Mel
Years ago

Mornington Breakers committee

I am stunned at what this committee is up to. I have to wonder if someone on there has the intent of shutting the club down!
They had their tryouts, every one was assessed, the normal sort of stuff.
But then it turns out, it was all for nothing!
They lead us all to believe that new players are welcome and now the committee has turned around, over ruled the teams the coaches wanted and pretty much told everyone, if you're not already playing here then we don't want you!
Seriously, how do you tell kids that could get you into VC, no because you weren't here already! How can they be so discriminatory, but then why would they want to be?
Then, they are trying to keep it all quiet and make it seem like it's the coaches doing this.
People need to know, it's the committee making these decisions, not the DOC or his team.
I wonder can we vote no confidence in the committee?
Maybe just attend their meetings and get the minutes.
I say this because I'm concerned the club will go under if they stay in control.

Topic #35746 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Mel, sounds interesting.

Are they saying you cannot play rep for us if you are not already playing at Mornington?

Or are they saying that you cannot play rep for us if you do not play at Mornington?

Reply #499814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most associations only ever allow two players to transfer into each respective representative team.

So essentially you could end up with two players in each team from other clubs. Though most associations by laws will only accept the transfers if they participate in the clubs domestic competition. This is based more apon the junior rep levels. obviously.

Reply #499845 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Will be down there this week so i'll see whats going on.I saw one boys age group had 6 teams begging that earlier discussion about quantity over quality.

Reply #499854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#499845 the VJBL only allows two transferring players per team, but that doesn't sound like what Mel is talking about at all

Reply #499858 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

lol, good ol' Mornington

Reply #499865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about someone having the balls to tell them they need to apply the rules.

Reply #499867 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

It says in there information pack that if two players are competing for the same spot the Breakers player will be given preference and the Breakers sub committee has the right to override any decision made during the trials.

Reply #499877 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

lol, so the DOC doesn't have the final say? or is he the "sub-committee"?

Reply #499879 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The way i read it there Breakers Sub Committee have the final say not the DOC.Have the Breakers Sub Committee attended all three try out sessions???

Reply #499882 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Ryan Tindal was offered $10K, with bonuses, to play D2M down there by DeMarcus.

Money to burn!

Reply #499914 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He would be on about $3k at Frankston.Thats good coin for him.

Reply #499923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The trouble with Mornington is that it is being run by non basketball people with a strong undertone of nepotism thrown in. They don't understand the concept or what is required to grow a program,junior or senior. The DOC position should just be renamed DOG, Director of Google.

Reply #499928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good???? That is great coin for him. Hope he can live up to it.

Reply #499929 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Can tell you as Fact Ryan Tindal was not offered 10K to play at morno

Reply #499931 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

annymous..you are quite correct the committee of management is full of inexperienced people with non basketball backgrounds, and is totally dysfunctional

Reply #499949 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Who is their women's coach? Have the players voted in who they want to run the program yet, because after all it is their decision @ Mornington right?

Reply #499953 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Experienced sporting people on the committee but with little basketball experience.They need to get somebody to come in to do an independant review of there program.

Reply #499958 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

who has sporting experience maybe 1 ?

Reply #499959 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

One at the highest level the rest at a local level.

Reply #499973 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

The problem they don't want "outsiders" to come in and help, they have proven in the past that they just chase them out of the club as they don't want to hear the truth about their shortfalls. They have senior players dictating who coaches their senior teams, and they have MANY agendas within the committee (like most clubs really).

Happy Days, this association with its lack of Administration and Governance would be like a nightmare for you lol.

Reply #499978 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ashke i've been asked and not interested.Got enough on my plate to deal with let alone get involved down there.

Reply #499981 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

It sounds like the original post is having a sook because there son/daughter do not make the team the parent thinks they deserve.

Anyhow, my favourite statement in the thread and you have to always love this statement:- "The trouble with (insert any club name here) is that it is being run by non basketball people...".

Have never actually been sure what a "basketball" person is! Maybe it is just: When they were younger they were tall and thin like a post and as they get older they are round and full of air, like the ball.

Basketball people often equates to nepotism personified. If you're not a basketball person you can't be on the committee, you might bring some non-basketball ideas. Bahahah what a load of Sh$%

The more non-basketball people we get into the sport the better. Boards and committees need to have a balance of people. The people with organisational history (basketball people) are needed as are new fresh ideas in order to improve and grow

Reply #499992 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

FUBR...haha you must be one of morningtons committee

Reply #499995 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

FUBR, you are wrong sorry. If you are going to be on a Junior Rep Sub Committee and over ride your DOC, then you sure as shit would want to be a basketball person, ex coach, ex player etc. Not someones mum who is protecting their sons/daughters spot in the team.

