Richard
Years ago

Keilor Thunder - VJBL Program

Just looking for any feedback from people on the Rep program at Keilor. I have an U14 son that plays at another Western Suburbs Association and are currently trying out at Keilor.

First impression are good and my sense is that this Assoc has a far better and deeper Coaching and development structure than Associations.

Topic #35612 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good to see out of all the clubs in the north how many teams were represented at VC or VC reserve level in the boys. Then you might find the answer to your question. Regards rep parent.

Reply #496962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a long time since my playing days but I played VC Juniors at Keilor.

I can say that 10-15 years ago Keilor was easily the best junior rep association in the North West. Coburg, Hume City/Broady Broncos and Sunbury didn't even get anywhere near Keilor. I know or knew people who played at all of those associations.

You will always get variation in individual coaches, but the best players and the best coaches were always at Keilor. It was the power club of the North West.

Reply #496969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you get into a '1' team you will get looked after.

Otherwise you are just there to pay fees.

Reply #497006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broadmeadows doing a lot of work at the moment with a number of new initiatives and new board members from the top down. New CEO in Wayne Bird, high performance manager Mark Landells and lots of player and coach development going on with the Broncos Academy.

Has been some time coming but maybe they will be headed back in the right direction with plans put in place and try to get some ground back on Keilor.

Reply #497118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor has always and still has just a bunch of dad's coaching rep teams and the complaining that goes on behind the scenes is terrible.

Reply #497134 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Tend to agree that if you make the 1st Team and you are in the best 7 players then you should have a good year. But that's the same at any Club.

Keilor have been reasonably successful at the U14 Boys age group over many years - usually play VC and generally top 5.

Reply #497148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that junior success being reflected and transitioning into the senior teams?

Reply #497169 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Thanks for all your feedback.

My experience is that behind the scenes at every association there is bitching and moaning going on.

The main cause of this are parents who think their child is gods gift to basketball. Reality is they are an average to good player in a team of average to good players.

Reply #497215 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hey Richard, I can only give you some feedback about Keilor from several years of attending their stadium and being involved in a rival VJBL program if you like?

Firstly, they are a pretty large Association and appear to be well run, Peter (the Regional coordinator for VJBL) has been there for many years and is not only a bonza bloke but a hard working person and very dedicated, hope he is still there...

Their representative program appears from the outside to be reasonably well organised and for the most part their parents and officials are respectful and reasonable. The kids seem to be well taught and if you live close by I would not travel too far to avoid this Association.

My humble opinion only mate, cheers.....

Reply #497240 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback Bear. I like what I have seen and heard up to this point.

Last year they had 5 U14 teams so there seems to be a very deep playing pools which is good.

Looks like I may be playing quite a bit of ACDC thunderstruck next year on the way to games.

Reply #497942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754