Anonymous
Years ago

2015 U/18 Aus Nat Predictions

With the venue announced and teams starting their trials any time now what are the predictions for the 2015 U/18 National Championship?

Topic #35676 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to go past NSW Country for the Gold methinks. Deep and talented roster provided the team is largely the same from Adelaide 2013. Kenyon, Cherry, Glover are all capable of leading the team to a win.

QLD North with Froling and McDowell-White should cause some headaches but I think will lack the depth in other position required to win a long tournament. Definitely capable of a medal.

VIC Metro should be there or there abouts as always, I expect a few changes from their 2013 U/16 team that won Bronze. Interesting to see how much they improve.

Don't like NSW Metro's chances with Isaac Humphries in the USA. Semi final should be as far as they go but still some talented kids there.

Shaping up to be a tight, high quality tournament nonetheless.

Reply #498286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking for the mens teams:

Don't forget New Zealand, they were strong in this age group and you just don't know what they will bring in size and talent, they are always a dark horse.

Expect a very different approach and team from Victoria Country from what they had in Adelaide too, they lost any chance well before they played in their team selection last time.

South Australian teams were good too, not sure how they will improve but they are getting better.

Is that right, that Will McDowell-White will change from Qld South to the North? If so, he and Harry will be a hard match up!

Reply #498292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Whole family is apparently relocating to Townsville. I think that makes them obvious medal contenders but I can't see them having enough depth to challenge NSWC or VICM.

Reply #498293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What month is this on?

Reply #498397 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

18 Nationals are on in Ballarat in April 2015 I believe. Weather should be perfect!! :]

Reply #498399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have any states selected their teams to take to Nationals yet??

Reply #500145 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Too early still, usually around late January - early February.

Reply #500233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to attend as a spectator....hang on not Victorian School Holidays,go figure BA

Reply #500238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are late games, always, starting around 7.30 or 8.00pm! Take a day off?

Reply #500239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, going to have too. Shame as we would love to get in more then 1 game a day lol.

Shame for Ballarat Basketball Kids who want to Volunteer and enjoy the atmosphere. Just Saying.

Reply #500245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear - what are your tips for teams/players to look out for?

Reply #500293 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am looking forward to these nationals as I have done so for a few years now, always great to see the young girls and boys grow up and now finally get their chance at the top end of their junior careers.

Hard to give an opinion on players until we see actual team lists, so I am sure we can discuss them in a couple of months, but already people are getting excited about QLD North this time around, in the mens.

I don't think the mens draw will be dominated by one state as much as last time, NSW was the dominant force two years ago when these kids were under 16's and they will again be strong, especially NSW Country.

I expect in the mens that Vic Metro and Vic Country will be stronger than in the 16's, also as always NZ will be the unknown dark horse that could do anything.

S.A. proved they are getting better this year making the bronze medal game in the mens and their girls also did great, they could be a surprise packet in April??!

It will make for interesting reading once teams are posted, for me I will be at Albury Wodonga in January first to check out the country cup, maybe we will see some kids step it up at this event...

Reply #500348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754