Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Taipans, Oct 10

Your tips?

A chance for the home team to lessen some doubts and build confidence?

Topic #35621 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sixers by 5.

Great viewing: If Daly and Maynard are on at the same time and guarding each other. These two were the starting guard duo of the Silver Medal winning U20 Nationals SA team. Should be a great contest between two different pathways to the NBL.

Daly - CABL / SEABL Experience and NBL Experience
Maynard - CABL Experience and Bryant University 4 Year Experience.

I doubt we will see many minutes of this contest. Would have liked to see 20-25 minutes of these two going at it.

Reply #497025 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Too early to tell how people are going to go individually but the fact that Adelaide's imports are reportedly working so well together could perhaps give them a slight edge there... How ever Big Cam Trigger looks in ripping form and the Snakes' new editions are no joke..

For the fact I'll be supporting the Sixers I'll tip them... But this should be an even match if all goes to plan

Reply #497027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Boti it is the 3rd best team 36ers vs the worst team in the league Taipans, so I expect Adelaide to win by 20+ points...

Reply #497032 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Casey Frank said in a stuff.co.nz article that he believes Adelaide and Perth were the teams to beat.
(Also mentioned ADL arena is the toughest to play mainly because the fans are so close to the court whereas in Perth there is a bit of space).

I am starting to think that Adelaide are actually a good team this year.

The more I look at it, the more I realise they can easily be a top2/3 team.

At the end of the day, their starting 5 is no worse than others. All this talk around guys like Daniels, Childress but at least Wilson is proven and you know what you're going to get, Gibson is a Boomer, Big Red is 7"1, Petrie is a Boomers squad member and a guy like Teys will IMHO do no worse than other backup guards (U'U - Teys is better, Carter - probably the same, S.Bruce - Teys is better, Djeric - Teys has done more at NBL, Odigie - same).

Reply #497053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll need Creek to play like an in his prime version of Sam Mac to be an elite team.

Reply #497055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they could easily be around the middle of the pack while teams with newcomers and unknowns have to prove themselves. If the imports are reliable, we already know Gibson and Petrie are fringe-Boomers.

The Taipans have a soft interior so hopefully Montreal has the crowd behind him as he attacks.

Reply #497057 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bookies are really liking Cairns by the looks of it as the season draws closer.

Sportsbet has them finishing third in the regular season all of a sudden.

Reply #497068 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NBL is back and I think this game is going to be an absolute rip snorter.

I think the quarter time scores are going to be about 30 a piece if plays come off. Being the first game the other teams won't know their plays so expect a fast game. There might be a bit of fouling to slow it down, so the last 2 or 3 mins could be a FT fest from both teams.

I have a feeling the Taipans might save a bit for the second quarter so I think the half time scores could be around 45:48 with the snakes holding a narrow lead going into the change rooms.

With a Joey Wright spray expected, the Sixers should take the 3rd quarter, a quarter they have been notoriously bad in over the last few seasons. Since Jazzy stopped handing out the pies in the change rooms they have lost their sluggishness.

That makes for an absolute cracker of a final quarter. I think the Sixers will have the legs, so I am expecting a few sneaky little holding fouls to try to slow them down. The Taipans could be down to 8 players as Fearne argues with the refs and paces along the sideline shaking his head and holding his palm out saying "what was that??"

Could be a few lead changes in the final Q with a few timeouts showing off the cheerleaders new outfits and routines. Going into the final 90 seconds it should be anyone's game and I am thinking that a sneaky little Jamar Wilson drive with a bonus might just be the tonic the Sixers need to seal the games as the crowd erupts with " D FENCE, D FENCE, D FENCE".

I think the Taipans will fall short and lament a couple of bad shot choices.

Reply #497070 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I can think of about 18 players I'd rather watch in this contest than Maynard vs Daly.

Nice to hear the 6ers fans optimism but you're dreaming if you think you'll 'easily' be a top 2/3 team.

Taipans are a great road team and have had a solid pre-season, so I'd be betting on them.

Reply #497071 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Only going for Adelaide because they are at home.
I don't see sixers finishing 3rd this season.
I think Boti is way off the mark there

Reply #497072 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Trigger is the key to Cairns' season. If he can carry some load defensively then there's no reason they aren't a genuine title threat. He's dropped a heap of weight -- probably 15kgs -- and is primed for a career year. Maybe he's ready to be a defensive anchor, I don't know. He better be because we were crying out for a defensive import bigman two years ago and recruitment still hasn't delivered.