How can you not make a team at Mornington? Thats the most concerning part IMO, they take everyone which i guess is fair enough if thats want they want to do, so how do you not make a team in a free for all association?

This isn't a case of blaming a committee person OR their DOC, its the entire set up and running of their operations manual.

Reply #500007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is good to have a mix on a committee there are many decisions that need to be made when running a club. Unfortunately most of the time there are emotional reason that get in the way of people making the right decisions.

Having outsiders who can make a call from an unbiased and romoved position can sometimes be a good thing.

Reply #500011 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

How do a bunch of washed up players in D2 decide who the coach is? D2 players are dime a dozen, just tell the players that are trying to dictate who the coach is to move on, then you can build a culture and start to be successful.

Reply #500051 | Report this post

Joshua  
Years ago

Former NBL training member and SCM player rocked up last season to play there and was told by the coach that the players didn't want him taking there minutes and was asked to leave

Reply #500058 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Hahahaha oh Breakers. Surround yourself with losers and you will be a loser.

Reply #500060 | Report this post

TheTruth  
Years ago

Re The so called NBL training squad member

As a part of the men's program last year I can tell you that this so called "player" contacted the coach half a dozen times over a month promising him he would come to the next training session then just before the training session would text with a ridiculous excuse as to why he couldn't make it,.
Then finally a month before the season he texted the coach and said I'm happy to come down but I would be wanting a starting point Guard position the coach said if you're good enough it's all yours, so he turned up at the next session in Adelaide 36ers uniform (which screamed arrogance) he had the players that were getting ready for training on the sidelines in stitches with his jumpshot it was that bad, then when they scrimmaged got his arse handed to him, and that was the last we saw of him I guess it was too embarrassed to come back.... I guess you can buy 36ers uniforms cheap at Rebel!!

Reply #500077 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

What is it with basketball clubs on the Peninsula being poorly run?? Although I have heard that Westernport Steelers are expanding and taking over Frankston!

Reply #500090 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Western port expanding and taking over Frankston? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply #500091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern pen seem to be in a decent position looking at it from an outsider.

The smaller D2 clubs around the league are always run by players and people with their own self preservation as the main priority.

These clubs don`t have an abundance of feeder talent coming through so the senior players hold them to ransom.

Happens in many situations, once the clubs finally get the balls to make the hard call they may have one or two lean years,. the positive is that they can start to build a succesful culture.

Reply #500107 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Westernport taking over Frankston, people really shouldn't type on this forum whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs or both...

Reply #500114 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

Chook you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.............

Truth you are 100% spot on with your version of the NBL dremer

Reply #500125 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

Anonymous: if southern Pen were in such a good position why have they withdrawn their YL mens side and are possibly close to withdrawing their YL womens side ,because they are quite financial their senior teams are full of paid players brought in each season

Reply #500127 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Player, which comment are you referring to me being wrong about?

I think we all tend to over exaggerate how many players actually get paid to play the game, especially at D1 and D2 level. How was the Sth Pen senior teams full of paid players? The Women's program last year was predominantly juniors who can't get paid and I doubt many others apart from the Import were getting paid from the Men's team.

Reply #500134 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

player, you are a bit off the mark. Yes the YL Mens team have been withdrawn, however the YL Women's team has plenty of juniors. Though this has nothing to do with financials what so ever, simply a numbers game. As for the senior players being paid, well of course a few of them are, but not to the extend you are going on about.

Reply #500147 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

Am i the only one who wants to know more about this theory on how western port are going to take over frankston?!

Reply #500148 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Southern Peninsula Women are signing an import and 2 marque players.

