Mystro
Years ago

R2. United Vs Breakers. Hisense Arena

New Zealand make the journey to Melbourne to take on United after beating Adelaide at Vector Arena on Friday Night while Melbourne fell to Cairns again.

I don't think NZ will be complacent, just tired from playing last night and travelling today.
If they got a good recovery session in I think they will be good to go as Dean Vickerman rotated his players pretty well against Adelaide.

New Zealand have a number of long defenders that they can put on McRae and their team defence has been good so far and Ibekwe & Pledger offer plenty of rim protection. Tom Abercrombie looks healthy and offers an accurate perimeter shooter for Cedric Jackson to find along with Cory Webster.
TeRangi will need to shake off his off court/in court issues & stay out of foul trouble so he can contribute a lot more than he did on Friday night to keep Barlow & McRae honest with Abercrombie playing limited minutes as he comes back from the Hernia operation he had pre-season. Rhys Carter continued to impress at Vector against the 36ers with his jumpshot & ability to run the team or play off Jackson.

Melbourne don't have a lot of size and have instead relied on Mark Worthington & Lucas Walkers hustle but they will have their hands full with the Vukona/Wesley rotation so other players will need to roll up their sleeves for United like Barlow, McRae & Kickert.
United will be a much better team with Import Stephen Dennis getting a game under his belt on Friday and appear to have shot the ball much better from the perimeter than they did in R1 against Cairns zone but I would still expect NZ to test them with a zone early on.

I think NZ will get this one, Dean Vickerman is coaching his team well and making the necessary adjustments when needed and has a roster that plays both ends.

Topic #35696 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hard to find positives for the Melbourne boys. Sometimes a new coach at the helm can give them a spark and they have to rely on New Zealand being jet lagged, so it's hard to tip against the Breakers. Breakers should get this one quite easily. Wortho v Vukona will be a highlight, but Melbourne lack the hunger IMO.

Reply #498762 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The way Abercrombie and Webster slotted back in on Friday this looks pretty tough for Melbourne, especially as Adelaide only made them work for about half a game.

Melbourne just aren't defending with any vigour, and that has to change tomorrow because it's hard to see them beating the Breakers in a shoot out.

Reply #498763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne will win.

Reply #498770 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Breakers by 12

Reply #498772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne will be desperate for their first win after dropping two games against Cairns, who look like the real deal early on. They have the talent to beat the Breakers but they need the structure and system to channel that talent.

The Breakers on the other hand have shown championship caliber, something I - as a Breakers fan - didn't expect from them this season. They are prone to being streaky at times, which United can take advantage of. They'll also be jet-lagged heading into the game.

Even if the United can take advantage of the Breakers streaky nature and jet-lagged bodies, the Breakers look too well-rounded and in sync to be be toppled by this lost Melbourne side.

Breakers by 7.

Reply #498775 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am watching United on the TV (Sydney United v Wanderers), sorry... :]

Reply #498793 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I got a $10 multi on NZ and Cairns to win by 11 or more..paying $175.

Sunday games ...all teams played earlier in the round..think we could see some comfortable margins of victory. Fingers crossed anyway.

Reply #498831 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Those Breakers uniforms though.

Not sure if i like. Thoughts Mystro?

Reply #498833 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. Kockerts defence on Ibekwes move.

My gosh. That was awful.

Wortho looks good

Reply #498835 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I love Ebekwe..perfect fit for the Breakers and this league. Mobile 5 man.

Great early defence from Melb

Reply #498836 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is this McRae's last game?

Reply #498837 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like last seasons Black/Blue, this seasons are horrible.

Breakers looking flat, shooting horribly and making Melbourne look a whole lot better than they are.
McRae is a blackhole, hopefully his team mates get in his ear about giving the ball up.

Reply #498838 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ playing pretty shit.

Reply #498844 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

McRae seems like a very selfish player. A few times already this game when he has just gone one on one early on without looking interested at all at passing or setting up any offence. Not sure he is the right fit for a team that's already loaded with talent and scorers.

Reply #498845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At the moment Webster and Abercrombie have 26 points on 10/19 shooting, and the rest of the team has 16 points on 6/32!!

Reply #498847 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you add Pledger into that group they have 32 points on 13/23 with the rest having 14 points on 5/31!

Reply #498848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the United haters now?

Reply #498850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not at the game, looking at the stands. Let's hope the team plays with this much energy consistently, we want as many quality outfits in the league as possible.

Reply #498851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all the Melbourne United HATERS well well well there you go, Kickert our marquee questioned goes off for 19pts in one half. McRae questioned goes off for 31. Dennis coming into form slowly. There you go HATERS you obviously envy Melbourne and Victoria, two bad games against a bogey team and you write us off.

Yeah ok MACDUB McRae 31 points I think he is staying for a while.. LOL!

Reply #498857 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Questioning the team with a 0-2 start with that amount of talent is not 'hating'.

Are there any stats as to the attendance of this game?

Saw quite a few empty seats but they were behind the backboard.

Reply #498860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-2 over one weekend is hardly a barometer. Slow start + your PG not playing one of those games and transitioning in. How hard is that to understand. haha seriously

Reply #498862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-2 over one week that should read (last Sunday to the Friday)

point remains though

Reply #498863 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

New Zealand couldn't hit the side of a barn. Better get home regroup and sort their shit for Cairns on Thursday.

Reply #498864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3978 crowd very poor I thought all associations were on board... worrying :(

Reply #498865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last weekend of Junior tryouts for most Associations. A number of other events involving Juniors. Was never going to be a huge crowd this weekend, but a win last week would have helped

Reply #498869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also soccer on accross the road....

Reply #498870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne City relanuch hype trumps the Melbourne United relaunch x1,000. Basketball is losing so much ground to the world game :(

Reply #498872 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Credit Wortho for trying to bring this team together.How come the refs aren't miked anymore.Still not sold on United.Breakers were poor today.

Reply #498874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not miked up because last week all you could hear was the head ref telling the players to hurry up during every stoppage. Reason for that is Ten want the game to run quickly to fit into two hours snuggily with 10-15 mins left for postgame analysis.

So Ten hurry everyone up, relay it to the refs, then cut the mikes when that's all you can hear them say.

facepalm

Reply #498878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If United shoot 50/50/100 as a team every game they'll be awesome.

Reply #498880 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

McRaw showed some nice things today.

But he has the same attitude as Carlos Powell..selfish.. i watched him at the end of the game with 20sec left and he was still trying to go 1 on 1 to get his.

McRae won't be winning games for United but i think he will be losing a few.

Reply #498884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is this McRae's last game?"

Probably a bit too early for an NBA call up already.

Reply #498885 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I got this game right.
McRae was my early pick for scoring champion but he also comes across a selfish player at times.
NZ are better than that they had a shocker today.

Reply #498887 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Gidday , hungover and slightly pissed off got stuck in the elevator for 4hours this morning on my way to work #WeAreMelbourne

i was at the game and the crowd was half full

even with all the club memberships they give away to all the teams in victoria

S/O to Marco Alexander for the sweet tickets

sat with the United Wags , the Disco hype man is a shyte gimmick

the DJ played the music so loud , couldn't hear referee's whistle

United played awesome in parts , the last quarter not so

Breakers had a bad game , but congrats on the first win Melbourne

Ebs & Flows

Reply #498995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754