Baller#3
Years ago

6ers money troubles...

Does anyone else get a massive feeling that the 36ers budget is running on practically zero this year? It just seems that in every single way they have cut down on spending.

Clearly the budget for players is lower than the cap. But in other ways it seems as if they are also "half-assing" there way around everything? Providing the absolute bare minimum of everything.

Topic #35637 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Maybe the fans are expecting too much?

Reply #497552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems there has been a significant reduction in Team spend. Otherwise it's not obvious there have been reductions in other area's, which in many instances have been budget for sometime.

That said when the burdon lies on one party to consistently cover the annual defecit, I would expect more significant cost reductions.

Reply #497553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach getting too much? Whats a HC worth?

Reply #497556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has a tendency to make teams go under! Just saying....

And yeah agree very cheap feel to the entire game night experience, hell even the fruit choc thing woudnt come out and dance to the same ollllllllld song!

Reply #497558 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The organisation is being prudent with money to make the finances (and the org itself) sustainable.

I think it is better than going with bells and whistles and closing shop next season due to no working capital.

It would help if there were more members.

Reply #497561 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think you'll find the Sixers are not in any real financial trouble. The only way to create a financial problem is not to get behind them. There are no deep pockets and there are no money trees in sport, so think long term, get to the games, grab a new jersey from the merchandise area and bring along a mate to a game. If you are buying something, go to a sponsor and get it from them and mention the Sixers when you do, you probably get a discount or something thrown in and they will keep up their sponsorship. That way, the Sixers can get cash flow and everything works just fine.

Reply #497563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Bendant Money tree.

Reply #497564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack - they need to communicate with members then, or they will go spend their money on another sport and just come casually. They need to see it is worth their time and money... that includes the atmosphere which was non existent last night and that isn't just down tot he crowd. A great announcer with the right music and cheersquad too can get a crowd pumping. They didn't get it right last night. We are now competing with higher footy costs that families will save for and skip other sports.

Please be honest with your mates at Sixers and tell them the truth about how bad the atmosphere was to encourage them to change it up. Last years formula was right so ten if they go back to that programming and please please please have the players present to the crowd. That was embarrassing having a team called up and no one showed.. Awful...

Reply #497568 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Marcus.......... Can you please explain to us how putting a budget team on the floor is going to be good in the short or long term term. How is it going to aid sustainability if you loose all the fans when the budget team sits at get bottom of the ladder???

If you think it is ok to put crap on the floor, please tell us where you get your drugs from, because they have to be hot!!

Reply #497600 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Spinner, the reality is this team is NOT a budget team. I originally thought the same with DJ probably on $150k, so I thought we had about that as well as a bit more to spend on a quality import but that is not the case at all. As another poster said on another thread:

"Creek upped his deal and the returnees have their increases year on year
One player alone had an increase of 30k combined with Gibson having his 40-50k add back this team indeed costs more"

It was talked about that Gibson took a pay cut so Ervin could play last season. It is common knowledge that Creek got a pay rise and his stock was rising with interest from other clubs. The other player perhaps had their salary starting low until this season.

So lets just say Creek another $30k + Gibson another $50k + another player another $30k = $110k already used up, $40k left.

(Guesses on salary)
Montreal $70k for DJ $40k remaining
Crawford $80k for Carter $50k
Daily $45k for Cadee $70k (maybe less)
Wislon for Ervin the same price.

2014-15 Roster $35k more expensive.

Even if you and others think my salary guesses are wrong it isn't wrong by that much so like it or not this team is either close to the same as last seasons budget or possibly even more. Regardless it is NOT a budget roster.

We should appreciate the efforts the owners have done. Each year they are losing money. They were hoping a sponsor could come in and pay for a marquee player but it didn't happen.

On the other hand, So far this season it seems the club has been run in a poor way compared to other teams so hopefully that quickly improves.

As Jack Toft said we really need to continue to support this team. They DO have the talent and a quality head coach.

Reply #497607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they are. Just shite then?

Reply #497609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd guess that the Fru Choc and Murray are the same and Murray went to get changed too late. Saw them run to the tunnel just as the quarter was ending.

Reply #497615 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you've underestimate Cadee by quite a bit there KingJames.

I think the point some are missing is, while the actual spend might be similar, Gibson supposedly being paid more this year means there is less to spend on the rest of the roster this season.

Reply #497619 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Crawford $80k for Carter $50k

Should have given Carter the $80k instead

Reply #497622 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Paul, you could be right Cadee could have been on 20k more but the point remains that this years team is no budget team and that others should stop thinking that it is.

KET, I think Crawford is better than Carter. Sure Carter had a great game the other day but I don't think he will be consistent. If PC can stay injury free he will be of great value.

Reply #497628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is effectively a budget team because players are being over paid.

Why would Creek have his deal upped while he is still under contract? Up his deal but secure him further...don't just up his deal.

Crawford would not be on $80k...if he is that's a poor business decision.

Last year was a success but obviously a poor business move when they could only back it up with what they provided Friday night.

Reply #497633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek was out of contract

Reply #497636 | Report this post

gone?  
Years ago

Wilson was budget also. He did not get the same as Ervin.

Reply #497638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1st game guys, give them a couple to settle down and work it out?!!

Reply #497640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Schenscher shoes to pick up the option on his big money contract rather than re-sign to a longer term deal for less p.a.

Actually when that was announced was when I suspected something was up.

Reply #497648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*chose

Reply #497649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon above
I was a little disappointed when they announced he took the option.
I was hopin theyd retain him on a new contract to save $ and we would've got him at his lower Player Point rating.
Maybe he didn't see him self playing beyond this season though?

Reply #497674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's a bit too young to retire could play another 3-4 years if his body holds up.

It suggested to me that either he knew they weren't going to be putting a contending team on the floor so why take a pay cut or that he might've heard something to do with the financial health of the club.

Reply #497680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no major sponsor on the jersey or on the court?

Reply #497864 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

At the very least Adelaide fans can be cheering they got rid of Cadee, especially if he was on the $$$ that has been suggested here.

Reply #497869 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, you could be right Cadee could have been on 20k more but the point remains that this years team is no budget team and that others should stop thinking that it is."

I very much doubt the 36ers are spending anywhere close to Melbourne, Perth and New Zealand (and probably not as much as Sydney or Wollongong either) so in those terms it is a budget team, possibly the second or third lowest spend in the comp.

Reply #497872 | Report this post

Smelly Cat  
Years ago

Definitely not as we have no marquee.. Not rocket science. No Millionaire, no marquee, however that doesn't explain Cairns. Size, Mobility a dubious boring plan and hot outside shooting is working for them, with an arced up street balling freak travelling like the leyland brothers as well.. Lets hope he just gets himself in to trouble soon like he did in the US. Can't wait to see Ervin take on Wilbekin.

Reply #497891 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They ain't paying DQ the sort of money quoted above, its a lot less!

A number of other locals took up a lot more the pie than some think...they were worried they loose "a young talent back to united" and wanted to keep Gibbo.

Reply #497940 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I noticed Creek getting away with plenty of travelling too...
Everyone travels, I accept it's just part of how refs call the game now, kind of like in rugby league where they let you forward pass.

Reply #497947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754