Reply #497074 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

And please guys, let's dispel the myth that Cairns is a good home team.

Reply #497076 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Trigger and defence shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You dont just become a better defender because you strip some weight.

Trigger is an offensive powerhouse though. Having said that Petrie should match up well with him defensively and may be a little too strong at the other end.

Reply #497082 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

DQ will surprise you all.....

Reply #497083 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

this time last year..frye got 18 and weigh got 2

Reply #497103 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Just watch Wilbekin tear Jamar a new one........
Snakes by 6.

Reply #497105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who kept their job Camel 31? Idiot..

Reply #497107 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

On form, very close. Hard to swathe. Cairns, good pre season and trsvel well here. 6ers, average preseason but strong home crowd venue. got over them last time by 2, but reckon will be a 1 point game either side.

Reply #497119 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

What is the home crowd gonna be like for the first round in Adelaide? Have they released an estimated crowd figure yet with sales ?

Reply #497122 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Reply #497124 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Not 15kgs Statsheet, but he's been working hard and his pre-season form has reflected that.

I think the highlight will be the Wilson/Gibson Vs Wilbekin/Gliddon battle. 2 quality back courts going head to head, sweet. baby. jesus.

Can't wait.

Reply #497128 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

What's the figure, Podge?

I reckon Fearne may go a bit out of the box and have Craig tail Gibson or Wilson late in the game (probably Gibson), and deny catches.

Off topic, I really hope Gliddon plays for the team and not himself this year. I reckon he feels entitled to a star's role, but as captain we really can't afford for him to think like that.

Reply #497129 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Calm down and have another read of Boti's article. He is tipping Adelaide to be 1-1 after this weekend and be 3rd on the table after this weekend, not over the whole season.

Cant wait for the games to start. The standard of the league should be great this year.

I am interested to see Jamar & DQ play this year. With everyone bagging them, they wont have to dig too deep for motivation and I for one look forward to seeing them playing way above everyone's expectations. From what I hear both are good team mates, have a good range of skills, have a point to prove and will surprise a lot of doubters.

Sixers by 9

Reply #497153 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I reckon the Sixers will get this one.

The home team will have a massive point to make and will make a big show of it.

I am most excited to see DQ play and how his game transitions to NBL level.

I will enjoy all those who went on able second rate 'SEABL' import eat a bit of humble pie.

Reply #497157 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Stat - about half that.

Disagree about Gliddon, he's always struck me as a humble team first kind of guy. With the captaincy we'll see him go to that next level. I think he'll relish working with Wilbekin.

Agree with you about Craig, he's gone under the radar but i think his versatility will make him a massive weapon.

Marcus - agree with you about DQ, he's an interesting prospect. I hope he's one of those guys that makes the transition, from what i've seen he's more than capable.

Reply #497158 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

6ers by 7 points, crowd 5135.

Reply #497161 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Podge, the only time Gliddon has shown glimpses of playing for himself is when no-one else was stepping up, and it didn't seem like a natural role for him. With Wilbekin, Craig and a fit Tragardh I don't think that will be a problem this season.

Reply #497177 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers by 3 points, crowd 4,100

Reply #497179 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Tragardh may have taken off weight but he put a lot on whilst injured and is not in the same shape he was at the beginning of last season. He was blowing hard in the last practice game and is still not fully fit in my opinion. He is playing well though and his fitness can only improve.

The Taipans pre-season form is not necessarily as strong as it seems. They beat the Wildcats at the Blitz but the Wildcats were down an import and didn't appear to have their mind on the job for at least the first half of that game. The Taipans then struggled to beat a severely undermanned Sydney in the 2nd game. The final 2 practice games against Wollongong in Cairns were played against a Wollongong side without Carson, Davidson and Nevill, so it's hard to read too much into those performances.

Having said that, there does seem to be a better vibe about the team this season and they should be better defensively than they were last season. It is also a better balanced team this season.

I think Adelaide will be very hard to beat at home this season. Wilson will be fired up for this game and unless the Taipans get a big game from Wilbekin, I think this will be a tough game for them to win.

Reply #497181 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Sixers by 8
The crowd will be interesting.
Does anyone not on this forum even know the game is on?!?!?!

Looking forward to seeing how DQ plays and if Creek has improved.

Reply #497183 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Hardest one to pick.

36ers with a chip on their shoulders after being told all off season they are the only team not to improve?

Taipans look to have bolstered their roster and Trigger seems back to form?

