Anonymous
Years ago

Rhys Martin

Pick and Roll website states that Rhys Martin is playing for the New Zealand Breakers this season.
When did this happen and what happened to Europe?????

Topic #35614 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

It didn't happen. They are thinking of Rhys Carter.

Reply #496919 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Has Rhys Martin signed anywhere yet?

Reply #496922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On another note, Rhys Martin, is a legend. A classic example of why the Aussie system is awesome. Played for a small club that got an influx of kids that moved from another club to his, then kept playing hard, never breaking into the elite development pathways until he was down in Canberra high jumping and a BNSW coach saw him throwing down some huge dunks, played NSW U20s and then used the AAU system in the US to get a gig at Oregon state (I believe) then went to the school that hosts the Maui invitational and won a conference title, now helps run a business helping kids to get to college. (In my opinion, still the best option for most players in Oz who are the right age, provided they get to the right "fit"/school)

Awesome stuff, guys like him should me more welcomed by the "powers that be".

Reply #496979 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

You got your Rhys mixed up

Reply #496981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon you may find Rhys Martin played for QLD all through the junior state program!

Reply #496986 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@anonymous:

Reading that story about that pathway to me seems like an indictment of our bball system, not, "A classic example of why the Aussie system is awesome."

Reply #497002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF why did the Hawks not re sign Martin???

Reply #497037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because he didn't want to sign and instead planned to try his luck in Europe. Not sure if that's still the plan.

Reply #497042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac

He did improve last season but nowhere near the point to try his hand in Europe, very surprised he did this.

Reply #497045 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he has an Irish passport, so Europe is a viable option for him. Doesn't seem like he has a job yet though?

Reply #497069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess he will be one of the first players signed for the new brisbane team ...

might pick up a few games if someone goes down injured

Reply #497090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but he may regress with one season off or playing in a really poor euro league lower than our NBL or state league even

Reply #497247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754