Peter
Years ago

36ers have contacted Ingles & Motum

Lets hope they can make this happen. It's good to hear they are on the front foot and in there having a crack.

Assume both have already been paid a lot for this season so may be happy to come back to NBL for less $ than Europe. Joe Ingles' fiance is captain of the Adelaide Thunderbirds which could be another factor for him.

Would add a lot of strength and would help fill up the Arena.

FULL ARTICLE

DUAL Olympian and Euroleague champion Joe Ingles and fellow Boomers forward Brock Motum were released by NBA teams yesterday, Adelaide among the first NBL clubs on the phone.

Sixers coach Joey Wright confirmed he spoke with the agent for Adelaide-born Ingles yesterday morning, soon after news broke the 198cm swingman was no longer on the Los Angeles Clippers' roster when it was reduced for the start of the NBA season this week.

He also spoke with representatives for Motum, the 208cm, 24-year-old released by Utah Jazz, to assess what he might do next.

Adelaide is beset with injuries and has the option of putting swingman Mitch Creek (ankle) on waivers until he heals. That potentially would give Ingles a playing "home", the Boomers’ unofficial captain engaged to star Thunderbirds netballer and captain Renae Hallinan, the couple owning a house in Adelaide.

Creek is expected to conservatively be missing for six weeks and 36ers import Jamar Wilson also is out for at least two with a hamstring injury.

Fellow import Daequon Montreal suffered a hip flexor injury which restricted him to 20 minutes of Thursday’s 94-73 home win over Wollongong.

Adelaide hosts New Zealand on Sunday, the Breakers escaping Wollongong with a 79-77 win yesterday.

The Sixers also have an injury cloud over swingman back-up Peter Crawford (knee bruise) and Southern Tigers swingman Sam Johns, who suffered an ankle injury at club training and missed the Hawks game.

“We’ve made some phone calls,” Wright said.

“You have to find out what they may be thinking.”

A Brisbane junior, Motum is close friends with 36ers guard-forward Brendan Teys.

“I think he and Teysy have been best friends since they were five or six years old and started playing basketball together,” Wright said.

“And Joe (Ingles) is such a great player, we’d definitely be interested in him.”

Ingles tweeted yesterday: “Thanks to the @laclippers for the chance to be here & meet some great people. Onwards and upwards”

Motum tweeted: “Just gotta keep working!”

Sixers management was last night unavailable for comment.
Originally published as Sixers keen to grab Ingles

Topic #35751 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

That would be HUGE if they got either of them, let alone both. Even for a short time.

Reply #499960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have to make the call even if it goes nowhere.

Reply #499963 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Just say Ingles or Motum did decide to play, what are the chances of getting them under the points cap?

Would it be a case of replacing Montreal or would someone like Crawford give us enough room?

Reply #499968 | Report this post

neutral  
Years ago

Hold your horses people...........
Read the article

this says "Joey Wright has contacted the agent" to find out what they are thinking

It also says "36ers management were unavailable for comment"

Read between the lines, and this says coach would like to bring in these guys to replace injured players but guess what???

Someone has to pay them & management more than likely don't have any cash, otherwise they would have recruited better imports to begin with

Reply #499971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine in the unlikely event that it happens it would be getting rid of montreal for motum and wilson for ingles. Gibson could and would then run the point.

Reply #499972 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

neutral, Ingles already got $560k from the clippers (I believe that was his guarantee or somewhere around that mark as someone else said on here). So if that is the case then this is the perfect opportunity to get him as he might play for limited money. So it is possible, still very unlikely but possible.

Motum didn't have a guarantee so I doubt he would be possible since he would be chasing big dollars in Europe. Only chance for him would be to play a few games here until he signs in Europe.

Reply #499975 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I didnt realise Adelaide had so many injuries.

Reply #499979 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Wait... Wilson is out for at least 2 weeks?

Reply #499983 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sources suggest Hire and Wagstaff are out.

Ingles & Motum to sign for Perth.

Reply #499988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im glad that atleast the phone calls were made even if neither come.

Damm we are struggling with alot of injuries this season, just losing Creek for 6 weeks is bad enough, i guess at worse its an opportunity for guys like Daly and Teys to get some good minutes, but will make it very tough to win alot.

I reckon if Ingles got his payout from the Clippers he is the more likely of the 2, especially given he has a house and his fiance in Adelaide aswell.

How we fit them in, without checking i think we have 4 or 5 points left under the points cap, so initially could put Creek on injury waivers which would clear enough points to fit say Ingles in. When Creek returns we would likely have to release one of our imports to keep Ingles in, which for me is a no brainer if you can get Ingles you do it and work out the rest after.

Reply #499989 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I suspect this is just a smoke screen by the club wanting to show disgruntled fans that they do their due dilligence.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make the call but they should only make that call if they realistically want to follow through with it.

IMO getting either of them in would have to be for the season...no point getting them in for 6 weeks as it will just disrupt the team.

Getting both of them would be unlikely as well I would have thought. Together, they would be 20 points where as Montreal and Wilson are 19...not sure if we have that extra point spare in the cap?

Also, dont players have to be paid an amount within a range based on their point value?

Lastly, if the Sixers arent willing to spend on a better import why would they all of a sudden spend on Joe and/or Brock?

Reply #499993 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

In all seriousness though, if Wilson is injured, I think ADL should look at cutting him.

I think Wilson is the 2nd worst starting PG in the league (only better than Perry).

Reply #499994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im pretty sure we had 5 or 6 points left when we signed Daly as our 10th man, who was a 1 or 2, so points shouldnt be a problem fitting either of them in, im pretty sure we can just replace our imports with them.

