orbit
Years ago

Predict the penalty for Childress?

Brain freeze & i bet he regrets it. Would get 6-8 weeks in AFL.

I reckonn he'll get 8 games! $2000 fine.

Thoughts?

Topic #35754 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Im not sure if he will get that long. I think the charge for bringing the game into disrepute will get dropped, he may get 2-3 games for unduly rough play and 1-2 games for 1-2 for striking with an elbow. I imagine some of those games will be a suspended penalty so maybe 3-4 games with him only missing a couple of games. But that's just a wild guess

Reply #500075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

four games and $4,000

Reply #500076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he cops it back harder!!! I am a Perth fan but I would love to see him do that to Vukona? He would've got up and made him piss!!!

Reply #500083 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I definitely reckon the NBL should give a bigger fine and less games. Something like 2 games and $5,000. Gives the NBL pocket change and doesn't keep one of the leagues most exciting players out for long.

Reply #500086 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Of course, because you want tribunals to act independently on the interests of the fanbase ... where is Happy Days to talk governance for us?

Reply #500087 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

He wouldn't have done it to Vukona, because Vukona isn't a dirty player who earns elbows to the chin.

Reply #500088 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

no games, $1 million fine.

Reply #500094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is a no-call a cop out? If it is a legal screen (which I believe)Childress ran into legal screen, the screen is designed to get his team mate (Beal) open. Childress didnt run through the screen thus putting Wagstaff at a disadvantage. The screen did what is was supposed to do. Just because there is contact does not mean a foul has to be called, not all contact on a basketball court is a foul. It's the same dumb argument that the foul counts must be equal.

Reply #500095 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The NBL is notoriously weak when handing out suspensions.

It will probably be 6 games suspension but 4 of those suspended so he will only have to miss 2 games.

So that will mean he will be back for the Sydney vs Adelaide game and will probably drop 30 on us in a winning performance.

Reply #500098 | Report this post

magnum27  
Years ago

Going on past tribunals, a suspended sentence will be the result.

Reply #500099 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldn't say the NBL tribunal have been soft in the past, I'd say they have been wildly inconsistent.

Townsville Crocs import Casey Calvary got suspended for a game a few seasons back for staring at a referee, while guys get suspended sentences all the time for dangerous violent plays, so who knows.

I'd say 1-3 games would be fair.

Reply #500101 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd also say something that violent needs to be dealt with with a match suspension, not a suspended sentence, even if it's only 1 game. Do they take into account the fact that he was already ejected?

Reply #500102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well recent precedent of Ervin kneeing Goulding received a 2 match suspension with 1 suspended. I'm expecting 4 games with 2 suspended

Reply #500103 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

"He wouldn't have done it to Vukona, because Vukona isn't a dirty player who earns elbows to the chin."

^^ This

Wagstaff sucks.

Reply #500110 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

We all know a fine is a waste of time for someone with his cash. But I think they will go with 6 games with 4 suspended and hopefully a fine that they can put towards a decent website.

Reply #500115 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What Childress SHOULD get: 4-6 games.

What CHILDRESS WILL get: 2 games, possibly even with 1 of them suspended and a token fine.

I'm predicting this will be a fine example of the NBL being a bush league with no balls.

Reply #500116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sentence him to running free coaching clinics every weekend for the rest of the season.

Reply #500129 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

What I am bracing for is a flurry of ridiculous comments about how the NBL is teamed up with the Perth Wildcats and it will somewhat favour the decision against Childress. Careful the aliens are amongst us . #conspiracy

Reply #500132 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

No doubt about it he deserves a suspension and I would say that regardless of which team they played for.
3 games is my guess.
Hopefully then everyone moves on he is a great player who did something stupid but life goes on.

Reply #500136 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

The toughest penelty for Childress would be to make Him spend a weekend with Carfino, on a lonely island. He'd come back a changed man!!

Reply #500139 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Playing for Sydney Kings in a way is a penalty :)

Reply #500141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 games $15000

fine for the incident and post game tweet

Reply #500142 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

3 games for elbow - $5,000 fine for tweet

Reply #500146 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Internet Trolls have recently targeted him in extremely obscene ways, absolutely pathetic.

Reply #500158 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Curtley : I saw that and I'm disgusted on some of the comments made towards him. He did wrong, I don't condone what he did...but he doesn't deserve those comments. Times like that I despise social media.

Reply #500169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you expect, Australians are pretty racist people.

Reply #500178 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon #0178 - That's a racist comment right there. Not all Australians are racist. Vilifying an entire country based on a few of it's citizens is as guilty as the accusation you make.

Reply #500183 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Curtley / Train - He should have ignored and deleted the troll comments. Obviously what the trolls want is attention and by posting what they said he is giving them the attention they want. Now probably more trolls will attack him.

All professional athletes and other famous people are targeted by trolls regardless of what country they are in.

Reply #500186 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

King James : Totally see your point there. He could use a little more common sense when it comes to Twitter lol.

There was an article on SMH about the Twitter abuse.... might be even more attention for the trolls
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-import-josh-childress-faces-racist-abuse-on-twitter-20141028-11ctfb.html

Reply #500191 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

More publicity for the NBL

Reply #500192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you might find that seeing as the 'alledged' incident caught a fair bit of US media attention that some or most of those tweets were from people in the States...

Reply #500204 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Personally think he should be dropped for the whole season send him back to USA , what sort of example is he setting for young kids watching this sport. he has anger management issues which have no place in sport at all.
don't buy the brain snap, he was just pissed off, he's lucky he didn't hurt him badly

Reply #500211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train: "That's a racist comment right there. Not all Australians are racist. Vilifying an entire country based on a few of it's citizens is as guilty as the accusation you make."

Australia isn't a race, you moron.

Reply #500226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 games, 1.5k fine with 5k suspended.

Reply #500229 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon #0226 Maybe not directly but the comment was generalizing a countries population. Maybe Prejudice was the better term. Even so...you would be a moron yourself if you couldn't figure out the point i was making.

And like i said " Vilifying an entire country based on a few of it's citizens is as guilty as the accusation you make "

Reply #500248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Verdict yet???

Reply #500252 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

1 game.

Reply #500268 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

1 game ban, $7500 fine, 1 game suspended sentence

Seems lenient to me but I'm glad. League needs him playing :)

Reply #500269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, the league needs him playing but the league also needs to consider acting appropriately on these matters. The punishment is inappropriate. This is a backwards step for the league.

Reply #500270 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Oh well it's been dealt with now , time to move on . I'll be looking forward to the rematch in 3 weeks time :) hopefully it brings in a massive crowd to sydney :)

Reply #500271 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

I think from memory that's the same penalty Ervin got last year. Childress transgression seemed far more serious to me.

Reply #500272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so many wrong. How weak is the nbl.

Reply #500274 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Tribunal have done their job, or have they?

One week suspended sentence places additional onus on him not to do something like this again, fair enough.

The fine isn't going to hurt I don't think, but the NBL isn't known for its big fines either.

One week ban is interesting, I will explain...

I know this is the NBL, I also know this guy is potential NBA material again too, however if a junior in let's say the VJBL (because I know this competition and how it is officiated) did something like this the kid would have no way got away with one week.

I suspect any junior doing something like this would have been charged with several offences and probably would have missed months.

So, I am just asking what the message is here?

Reply #500275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress knows who's running the league.

Reply #500277 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"So, I am just asking what the message is here?"
Adelaide need help selling tickets, Cairns don't?

Reply #500278 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That should be Wollongong, not Adelaide. Got their double-header weekend mixed up.

Reply #500281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange in the old days that players were suspended for weeks for far less.

Reply #500319 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754