36ers by 4

Reply #497191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Cairns going to try and play as slow as possible this year and not take any easy fast break points again (and try to trick people into thinking that makes them a good defensive team)?

They appeared to put up high scoring numbers in the pre season, I wonder if that will continue into the regular season.

Reply #497195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I will enjoy all those who went on able second rate 'SEABL' import eat a bit of humble pie."

A bit like the humble pie you've been gorging on over the disaster that was your Marty Clarke?

Reply #497201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Does anyone not on this forum even know the game is on?!?!?!
The 36ers were front page of The Advertiser today so that would've helped.

Agree that buzz otherwise has been meagre. But I think that might happen even with a stronger club presence online. I think fans are waiting to be convinced regarding the two imports. If that happens and the team wins a bit, I think people will get on board.

Reply #497204 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Just saw some mopeds driving around (in that 3 line formation like they always do) carrying those portable signs with the Wildcats on them. In the Perth CBD. A very strange form of advertising.

Reply #497207 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

I don't know if it still happens these days but a few years ago, the Taipans seemed to be everywhere in and around Cairns - giant pictures of players on walls around town, TV news, radio, event openings, in the newspapers every second day, etc, etc, ....

Do (or Did) they just have better contacts?

At least we still have the "36ers Crossing" sign on Port Rd!!

Reply #497213 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

I don't know if it still happens these days but a few years ago, the Taipans seemed to be everywhere in and around Cairns - giant pictures of players on walls around town, TV news, radio, event openings, in the newspapers every second day, etc, etc, ....

Do (or Did) they just have better contacts?

At least we still have the "36ers Crossing" sign on Port Rd!!

Reply #497214 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just coming onto tvnews and radio now. While only yesterday abc1tvnews ran the story of the NBL season starting and a good look the quality of the imports all around the league . Perth story of course,but SYD and MEL also A good story, well done.Seems the NBA know us pretty well.

Reply #497216 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Are Cairns going to try and play as slow as possible this year and not take any easy fast break points again (and try to trick people into thinking that makes them a good defensive team)?

They appeared to put up high scoring numbers in the pre season, I wonder if that will continue into the regular season."

They didn't play that way the past two seasons.

Reply #497217 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While Gibson (on radio) told us CNS are a big team and sixers gonna run and gun, and we could be quicker.
DQ is athletic and worth us having a look at, he told us, while Wilson is a leader and Crawford been knocking down threes.
(Schenscher off the bench on ninenews)

Reply #497221 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with a few saying this may well be the hardest game to pick this weekend.

Hopefully a big crowd turn up and know the game is actually on!

NBL 2014/15 Round 1 Preview: Opening night sees Sixers battle Snakes

Personally, I'd love to see how Maynard goes in the league after graduating from college. A real tough-nosed defender who can score.

Hoping for some great highlights with all the new imports too.

Reply #497231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers by 10 for mine

Reply #497235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too hard to predict really.

Let's face it because the media coverage sucks and preseason very random in volume and frequency of games no one knows what is going to happen.

The bookies don't either so went conservative with both teams being near even chances.

Reply #497258 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Craig and Wilson lighting it up. Entertaining contest. Thanks Bet365 for the livestream.

Reply #497305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOw bad are the 6ers atm

Reply #497306 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

6ers not too bad, Taipans are playing quite well though

Reply #497307 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bad defence, terrible rebounding. 36ers are too small and not potent enough

Reply #497308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans up 48-41 at H/T

Reply #497309 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why is Fearne not playing Craig in the second half?

Reply #497315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans lead 71-66 at the end of the 3rd.

Reply #497318 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide seems to be lacking a bit of size against the Taipans.....

Reply #497320 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No way...live stats down again. What a rarity

Reply #497322 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I knew we were going to miss DJ's size inside. He may not have been the best defender but he did present a big target on offence and a big body on D.

Reply #497323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans win 97-87 and that was with the 36ers scoring 3-4 cheap buckets right at the end.

Embarrassing.

Reply #497325 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm happy to see Wilson have a great game but even happier to see the Taipans win. Wilbekin impressive.

Reply #497331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just went inside throughout the 4th and exploited our lack of size which is what you should do with only one player on the 36ers over 6'8".

Wilson was a one man show but seemed to busy trying to stick it to his old team tonight rather than driving and dishing and Montreal doesn't look NBL import standard which is probably why Joey was playing BJ ahead of him in the second half.

Reply #497335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately the 36ers have already lost the same amount of home games this season as they did all regular season & playoffs last season.

Reply #497336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIRE MARTY CLARKE!!!!!!

