Anonymous
Years ago

NCAA College Eligibility Requirements

Why don't State Associations, Member Associations & Clubs inform their player in the U12 & definitely in the U14 age group of the NCAA College Scholastic Eligibility requirements?

IMO this should be mandatory.

For a lot of families you're not exactly thinking about your child getting a US College Athletic Scholarship when they're in Year 8.

Topic #35647 | Report this topic

basketball tragic  
Years ago

excellent point

Reply #497743 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Prob because many of these clubs don't know what the requirements are?? They are stuck in the Australian system and not focusing on getting kids to play college ball but to play locally.

Reply #497810 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No a bad idea to at least make the information readily accessible.

We have a good summary of what is required up here thanks to Michael Clarke - a current Aussie who is an Assistant Coach at McMurray State.

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball

Reply #497813 | Report this post

Percy  
Years ago

Best to get familiar with the eligibility requirements as early as possible, and keep abreast of any changes (e.g. new regulations for 2016 and following) to avoid any nasty surprises. NCAA regulations are available online, as are useful summaries that relate to Australian athletes. However, there are some pitfalls that students with a non-traditional graduation date (e.g. Australia) do need to be particularly aware of - such as the NCAA penalties for playing in ANY organized competition (rep, local comp, PG Prep schools) outside the 'one-year grace period' after HS graduation.

Reply #497840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are lots of people that can help with the requirements personally i would be careful with coaches within organisation to tell what is right and wrong.

Reply #497845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Percy, are you referring to the fact that if you elect not to go in your first eligible year after year 12 here, they will red shirt you in your first college year over there?

Reply #497855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'there are lots of people that can help with the requirements personally i would be careful with coaches within organisation to tell what is right and wrong.'

@Anon, you are correct in one thing, be careful of whom you ask advice from. Some coaches may get it wrong, but others offering free advice will then try and suck you into signing up with them for big $$$ if you are not watchful. Free advice isn't always free!

Reply #497858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon, you are correct in one thing, be careful of whom you ask advice from. Some coaches may get it wrong, but others offering free advice will then try and suck you into signing up with them for big $$$ if you are not watchful. Free advice isn't always free!

YEs totally agree my original post was in reverence to clubs passing on information about eligibility

bit of a side track but a lot of coaches get paid from schools recruiting so they can be a little bit biased

Reply #497871 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

"NCAA quick reference" for all info regarding subjects.
Some subjects over here do not count towards any of the sciences, such as PE.
New rules mean that you cannot load up on courses at start of year 12 when you decide you are trying to go to college.
Yes, clubs need to be telling players at the u16 ages as this is when grades and courses start to count, Years 9 to 12.

Also a minefield with the different calendar year issue! But previous post nailed it, once you pass the 12 month window, you have to sit out competition or lose eligibility, like Naar has had to do at St. Mary's for eg.

Reply #497873 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From the U.S. College Board web site:

Division I:
16 Core Courses
4 years of English
3 years of math (algebra 1 or higher level)
2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered)
1 extra year of English, math, or science
2 years of social science
4 years of additional core courses (from any category above, or in a foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)

Division II:
16 Core Courses
3 years of English
2 years of math (algebra 1 or higher level)
2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered)
3 extra years of English, math or science;
2 years of social science
3 years of additional core courses (from any category above, or in a foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy);
4 extra years if enrolling on or after August 1, 2013

Academic standards
Division I eligibility
All students entering college must have completed 16 core courses in high school.
Students must earn a minimum required GPA in core courses and a combined SAT or ACT sum score that matches this GPA on a sliding scale, which can be found in the NCAA Eligibility Center Quick Reference Guide (.pdf/270K). Requires Adobe Reader (latest version recommended).

Division II eligibility
All students entering college prior to August 1, 2013, must have completed 14 core courses in high school.
All students entering college on or after August 1, 2013, must have completed 16 core courses in high school.
Standards require a minimum GPA of 2.0 and a combined minimum SAT score of 820 or sum ACT score of 68.
NCAA core courses definition
An academic course in one or a combination of these areas: English, mathematics, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy.

A four-year college preparatory course and a course at or above the high school's regular academic level, for example, an AP® class or outside college course.
Remedial courses, or those taught at a slower pace or that cover less content are not admissible. And not all classes that meet high school graduation requirements meet NCAA course work requirements.

Reply #497880 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Your last four years of High School here in Aus are important and the final two years (11-12) are crucial.

As long as you are taking two sciences (like psychology with biology for example) or a similar mix, then you have your math and english as normal and you throw in something like another language or religion over that term, you should qualify.

This is the crucial bit in your final two years, but you need to get the four years correct in total, making sure you get enough of the required subjects (like another language studies for example).

Funny how they rate religion studies above things like phyical education or business studies, those don't rate, but religion does if your school has it!!

Reply #497883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.collegeboard.org/

Every Association should promote this link to players good enough or who want to qualify for the US College system.

