curtley
Years ago

NBL Article in Financial Review

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/nbl_shoots_for_profitability_HoMYajlfiYwkrYkCXkOF7N

Some clubs operate on $12 Million in revenue..... really?

Topic #35655 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In regards to television, we are in the final year of our deal with Network Ten [which screens two matches each ­weekend] and ideally we would love to stay with them for another three to five years. But we need every match live so maybe there is a hybrid model like the AFL where some matches are also on pay television."

Sounds like a potential co-broadcast deal with Fox Sports?

Reply #497945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we can get every game telecast live, that would be an excellent result.

I thought FOX SPORTS did an excellent job with the NBL in previous years, so I would be very happy with that.

Reply #497948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder whether the "But we need every match live" means the games that are telecast need to be live OR every match, of every round (ie all games of every round, need to telecast live) ?

How do others read the statement in the article?

Reply #497950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, nice article by John, who appears to know a bit of what he is talking about and I hope has basketball interests at heart.

How the media portray us )hoopsters and the sport of basketball) is important and negativity due to ignorance and a lack of interest should not be tolerated in the sports media today, in this country.

Example, this morning on SEN radio here in Melbourne our man Andrew Gaze spoke about the football and soccer with his co-comentator Andrew Maher and di so with his usual unbiased and friendly persona.

Gazey then had cause to mention a knee injury to a big name NBA player and how this will affct not only his team but possibly their finals chances and that of the division.

We are talking about a pretty big deal here, certainly one that basketball people would be interested in, also it was not just any basketball, it was the NBA!

What was Maher's response, well he just fobbed it off as unimportant and insignificant, basically treating Gaze and his news as irrelevant and with discontent.

Maher, you should apologise to Gaze and the basketball community, you are embarassing and your ignorance of the other world game is sad indeed mate!

Reply #497951 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How do others read the statement in the article?
All NBL games are televised, and they're all televised live.

I think they're looking at an ideal scenario (every game live on TV one way or another) and then working back from that. e.g., if they can't get that on FTA, they'll get it on a mixture of FTA and paid.

Reply #497952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So every game of every round to be telecast on TV and live?

Reply #497953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't related to the thread

Reply #497956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports are launching Fox Sports 4 & 5 from November 3. They will need more local live content, hopefully that means they relook at the NBL.

Reply #497988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

curtley what rock have you been under? Wildcats turnover $12mil as discussed numerous times on hoops.

Reply #497989 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Fox Sports are launching Fox Sports 4 & 5 from November 3."
Where'd you hear this? I got a letter from Foxtel about changes coming in November a couple of weeks back and no mention was made of this.

Reply #497994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where'd you hear this? I got a letter from Foxtel"

In the letter.

not sure if serious o_0

Google it the changes are mentioned all over the web.

Reply #498003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://m.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/fox-sports-presents-new-channel-lineup-with-best-year-ever-ahead/story-e6frf56c-1227046594056

Reply #498005 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I'm not sure if they will need any new content since they will most likely be transferring content over from the two channels they are getting rid of, Speed and Fuel TV.

Reply #498028 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

I reckon NBL should have Thursday game live on One, Friday Night Game live on One, Saturday afternoon live on Foxtel, Saturday twilight match live on Foxtel, Saturday night game live on Foxtel, Sunday afternoon match live on Ten, Sunday evening match live on One, Monday evening match live on Foxtel.

I reckon Ten and Fox will outbid 7 for the rights as thw NBL CEO seemingly wants Ten to stay

Reply #498151 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

The NBL needs to continue to develop its product and make sure it has a presence in as many major population area's as it can so that it can have appeal to TV stations looking to fill programming. It needs to be good enough that TV stations will pay big enough dollars for the rights to show it that those same stations will then sell the product to their advertisers and will spend their own money on promoting it. (At least if they promote it and it still doesn't rate they can then work with the league to make it more attractive. Right now only NBL tragics and channel surfers know its on).
BUT everyone will need to accept that if TV station pays for the NBL then it will want to control / influence the programming more and more. Like GF game 3 played at some rediculous time in Perth to suit TV timeslots on east coast.

Reply #498181 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Channel Ten has made it pretty clear that they don't care about the NBL and would rather they never signed the contract to begin with.

If they wanted to show any live NBL, they would have. The one they show "live" on a Sunday afternoon was a ploy to get the NBL to agree to a new contract reducing the number of games because the NBL were silly enough to allow a "near live" clause, which seems to have been blatantly breached anyway.

Reply #498192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the Sunday games are live in Sydney and Melbourne

Reply #498194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

William haha you type as if the NBL is in hot demand rights wise. We wish.

Reply #498200 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon #498194, you should try reading beyond the first sentence of a post.

Reply #498244 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I appreciate William's optimism that there will actually be someone bidding....

Reply #498250 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754