Reply #497338 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

Overall, not enjoyable however not the end of the world. Entertainment wise; the game was average however the "other entertainment"....Christ!

What the hell was that?

Everything we took for granted last year from that perspective is gone. Worst music. Limited crowd involvement. In 8 years, ive never been so bored at an nbl game. I almost thought I was watching a CABL game.

13 more games like this with your entertainment crap and cya the F##K later. The game itself is what it is and that's fine but gees, make it somewhat enjoyable when the chips r down.

Reply #497340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti, your 8th team just murdered your 3rd...
Also, 6ers fans, welcome to Jamar Wilson - all he does is shoot and is the worst team player on the league.

Reply #497342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will see now if Joey can coach a low budget team!

Reply #497346 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

Yeah id have to agree, lots of shooting for sweet FA, Wilson. 8-19 is rock solid poor. Im not a big person on bagging but, his numbers somehow don't stack up.

Joey via the advertiser suggested 'a player to watch'. eeehhh, did you see something I didn't.

id love to see johns in action, more of daly and more of the aggressive BJ from last year.

Reply #497347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's only ever coached teams that pay him a lot of money. Lets see how he goes now as someone else said. S who picked this rabble? The board?

Reply #497348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson has games where he is amazing, but over the season it evens out that he has a terrible shot percentage/shot selection.

Reply #497352 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What a crap night. Never really looked like it. Boti's 8th easily over his 3rd prediction.

We are in for a bloody long season I think.

Reply #497355 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

As another person said we are really going to miss DJ!

One of the only good points is that we can only improve from that.

Gibson did his best effort of being a ghost. The guy is the only boomer in the NBL, he needs to step up, he has the talent. His game was not acceptable.

What was up with Creek in that first half? It looked like he wasn't interested. Where was his normal enthusiasm? To end up with the stats he did shows he will have a huge year.

Schenscher and Petrie both average. Perhaps with the limited minutes it is unfair to judge Schenscher.

Credit to Wilson for a great effort. I think he should have stayed on Wilbekin the whole game as he was doing some great defense on him.

Joey should have played Montreal more. He missed a few earlier on but give the guy a chance. He looks like a great rebounder and we definitely need that.

Umpires back at their pathetic best.

Reply #497357 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

My one take away from this is if we keep switching on defense letting our smalls guard the bigs I will storm the court and demand a change. We are so small when Luke is not on that we just get killed on the boards.

Reply #497362 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Montreal not up to it and it showed that in this league you must have fantastic imports. Cairns have 2 very good imports and a good squad yet will still finish 2 to 6. They should have won by more. Hopefully this game was just a shocker that we will forget rather than being the norm. Losing DJ and Ervin will be BIG. The crowd was very quiet. Don't know what to think going forward. I know what I would do !

Reply #497373 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

How does Crawford get more minutes than Schensh and BJ against a team as big as Cairns.. Tell me please because I was pulling out my bloody hair tonight.

Reply #497374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ may be the new CJ.

Reply #497375 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

As expected, the Sixers do not have enough size. We got absolutely smashed on the boards.

We were still in the game early in the 4th, but then for some inexplicable reason, Joey went with BJ as our lone big for about half the fourth quarter. By the time he reinserted Petrie, it was too late.

Is Petrie maybe carrying an injury or something? If not, I can't for the life of me work out why he only played 23 mins.

Wilson showed off some crazy handles and was dominant in the first half, but Wilbekin completely turned the tables on him after half-time.

One of the few bright spots was Mitch Creek's performance. We've all been hoping he'd develop a three ball and with three clean makes tonight, I think the signs are good.

I'm not going to judge Montreal on one game, but I felt like he was trying too hard and would have been better off playing more of a finesse game rather than trying to out-muscle larger opponents on offence. Sixers need a lot more scoring from him if they want to win more than a handful of games this season.

Teys didn't get enough opportunities tonight, partly because of that screen that sent him to the locker room for awhile. The kid can do it all though. He can shoot it from anywhere, take it to the rack and he is so disruptive with his defence. He's gotta get 30 mins a game IMO, but that's going to be tough with Gibson in front of him at SG and the complete lack of size in the front court making it tough to play him at SF like last season.

Lastly, what's with playing the "Australian Outdoor Living" ad all the time? I totally didn't get the joke.

Reply #497378 | Report this post

chopper6  
Years ago

Montreal PATHETIC!!!

Reply #497384 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

It's the sponsor for the floor wipers, just be happy they are actually doing their job so far.

