Anonymous
Years ago

New Lady Bandits Head Coach: Michael Brookens

The Commercial Club Bandits Board is pleased to confirm the signing of the new Head Coach of the Lady Bandits for season 2015 and beyond.

The Board interviewed several candidates for the position of Head Coach.

'In total we received 7 applications for the position but the final decision was made easy given the quality of the successful candidate. We are delighted to announce the appointment of Michael Brookens as the new Head Coach of the Lady Bandits', President Michael Mack said today.

‘Michael is currently an Assistant Coach with the WNBL Dandenong Rangers; he is originally from the US but has spent several years in Australia in coaching roles most recently with successful programs Dandenong and Nunawading. In fact, Michael was an assistant coach to the Dandenong Men’s team in 2012 when the Bandits defeated the Rangers for the National Championship.

‘Michael has over 24 years experience as a head coach and player at all levels including High Performance at a Div II University in the US. He is a member of the American Basketball Coaches Association and also has coaching experience throughout the US and Japan.

‘With 4 years experience as a volunteer with the US high performance selection trials, together with his studies of biomechanics and Level IV Master Trainer certification, Michael brings abundant knowledge and experience to our program,’ Mack added.

Brookens was excited to be making the move to Albury-Wodonga. "As Head Coach my success depends on results. I have been a coach most of my life as well as an athlete, so I understand pressure and I understand that there are levels of accountability that have to be met on and off the court. My professionalism, ability to prioritise, organise and make sure things are done correctly, completely and with high quality keeps me in a position to always succeed no matter how high the demands of the position", Michael Brookens said today.

The Board’s decision to appoint a new coach followed a mutual decision with James Ballinger to part ways, given the program was not progressing as we had hoped.

“James understands the Club’s position and is supportive of what we are trying to do. He will be staying in the area and is heavily involved in coaching in junior representative programs, which is great. We thank James for his contribution to the program over the last two years’ Mack said.

Mack acknowledged that there was a lot of hard work to be done to make the program a more competitive force in the League, but felt strongly that the appointment of Michael Brookens was a positive step.

Topic #35654 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury women's job is the career killer.

Reply #497969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't get decent players to go to albury ?.......not like it's a hub of activity really, nothing much to aattract players to go unless they can really up the budget and pay for good players.

Reply #497973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be hard Im not sure who he can attract to albury. He also applied for Geelong job.
I probally would pick Albury over coaching
Geelong too. They are up there with killing careers, two coaches within a year and still no announcement???

Reply #497977 | Report this post

GetREAL  
Years ago

Poor guy, I hope the organisation sets him some realistic KPI's. I'd say winning three games next season would be an appropriate target.

The league is getting better every year and Albury will just keep slipping further and further behind.. even with two stellar imports, there still isn't a core group of locals to give them any proper support. And in my opinion there is NO WAY that any decent players from Victoria will go and play for him. He isn't that well respected after the butcher-job he's done of the Nunawading D-league women's program..

Reply #497990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agreed well and truely butchered that job... Im guessing he can sell himself pretty well and maybe Albury didnt really investigate previous history. Sometimes words on paper can get people over the line. I didnt realise he was an assistant to Rangers WNBL.

Reply #497993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards to Geelong the players were told they had a high profile coach signed. I wonder when this high profile coach will be announced?

Reply #497996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading this you have to wonder if the selection panel even checked just one reference. I am pretty sure they just kept going down a short list till some idiot said yes. His record speaks for itself so he will be gone in one season.

Reply #497998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong job has gone to Mark Leader

Reply #498006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Leader now - players were told David Herbert.

Reply #498009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leader has been announced as Corio.

Reply #498014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think he's just helping out rangers as they already have two full time assistant coaches, the same ones they had last year!!

Reply #498039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this bloke kidding himself?? If this guy was an athlete I'll be blown.
Agree, wasn't much good at Nunawading and reports are from Rangers he hung around like a bad smell.

Backwards step by the Bandits.

When a coach cant get a VJBL 1st team, but gets a senior gig that's scary.

Reply #498235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goes to show boards and interview panels have no clue.

Reply #498255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boards of SEABL clubs with no clue seems to be common theme.

Reply #498261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money doesn`t buy cents "sense".

Reply #498263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the same guy that sometimes sings the national anthem at Rangers games? American?

Reply #498266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats him ^ does a fair amount of talking..and obvisoulsy sold himself very well.

Reply #498305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another nightmare playing group.

Reply #498306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's proven science that your opinion and achievements are inflated by 45% in Australia, if you are American.

Reply #498308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest assured then touted his CV everywhere. Good luck. The Bandits may need more than luck.

Reply #498343 | Report this post

Callisto84  
Years ago

HES BUTCHERING AGAIN HES BACK WITH SHARP KNIVES ALBURY TEAM CHANGES BEING MADE

Reply #530017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its the same guy I think it is. Bad decidion originally.

Reply #530021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word around Albury is that the lady bandits aren't happy with Brookens. Players have quit and possibly more to come.

Reply #535177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ that's old news.. nix already mentioned in previous post that and could state fact.

Must be something going down on the boarder unhappy players parents people what's this guy doing besides is job? 1 from 10?

Get some wins and maybe the town will shut up

Reply #535181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't expect a team to perform when they aren't happy

Reply #535187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the 10th coach in 10 seasons isn`t he? I have no idea if he is a decent coach or not but one would suggest there is bigger problems up on the boarder then just coaches. Either they have a bad culture that isn`t willing to change or they are simply playing well above there means in SEABL

Reply #535229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ combination of both, not all coaches could be the issue, they need to go play BigV Div1 they would be much more competitive and then the parents wouldn't ve crapping on either

Reply #535251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree . Big V would be a much better league for the lady bandits players ... And their coach. Would that mean the men's team
Would have to pull out of seabl?

Reply #535366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK all new teams in the seabl have to have mens and womens teams. I would imagine that the Albury mens team could still play seabl.

Reply #535403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The men's team are great Brad seems to have found a way to develop his locals as well as some great recruiting!

You would get some sort of mentoring happening for Brookens with him! He's doing something right, big win at home tonight... The ladies... Another smashing loss! Top table game but still.. Something's gotta give!

When is enough enough?

Reply #535587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are simply playing out of their depth, just not up to that level !!

Reply #535592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ why take them battle knowing they are going to get slaughtered every week?
Surely they'd be running at a loss with the ladies program?
Can't see the real point in keeping them

Reply #535610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if the women's team ever had a good year? Or coach like showed any sort of future? Win more then 5 games?

Reply #535611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury women as a group are just not up to seabl level no coach could change that

Reply #535625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754