Anon
Years ago

How many Rep comps ban parents from training?

Is it common place?

What are the pros and cons & the real reasons behind it?

Most parents don't want to go in, but being told you can't is probably the worst thing they could do.

Topic #35725 | Report this topic

coach  
Years ago

I like parents to attend. It shows they are interested. It lets them see "what a good program" you are running and gets them onside.

As a coach you need the support of the parents as well as the players to have a successful season.

Reply #499252 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well said.

Banning parents just sets up unnecessary barriers and actually portrays the coach as having people issues, a lack of respect, or a lack of self confidence. It portrays the coach as having a secret agenda they are unwilling to share with others, or an inability to effectively interact with others.

I have seen coaches like this before who cannot interact effectively with the stakeholders around them. God knows how they actually function in a workplace dealing with people.

Reply #499254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pros and cons for closed try outs, well there is a question that is sure to evoke plenty of debate.

I couldn't see too many people agreeing on one or the other, it will be mixed. I have been on both sides at rep try outs, selector/coach and parent.

If closed try outs are so parents don't argue about who didn't make a team, wrong, that doesn't work.

If it is to make people feel like they are not trusted to watch and the coaches appear to be snobs, yes, there is an element of this for sure.

If it is to just avoid parents and questions until try outs are over and teams selected, then yes, again that one works a treat.

There could be a number of other reasons, I for one don't think either way is better than another, however closed sessions for rep' smack of a lack of self confidence in the coaches (perhaps fearful of any criticism) and it builds an appearance of hiding something on the Association's behalf.

Reply #499255 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Concensus at an Association that has recently started doing this (closed sessions at try-outs) is that the coaches love it, but the parents miss being able to watch or at least have the choice to do so, the kids don't care either way...

Reply #499282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it wasn't the norm for parents to put undue pressure on their kids, overanalyse the game with their gkids, coach from the sidelines and often become abusive when their kids don't make a team they thinkg they should have then this wouldn't be good.

Jack the game is about the PLAYERS. NOT their parents and NOT the coaches. As you seem to be someone that I doubt has played outside of their local domestic league I doubt you really, truly understand what this means.

Reply #499291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which clubs are banning parents?

Reply #499293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong started it two seasons ago.

Reply #499294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It appears that most the comments are referring to tryouts. So to add my $.02 worth.

There should be nothing to hide from parents throughout tryouts, or training sessions over the season. That being said, there there are many benefits of not having parents courtside during tryouts.

It is natural for parents to want to see how their children are performing and/or progressing. Parents should be welcome to observe tryouts however they should not be distraction to the player trying out. All coaches would have seen over enthusiastic parents trying to provide coaching to their children during tryouts and most have even seen parents harass coaches during tryouts.

The club in which my children play at do not allow parents courtside, however, the parents are quite welcome to sit in the higher areas of stand or the canteen area. To be honest it seems to be an excellent system. Parents can see and the players are not distracted.

Reply #499303 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"If it wasn't the norm for parents to put undue pressure on their kids, overanalyse the game with their gkids, coach from the sidelines and often become abusive when their kids don't make a team they thinkg they should have then this wouldn't be good."

Not that I do so, but that's about as good a reason to lock out parents as ever.

Reply #499317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This post is becoming a little bit parents v coaches as it was always going to end up like. Poor kids, the sandwich in between!

It is such a shame that one or two always seem to wreck it for the majority though. I wouldn't think there are many bad parents, also there are many more great coaches than problem ones out there.

Better to educate and make sure everyone understands what is accepted and what is not than a blanket ban.

As a parent I would not like to be labelled as not worthy of watching my kid try out or part of a percvieved problem; But if an Association has a poor track record of problem parents I guess this is how they see resolving the issue!

Reply #499319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a parent and I think not having parents at tryouts is a great idea, great if they can watch from viewing gallery or outside the crts, but having them inside does distract a lot of kids as they look to their parents either for guidance or anticipating the criticism . But I think parents should be welcome at general trainings, there they can get to know other parents, and form friendships but they should all realise that they are NOT the coach and should keep their conversations away from the subject of basketball if possible.