Reply #497385 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Live stats. Daly had an assist and steal in his 1:01 minutes yet not recorded....

Reply #497395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing the pressure is on the 36ers and crocs for Sunday.

Reply #497398 | Report this post

spinner  
Years ago

Got home and watched the Perth vs New Zealand game.......we are going to get smashed against them with our do called imports against their marquees. How did the Sixers really expect any success running a budget team? Shame our bloody season tickets and car park weren't budget!

Reply #497399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers Montreal = SEABL last season
Taipans Wilbekin = NCAA Final Four last season

nuff said

IF it was up to Joey I'm sure there would be better imports but it must be the board who have hamstrung him although like others have mentioned finally we get to see Joey try to win with a cheap roster.

Reply #497400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Wilson has games where he is amazing, but over the season it evens out that he has a terrible shot percentage/shot selection."

Can you cite his FG% for last season?

Any cheap 36ers buckets surely balanced by Fearne subbing O for D when up more than enough. Presumably thinking about percentages down the track. Not a big deal.

Small front court not helped by intentionally playing smaller so often.

Thought Wilson, Creek and Teys were good. Roster may find other big teams challenging.

Reply #497403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was with Joey calling a timeout with 0:25 to go in the fourth quarter and then for the first time in the quarter they played with super intensity to score 6 points from memory? that was plain weird, normally you would just take the ball up the court and wait for the buzzer... did someone need a certain points total as the whole side seemed super motivated in the last minute with no hope of winning...

Reply #497404 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Joey: id rather play with speed than height....problem with that is you cant run and gun if you cant rebound.

I dont think it is fair to judge Joeys coaching of a budget team when the rest of the league has spent.

Dean is going to learn a valuable lesson this year....unfortunately its a lesson most of us already knew.

Funny you didnt see Dean walking around smiling and greeting people like last season.

Reply #497405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey was spoilt with the money he could spend on the ridiculous run and gun small ball the Bullets had and it still seems like he hasn't been weaned off of it, well maybe after this season he will be (finally)

Reply #497406 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac....36ers are the smallest team in the league so they will find it challenging agaist every team.

Reply #497408 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

That Bullets team had good shooters and rebounders.....something the Sixers lack

Reply #497409 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Taipans Wilbekin = NCAA Final Four last season" and how did Wilbekin go in that game?

Why you comparing our 2nd best import compared with Cairns best import?

Wilson owned Wilbekin in the first half. I think if he guarded him the whole game he would have had a better game.

Reply #497410 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I don't even want to talk about tonight.... It was all wrong in so many ways on and off the court.. Felt like we were back in the Marty Clark Days… Yuck !

Reply #497416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ had cramps in 2nd Qtr and hardly played? Came on in 4th with 5 to go and was clearly not right.
Once team settles and Joey runs some stuff team will be fine.
Nervous Wilson had a case of the yo yo's. Needs to get better ball movement rather than showcase his handles.
Pietrie was poor tonight. Our bigs man handled.

Reply #497418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Isaac: "Can you cite his FG% for last season?"
He shot around a career high 48% from memory, but as a Taipans fan who watched every game, he does more harm than good mate.
You will also start to cringe whenever he gets the ball and blindly dribbles into the keyway and throws it somewhere towards the ring.

Reply #497420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After tonight who do you think will get the wooden spoon, Adelaide or Perth?

Reply #497421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was there such a massive gap on the 36ers jersey between the ISC logo and the 36ers logo? Surely if this is for the future "in case we get a sponsor" the team is struggling more than ever to not be able to get a second set of uniforms until then with the logo 7 higher...

Reply #497423 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

1) Wilbekin has the basketball brain of a 10-year vet and is the reason we'll win more close games than we lose this season

2) Unfortunately, Wilson is a bit cancerous. Three good rosters (stacked in the past two seasons) and zero playoff appearances in Wilson's stint at Cairns. It's no coincidence that they couldn't put it together when it really mattered. It's Joey and Gibbo's responsibility to take the ball off Wilson when he isn't hot.

3) Cut Montreal some slack! One game...

Reply #497427 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Cairns owned the glass in this one; 41 to 29.

Wilbekin looks the real deal! the level of import has really shot up a level this season.

Creek's 16pts at a good clip was a positive to come out of the game for the 36ers.

Recap: NBL 2014/15 Round 1: Taipans steal early season victory in Adelaide

Reply #497440 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns were probably the third best team in Wilson's first year but were killed by injuries to Crosswhite and Loughton.