Reply #497886 | Report this post

Percy  
Years ago

It's not just having to sit out (redshirt) a year before you can compete. For every year outside the 12 month grace period you lose a year of college eligibility. e.g. if your NCAA 'expected graduation date' is Dec 2012 and you play in ANY organised competition in 2014 before starting college in August 2014, you must redshirt in 2014-15 AND lose a year of eligibility (i.e. you can play college basketball for only three rather than four years). Also, for every year of delay after that I believe that another year of college eligibility is forfeited.

Reply #497887 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

My daughter is going to the us next year. Be careful of what competition they play in before they go. Semi- pro can mean a 1 year red shirt. They don't like it when any players on your side are paid. Also when you sit SAT make sure you use code 9999 when linking SAT to Colleges of choice. This registers your scores with NCAA Eligibilty Center. Otherwise more costs. Please remember a scholarship still has its costs!! 4 year VISA $176, Issue fee $115.50, SEVIS Fee USD200. Do your SAT early, as you can do it multiple times. The higher the SAT the lower your GPA needs to be. DO NOT LEAVE IT TOO LATE DURING THE YEAR 12 TO MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN TO COLLEGES!!

Reply #497888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if they play SEABL the year they are going to college how does that effect their playing, will they be redshirted, so for instance if they play SEABL for 2015 and start college 2015, how does that work

Reply #497896 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

You can play "against" professionals, not "with".

So you can play in a team where no one is paid, ie COE in SEABL, but not on a team with pro's.
There is a loophole if player is still in school apparently.

Reply #497899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In stead of SEABL, in Victoria at least, I would play Championship Youth League. No players are payed and should be no problems with eligibility, even similar leagues interstate I imagine would be fine and of high enough standard.

Reply #497901 | Report this post

rex  
Years ago

Would be nice if there was a place somewhere in Australia that dealt with NCAA eligiblity questions that are Australian specific. e.g playing at what level and what league may affect eleigiblity , What high school subjects are required to meet eligiblity depending on what State you are studying in.

Reply #497905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those people exist Rex, but they usually want $$ for their advice!

Reply #497906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Big V, when you say use code 9999 to link your SAT score to the college, do you mean after you have done the exams or during them?

Reply #497907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about those who currently play in wnbl, as there would be a few I'd imagine

Reply #497916 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

A couple of points, firstly, make sure your kid can play, secondly, be wary of these academies that promise US pathways in exchange for $$.

Reply #497923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Pud, while your advice is noted, it is specifically for those who may not have the basketball skill level and need to pay for extra tuition that these program exist in the first place, is it not?

Reply #497927 | Report this post

rex  
Years ago

The 9999 code makes your SAT results available to NCAA eligibilty Centre.
I think that you have to pay the SAT board for extra copies of results that can be sent to specific schools.

I know of one girl who just played WNBL for a season and is now going off to play JC, had a contract but was not paid.

There are so many variants on what is okay and what is not it becomes very confusing.

Reply #497928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where do you put the code in?

Reply #497930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior college rulings are different again to the div1 as are the div2 rulings, you would think they would make it straight forward though wouldn't you

Reply #497931 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

NAIA different to NCAA. D1 and D2 NCAA same rules, just slightly different academic requirements.
D2 players are allowed to play back in aus in offseason so long as doesnt affect the pro rule. Same with JUCO and NAIA.
NAIA alot more relaxed academic standards, Juco another level below that academically.

Reply #497933 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

So where do you put the code in?

You have to register at Collegeboard.org the SAT results are posted there. It will also tell you the time date location and most importantly issue you with an photo ID that must be presented at the SAT exam. They control the SAT exam process not the NCAA.

9999 is the code for the NCAA so the results are sent to the NCAA Clearinghouse to determine eligibility.

For $91 rego fee you get to send 4 results to colleges of your choice, any more you must pay each time.

Reply #498012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for all the posts. Very informative.

I actually knew the answers before I started the post.

My point in starting the post was:

Why don't the State Association, Rep Clubs, etc let the U12's & U14's know.

There are and have been many talented kids miss out, only because they haven't studied the right subjects or gotten good enough grades. I would believe partly because they and their parents didn't know early enough.

All of the State Associations should have a permanent information page or link - at least pointing people in the right direction to find the answers:

i.e. NCAA, SAT, etc, etc

Or are they too insecure to do so? Do they feel threatened. Surely, that is their role, their charter, find & then develop talent to it's fullest potential. And if NCAA Div 1 or Div 2, NJCAA, etc is the way, then they should inform the players and their parents in U12 & U14.

Reply #498032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country Vic years ago did have links in their pathways info, not sure if they do now but do remember it being there

Reply #498038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your kid is interested get them to one of the sports schools they can help and have a vested interest in you kid.