Reply #499996 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd argue he's better than Markovic/Norton (whichever they are starting at the point) too.
And Dennis hasn't really proven anything yet at Melbourne.
The top 3 have better PGs in Wilbekin, Jackson and Martin. Then the next 3 I'd go for Wilson at this point. Then Ervin vs Wilson is splitting hairs depending on the night.
So he's roughly middle of the pack. (DQ on the other hand would be in the bottom 3 imports, easily).

Reply #499998 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given neither has played in the NBA, I imagine they would both be nine-point players returning from Europe.

Reply #499999 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

DQ might be struggling due to his Hip flexor and Jamar being out is an issue...think it might be Jamar who'd be cut first as at least DQ is on the floor.

Brock ain't coming back as the money in Europe will be a lot better and he'll need to keep getting paid and stay on the NBA's radar in Europe.

Ingles is more likely but he'd be a pretty good chance to get a well paying Euro gig as well.

Adelaide prob wouldn't have the money to spend on Ingles anyway & from his point of view yes he has already got some money from the Clips but he now has the chance to pick up a full contract in Europe as well...so why would he take a huge paycut to play in the NBL as it is effectively a double pay in 1 year chance which prob won't happen next year or ever again, then in a year or so might come back.

In the NBL only maybe Melbourne could afford him but they'd be the only ones who'd make that kind of splash with deep pockets.

Reply #500010 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hope Adelaide can secure these guys either on a short term injury contract, or if players are to be cut, as replacements.

If they go to Perth I think there will be a riot

Reply #500012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher.....because his girlfriend lives here.

Reply #500018 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Ingles was not guaranteed 560 for two weeks of training camp. The nba is not that ridicululous. He would have got 40-50k tops. He has repeatedly was not guaranteed this money. He would have got that if he made the roster.

Reply #500019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my guess is 36ers have 250000 left of salary cap and 250000 in marquee left

ingles marquee
brock motoum in salary cap
he could be Brisbane marquee next year

Reply #500022 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

scopes44, after looking around you are correct, it seems there was no guaranteed contract. Therefore, the chances of the Sixers getting Ingles is very small.

"my guess is 36ers have 250000 left of salary cap and 250000 in marquee left"

You guess very wrong. They are close to the salary cap as is.

Reply #500024 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers have no money

Reply #500025 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

KingJames, I think we might be over paying a couple of contracts...

Reply #500026 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Ingles is more likely but he'd be a pretty good chance to get a well paying Euro gig as well."

The opposite actually. It has been widely reported that "Ingles has had a tough time generating interest on the European professional circuit"

Ingles has been criticised by a lot of NBA experts..isn't getting interest from Europe and yet turned down private workouts from NBA teams in July.

I do believe his management have made some errors.

How do you go from having a 2 year deal on the table from Memphis, to having 7-8 NBA teams keen to not securing a roster spot at all.

Reply #500029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ingles won't have any trouble getting a job in Europe, he's a local, but the question is whether it's a job he wants.

Reply #500033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where will the spare points come from? Let alone the money.

Reply #500037 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I think its far more likely that the new Brisbane Team would try to recruit one/both for the following season.

Reply #500038 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If the NBL was smarter (in a bizarre parallel universe) they'd start the season later so guys like this could be picked up as marquees.

Reply #500040 | Report this post

NBAfan  
Years ago

If his agent doesn't try hard to shop him around for try outs on other NBA teams now, he is done at making the NBA ever IMO

Reply #500043 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"If the NBL was smarter (in a bizarre parallel universe) they'd start the season later so guys like this could be picked up as marquees."
You'd have to start it in mid-November, probably, to give teams time to sort that out. And how likely are teams to wait, and let other good players get snapped up, on the off-chance they can get a late release?

And they've already compressed the schedule dramatically to avoid the AFL, imagine lopping another month off.

Reply #500045 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If the NBL was smarter (in a bizarre parallel universe) they'd start the season later so guys like this could be picked up as marquees."

I don't think they should base their season on the possibility of picking up players who are unlikely to have a major impact on the leagues' exposure or standard.

If they got a major TV deal that only wanted the league to run November to March then go for it, but you wouldn't start later and run the comp into footy season for a few players around the same standard as others already in the comp.

Melbourne picked up Flynn in this situation recently, as did Townsville with Nevill. It can be done if teams want to. As it is teams are still getting Daniels, Ennis, Childress, Jackson, McRae in the current format.

Reply #500049 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The Sixers organisation is definitely still on the ball as far as team improvement is concerned.

This goes some way to proving that this team is not settling but indeed reviewing their requirements as they arise.

If the team is open to bringing in more talent, then that is a good sign they are willing invest accordingly.

No way Wilson should be cut.

Who here thought Wilson would be the 5th highest scorer in the League after 3 rounds? Thats more than Daniels, Beal, Kickert and Childress.

And on Wilson's money....how are you going to find a like for like?

People here dissed DJ when he was around, now he is gone and people want him back.

Don't make the same mistake with Wilson.

Reply #500072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who here thought Wilson would be the 5th highest scorer in the League after 3 rounds? Thats more than Daniels, Beal, Kickert and Childress.

And on Wilson's money....how are you going to find a like for like?

People here dissed DJ when he was around, now he is gone and people want him back.

Don't make the same mistake with Wilson.

Who here thought that of the Top 10 scorers in the league after 3 rounds Wilson would have the worst FG% (38.6%)?

Stick to predicting what a star Montreal was going to be, MC.

Reply #500079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picked up by the jazz

Reply #500093 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Marcus Camby...Wilson may be top 5 but he has been very inefficient in getting there as anon above pointed out.

Wilson needs to be a little more playmaker and a little less shooting guard.

Reply #500100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754