Wilson was outstanding that year, and I think there were much bigger issues that saw Cairns not reach their potential the past two seasons, most notably unbalanced recruiting and an undefined game style.

What Wright needs to do is make sure there are driving opportunities in the offence for Wilson, but last night he was forced to make something out of nothing because not much else was working.

When Gibson gets going again and Petrie gets to fitness after missing a lot of pre-season the team will look a lot better after an interrupted pre-season. If those things don't happen they are in trouble though.

Reply #497444 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Taipans - Was extremely impressed with Wilbekin he plays with a lot of poise out there for a 21 year old kid. You can tell he's played in the NCAA Final Four. Craig is athletic and can shoot, I just hope Fearne plays him more. The rest of the team are solid and well balanced compared to the last two years.

36ers - Wilson was good he had to force a lot of things but he brought the effort. The problem is they're too small and I wouldn't mind Montreal if they still had Johnson but they needed a gun import without him and while Montreal is solid he's not a star.

Reply #497451 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Anyone else see Wilson completely switch off when a shot goes up? I recall one defensive set where he let his man get 3 offensive rebounds in a row, while he was still staring at the rim on the other side of the key... He got lost on D on most occasions. 36ers pick and roll D was terrible tonight, and if we continue to play it like that we will have a long season.

I'm quite frustrated by the lack of ball movement Wilson has brought back to our side. A few years of watching him constantly bog down a Cairns offense had me worried about him bringing the same to Adelaide, and my fears became reality last night.

Reply #497452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Funny you didnt see Dean walking around smiling and greeting people like last season."

He was going around greeting people after the game, like he usually does.

Reply #497454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ was soft at SEABL level he is def NOT up to NBL!!!

Reply #497455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I found it strange they kept giving the ball to Montreal in the post last night. Surely his advantage is facing up against bigger, slower opponents and either shooting over them or driving?

Montreal and Wilson also forced up some shots when teammates were open, and you'd hope as they become more familiar with the team they'll make some better reads.

Last night was always going to be tough given Cairns have been together a lot more during pre-season, but Adelaide wouldn't want to take too long to click with this even a competition.

Reply #497457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have an idea of the crowd number? Looked pretty good on NBLtv

Reply #497458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers aren't that big and they don't have great shooting. Not an awesome combo.

Gibbo seemed to end up guarding post players a lot.

Reply #497459 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

about 5.4K i think

Reply #497460 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Dean only greeted a few platinums behind the bench a the beginning. Probably still on shock that the memberships appear to be right down and no wonder. Everything that has been of concern off the court appears to be happening on court as well.

SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY NOT RIGHT .....

No team huddle, no presenting to the crowd, no spirit, no leadership and Jamar and Gibbo appeared to have issues with each other on court at times

What was with the announcer and music - RUbbish

I wanted to pull the wedgie out of the dancers bums, and the music awful

What is with Murray, new costume and no connection with the crowd. Didn't see him in with the crowd and no tricks on court.

Last night was soulless in so many ways and I can't even explain all the little things that were wrong.

Well done Dean, NOT

Reply #497465 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Camel 31, yep Frye was a pleasant surprise last year and there was great chemistry and some spunk and attitude on court.

Should have kept Ervin

Can't believe we missed Neville floating around

What was with BJ and Schensh being on the bench. DEFENCE UNDER THE BASKET.....

Reply #497466 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'll agree with injuries and all that, but who's the head of the snake, so to speak? The guy with the ball in his hands, in charge of running the show and getting his team over the line was Wilson. Yeah close losses have more to do than one guy's offence, but he sure did lose us more tight games than he won us.

Reply #497469 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Well those we let go first game went well !! Carter killed it in Perth and Ervin in the Gong, tonight Cadee will do the same and DJ having a great start OS...

Come to think of the huddle last night, I don't recall the Sixers banging down a hand huddle after time outs or perhaps I just tuned out.

Big WT….

Reply #497472 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not an ideal start to a season.

I think you'll find it was actually amazing Luke actually got on court last night based on him being extremely ill. Peach was carrying a calf injury and with both those guys down it contributed to the poor rebounding effort IMO.

Basketball is one of those games where sometimes it is just not your night. Early on there were a few shots that rattled out and a few shots by Cairns that swished in. I thought, "yep, the basketball gods are with Cairns"

There were a few umpiring decisions I wouldn't mind explained better.