Reply #498061 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

I would always suggest to do the leg work yourself. The NCAA have a great website and the respond to questions quickly. BUT details for International students change each year. And now Abbott is looking to change the curriculum this may change again!! I know of players who have been playing in WNBL, some who were Development Players and have had trouble. They, in USA, believe that we are more advanced at this early stage with Pro basketball. They want Amateurs only.Found an old BA Document'Making your çareer in Basketball'PDF. In the BA site. Its 5 yo but has some good stuff in it. Especially about what can and cannot be included in a Scholarship! Remember BA want players to stay in Australia!

Reply #498073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That's the exact problem with BA. They want kids to stay in Australia. For what? Sit on the bench with a SEABL, let alone NBL team!

Can't see how that is good for their Development.

Look at the Venky Jois interview on pickandroll http://pickandroll.com.au/timeout-with-venky-jois-an-eagle-set-to-soar-to-new-heights/

He says there is no better environment to develop as a player. Venky won the SEABL Rookie of the year prior to going to college.

Let's be honest, how many 18/19 YO's are playing in the NBL, let alone how many 20-23 YO's?

Stay in Australia to play what Big V or SEABL, then have to rack up a HECS fees going to Uni here?

Seriously BA should encourage kids to go as that is what is best for most of their development as players. Hopefully they come back and make an immediate impact in the NBL.

Sadly, I'd have to say most of the 22/23 YO's that come back from College can't make an immediate impact in the NBL. It's probably not until they are in their mid to late 20's, if at all.

Reply #498185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out the following:

https://secure.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/365261/BA_Making_Your_Career_In_Basketball.pdf

Perhaps BA needs to update this annually and insist State associations have a link to it on their website?

Reply #498188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See the following websites:

http://www.collegeeligibility.com.au/index.html

www.ncaa.org
www.collegeboard.com
www.collegeboard.com/parents/csearch/know-the-options/21385.html

www.act.org
www.actstudent.org
www.njcaa.org
www.naia.org
http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/education
www.aacc.nche.edu
http://usembassy-australia.state.gov
www.EducationUSA.state.gov
www.usembassy-australia.stage.gov/education

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/QualificationsRecognition/Default.htm

http://www.collegeeligibility.com.au/index.html

Reply #498196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA and from my experience BVC is the best breading ground for the AFL

Reply #498213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #779851 | Report this post

Been There  
Years ago

There are many reasons to go to college, but just as many not to.

If your child is being actively recruited from the better colleges in the big six conferences, go for it.

If your child is one of the much larger group that is good enough to get a scholarship somewhere, then be very considered in your choice.

College can be a fantastic basketball and life experience, but there are many things that can, and quite often do, go wrong. You will have very little control over most of them.

Just a couple of things:

Is your child a motivated and good scholar? The demands of D1 basketball are substantial and keeping up with both academics and training can be demanding.

Take everything the recruiting coaches say with a big dose of scepticism. In reality, most are under enormous pressure to win and their decisions will reflect that. The wellbeing of their players, both physically and emotionally can easily get lost.

Is your child able to train with an NBL team? Honestly, how many kids actually come back better players from playing college than those that spend several seasons training with the an NBL team?

Maybe, stay in Aus, train against seasoned pros, get a proper university degree and go from there. But if they really want the adventure of heading off to college, then make you talk thru all the things that can go wrong and the pressure they will be under, and good luck.

Reply #779930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality post Been There. One more thing, check your health insurance, some (most/all?) will have that you're only covered for actual basketball related injury/illness. Anything that requires medical attention outside of that can be deemed not covered and you may be left with hefty bill if you don’t have your own insurance on top of theirs

Reply #780023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been there. 100%

Reply #780027 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Been There, some very valid points you have made, obviously not directly related to the requirements but none the less very important considerations for anyone looking at the US college NCAA pathway.

If I may add something, if there is opportunity for any kid to go to a D1 or D2 where they can get a full ride or close to it (scholarship), it does offer the kid and the family that chance of a degree without a Hecs debt which can be a valuable achievement on its own.

Yes, there are many pitfalls, there are too many coaches under extreme pressure to just hang onto their jobs, winning is their priority in many cases and finding out what their personality and character is like from short transactions 1000's of miles away is extremely challenging.

My advice, similar to 'Been There's is that if your kid is really keen to go, do everything you can to support them and do your due diligence of course, but if they are not ready or unsure, better to delay it or look at other options, trust me it won't serve you well if you push a kid that isn't that keen to go...

Reply #780058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the colleges degrees are not recognised outside the US. If you come back to Australia you normally have to do a year or two to get the degree recognised. Yes still a hex debt but a smaller one.

Reply #780061 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ that's correct, however if you do your due diligence and check with our academia here before you choose your curriculum over there you can still get a huge benefit from your education status. Be it a small Hecs or no debt at all, it is still better than paying for accommodation, food and all the other things overseas students have to cover.

As long as you go into it eyes open and accept what you can get out of it, you can still come out with a decent resume, experience and qualification...

Reply #780251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754