Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne United's performances

How much can these marque players be getting paid like kickert?

Topic #35693 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

to much one thing for sure the general manager needs to have a long look at who they picked up as marque players because its one of the reasons why the team sucks, along with the fact that the team is playing for them self and not for the team, so much for united about as united as Russia and Ukraine

Reply #498691 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A team of finishers at the moment. Guys like Barlow and Kickert are role players, talented role players but nothing more.

They need their imports making the defence shift but Dennis is still finding his feet and McRae is selfish.

That leaves everyone bar Wortho out of their depth offensively and not too many of them appear overly interested in playing defence.

Reply #498693 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

It doesnt look good....i know its early but Goorijan is the only one that can save them and he will cost a pretty penny.

Reply #498696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert is a stretch 4 trying to play 5. He's the wrong fit.

They should've signed someone like Matt Burston and let Walker play the 3 like last season.

Melbourne can never get the balance right. We had David Magic Barlow,.then we had the 3 head monster season with Cam Pippen Tragardh playing some minutes at 3 until they realised it was the worst idea since signing Axel Dench.

We can call this version D-Mac's donuts.

Reply #498706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant Burston instead of Barlow.

Or Luke Nevill.

Reply #498708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old Tigers, just a highly paid rabble as always.

Sad really.

Reply #498714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 93 Tigers team knew what they would turn into 20 years later they would be mortified.

Where as the Wildcats are just as strong as they will be to the end of time.

Reply #498715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow and kickert = overrated can see why they werent close to boomers.
Tomlinson has gone backwards.
No goulding has thrown them all out of whack.
Lack of coaching and direction, seems they don't run any offence except high pick and rolls.
Interior defence is woeful, walker, kickert heck even Wortho have been destroyed by Loughton, trigger, burston and Craig.

Reply #498716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne shouldve got a centre instead of mcrae

Reply #498719 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

To smugly toot my own trumpet: I called this before the season.

Too many egos. Poor coaching. No leaders. Not enough outside shooting.

Reply #498723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am amazed that people thought Anstey and Dmac can coach.

Reply #498724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dmac can't coach - and his new assistant is the Frankston Head of Basketball. Did they think Runchey was still in that role?!!!

Reply #498727 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Watch the replay,Macrae makes 3 point play does anybody go to him....NOT ONE!!!!That might say something.

Reply #498730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McRae seems pretty selfish watching him. They lack toughness too inside outside of Wortho. Instead of McRae they should've got a Centre and brought either Wortho or McRae off the bench. Could've been.
Dennis/Tomlinson
Barlow/Corletto
Walker/Odigie
Wortho/Kickert
Import/McMillan

Reply #498740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team will have a matchup that doesn't work for them.

United's matchup is obviously Cairns that they'll struggle with.

If they win on Sunday they are probably a game behind par and while I haven't seen anything positive on the court as yet (they look like they should all be wearing different uniforms). They need more Walker, more Dennis and less Mcrae, less Kickert and less Barlow.

Reply #498742 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Two things. They rely to much on 3 pointers and they are small as f***

Reply #498746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers will eat them up inside. Wesley and Pledger should have field days. Even Ibekwe

Reply #498747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho and Walker are the only ones who have brought it the first two games

Reply #498748 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Breakers will be short as for this game betting wise.

Reply #498753 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Happy Days - Actually NZ are not the favourites at $2 to win.

It's possible NZ could actually lose as they could come to the game complacent while United could be fired up with McRae having a big game.

Reply #498757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you seriously thing Dmac will fire them up, He's the loosest and most casual guy there is.

Reply #498758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days - Actually NZ are not the favourites at $2 to win.

So NZ are $2 to beat Utigers? I'm all over that shit.

Reply #498759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to have a dip at the $2 as well.

Reply #498766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know what kicker is get paid????

Reply #498777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what happens when you get "names" to coach and not people who actually know what they are doing.

It makes a mockery of the coaching profession. Jobs for your mates is pathetic.

The owners claim to be successful businessmen (and I'm sure they are) but they've shown themselves to be useless as owners of a professional sports team.

Reply #498779 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Kickerts salary at the moment is a hotdog and can of coke, well that's what he deserves..

Reply #498780 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

They definitely need more set plays in the half court getting guys like Walker, Barlow, Kickert in the right spots. Can't rely on them to consistently create their own shots.