1. The USF on Creeky. The replay showed him and the Cairns guy in a tussle for the ball and I didn't see him grab him as such, but the ref from behind called it. What was a rationale for an USF and not a regular foul? There were Cairns players basket side and he didn't have a clean break. Was it just because Creeky was from behind?
2. Over and Back. I could tell from the angle, but there was a play where the Cairns guard lost the ball and seemed to step in the other half and then got the ball back. Was it because he was holding/controlling the ball at the time?

Reply #497475 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson won Cairns lots of games in his first season but didn't win nearly as many after that, I agree.

But the biggest changes after that were recruiting offensive players to replace defensive ones and changing to a more free-flowing game plan.

When you see Wilson repeatedly running backdoor cuts to the weakside so Steindl can receive the ball on the wing and run on-balls you know something is wrong with the structure.

Reply #497482 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Both of last years grand finalists beaten on their home court by 10 points what a way to kick off 2014/15

Reply #497484 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Didn't like the run over Teys, yes he wasn't planted but unsportsmanlike to continue to run over him and dangerous to the max. At least an attempt to move around him would have been appropriate.

What was wrong with Schensh ? Flu/Virus

Why no huddle and presenting though - no explanation for that.

Reply #497485 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Think the Sixers have a lot of pressure to win tomorrow as you don't want to go NZ 0 - 2.

Reply #497487 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha yeah I made mention of that last year. We used both import spots on playmakers yet here is Stephen Weigh having to choose between post entry, initiate a dribble hand-off to one of the guards, or force his own shot late in the clock

Reply #497488 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Yep, not looking good though. 2 bigs down and Peach is an ongoing long term thing we are in big trouble. Hating that the predictions of many will come true when those we let go will perform for other teams and members already dwindling..Not expecting GF but not this either.

Reply #497489 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with you to an extent though SS, to get the best out of Wilson you need to channel his skills well.

He's an instinctive player, not a high IQ guy, so get him attacking from the right spots in the right situations and he's a great asset, but put him in a poor system and he can try to do too much.

Reply #497490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And here we go! Another year of keyboard experts. We have no money! We spent it all last year! It is what it is people.
Sack Marty!!

Reply #497491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This years team is more expensive than last year. It is in no way a budget team. Look at the names on the roster and the 1 st 5 are amongst the best paid players in the league.

Reply #497495 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Montreal would be getting quite a bit less than Johnson, Daly would be getting quite a bit less than Cadee, Crawford might be on similar or a little more than Frye/Carter, Wilson is probably on similar to Ervin, so overall I would think this team is quite a bit cheaper.

Rumour has it one retained player had a backended contract which allowed for more talent last year and has meant less money this year. Don't know how true that is.

Reply #497496 | Report this post

Ah Shit  
Years ago

Damn the 36s 8 v 15 OR and 21 v 26 DR

All the other stats are ok FG prob a bit low than prefered

WIN THE BOARDS WIN THE GAME

Reply #497498 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct. Once Schenscher is healthy I think they need to start him with Pertrie and bring Montreal on to change the pace of the game, as most teams start their genuine big and then have a 4-5 as back-up.

Reply #497500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I correct in what I saw - Daly 1 Assist to Crawford for the 3 and 1 steal in 1:01 minutes ?? Wasn't recorded on live stats. Thought he could have gone on more minutes and Sam Johns even after a great preseason has some body size to hold the weight of the AFL Taipans moving screens.

Reply #497503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul , Creek upped his deal and the returnees have their increases year on year
One player alone had an increase of 30k combined with Gibson having his 40-50k add back this team indeed costs more

Reply #497507 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It might cost more straight up, I don't know, but because of the backend there is actually probably less to spend on other players this year, as evidenced by who was recruited. Youre probably talking a six-figure saving going from Johnson-Cadee to Montreal-Daly.

Reply #497508 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Marcus Camby wrote:
"I reckon the Sixers will get this one.

The home team will have a massive point to make and will make a big show of it.

I am most excited to see DQ play and how his game transitions to NBL level.

I will enjoy all those who went on able second rate 'SEABL' import eat a bit of humble pie."

Good to see your expert analysis is on the mark as always Marcus.....

Montreal was not up to standard and I don't think he ever will be at NBL level for an import this season. He is a tweener, not quick enough to play the 3 and not big enough to play the 4. This could be made up for if he could shoot or had some atleticism but he lacks any sort of explosiveness under the basket and his shot did not look consistent. You can't lose your best player and probably the most versatile offensive player in the league in DJ and just not replace him while still expecting to compete. I know it is only one game but if Montreal stays, I can't see the sixers being competitive this year, which is dissapointing after such a great season last year.