Reply #500154 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Perhaps Western Port are taking over Frankston by signing Kenny Brunner and re-signing Manny Hendrix hahaha. In the media release, the signing of Kenny is sending earthquake like jolts through the basketball community.....ooohhhh did ya feel that? hahaha

Reply #500205 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well I think WP's big news just broke, technically it was earth shattering news as it register .000000000001 on the recta scale! or that might have been my lunch digesting? If you are going to build up a story, at least make it worthwhile. Taking over Frankston? LMAO

Reply #500208 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Peninsula Women are signing an import and 2 marque players.

if they are anything like the last lot of 'marque' players then they will need a very good import, all that media hype last season re signing that tassie kid, she never too the court, the Pearce sisters, ok one was injured but the other did nothing, their strength came from the juniors at the end of the season...and the import, didnt she just dissapear!!
still think they need to stick with div1 a few more years

Reply #500212 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have always thought that Peninsula Basketball should be united. Geographically I understand its a large area, but 3 Associations in one municipality creates headaches when fighting for sponsorship and council dollars.
Between all 3 Associations they have approximately 11 Big V teams, 70+ Junior Rep teams and countless Domestic teams and players. Surely, with those kind of numbers, you could support a stand alone basketball facility with SEABL & Big V programs (like a Geelong model)as well as pooling of talent so the best juniors on the Peninsula could play in a VC team in each age group, instead of losing talented youngsters to bigger neighbouring clubs (Frankston & Dandenong).

I understand the politics and clashes in personalities and agendas, but for the betterment of basketball in the region, I think it should be looked at...

Reply #500696 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Anon totally agree.Consolidation of resources creating cost effiencies.Unfortunately easier said than done.

Reply #500705 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Happy days, this was tried a couple of years ago and never got off the ground to many agendas and not enough people with vision.

Mornington at least have a plan, good or bad, at least it's better than 12 months ago. Was at the SPBA AGM last weekend, when the President announce that they would save $10k by not entering a Yth League Men's team. The members were furious for not being told earlier. Then he announce that the Board of Management which has been running the association for the past 16 months has had to tip in $40k, of their own money as they have run out of money, this was seen as a pled of guilt from the President rather than committment, they should be really embarrassed, by their own mismanagement.

Reply #500715 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Tried a couple of years ago anon ?
I know there was a Peninsula A League for the Domestic teams, did it go further than that ??

Reply #500729 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

From where Mornington were they are at least on the right track as they have been a rabble in the past.SP change their tune every year....They did a review several years ago which put a structure in place but that lasted 12 months and then they went back to their old ways.Leagues and Associations now need to run as a business or they will continue to lose money hand over fist.You'd hate to think what forensic accountants would find in some of these clubs....

Reply #500735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You make it sound like all is wonderful at mornington , why are people leaving in droves and why is the club not very financial. Could it be the amount they are paying the DOC ????

Reply #500758 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Are they paying the DOC definately.Ive spoken to alot of parents they are much happier than previous years but they still have a long way to go.Need to get an independant review conducted of the club by somebody like an Al McAughtry and give them a blueprint of the way moving forward for the club.

Reply #500769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy days , you think DOC is working for free for the love if the game , I don't think so !!!. Have you seen the car he drives it doesn't even have Mdba on it .haha. So when they cry poor we all know why !!!

Reply #500831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Mcaughtry to provide blue print haha same guy that walked away from Frankston after one very average year?

Let's see if he can get his own house in order first at DV

Reply #500837 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Al walked away from Frankston when they broke promises on his budget,blocked him recruiting players and then wouldn't let him change imports.No wonder he left....

Reply #500849 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Al McAughtry very much has his own house in order, maybe you should take a drive out to DV and see how things are going out there. I think you will find he has had a lot to do with several Aus players, countless state players, extremely strong coaching network, and gets some world class guest coaches in on a regular basis.

Not to mention he supplies his coaching staff, rep and domestic, with some great info via their FaceBook page and website, I read all of them and learn from them and I aint even from DV lol.

He mentors some of the best up and coming coaches in our state, has had some great coaching gigs himself in the past. So to have a pot shot at him after one season at the Blues simply lets me know you know very little about the game, let alone coaching and coach/program development.

Please find me a coach that hasn't had "one" less than average season.

Reply #500850 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The great thing about Al is he is a teacher.DV program is very well respected and it wouldn't hurt to have him come down and review there program with a fresh set of eyes.I do find it interesting how clubs do there own reviews which it makes it hard to be critical of ones self.

Reply #500886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Attacking Al Pal is the same as saying Popovich is a dud

Reply #500888 | Report this post

The mad hatter  
Years ago

Club has lost it ,,,,,,,,,,wrong people making decisions with little to no experience all have their own personal agendas not worried about long term for the club .....all about ther own, this goes for senior program as much as it does juniors. No other club allows player to pick the coach. But oh yea morno do

Reply #502688 | Report this post

Hogwash 72  
Years ago

I would love to have a coffee with Mel ???

Reply #503084 | Report this post

Hogwash 72  
Years ago

The committee picked every player DOC had no say!!!

Reply #503086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754