Reply #499341 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Parents are banned from watching training at Kilsyth. The teams have been selected.
Some great responses above. I think the worst thing is being told you cant do something, most parents dont go in or care whats done, but some just enjoy seeing how their child and the team are developing.
Also many parents are domestic coaches and take the opportunity to watch and learn.
There is absolutely a lot of insecurity in this descision.
They risk alienating the parents who fund the programme.

Reply #499384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a parent i think it is good for parents to be able to watch. If i do not like the coaching style then i will move on. I suppose the coaches that do not want the parents to drive the kids to training will come and pick them up from their home.

Reply #499398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, don't treat parents like crap until they act in a manner which sees them deserve it I say!

Reply #499435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

435, you don't get it! It's not about the parents. It's about the players.

Reply #499460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's all about the parents dreams. Just ask them...

Reply #499469 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

parents at rep trials is also OK with me.
Rep teams are best announced days latter on the club website at 5.00pm on a Friday. That gives people who missed out, the wkend to "let their anger" die down before confronting the club.

It also prevents scenes in front of players as happens when teams are announced at the conclusion of the last trial.

Reply #499477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a coach I welcome the parents there. From a OHSW perspective it gives me support when injuries occur; it protects me from situations that can be misconstrued ( think mandatory reporting); it gives me other "coaches" that I can use to pass balls, watch for things etc; it allows me to find team managers/assistant coaches quickly; it tells the kids that they are being supported.....the list goes on. You would have to be pretty insecure as a coach to not be comfortable with an audience.

Reply #499489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"parents at rep trials is also OK with me.
Rep teams are best announced days latter on the club website at 5.00pm on a Friday. That gives people who missed out, the wkend to "let their anger" die down before confronting the club.

It also prevents scenes in front of players as happens when teams are announced at the conclusion of the last trial."

A lot of the joy went out of coaching for me when they stopped us from seeing the quivering bottom lips and the broken hearts when you read out that cut list at the end of trials....haha....just kidding.

Parents are always welcome at my training sessions, as long as they confine their activities to drinking wine and eating cheese & bikkies up in the stand. Or running a clock if I ask them to. Anything beyond that results in a polite conversation, once only, which stops the problem.

Reply #499490 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Its a great idea. Lets the coaches, assistants, director of coaching disucss players, team make up, team needs, etc. without the need to worry about parents over hearing comments.

It also helps many of the kids concentrate on pleasing the coaches rather than overbearing parents.

Communication with parents can and should take place in a meeting room away from the players throughout the tryout process.

Reply #499497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excluding parents from try outs is a worrying sign of the over importance the head of coaching places on him/herself, and the culture and program they are in charge of.

Get over yourselves, the most important thing you do is provide an inclusive welcoming environment. If you can't communicate with parents in an open, positive way you are in the wrong job.

Reply #499859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

859, it's ALL about the players. You don't seem to get this.

Reply #499876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^ do you want to explain for us what you mean by your comment, it's ALL about the players?

Players don't care either way, so why is it about them?

Parents are not all bad, so why paint them all with the same brush?

Care to explain what you are on about in some detail??

Reply #499889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes #499876, your comment is a pile, do you have anything to contribute?

Reply #499891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

891, no. I don't. That is it.

Reply #499927 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Anon #927 are you posting here as a coach or parent?

Curious...

Reply #499930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a parent at Geelong and loved the idea of the closed try outs. It's a practice session where people/coaches with years of experience can just do their thing. Geelong even had music blaring while the kids were scrimmaging, they loved it. Now that the teams are in place, everyone is welcomed at practices and their hashtag of #supercatsfamily is obvious with all the smiles around the place.
Geelong is getting it right for sure.

Reply #500062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ I am a parent at Geelong and loved the idea of the closed try outs. It's a practice session where people/coaches with years of experience can just do their thing

1.Practice ? it is meant to be a try out. Are the Teams already picked before Try Outs ?.

2. People, who are the people ?

3. Music blarring at a Try Out , are you kidding me.

#gonemade

Reply #500247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754