Anonymous
Years ago

R3 Hawks vs Breakers

Hawks demolished by the Sixers, NZ also hard to measure after facing the Taipans. Interesting encounter, is the Hawks record really indicative of their quality? Time will tell.

Topic #35739 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Watching delayed. Hawks bigs need to be more patient with their moves inside. Davidson showed how with a purposeful move.

Reply #499832 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Somehow at half time it is still a close game. Not sure if the Hawks can get in front though!

Reply #499833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they have experienced refs at this game. It has the potential to be explosive. These two teams have a rivalry dating back to 2000 and something.

Reply #499837 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

The awe of the breakers has been removed the last few games. Hawks didn't play very well but managed to almost steal it - again.

Hawks shouldnt be 1-5 - but its 4Q's not 1Q you have to play ball for.

Reply #499843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2 import point guard experiment is a failure

Reply #499844 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The 2 import guard experiment was a no-show this weekend with Ervin leaving the game injured, and Carson leaving Thursday's early due to illness.

Regardless, it's way too early to consider it a failure.

Reply #499847 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What a close game... or at least I assume it was.

Thanks to whoever is in charge of the NBLs telecast graphics.

Reply #499849 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Being 6'9" playing basketball for 20+ years and still being incapable of even attempting a left hand layup is a failure.

I am not a fan of having both Ervin and Carson as imports either but I think it is a little early to blame the Hawks lack of wins on those two. Ervin didn't play much in the second half today and Carson was ill on Thursday. The loss of Martin was huge for the Hawks and with Demos being their only other guard option there is not a lot the can do.

Reply #499850 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hawks unlucky. Great OR by Abba at end. Just chewed up enough seconds to kill the Hawks off

Reply #499852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin and Carson are the same players. They both are undersized and aren't really playmakers.

Trade Carson and Larry to United for Dennis and Walker.

Should help both teams.

Gives Gong a taller guard that is a playmaker and give United more size instead of only Kickert.

Reply #499857 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Carson too timid.Let the reins loose and see what he can do.

Reply #499861 | Report this post

T. Rex  
Years ago

I think for the Hawks, Ballinger is not playing the forward roll as strong as he did in Adelaide. Or they are not working him into their plays.

Neville is big, but a bit of a gentle giant, they lack some options for solid post ups power forward type plays.

Reply #499866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NEVER trade Larry

Reply #499869 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

probs shouldn't have got so close. stupid intentional foul with breakers up by 5 with 10secs left. makes you wonder

Reply #499871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is Carson is a liability on defence - breakers scored so many easy baskets against him

Reply #499875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen all Hawks games by any stretch, but I reckon that Nevill addition has rattled them somehow. And a system that seemed to work with a core of Martin-Saville-Forman-Davidson, and then Martin-Coenraad-Forman-Davidson has effectively lost two of those key players from the starting five this off-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gruber is quite disillusioned with his role, and possibly Demos too. I'd trial starting Demos and Davidson in place of Carson and Nevill. Get the foundation set and then have two dangerous players coming in as early subs?

Reply #499880 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Taips tried the double import PG with McCamey and Wilson - it was a stinker with neither knowing who was what when and why.

Reply #499885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just don't understand why a glue guy like Gruber is not playing.

Reply #499886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Gruber is injured.

Reply #499893 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Gruber is not injured. Was suited up today but didn't hit the court.

Reply #499894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks have too many players. Gruber is inactive.

Reply #499896 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

He is not inactive. He was against the 6ers but he suited up today. Cooks was inactive today and I expect that to continue. How Gordie works Gruber into the rotation is another question. They could really do with another shooting guard. The problem arose because they acquired Nevill after they has settled on their roster.

Reply #499897 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Demos has been a good servant of the Hawks for a few seasons now and you can't question his heart and his work ethic is undeniable.

I just wonder whether its time to let him go at the end of the season.

He hasn't progressed quite like it was hoped and the shooting guard position has been the Hawks downfall for the last few seasons.

Time to move in a different direction methinks.

Reply #500006 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I thought Demos had a great, although unspectacular, game against the Breakers. Hit open shots; made the right passes and right plays; generally defended well, including forcing Abercrombie into a turnover late in the game.

I haven't been his biggest fan over the past few years, but if he's producing this well as a local role player, you have to keep him around (for the right price).

Reply #500008 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

They probably should have done it this season since even ordinary players will likely be in demand with the added teams next season.

Reply #500009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my solution

Cooks to inactive

starting five should be

PG Ervin
SG Coenrad
SF Hill
PF Gruber
C Davidson

Bench

Carson
Demos
Forman
Ballinger
Neville

Better balance with those rotations and gives neville and Carson a chance to get into the flow of the game -

Reply #500039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be the first coached sacked? Gordie or Cotter? Who else will the Hawks or the Kings beat?

Reply #500042 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Waste of money for Wollongong having 5 bigs in my opinion - the money could be better distributed elsewhere.

Reply #500046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754