A quick side note, the Cairns courtside announcer makes the game almost unwatchable for me with his constant screeching of 'Defence'. It seems like it's every single defencive possesion. Are people at the stadium cool with it? Because it is really grating on the broadcast. Just wondering if there's a reason the announcer does it constantly other than his own sheer bloody-mindedness.

Reply #498781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you read the rules a court announcer is not supposed to do exactly what you are complaining about. Why its allowed I have no idea. They are supposed to commentate only. The other thing that I am amazed at it the leggings that many players wear. Under FIBA rules these are illegal as well. If you want to see the ultimate "Defence" court announcer look no further that the oft reported Wayne at the Melbourne not United. Every weekend he breaks the rules and has done for years.

Reply #498782 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm not buying into this "Cairns are just Melbourne's bogey team argument"

I think they will struggle to make the top 4 in general.

They don't have the size and inside presence to compete with the likes of Perth and NZ and can't beat Cairns.

Those three teams will finish ahead of them.

Then they will have their usual inconsistencies and nightmare games (like the Tigers of last year) and drop a few games to the other sides.

I see them 5th or just limping into the top 4 for an early finals exit.

Reply #498787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance they may be bottom. Let's hope they find a decent Head Coach and a decent Asst in a hurry. Of course they are scouring the world. ;)

Reply #498797 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Whose the guy who stands at the end of the tigers bench, he one of the owners

Reply #498816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all the Melbourne United HATERS well well well there you go, Kickert our marquee questioned goes off for 19pts in one half. McRae questioned goes off for 25+. Dennis coming into form slowly. There you go HATERS you obviously envy Melbourne and Victoria, two bad games against a bogey team and you write us off.

By the way thanks to the punters pounding NZ... LOL. Melb went all the way to $2.18 oh yeah made some moolah this afternoon. LOL @ ppl above saying NZ should be short price favourite + $2 on NZ being a steal.. yeah the bookies stole from YOU!

Reply #498855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McRae 31 points ohhh yeah

Reply #498856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Calm down, one win does not a season make, and Kickert hitting a few jump shots doesn't tell us anything. I tipped them today but I'm not completely on the bandwagon yet, if they play with today's energy each week they'll win me over.

They'll have to play well to win in Townsville next week, then the Hawks will be no easy beats, then a trip to Perth, they've got the talent but have to do the work.

Reply #498858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Dennis is who will drive them, finally he is getting into form, people who were hating after the first two games needed to calm down and now they might. Many already wrote off United after playing the one side twice and Dennis still transitioning in, just wait for him in full gear.

Reply #498861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume now the hate will subside, show us some love in this thread, come on you know you want to :P

Reply #498873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And all the haters for Kickert. LOL.

Reply #498920 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Breakers aka Brickers were plain horrible at both ends. United still have a way to go to get anywhere. They will struggle with TSV/ADE/Perth size - expect kickert to foul out and be ineffective. Pledger is injured and unable to come out to cover kickert - well that was most of NZ.

Reply #498925 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Venom I share your concern about facing Perth's size. United would have been better off signing Luke Nevill or Matt Burston instead of Barlow to round out the roster. Walker could have played the 3 like last season with support from Odigie. Other options would have been playing Wortho for a few minutes at the 3, or playing more small ball with 3 guards at once.

Not Adelaide though- Schenscher has always been soft as butter, and BJ Anthony might have muscle but he lacks the skill to make them pay- refer Tai Wesley yesterday.

You have to admit though, that the Kickert matchup works both ways. If he shoots like yesterday, will any of the true paint players of the NBL be able to follow him out to the perimeter, firstly to get a hand on the shot and secondly will they have the footwork to defend him off the drive? Think Burston, Tragardh, Jervis, Gladness, Schenscher, Nevill. I watched United vs Crocs at the Blitz, Kickert was hitting from everywhere and utilising footwork to get to the basket and Gladness couldn’t stop him. (Admittedly Gladness was dominant around the basket at the other end).

Reply #498970 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Offensively they've struggled against zone and played well against man. Both Townsville and Wollongong's zone will be a good gauge.

I think the defensive intensity they finally showed against NZ will be important to generate some buckets before the D is set.

Reply #498974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754