. Unfortunately nothing on the BA website. Nothing on most of the WNBL club websites, which are run by BA. Of course nothing in the potential market area from Basketball Victoria.

Could be one of the biggest reasons why the NBL pulled the pin from Basketball Australia.

Reply #496888 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

But the NBL have nothing on their site about the opening round either this weekend...

Reply #496896 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Take a look at the lightning. You would think they no longer exist

Reply #496916 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Kristi Harrower won't be playing, decision due by next week on her playing.

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/harrower-decision-to-be-made-next-week

Reply #496963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they wonder why they can't get the crowds to basketball

Reply #496968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dandenong Jayco Rangers are thrilled to announce the signing of Cappie Pondexter for the 2014/15 WNBL season. The signing of Pondexter was brought about by the unfortunate injury to Australian Opals star Liz Cambage who was set to join the Rangers for this season.
Pondexter was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury at pick 2 in the WNBA 2006 draft and has been a superstar ever since. Over her career, she has averaged an amazing 18.5ppg, 4rpg and 4.2apg and is well known as a big game player stepping up her averages significantly when it comes to the playoffs where she averages 21.1ppg, 4.3rpg and 4.7apg. CAPPIE has achieved almost everything there is to achieve in the WNBA claiming 2 Championships, 6 All Star Appearances and was the finals MVP in 2007!

Reply #496998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And they wonder why they can't get the crowds to basketball"

but then if you ever criticise the league you will be labelled a sexist because if you like basketball you should somehow like the womens game

even though they are biting at NBL fans who aren't WNBL fans, well how about the NBA snobs who don't even follow NBL, how about nagging them to support WNBL

Reply #497044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know what your smoking lol but that rant made no sence at all !!!!

Don't think their is enough promotion of either wnbl or NBL at all, it's almost non exsitent in prime time media, nothing at all to do with labelling anyone sexist, think you need a hex and a good lie down

Reply #497133 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

Are there any live stats for the Spring Shield games?

Reply #497218 | Report this post

YourFuhrer  
Years ago

Observations from first night.

Caught the last quarter of Townsville/Canberra. Close I expect throughout the game as the final score indicated. Veal should have got free throws at the end when she was fouled, bit of a blunder call.

Saw most of the Syd/Melbourne game.

Madgen looked solid, little bit of rust which is to be expected though. The team itself played quite sloppy up until half time, managed to find their groove and grind away at Sydney for the win.

Add Burton into the lineup and you've got a solid core group with a good mixture, I'd expect similar results to last season.

For Sydney, Cox was doing well and I'd expect another solid season from her.

The team was running the floors well, maybe too well in the last quarter they looked a bit gassed. I expect a few more wins this season from the Flames with this lineup.

Saw the entirety of the Bendigo/Adelaide game. Bendigo was sloppy and due to their own fault I guess, Sara Blicavs is really going to be a weapon and she seems to have worked on her post game, about all that kept the game within reach for the first quarter. Adelaide played well, were making shots playing well as a team and running their stuff well, good ball movement and picks.

Kelly Faris looked settled, a few games and she'll get adjusted to how things are here I guess.

Second quarter, Kelsey Griffin just being Kelsey Griffin. 20 and 11. Rebounds/effort plays/you name it, she did it. Lifted the team and they played a lot smarter basketball, kept Adelaide on their toes and eventually took the lead and never looked like losing it. Tessa Lavey, another year or two and she's going to really be a threat in the PG spot.

Kristi Harrower was doing a fair amount of coaching, no idea what she will be basing her decision on, but we'll find out next week.

If anyone's after specific info, just reply (might remember).

Reply #497354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YourFuhrer - Did you see any of the West Coast Waves?

Most impressive box score from them since they've been in the league.

Reply #497359 | Report this post

YourFuhrer  
Years ago

Yes I did, saw most of the 1st and bits of second/third and a half of the last.

Post game of Dandenong is going to get crucified by Bendigo in particular, but even against Townsville/Canberra and Adelaide.

They are really going to hurt, don't expect the same Dandy team in my opinion of the last few years.

Reply #497360 | Report this post

YourFuhrer  
Years ago

West Coast really do have some legit players now, they will cause some upsets, probly end up in the ballpark of a Sydney area of last year in terms of a record I think.

They have good scorers and Doccy actually playing sure helps!

Reply #497363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks.

Good for the league that one team won't be losing by 20/30 every week.

Reply #497364 | Report this post

YourFuhrer  
Years ago

Indeed, it is good.

The big things to notice so far, I think at least.

Dandy's non existant post game. Will need big numbers from Kath/Cappie to compete well I'd say.

Waves being competitive, so lookout league. No resting of players against them.

Bendigo just getting it done, without Wilson/Richards/Penaluna/Snell and possibly Harrower.

Reply #497377 | Report this post

YourFuhrer  
Years ago

Congrats to the Waves, they showed up to play today and were excellent on offense, quite a few low % shots that fell. Overall they played I thought to the best of their ability. Defense was pretty solid also.

As for Bendigo, closest I can describe this game to was their loss at home to Townsville last year, nothing going in the hole/lack of intensity and offense was a bit sluggish and not clicking. A fair amount of the players seemed tired, the 3 games in 3 days might have been starting to take its toll, or just a bit of match fitness.

It will serve as a bit of a wakeup call to them also, West Coast will be a much stronger team and everyone should be wary.

Reply #497693 | Report this post

Lightning  
Years ago

What were the results of the games? I can't seem to find it anywhere...........

Reply #498221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the link to the results

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-9910-0-329079-0&a=FIXTURE&compID=329079

Reply #498251 | Report this post

Lightning  
Years ago

Thank you!

Reply #498358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754