Reply #497510 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Like him or not. Montreal is still a top 16 import in this league.

Reply #497511 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I think we're both in agreeance about Wilson. Let Gibbo run point and take the ball out of Wilson's hands, switch Wilson to SG is what I'm thinking

Reply #497516 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I think starting Wilson at SG is the least of our problems. My main concern is how our import is restricted to 14 mins due to cramp in the first game of the season? In Boti's article this morning he mentions DQ was hit with cramp limiting his minutes?

Reply #497518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Jake I'm with you. He is an awesome player, seen him at trainings and in SEABL and OS and he has the goods but - Big problem that they need to refer to a physiologist to see what his problem is. May be as simple as putting him on Calcium and Magnesium tablets and a prehydaration routine with specific minerals to balance out any deficiencies.

Reply #497519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I read correctly above someone saying Wilson torched Wilbekin hahaha. This forum continues to amaze. Wilbekin blew by him every single time down the stretch.

"I wanted to pull the wedgie out of the dancers bums" OMG I noticed this as well and the worst thing is they weren't hot but mostly fat so it was disgusting :(

Reply #497536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder Jam wrote:
"Just watch Wilbekin tear Jamar a new one........
Snakes by 6."

nice, very nice prediction. at least some others are familiar with NCAA!

Despite questions about Fearne's coaching he is familiar with the college landscape, which is lacking I feel with most other head coaches here.

Reply #497541 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I got this one wrong but I am very happy about that

Reply #497542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you use Wilson and Gibbo ala Mills and Delly for the Boomers. Wilson pushes in transition, Gibbo takes control on slow sets.

To me the Sixers looked like a team still figuring out their roles last night and getting game touch. Very different pre-seasons for the two teams.

Reply #497543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson can ball.. let him settle down.
DQ didn't look comfortable and is better than what we saw but i'd expect him to be gone within a month.
Middle of the pack

Reply #497550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is DQ the new CJ?

Reply #497557 | Report this post

luvmy6ers  
Years ago

ok so i agree with a lot of points everyone makes here... just one thing stopped me in my tracks... post from "annonymous" (of course it was an annonymous post...) #497536...

*"I wanted to pull the wedgie out of the dancers bums" OMG I noticed this as well and the worst thing is they weren't hot but mostly fat so it was disgusting :(*

OMG!! are you KIDDING ME?!?! u disgusting pig!! HOW DARE YOU say that any of those girls are fat... they are all beautiful young girls... and more so... they are ATHLETES!! no wonder women have body image issues regardless of their size... and i am sure you are at peak fitness with 0% body fat yourself??!! I pity your partner (whether they be male or female)... that is if you even have a partner that worthy of your lofty standards!

Reply #497878 | Report this post

Smelly Cat  
Years ago

I agree about the wedgies but the comment on fat was obviously posted by a disgusting narrow minded man who has no idea. Don't respond to his posts and waste your breath. If he made that comment in the first place then he is never going to get anything anyone else has to say...

Reply #497890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with above.
Poor comment...

I wanted to pull them wedgies out with my teeth

Reply #497898 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Sigh.

* Sadly my lack of enthusiasm during the off-season recruiting was justified with this game.

* Montreal - give him 1 month. Then can we have a proper import who's up to NBL standard? The hole needs to be filled with a consistent experienced player or we will fail.

* The whole night felt like it was planned by a 7 year old chimpanzee.

* #scoreboardsbeenf*ckedfordecades can we get a new one yet?

* If I have to hear that Australian Outdoor Living grab for the rest of the season, there will be NO rest of the season for me. It's the most annoying thing to ever be introduced since the Pura Milk Monster.

On the positive - great to get a win away for G2. I'll calm my jocks down a bit and re-review for myself in a few weeks time, but it really doesn't look good based on first game impressions this season.

Reply #497903 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Having long hair must be a pre-requisite for the dancers

Reply #497909 | Report this post

Fact not Fiction  
Years ago

get off the DQ bashing

Gladness with his NBA experience had 7 & 8 at 30% in 27 minutes

DQ had 16 & 6 at 50% in 24 minutes

Friday night in a nervous start he still contributed positively against one of the biggest teams in the league.

Beal was 2/17
Perry 2/9
McCrae 5/17
Craig had 3 points and 4 rebounds in his 2nd game

Those 4 had much more hype about them than DQ and played much worse than him. DQ isnt DJ get used to it.

Reply #497914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754